PDA

View Full Version : Didja feel it Bob? Oz is a shakin

K7SGJ
08-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Hope your okay over there Bob. Shiley, one of those Russian tubes wasn't the cause. Stay well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/16/us-newzealand-earthquake-idUSBRE97F02520130816

N2NH
08-15-2013, 11:19 PM
That IS quite a jolt. Hope all is well down unda.

KJ3N
08-15-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure Bob would feel a 6.8 quake from 1,000 miles away, in another country.

Bob = VK (Australia)

New Zealand = ZL

Then again, since I'm not a seismologist, I could be completely wrong. :dunno:

VK3ZL
08-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Nope..The world didn't move for me....I live in a very stable part of the world...Melbourne and towns East sometimes get a bit of a shake but I am far West of all that, 250 miles near the VK5 border....I live in ancient Volcano country...There are many extinct cones all around me....Mt Gambier just over the border is a large volcano area, the Blue Lake is the biggest cone and is famous for it's beautiful Blue water color which changes over the season...Google Mt Gambier Blue Lake..I live in a very beautiful part of Australia..

Often wonder if some of our old volcano's will spark up again one day...I guess then I will feel some rumbles..

Bob..VK3ZL..

Bubba
08-16-2013, 03:05 AM
I felt it..

WØTKX
08-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Nope..The world didn't move for me....I live in a very stable part of the world...

Big country... you're not on the ring of fire, but ride on one if the oldest undisturbed tectonic plates on the planet.

Ancient ones, dream time. ;)

wa6mhz
08-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Oh, THAT was what it was! I thought a Cat just jumped up on the bed!

suddenseer
08-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Nope..The world didn't move for me....I live in a very stable part of the world...Melbourne and towns East sometimes get a bit of a shake but I am far West of all that, 250 miles near the VK5 border....I live in ancient Volcano country...There are many extinct cones all around me....Mt Gambier just over the border is a large volcano area, the Blue Lake is the biggest cone and is famous for it's beautiful Blue water color which changes over the season...Google Mt Gambier Blue Lake..I live in a very beautiful part of Australia..

Often wonder if some of our old volcano's will spark up again one day...I guess then I will feel some rumbles..

Bob..VK3ZL..I remember some of the stunning photos that you have posted. You do indeed live in one of the more beautiful places on Earth. Scenery, amplifier building skills to pass down, Over all cool guy. Would you please reconsider adopting a 53 year old kid? Dad? I can learn to say, "g'day".

WØTKX
08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Just don't say "mate" to a horny kangaroo...

VK3ZL
08-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I remember some of the stunning photos that you have posted. You do indeed live in one of the more beautiful places on Earth. Scenery, amplifier building skills to pass down, Over all cool guy. Would you please reconsider adopting a 53 year old kid? Dad? I can learn to say, "g'day".

I adopted the lot of you when I joined the Island Tim...You can all call me Pop..Yes' it is quite a nice area to live, mostly farming, bush and millions of acres of Pine and Eucalypt plantations. During the summer it does dry out and gets a bit ordinary but for the rest of the year it is green..I am 50 miles from the famous Coonawarra vinyard's...That is something to see..One can call into any of the dozens of wineries to taste their products..Google Penola..

Bob..VK3ZL..

VK3ZL
08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Just don't say "mate" to a horny kangaroo...

Close to the mark...Kangaroos can do some real damage if one decides to take to you...Generally though they avoid people...These days our native bush is being over run with feral deer, pigs and dog packs..Feral Dog packs are dangerous and cause immense problems to farmers wantonly killing sheep and young calves..Rabbits used to be the worst problem to the environment but with new viruses introduced their numbers have dropped dramatically...

As a contrast Jeannie and I love the North American/Canadian and European natural forests and countryside...Australian bush is drab in comparison due to the dry climate..However one can find beauty anywhere if one looks for it....

Bob..VK3ZL..

K7SGJ
08-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Close to the mark...Kangaroos can do some real damage if one decides to take to you...Generally though they avoid people...These days our native bush is being over run with feral deer, pigs and dog packs..Feral Dog packs are dangerous and cause immense problems to farmers wantonly killing sheep and young calves..Rabbits used to be the worst problem to the environment but with new viruses introduced their numbers have dropped dramatically...

As a contrast Jeannie and I love the North American/Canadian and European natural forests and countryside...Australian bush is drab in comparison due to the dry climate..However one can find beauty anywhere if one looks for it....

Bob..VK3ZL..

That's a true story. I find much beauty in the desert where we live. Many people just see a barren wasteland.