PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid/Instant Cameras

KU0DM
08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I spent last summer living and teaching in a rural community in Costa Rica, and will be doing the same thing next summer (country TBD). While there, on multiple occasions would it have been nice to have a Polaroid or other instant film type camera for things such as taking pictures for letters or leaving pictures with friends and family. I hopped on the interwebz and quickly ruled out Polaroid brand due to expense of camera and film.

Any instant-film fans out there that have a recommendation as far as a reasonably priced instant film camera with reasonably priced film?

NQ6U
08-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Last time I checked, Polaroid had a lock on that market. Kodak tried to compete back in the Seventies and had their asses handed to them in court. I know, because I had a Kodak instant camera that, in my opinion, took better photos than the Polaroid cameras of the day but I had to toss it out after film became unavailable once the lawsuit had been decided in Polaroid's favor.

K9CCH
08-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Any instant-film fans out there that have a recommendation as far as a reasonably priced instant film camera with reasonably priced film?

You pretty much only have two options these days that are worth anything. The third is low res, credit card sized photos.

You're first option is The Impossible Project instant film. When Polaroid shut down its last factory in The Netherlands I think, a group of former Polaroid employees bought the factory and the equipment. Polaroid did not allow them to have the chemistry patents for the film. Since early 2000's that group of employees have been working to rebuild the instant film industry. Today the instant prints are nearly back to what they once were, although they still dont develop as quickly. On average it takes about 30 mins for a print to fully develop. I have a refurbished SX-70 that I use. The chrome flat one that folds up from the mid-late '70s. You can find Impossible film here:

http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/allabout/colorshade/

You're second option is Fuji FP100C. This is the peel apart type of instant film that you may remember from a way long time ago. As long as you have a WORKING Polaroid Land Camera that accepts type 100 pack film, you can use this Fuji stuff. It is the cheapest instant film you'll find at about $10-$15 a box. Examples of cameras that take this film are the Polaroid 100, 104, 250, 350, 360, 440, 450, Reporter, EE, Pro Pack, etc... You can order it from B&H audio and video online, or from this place (which I recommend):

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/66910-Fujicolor-FP-100C-3.25-x-4.25-(Polaroid-T669-690-Compatible)

It also comes in Black and White:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/02602643-Fujifilm-FP-3000B-Bandamp-W-3.25-x-4.25-Instant-Print-Film-10-Pack

Your third option is the Fuji Instax stuff. It produces credit card sized pictures instantly, but I don't think they are worth anything more than the novelty.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/15060835-Fujifilm-Instax-Mini-Instant-Print-Color-Film-Twin-Pack-(2-packs-x-10
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/15834705-Instax-Mini-7S-Instant-Print-Film-Camera

And that about concludes your options on instant film these days. Sadly. All of that Polaroid film that you were probably seeing at like $80/pack is leftover Polaroid stock that is probably 5-7 years old or better.

K7SGJ
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Years ago, I saw one on the Flintstones, but I don't know to find the kind of bird that was on the inside drawing the picture.

KG4CGC
08-12-2013, 08:45 PM
There's always small portable printers for your small digital cameras.

K9CCH
08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Years ago, I saw one on the Flintstones, but I don't know to find the kind of bird that was on the inside drawing the picture.

You'd be surprised what kind of resurgence instant photography is experiencing.

WX7P
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Costa Rica. Very cool, Duncan. I was there in 1975.

We took the narrow gauge railway from San Jose to Limon. Grabbed the coffee beans out of the window of the train.

Drove there with my Dad from CA. Wouldn't do it now.

WX7P
08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
We had a Polaroid 220 when we went to Bogota Colombia in 1969.

My mother had her watch stolen by some street urchin who was caught and we had to go to the police station.

The cops were really fascinated by the instant camera, as they didn't have them there at the time. My Dad blew through a whole bunch of film taking pictures of the cops, which of course they wanted. I'd be willing to bet that a faded photo of some long ago Jefe is on the wall of that station even now.

KU0DM
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
You're second option is Fuji FP100C. This is the peel apart type of instant film that you may remember from a way long time ago. As long as you have a WORKING Polaroid Land Camera that accepts type 100 pack film, you can use this Fuji stuff.

This seems like the best option film wise. As far as obtaining a working Polaroid, is my best bet going to be watching eBay or is there a better method of coming into one without losing an arm and a leg?

K9CCH
08-13-2013, 12:46 PM
This seems like the best option film wise. As far as obtaining a working Polaroid, is my best bet going to be watching eBay or is there a better method of coming into one without losing an arm and a leg?

Ebay, flea markets, antique stores etc...

I recommend looking for a 420... I've had three before, all bought for $25 or less on eBay.

Anything in the 400 series are usually the last models made, so you have a better chance of the "electric eye" still working. It's the small lens on the front that calculates exposure automatically.

KG4CGC
08-13-2013, 01:50 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-3166_7-5135586-1.html

KU0DM
08-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Costa Rica. Very cool, Duncan. I was there in 1975.

We took the narrow gauge railway from San Jose to Limon. Grabbed the coffee beans out of the window of the train.

Drove there with my Dad from CA. Wouldn't do it now.

Mmmm...coffee beans. I was in the canton of Perez Zeledon in the south west which is where the bulk of the coffee production is nowadays. The beans were just starting to harden and turn red towards the end of my stay, and I was able to come away with a few tall cups worth of coffee fresh off the plant. It may have taken me twice as long as the Ticos to fill a bucket, but my god coffee just doesn't get any better.

Met a gringo when I was traveling up the coast who was from Florida. He had made that drive just a few months back and said that other than Honduras, it really wasn't too bad. Unfortunately it's pretty much the best way to get your car down there if you're wanting to relocate. It's a very expensive nightmare trying to import cars not purchased there, the duty alone can run you 30%-50% the sticker price of the car at purchase.

n2ize
08-14-2013, 10:17 AM
There's always small portable printers for your small digital cameras.

Thats what I was thinking would be the best option these days.

K9CCH
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Thats what I was thinking would be the best option these days.

But that's not true instant photography. It's the whole radio/VoIP argument in another hobby.

KU0DM
08-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a refurbished SX-70 that I use. The chrome flat one that folds up from the mid-late '70s.

I'm fascinated by this camera. It seems like a very compact option, and *looks* fairly durable, especially when folded up. Would you agree with that? Do you think it would be a good camera for traveling in Central America?

K9CCH
08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm fascinated by this camera. It seems like a very compact option, and *looks* fairly durable, especially when folded up. Would you agree with that? Do you think it would be a good camera for traveling in Central America?

They are very rugged and pack away nicely.

The problem is that they are experiencing a mainstream resurgence and prices are absurd. Above that a lot of them have a common problem of a dry rotted plastic coupler in the back of the camera. They are fixable, but be prepared to pay about $125 for a working SX-70.

I recommend a guy that sells on ebay by the name of "FastCat99". He is the guy who repaired my SX-70 and recovered it with new baby blue leather. He is very reputable in the SX-70 world of repairs.
http://stores.ebay.com/polaroidcamerasfromfastcat99

WX7P
08-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Met a gringo when I was traveling up the coast who was from Florida. He had made that drive just a few months back and said that other than Honduras, it really wasn't too bad. Unfortunately it's pretty much the best way to get your car down there if you're wanting to relocate. It's a very expensive nightmare trying to import cars not purchased there, the duty alone can run you 30%-50% the sticker price of the car at purchase.

Interesting.

In 1975, the hot spots were Nicaragua and El Salvador. The Sandinistas were just revving up their latest "final offensive" and the locals were nervous. They finally got rid of Somoza (a really bad guy) in 1979. We were there just before they took over. THAT was a border crossing to remember.

El Salvador was just starting to boil over. That's one crowded place, there's people everywhere. It was pretty unnerving to see kids (17-18) dressed up in army unis holding uzis by the trigger on street corners. The place was still tense after the so-called football war which was really about Salvadoran immigrants flowing into Honduras. In addition, the oligarchs knew their time was limited but that didn't stop them from trying to control everything.

Guatemala was pretty stable at the time, their problems didn't erupt until later and we were there for that too. I still remember the look of horror on the face of the drawbridge keeper at Lago Izabol when we told him we'd been bouncing around the Peten for a few days and tried to drive to Tikal, site of the Mayan ruins. "There's COMMUNISTS out there!" We didn't see a single commie. Did a pretty good number on the VW bug though with the terrible roads.

Anyway, the reason I wouldn't drive there now is Northern Mexico. It's simply not safe. The old unspoken dictum that you didn't fuck with the gringos is out the window now. Any hint of a car problem up there, and you WILL get rolled.

I'm surprised the person you met had an issue in Honduras. If he didn't go to Tegucigalpa, It's just a few hours across Honduras on the Pan American highway. Now if you try to cross borders outside their "hours", it can be a big hassle and expensive. Teguci was quiet then without much in the way of gringo influence. That all changed during the contra silliness of the 80's.

We had multiple people try to buy our car down there for the reasons you cited. The problem is they used to put the car papers on your passport, so they'd bust you at the airport if you tried to leave the country without the car.

My Dad's 85th birthday is tomorrow and he is still in good health. We are trying to arrange a trip to Guate in January of next year one last time, this time by plane. Sarah's never been and wants to go. I hope we can make that a reality.

NQ6U
08-14-2013, 06:58 PM
We didn't see a single commie.

Did you look under the bed?

WX7P
08-14-2013, 07:41 PM
We thought there were commies in Managua. Turns out it was just big parrots dropping mangos on the corrugated aluminum roof of the pension where we were staying.

K7SGJ
08-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Did you look under the bed?

You ever notice that where ever Janet goes, civil unrest, military coups, or some other kind of instability follows? Just sayin.....................

WX7P
08-14-2013, 10:51 PM
I gotta knack for it.

More like the USG and the United Fruit Company, AKA Standard Brands

KU0DM
08-16-2013, 12:27 PM
They are very rugged and pack away nicely.

The problem is that they are experiencing a mainstream resurgence and prices are absurd. Above that a lot of them have a common problem of a dry rotted plastic coupler in the back of the camera. They are fixable, but be prepared to pay about $125 for a working SX-70.

I recommend a guy that sells on ebay by the name of "FastCat99". He is the guy who repaired my SX-70 and recovered it with new baby blue leather. He is very reputable in the SX-70 world of repairs.
http://stores.ebay.com/polaroidcamerasfromfastcat99

RR. Thanks so much Chris! :cheers:

N8YX
08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Interesting thread. I don't know whether or not my mother's old Polaroid color camera is still in the drawer in which it was kept - will have to look. That thing took a LOT of pictures over the years.

A recent scope acquisition saw one of these come along for the ride

Along with 5 sealed, unopened packs of this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-POMQ5-120637-Type-4x5-Film/dp/B00007EE0H

$145 a pack? Seriously - is the film worth that much? And will the Fuji FP-100C variant work in a scope camera which uses a 4x5" format, as the Type 53 Polaplan is?

K9CCH
08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
No. The Fuji stuff is only 3.25x4.25. There is no 4x5 instant film being made anymore, which is why the stuff you see is $145.... And a serious gamble because most often the chemicals are dried out and nothing but powder.

impossible Prject just introduced 8x10 instant film, but as of yet has not formatted a 4x5, which everyone is wishing for.

WØTKX
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Isn't it wild that Polaroid won't release the patents, and there is still a demand for instant photo printing?

Oh, wait... http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Instant-Digital-Printing-Technology/dp/B001RIYUJQ

Wow, who would of "Zinked" ​of that? Interesting, eh?

K9CCH
08-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Isn't it wild that Polaroid won't release the patents, and there is still a demand for instant photo printing?

Oh, wait... http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Instant-Digital-Printing-Technology/dp/B001RIYUJQ

Wow, who would of "Zinked" ​of that? Interesting, eh?

This isn't the same. An inkjet printer will NEVER compare to true film. Considering an inkjet print to a film print is like saying that CB and Ham are the same.

KG4CGC
08-18-2013, 11:22 PM
CB and ham radio ARE the same.

WØTKX
08-19-2013, 06:03 AM
This isn't the same. An inkjet printer will NEVER compare to true film. Considering an inkjet print to a film print is like saying that CB and Ham are the same.

Zink paper is not an inkjet, how can it be when the colors are in the paper? And no, it's not as good as "real film"", but dye sublimation printers can arguably be as good or better than film. And then, there was this crazy assed printer called the PixelMaster. But anyway...

NQ6U
08-19-2013, 12:09 PM
CB and ham radio ARE the same.

That's a big ten-four, good buddy.

W3WN
08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Wow, who would of "Zinked" ​of that? Interesting, eh?I have to admit, that's one that doesn't seem to make any sense.

You would think that Polaroid (or what's left of them) would be willing to license the process and collect the royalties. Go figure.