PDA

View Full Version : I Tried an E-Cig

n2ize
08-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I decided to see what these e-cigs are all about. So I bought one the other day and decided to give it a whirl. So far I find it interesting and I can see how some may find it enjoyable. But it is a far cry from a real cigarette. This definitely ain;t a substitute for smoking.

First of all I don;t get the lasting flavour and robust taste that I would get from a regular cigarette. Next there is no satisfaction. If I smoke a cigarette I want satisfaction through and through from the first puff to the last. The e-cig just does not deliver the kind of satisfaction that I want. Lastly there is very little aroma. Part of the thrill of smoking is not just the smoke you inhale but, the aroma of the smoke coming off the cigarette itself and filling the surrounding air. That is completely lacking from the e-cig. Very little robust,flavor, no rich long lasting taste, almost no satisfaction. :( I am not a regular smoker (I don;t have a habit and I rarely smoke) but when I do smoke an occasional cigarette I want rich lasting flavour, aroma, and real satisfaction. The kind that can probably ONLY be derived from a real tobacco cigarette.

wa6mhz
08-12-2013, 06:51 PM
E-Smoke is a little kinder to radio front panels!

n2ize
08-12-2013, 08:17 PM
E-Smoke is a little kinder to radio front panels!

Yes, because it probably doesn't have the tars and combustion by-products of a regular cigarette. A mainly wanted to try the e-cig to get a feel for what it's like. It certainly can't hold a candle to a real cig. Real cig's are still far superior in my book with respect to flavour and satisfaction. But I do like the e-cig. And, while I don't want to make a habit out of using it I am sure it is a lot healthier than regular cigs.. Nice thing about the e-cig is that I can smoke it in the house without offending anyone. And I've been chewing less tobacco since I started using it. To really put it to the test I need to try different cartridges and flavours and/or learn to make my own e-cig liquids. Higher nicotine content carts may give me more satisfaction. Different blends, flavours, etc. may give me greater taste and full bodied flavour. I plan to experiment with this. This device does have a lot of possibilities. There will be some experimenting going on here.

WX7P
08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
I decided to see what these e-cigs are all about. So I bought one the other day and decided to give it a whirl. So far I find it interesting and I can see how some may find it enjoyable. But it is a far cry from a real cigarette. This definitely ain;t a substitute for smoking.

First of all I don;t get the lasting flavour and robust taste that I would get from a regular cigarette. Next there is no satisfaction. If I smoke a cigarette I want satisfaction through and through from the first puff to the last. The e-cig just does not deliver the kind of satisfaction that I want. Lastly there is very little aroma. Part of the thrill of smoking is not just the smoke you inhale but, the aroma of the smoke coming off the cigarette itself and filling the surrounding air. That is completely lacking from the e-cig. Very little robust,flavor, no rich long lasting taste, almost no satisfaction. :( I am not a regular smoker (I don;t have a habit and I rarely smoke) but when I do smoke an occasional cigarette I want rich lasting flavour, aroma, and real satisfaction. The kind that can probably ONLY be derived from a real tobacco cigarette.

You can't get no...satisfaction...What is smoking satisfaction? It's a nicotine delivery system.

The aroma and of smoke coming off the cigarette and filling the surrounding air bit sounds like some B movie stuff. Sorry, but Esther Williams just died.

Sounds like smoking for you is an image related thing, not the intended nicotine reliance.

I think it's great that smoking is on the decline. It's not to have to deal with someone's "satisfaction" in a restaurant anymore

n2ize
08-12-2013, 11:48 PM
You can't get no...satisfaction...What is smoking satisfaction? It's a nicotine delivery system.

Satisfaction is the feeling you get out of something. It could be a food , a drug, an activity, etc. Cigarette satisfaction is closer to drug satisfaction. f you take certain drugs you expect to get a high, a pleasant feeling of some sort that satisfies you. If you take it and fail to get that feeling or you don't get enough of that pleasant feeling you are not satisfied. That is what we call satisfaction..

The aroma and of smoke coming off the cigarette and filling the surrounding air bit sounds like some B movie stuff. Sorry, but Esther Williams just died. Sounds like smoking for you is an image related thing, not the intended nicotine reliance.

The answer to this question is, yes. Yes, I do enjoy romanticizing about the 1940's and 1950's when things like smoking were taken for granted and smoke filled offices and rooms were the norm and smoking had a certain glamour, appeal and at times a film noir quality about it. But there is also something about the aroma that comes off the tobacco itself. That is one of the things I loved when I was pipe smoking. Not just the flavour of the tobacco and the satisfaction but, the aroma that filled the air was a major part of the whole enjoyment. As you sit and puff withing a haze of smoke and you inhale the sweet aroma of mild Cavendish or the pungent spicy fiery aroma of Latakia added a whole dimension to the experience. And in many was does the smoke filled room, bar, or night club. And of course the glamorous lady to whom I would offer a light. The Esther Williams do live on in that regard. Yes, it is romantic and filled with imagery. But it also adds to the whole satisfaction of the tobacco experience.. If I do have any nicotine reliance it comes mostly from chewing tobacco and not from smoking tobacco.

I think it's great that smoking is on the decline. It's not to have to deal with someone's "satisfaction" in a restaurant anymore

I many ways I agree. As pleasant and romantic as it may be it is certainly not good for ones health. While I support the smokers rights I also support the right for people not to have to breathe smoke. I think smoking should have its places where it can be indulged by those who chose to smoke and I don;t support outright bans. Yet I also support those who wish to enjoy a smoke free atmosphere. I also think the e-cig is a great alternative that has great promise in helping people. But thus far I am not sure it can match the regular cigarette in satisfaction and flavour.

KC2UGV
08-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Wow... I was a smoker of about 20 years or so, and I never loved the smell of tobacco. Be it coming from a pipe (Which I smoked), a cigar (Which I was a bit of a connoisseur), or cigarettes.

KC2UGV
08-13-2013, 06:05 AM
But thus far I am not sure it can match the regular cigarette in satisfaction and flavour.

I think I get what you're saying. For the "smell of smoke filled rooms", e-cigs will never fit that. It's not in the problem domain for the solution set. As for flavor, throat hit, etc: It boils down to getting the proper liquids and proper hardware. Took me about a year of tweaking hardware to find what works best.

KK4AMI
08-13-2013, 06:38 AM
How does an e-cig work again. Do you load it with a liquid? After reading the Gupta thread on Weed, I figure the E-cig would be a safer way to smoke pot.

wa6mhz
08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
I l ike the smell of Cherry Pipe tobacky, but when it is actually smoked, YEECH!!!
So if I am going to smoke something, it will be a JOINT!

But then, that was 30 years ago! I was in a park getting ready for a picnic last Saturday; and thought I smelled a SKUNK! Nope, it was 2 dudes doing a NUMBER! I forgot what it smelled like! SO I inhaled greatly trying to get some secondhand smoke, to no avail. I forget what it is like to get HIGH!

n2ize
08-13-2013, 10:17 AM
I l ike the smell of Cherry Pipe tobacky, but when it is actually smoked, YEECH!!!
So if I am going to smoke something, it will be a JOINT!

It depends on the pipe tobacco, the mixture and tobacco quality. Most cherry tobacco's I avoided. Too harsh and bitter. I like a nice mixture with a high Latakia content, and a light balance of Burley's and Cavendish.. The pipe you use will also play a major role in the flavour and enjoyment. Most of the time (but not always) a cheap pipe will deliver a cheap, unpleasant smoke. It often pays to invest some money an buy a good quality pipe.
[/quote]

But then, that was 30 years ago! I was in a park getting ready for a picnic last Saturday; and thought I smelled a SKUNK! Nope, it was 2 dudes doing a NUMBER! I forgot what it smelled like! SO I inhaled greatly trying to get some secondhand smoke, to no avail. I forget what it is like to get HIGH!

My friend Jane loves weed. She should have been named "Mary Jane". She also likes to romanticize about things like that, i.e. references to drugs in classic literature, etc. She also has used LSD, Shrooms, etc. Me I never cared for weed. Nothing personally against it , it just doesn't cut it for me. I have nothing personal against it. To each their own I suppose.

n2ize
08-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I think I get what you're saying. For the "smell of smoke filled rooms", e-cigs will never fit that. It's not in the problem domain for the solution set. As for flavor, throat hit, etc: It boils down to getting the proper liquids and proper hardware. Took me about a year of tweaking hardware to find what works best.

Yes, there is something pleasing and satisfying about the aroma of the tobacco itself.As far as tweaking and experimenting with the hardware that is something I am going to have to learn about and experiment with.

K7SGJ
08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Being an ex-smoker of a whole shit load of years, having quit 15 or so years ago, and having the negative effects of making such a poor decision early in life, I doubt I'll ever try am e-cig. As hard as it was to quit the real deal, and being the compulsive moran that I am, I'm not about to play around with something that may cause me problems later, or require the fortitude to quit at some point. Although e-cigs may be safe, and non addictive, I'm not willing to roll the dice on it. Between quitting smoking and drinking, I have no desire to start anything that I may have to quit at a latter date. I am pussy hear me squeak.

KC2UGV
08-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Being an ex-smoker of a whole shit load of years, having quit 15 or so years ago, and having the negative effects of making such a poor decision early in life, I doubt I'll ever try am e-cig. As hard as it was to quit the real deal, and being the compulsive moran that I am, I'm not about to play around with something that may cause me problems later, or require the fortitude to quit at some point. Although e-cigs may be safe, and non addictive, I'm not willing to roll the dice on it. Between quitting smoking and drinking, I have no desire to start anything that I may have to quit at a latter date. I am pussy hear me squeak.

I'd hazard they are just as addicting (Maybe a little less so, but it's debatable how much less), if they contain nicotine.

WX7P
08-13-2013, 11:16 AM

No, you're not at all, rata. I'm with you on this one 100%

I did the nicotine thing for about 4 years as a young person and quitting was hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It's hard for me to believe anything that has even a hint of nicotine isn't addictive in some way.

n2ize
08-13-2013, 04:16 PM
I never had much trouble stopping tobacco use. But then I have never put any effort into stopping. Anytime I started using any kind of tobacco there is always a point where I just seem to get tired of it and stop without even thinking much about it. It's kind of like I smoke or chew and maybe continue for a few months, or through the summer, and then all of a sudden a day comes where I find myself saying "hey, you haven't bought or used tobacco in weeks". I never had to struggle with quitting.

n2ize
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
No, you're not at all, rata. I'm with you on this one 100%

I did the nicotine thing for about 4 years as a young person and quitting was hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It's hard for me to believe anything that has even a hint of nicotine isn't addictive in some way.

E cigs can be completely tobacco and nicotine free. Depending on the liquid used in the cart, or the liquid you use to fill it, it can have anywhere from no nicotine to a very high level of nicotine. They can also be tobacco flavoured or non-tobacco flavoured.

WX7P
08-13-2013, 04:46 PM
I never had much trouble stopping tobacco use. But then I have never put any effort into stopping. Anytime I started using any kind of tobacco there is always a point where I just seem to get tired of it and stop without even thinking much about it. It's kind of like I smoke or chew and maybe continue for a few months, or through the summer, and then all of a sudden a day comes where I find myself saying "hey, you haven't bought or used tobacco in weeks". I never had to struggle with quitting.

You're in the minority on that one.

Brand eX#2 was that way. She could get by with just one or two smokes a day and would go weeks in between. She never did entirely quit until later when she started chewing the gum. Which I think she does to this day. I wouldn't know, I haven't talked to her in 3 years.

W7XF
08-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Although I do not partake in any kind of nicotine delivery system, e-cigs are so much easier to be around. But, for you New Yahkers dealing with Mommy Bloomy...e-cigs are ALREADY verboten in non smoking areas in most parts of Canada... and in Ontario and Quebec there is no smoking of regular or electronic e-cigs in commercial vehicles. I dunno if Utah is enforcing the no smoking in commercial trucks as far as e-cigs go, but they are with regulars. Arizona is not bothering e-cigs in legal smoking areas but will bust you 9 ways to Sunday if you're puffing a regular in any non smoking area (AZ also covers PUBLIC and PRIVATE work spaces, as well as if there's anyone under 18 with you in your private car)

KG4CGC
08-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Although I do not partake in any kind of nicotine delivery system, e-cigs are so much easier to be around. But, for you New Yahkers dealing with Mommy Bloomy...e-cigs are ALREADY verboten in non smoking areas in most parts of Canada... and in Ontario and Quebec there is no smoking of regular or electronic e-cigs in commercial vehicles. I dunno if Utah is enforcing the no smoking in commercial trucks as far as e-cigs go, but they are with regulars. Arizona is not bothering e-cigs in legal smoking areas but will bust you 9 ways to Sunday if you're puffing a regular in any non smoking area (AZ also covers PUBLIC and PRIVATE work spaces, as well as if there's anyone under 18 with you in your private car)

Amazing that a state as red as AZ would have the most in your face laws.

n2ize
08-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Amazing that a state as red as AZ would have the most in your face laws.

One reason why I bought the e-cig. I wanted to try one before they are completely banned in New York State and shipment to New York addresses is banned.

As in... "we cannot ship this product to the following states, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the rest of the nanny states".

n2ize
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
The e-cig I bought is sold as the brand "eonsmoke". I got the econopac for $21.00 which includes the battery... which looks like the rolled paper part of the cig, 2 smoke flavoured carts at 18 mg nicotine, and a USB charger and costs 4 dollars less than the online price.. I was interested in trying different flavours so I went back to the place I got it from and I asked if they sold the carts. They didn't but then something interesting happened. The guy there offered to sell me another whole whole econopac for $10.00 even... thats below half the regular retail price so, how could I refuse ? So now I have an extra e-cig, 2 smoke carts and another USB charger.

But the story doesn't finish yet. I went to my regular place where I buy my chewing tobacco and I bought a pack of Red Man. I noticed that he sells the "eonsmoke carts". So I bought a pack of menthol's. So far I like the menthol's. They offer more flavour and at least more satisfaction. Next I want to try a higher nicotine content to see if I can achieve even greater satisfaction. I would also like to figure pout if these carts are refillable. I am interested in creating my own smoke liquids. This delivery system is very compact and very interesting and I think it offers create promise as an overall delivery system. If these carts are not refillable I am interested in ones that are so I can develop my own mixtures.

One great thing is that since using the e-cig I am chewing much less tobacco. I only crave a plug after meals. But the rest of the day an occasional puff of the e-cig works fine. Not so much rich pure tobacco flavour but satisfying enough to curb my appetite for chew.

In any event if I cannot fill these carts I will look into systems that are more fundamantal and which I can fill and test my own liquid mixes.

WX7P
08-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Flavour?

n2ize
08-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Flavour?

Yes, I tend to use the English (British) spellings. Odour. Flavour, etc. I have a close friend of the English persuasion and I picked it up from her.

K7SGJ
08-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Flavour?

Made from al-you-mini-yum in the la-bore-atory.

K7SGJ
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, I tend to use the English (British) spellings. Odour. Flavour, etc. I have a close friend of the English persuasion and I picked it up from her.

I use to have a female friend that was English. I picked something up from her, too, but is sure as hell wasn't the spelling of flavor or odour. Come to think of it, though, there was a bit of an odour involved, but I digress.

KG4CGC
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
You will need to pop the cap off the carto carefully if you want to add your own liquid. Do not experiment with alcohol based extracts. Stick to ready made stuff in the little bottles until you read up on it more. The atomizers in those little carts might last up to a week if you refill them but as soon as they start tasting burnt, they're done.

I'm assuming the top cap of the mouthpiece. Should be a piece of plastic. They're easy to destroy. Take care.

NA4BH
08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Remember, BLOW is only an expression.

WX7P
08-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Seems to be a recent conversion. I suppose you say "snaps" instead of "photos".

K7SGJ
08-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Bonnet, spanner, lift, tube, and perambulator.

NA4BH
08-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Bonnet, spanner, lift, tube, and perambulator.

What teh "F" are you talking about?

K7SGJ
08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
The British vocab and spelling, thereof. Start back at post 22.

n2ize
08-14-2013, 09:53 PM
You will need to pop the cap off the carto carefully if you want to add your own liquid. Do not experiment with alcohol based extracts. Stick to ready made stuff in the little bottles until you read up on it more. The atomizers in those little carts might last up to a week if you refill them but as soon as they start tasting burnt, they're done.

I'm assuming the top cap of the mouthpiece. Should be a piece of plastic. They're easy to destroy. Take care.

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I have enough spare carts that when they run low I'll be able to experiment and if I wreck one or two it won;t be too bad a loss. Nonetheless I'll take your advice and yes, the cap of the mouthpiece seems to be plastic so I'll be careful. Eventually I want to compose some liquid blends of my own but, for starters I'll stick to regular premixed liquids. Thanks for the good advice. I'll pay heed and continue with caution.

n2ize
08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I use to have a female friend that was English. I picked something up from her, too, but is sure as hell wasn't the spelling of flavor or odour. Come to think of it, though, there was a bit of an odour involved, but I digress.

Well, I have picked up that too but that is not for this forum. ;)

W7XF
08-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Wake me up when they sell the carts in the #420 flavour xD

NQ6U
08-15-2013, 12:04 AM

He picked up something else from her as well but a course of penicillin took care of it.

KG4CGC
08-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Wake me up when they sell the carts in the #420 flavour xD

Just get a dry herb vaporizer. Oft referred to as a "Volcano."

KG4CGC
08-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Meanwhile I was queing for the open at the haberdashery shoppe whilst enjoying a biscuit and jaffa cakes.

KG4CGC
08-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Fancy a curry anyone?

KC2UGV
08-15-2013, 05:46 AM

To add here:

The best way I've found to remove those caps is a binder clip leg. Pull the shiny metal peice off, and use one of the ends to go under the cap, and pull straight out. If it doesn't come easily, then work the sides a little, then pull straight out again.

K7SGJ
08-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Fancy a curry anyone?

Bangers and mash, please.

NQ6U
08-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Fancy a curry anyone?

Not at the moment. I must hurry down to the chemist's shop.

W7XF
08-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Not at the moment. I must hurry down to the chemist's shop.

Admit it, Your Eminence.... you're going to Dr. Frankenfoose's laboratory. :lol:

Bubba
08-15-2013, 10:48 PM
IZE, you are a little strange. Not in a bad way. Just saying..

KG4CGC
08-16-2013, 12:21 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Potty_Kettle_zps97c91273.jpg

Bubba
08-16-2013, 03:02 AM
^^^^ Exactly.. The pot and kettle in one sitting.

K7SGJ
08-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Whoosh

NQ6U
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Whoosh

A-yep.

NA4BH
08-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Wonder what's cooking?

K7SGJ
08-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Bacon, you wanna strip?

n2ize
08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
IZE, you are a little strange. Not in a bad way. Just saying..

That's because I am different in many ways. Actually everyone is a bit strange in one way or another.

WX7P
08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Whoosh

yeppers

n2ize
08-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Okay, back to e-cigs for a moment. The basic idea of how they work is simple. A battery and a cartridge containing some kind of heating element, a flavored liquid and, some sort of atomizer. The liquids are generally tobacco free and they can contain anywhere from no nicotine to several mg of nicotine depending on the strength of the mixture which the user prefers. When you draw on the device the air flow a causes the liquid to be mixed with air, atomized and the heater switched on which vapourizes the liquid producing a cigarette like flavoured vapour. Now, my question. What is the heater made of. Is it simply a high resistance nichrome wire that gets red hot when current passes through it ?

K7SGJ
08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Okay, back to e-cigs for a moment. The basic idea of how they work is simple. A battery and a cartridge containing some kind of heating element, a flavored liquid and, some sort of atomizer. The liquids are generally tobacco free and they can contain anywhere from no nicotine to several mg of nicotine depending on the strength of the mixture which the user prefers. When you draw on the device the air flow a causes the liquid to be mixed with air, atomized and the heater switched on which vapourizes the liquid producing a cigarette like flavoured vapour. Now, my question. What is the heater made of. Is it simply a high resistance nichrome wire that gets red hot when current passes through it ?

I'm no Don Herbert, but I would think it would be something a little more durable.

KC2UGV
08-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Yes, nichrome. I think they have another metal they sometimes use sometimes as well.

NQ6U
08-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes, nichrome. I think they have another metal they sometimes use sometimes as well.

Cadmium, no doubt.

K7SGJ
08-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum, for the high rollers. No pun intended. Yeah, right

n2ize
08-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum, for the high rollers. No pun intended. Yeah, right

Platinum is a possibility. You do know that the little wire that glows reddish-yellow in the glow plugs on model airplane engines is made of platinum. Platinum is/was also used in the old fashioned fuel type hand warmers.

KG4CGC
08-16-2013, 01:54 PM

If I may, in the case of e-cigs, the atomizer and the heating element are the same thing. I understand the confusion since you are an Anglophile where atomizers actually turn a liquid into a mist. In tiny e-cig cartomizers, it is usually a coil, wrapped in a type of bamboo fabric, and that is wrapped in wadding. All designed to work together. My refillable cartridges, some are similar to this set up, others use a fabric of some kind of material, bamboo fabric can be one of those, that is used to draw up a small amount of e-liquid to the heating coil. In this case, the wick is actually threaded through the coil. This is a preferred method for many e-cig users. Often the more elaborate set ups are called "mods'' or a ''mod.'' The larger manufactured set ups are usually referred to by their brand and model.
Mechanical Mods are a simple set up that contains no regulatory electronics, just a switch and a battery to heat the element and wicks. These are usually gravity fed drippers which are fed a small amount of liquid just before use. The purpose of this is for people who want to make room filling clouds of vapor. The vapor content is so dense that these users have to resort to using a very low nicotine liquid since they can get a whole cigarette's worth of nicotine in one or two draws.

K7SGJ
08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
If I may, in the case of e-cigs, the atomizer and the heating element are the same thing. I understand the confusion since you are an Anglophile where atomizers actually turn a liquid into a mist. In tiny e-cig cartomizers, it is usually a coil, wrapped in a type of bamboo fabric, and that is wrapped in wadding. All designed to work together. My refillable cartridges, some are similar to this set up, others use a fabric of some kind of material, bamboo fabric can be one of those, that is used to draw up a small amount of e-liquid to the heating coil. In this case, the wick is actually threaded through the coil. This is a preferred method for many e-cig users. Often the more elaborate set ups are called "mods'' or a ''mod.'' The larger manufactured set ups are usually referred to by their brand and model.
Mechanical Mods are a simple set up that contains no regulatory electronics, just a switch and a battery to heat the element and wicks. These are usually gravity fed drippers which are fed a small amount of liquid just before use. The purpose of this is for people who want to make room filling clouds of vapor. The vapor content is so dense that these users have to resort to using a very low nicotine liquid since they can get a whole cigarette's worth of nicotine in one or two draws.

That's an interesting description of how it works. However, just reading about it, I started coughing and my chest started to hurt. Just like when I was a smoker. Seriously, as much as I really did enjoy smoking, it really took a toll. Too bad it's so destructive.

NA4BH
08-16-2013, 04:20 PM

I think it's vapour.

KG4CGC
08-16-2013, 04:48 PM
That's an interesting description of how it works. However, just reading about it, I started coughing and my chest started to hurt. Just like when I was a smoker. Seriously, as much as I really did enjoy smoking, it really took a toll. Too bad it's so destructive.

If yer offda nic, stay off. Otherwise it's light years better than inhaling particulates from smoldering weeds.

n2ize
08-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Yeah, as much as I romanticize it , it's still a lousy habit which is why I don't do it. Fortunately the few times I tried cigs I quit without even realizing it. I always gravitated away from tobacco.

I am not saying the e-cigs are a good thing and although I have now tried one I don;t plan on making it a regular thing or even using it much if at all.. Just wanted to get one in my possession before the ban. It is however a better alternative than cigs. They don't contain the tars, resins, and solid particulates found in tobacco smoke and they are even available without nicotine. I think they are a good device for those who want to quit but are having trouble breaking that habit. I know 2 people who used to be regular heavy cig smokers. Both switched to e-cig and neither has touched a real one since. The other benefit is no secondhand smoke. I can be sitting in a room with a person smoking an e-cig and I won't smell any smoke.

n2ize
08-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the detailed info on how this works. It's a pretty clever device.

KG4CGC
08-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the detailed info on how this works. It's a pretty clever device.

It was invented by a doctor in China. People in China smoke a lot. Of course now everyone in China smokes 24/7 due to the dense pollution from heavy unregulated industrialization.