PDA

View Full Version : PSK31 and streaming HF recievers

W5BRM
08-10-2013, 03:55 PM
As I dont have a radio set up anywhere, I thought I might just goof around with some PSK 31 software and experiment with HF online rcvrs. Been having a ball after setting up an account with Global Tuners. There is maybe 30 rcvrs there in US Europe and one in Oz. I find using mixW software, I can copy a lot of stuff and decode it with little issue so long as the signal stays up.

20M in the US is sort of quiet but I'm having moderate copy in Europe on a rcvr in Ashford Kent. watching a few QSO's by EU6AF in Belarus.

Anyone else ever tried experimenting like this?

W4GPL
08-10-2013, 04:02 PM
https://heliosj.net/main/using_fldigi_to_listen_from_remote_sites

I wrote this up quite some time ago.. the examples are a bit dated, but the principles are the same.

W5BRM
08-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Linux! I know NOTHINK!! lol thats a totally foreign language to me. Dont know why your friend was looping through soundcards tho. unless he was trying to make analog signal into digital. Would that make decoding info easier? less errors or something?

KC9SQR
08-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I've done this, and found it easier to do with 2 pc's.. One pc simply does the streaming from the internet.. The other PC runs packet software of choice.. I run an audio cable from speaker out of streaming pc into line in or mic on the packet machine..

Audio levels are EXTREMELY important and finicky to get set right... Start LOW, as in damn near muted low... Also pay attention to your RECORDING (a.k.a. input) levels... Just in case you didn't already know, when you double click the little speaker icon in the system tray on the lower right, that only brings up output volumes...

If there are any questions you have, I'd be happy to help along with the rest of us islanders :)

W4GPL
08-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Uhh... now we're going from a perfectly good waste of a sound card to a perfectly good waste of a whole computer. There's no reason to do that.. ^

KC2UGV
08-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Uhh... now we're going from a perfectly good waste of a sound card to a perfectly good waste of a whole computer. There's no reason to do that.. ^

This.

For some tasks, a dedicated machine for the sound processing is needed (Such as mixing 16 tracks at 96K sampling). But for simply streaming a 2.5KHz wide audio stream?

W5BRM
08-11-2013, 09:40 AM
I find just using my regular soundcard on my laptop is working ok. Watched a Cuba station working France on a San Antonio HF rcvr. weak signal but my card worked nicely in capturing the audio at the right level. I get a bit of random character generation but that doesnt bother me. Seems to work just fine for me.

KC9SQR
08-13-2013, 02:03 AM

I didn't claim it was efficient by any means, and isn't a waste of a PC (Laptop actually) as I use it for many other things.. I just said I found it a bit easier that way.. At least at first, rather than trying to loopback and tweak the audio levels until it's happy..

Now if I had two PC's dedicated to doing only that, or that was the only way I did it. Then I'd have to agree it would be a waste of a computer lol

One program that I have found that I do like and I use with my SDR receiver all the time is virtual audio cable... No need for a 2nd sound card or even an audio cable at all... :)

WØTKX
08-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Virtual Audio Cable. That is all...

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

KC2UGV
08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Virtual Audio Cable. That is all...

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

JackD...
http://jackaudio.org/

WØTKX
08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
There may be other apps, particularly for other OSes. But I use VAC, in the Windows 7 environment.
I in no way meant to imply that VAC was the only solution. Likely that it was taken that way.

Dam Linux elitists. Let the arguments ensue. :roll:

W4GPL
08-13-2013, 09:52 AM
You're the one mentioning Linux. JACK is a multi platform solution..

KC2UGV
08-13-2013, 10:13 AM
There may be other apps, particularly for other OSes. But I use VAC, in the Windows 7 environment.
I in no way meant to imply that VAC was the only solution. Likely that it was taken that way.

Dam Linux elitists. Let the arguments ensue. :roll:

JackD is multi-platform. And free :) I like it mainly because it's free.

K7SGJ
08-13-2013, 10:17 AM

WØTKX
08-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes, I saw that, before I posted about VAC. Guess I should have been clearer. As a Windows user, I use VAC, and it works. The OP stated clearly that he's not a Linux user. I was attempting to share what I have used with success, in the same environment.

Carry on, this discussion is not appropriate for me, as I have dug a hole without even trying to.

Not interested. Will only add confusion at this point. Never mind, have fun.