PDA

View Full Version : FCC Spanks DNJ Radio

W3WN
08-15-2013, 11:55 AM
In today's FCC digest was this little pearl:

DNJ RADIO. Issued an Official Citation and Order to DNJ Radio for marketing unauthorized radio frequency devices. Action by: District Director, San Francisco District Office, Western Region, Enforcement Bureau. Adopted: 08/14/2013 by Citation & Order. (DA No. 13-1755). EB
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1755A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1755A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1755A1.txt

DNJ Radio, as of a few minutes ago, has yet to remove any of the problem items from their web site (http://www.dnjradio.com/). Especially the RM Italy amplifier line...

WX7P
08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
BAAAD things always come from Fremont, CA

kb2vxa
08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
The C&O was only released today, they'll receive it by snail mail in a few days so how can you expect DNJ to act before they know anything about it?

KJ3N
08-15-2013, 01:04 PM
DNJ Radio, as of a few minutes ago, has yet to remove any of the problem items from their web site (http://www.dnjradio.com/). Especially the RM Italy amplifier line...

Since this only came out today, I'm not sure how quick of a response you expect. :headscratch:

NQ6U
08-15-2013, 02:07 PM
BAAAD things always come from Fremont, CA

You're proof of that, you East Bay freak, you.

WØTKX
08-15-2013, 10:30 PM
I know folks that have those amps, and they get a little "dirty" if driven hard.

But if you keep 'em at 75-80% of rated output, it's a lot better.

And no, I'm NOT talking about 11 meters.

W3WN
08-15-2013, 11:05 PM
The C&O was only released today, they'll receive it by snail mail in a few days so how can you expect DNJ to act before they know anything about it?
Since this only came out today, I'm not sure how quick of a response you expect. :headscratch:Merely an observation, nothing more.

IIRC, the date on the letter itself was Wednesday. How the letter was sent to them (registered? overnight? electronically?) and how soon they actually act on the instructions therein, I have no idea.

W3WN
08-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I know folks that have those amps, and they get a little "dirty" if driven hard.

But if you keep 'em at 75-80% of rated output, it's a lot better.

And no, I'm NOT talking about 11 meters.I still remember the Hamvention where someone from RMI walked around the Arena stands handing out their flyers; I think I still have it around here somewhere.

Pretty brazen, advertising 4 kW & 10 kW PEP output amplifiers (amongst many others) which can not be legally used by US amateurs. But what's the worst than can happen to them? They're beyond the reach of the FCC, and if their US distributor du jour gets burned, there's always another schmuck one standing by to take over...

KC2UGV
08-16-2013, 06:37 AM
I still remember the Hamvention where someone from RMI walked around the Arena stands handing out their flyers; I think I still have it around here somewhere.

Pretty brazen, advertising 4 kW & 10 kW PEP output amplifiers (amongst many others) which can not be legally used by US amateurs. But what's the worst than can happen to them? They're beyond the reach of the FCC, and if their US distributor du jour gets burned, there's always another schmuck one standing by to take over...

Were those adjustable output?

I could see the 4kw amp being useful to a ham, driven at 25% for long RTTY sessions.

n2ize
08-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Here is my question about "certified" ham equipment. Okay, in the bold days equipment was not "certified" since many hams built it themselves. And I assume the same was true for most old commercial gear. On none of my commercial boat anchors is there any mention of the equipment being "certified". Okay, so now I assume you can still build your own non-certified equipment but all commercially made gear must be certified. Older equipment that was not certified must have been "grandfathered in" and is legal for use and resale. But what if some ham asks me to build him an amplifier and he pays me for it. Would that be legal ? Or would I have to gain certification before I could sell it. I don't quite get the distinction.

NQ6U
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
§ 97.315 Certification of external RF power amplifiers.

(a) Any external RF power amplifier (see §2.815 of the FCC Rules) manufactured or imported for use at an amateur radio station must be certificated for use in the amateur service in accordance with subpart J of part 2 of the FCC Rules. No amplifier capable of operation below 144 MHz may be constructed or modified by a non-amateur service licensee without a grant of certification from the FCC.

(b) The requirement of paragraph (a) does not apply if one or more of the following conditions are met:

(1) The amplifier is constructed or modified by an amateur radio operator for use at an amateur station.

(2) The amplifier was manufactured before April 28, 1978, and has been issued a marketing waiver by the FCC, or the amplifier was purchased before April 28, 1978, by an amateur radio operator for use at that operator's station.

(3) The amplifier is sold to an amateur radio operator or to a dealer, the amplifier is purchased in used condition by a dealer, or the amplifier is sold to an amateur radio operator for use at that operator's station.

(c) Any external RF power amplifier appearing in the Commission's database as certificated for use in the amateur service may be marketed for use in the amateur service.

KC2UGV
08-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Here is my question about "certified" ham equipment. Okay, in the bold days equipment was not "certified" since many hams built it themselves. And I assume the same was true for most old commercial gear. On none of my commercial boat anchors is there any mention of the equipment being "certified". Okay, so now I assume you can still build your own non-certified equipment but all commercially made gear must be certified. Older equipment that was not certified must have been "grandfathered in" and is legal for use and resale. But what if some ham asks me to build him an amplifier and he pays me for it. Would that be legal ? Or would I have to gain certification before I could sell it. I don't quite get the distinction.

Yes, I believe you can build 5 a year for personal use, and 1 for sale each year... I swear I recall something like that.

NQ6U
08-16-2013, 01:43 PM
§ 97.317 Standards for certification of external RF power amplifiers.

(a) To receive a grant of certification, the amplifier must:

(1) Satisfy the spurious emission standards of §97.307 (d) or (e) of this part, as applicable, when the amplifier is operated at the lesser of 1.5 kW PEP or its full output power and when the amplifier is placed in the “standby” or “off” positions while connected to the transmitter.

(2) Not be capable of amplifying the input RF power (driving signal) by more than 15 dB gain. Gain is defined as the ratio of the input RF power to the output RF power of the amplifier where both power measurements are expressed in peak envelope power or mean power.

(3) Exhibit no amplification (0 dB gain) between 26 MHz and 28 MHz.

(b) Certification shall be denied when:

(1) The Commission determines the amplifier can be used in services other than the Amateur Radio Service, or

(2) The amplifier can be easily modified to operate on frequencies between 26 MHz and 28 MHz.

W3WN
08-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Since this only came out today, I'm not sure how quick of a response you expect. :headscratch:

Merely an observation, nothing more.

IIRC, the date on the letter itself was Wednesday. How the letter was sent to them (registered? overnight? electronically?) and how soon they actually act on the instructions therein, I have no idea.FYI:

As of this afternoon, the website no longer shows the items in question.

(Probably were pulled in the last day or two, this if the first chance I had to follow up)

WØTKX
08-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Family Guy understands. NSFW alert.

http://youtu.be/QFe0ZACgq6E (http://youtu.be/QFe0ZACgq6E)

http://youtu.be/QFe0ZACgq6E

kb2vxa
08-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Now try the original clip that moves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA

"As of this afternoon, the website no longer shows the items in question."
That takes care of that, now some other company buys the inventory and makes money until the FCC catches up to the never ending game of Musical Leenyars.

That reminds me of my first apartment that turned out to be an illegal third family conversion in a two family house. The landlady had a war going on with the neighbors so when they noticed I was living there one of them ratted her out on the illegal conversion, trouble is I was the one who got burned. The township evicted me and slapped her with the $250 fine that barely put a dent in one month's rent. Next thing you know she had somebody else there starting the profitable revolving door since there was no limit on repeat violations. I'm not the sort to take this sort of crap lying down so I gave the karmic wheel a little push, she had her apartment in the basement and basement occupancy is illegal in the township. Now I recall something she said earlier; "This is America, it's my house and I can do anything I want with it." OK, we'll see about THAT. I had the legal 30 days to quit so besides apartment hunting I informed the neighbors what she was up to and waited for the opportunity to strike like an ambush predator. When I was sure she was home I called the cops and told them all about it, the windup was they hauled her away in handcuffs, her lawyer bailed her out and put her up in a motel. I left and the neighbors kept watch and the rest is as they say history and let's not forget the Klingon proverb; revenge is a dish best served cold.

W3WN
08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
< snip >
That reminds me of my first apartment that turned out to be an illegal third family conversion in a two family house. The landlady had a war going on with the neighbors so when they noticed I was living there one of them ratted her out on the illegal conversion, trouble is I was the one who got burned. The township evicted me and slapped her with the $250 fine that barely put a dent in one month's rent. Next thing you know she had somebody else there starting the profitable revolving door since there was no limit on repeat violations. I'm not the sort to take this sort of crap lying down so I gave the karmic wheel a little push, she had her apartment in the basement and basement occupancy is illegal in the township. Now I recall something she said earlier; "This is America, it's my house and I can do anything I want with it." OK, we'll see about THAT. I had the legal 30 days to quit so besides apartment hunting I informed the neighbors what she was up to and waited for the opportunity to strike like an ambush predator. When I was sure she was home I called the cops and told them all about it, the windup was they hauled her away in handcuffs, her lawyer bailed her out and put her up in a motel. I left and the neighbors kept watch and the rest is as they say history and let's not forget the Klingon proverb; revenge is a dish best served cold.Oy. That's harsh.

Deserved. But harsh.

The closest I ever came to that... I'd run out of money after 2 years of college, and couldn't stay living in the frat house (the group was in the process of collapsing due to a series of poor decisions, but that's another tale for another time). So I answered a sublet ad... an apartment consisting of 5 bedrooms. All girls (!!) although one had to leave. Met them all, the other 4 were OK with my taking over the sublet. Landlord approved, so I go to sign the lease. There I am, standing in his office, cash in hand... and he looks at me, informs me that he had just changed his mind, he wouldn't let me take over the sublet.

Damn. Here I am, 20, working, a chance to share an apartment with 4 girls my own age... all pretty, all interesting... and no.

Fast-forward about 3 months. I'd since found a sublet in a small apartment complex. There's a knock on the door, and standing there is the girl I originally was going to sublet from. Landlord was suing her for non-payment of rent, since she hadn't found someone to take over the lease. Could I testify on her behalf in court? I did. It was a rare case of a landlord suing a student and LOSING, because I testified that he'd agreed to have me take over the sublet, and then reneged. She was ecstatic, he was pissed, he threatened to appeal... and I never heard from any of them again. Too bad... she was cute...

W3WN
08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Now try the original clip that moves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA

"As of this afternoon, the website no longer shows the items in question."
That takes care of that, now some other company buys the inventory and makes money until the FCC catches up to the never ending game of Musical Leenyars.
< snip >Getting back on subject...

That is the real problem. If I was going to do something like this (and I'm not), I'd put that web site on a server outside of FCC jurisdiction. I'd set up the dummy company somewhere nearby (Central America, Caribbean) and just arrange for the electronics to be imported as they were ordered. Confiscated by Customs? Not my problem, especially once shipping commenced. And clearly that's not a big issue, since the RMI units are being allowed in the country anyway.

Heck... base the company up in Canada, and just ship the stuff in via UPS or FedEx or whomever.

There's always a way... if someone is determined enough.

kb2vxa
08-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Transshipment through Canada is the worst idea ever. Customs is the tightest at border crossings, on the US side (Buffalo) where everything is held up for days and the likelihood of confiscation extremely high. Every time I go internet shopping in Canada the bottleneck is Buffalo. FYI almost everybody ships UPS which incidentally has a neat on line tracker and no surprise, every package is scanned everywhere it goes so it's not long before the Central Scrutinizer* knows just where it is.

"There's always a way... if someone is determined enough."
Air America?

* Zappa, Joe's Garage Act 1, disc 1, track 1.

NQ6U
08-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Looks like the Eff Cee Cee may be cracking down on outfits that sell illegal CB gear; here's another citation.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1780A1.txt

WØTKX
08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Good, but not good enough.

Is Billy the Lawyer ('WBJ) off the air yet?