PDA

View Full Version : Another Door Of My Childhood Closes

suddenseer
08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
He might have been the last on camera connection to Captain Kangaroo. RIP Cosmo Allegretti.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57597432/cosmo-allegretti-captain-kangaroo-character-dies-at-86/

K7SGJ
08-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I remember Grandfather Clock, and Mr. Moose messing with it with ping pong balls or something. I always liked the show when I was a kid. I had no idea he lived out here where I do. Thanks for all the fun. RIP

W3WN
08-08-2013, 09:18 AM
He might have been the last on camera connection to Captain Kangaroo. RIP Cosmo Allegretti.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57597432/cosmo-allegretti-captain-kangaroo-character-dies-at-86/
Ah, nutz. Sorry to hear this, but thanks for the link.

We will never see the likes of Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, Soupy Sales... all of those types of shows ever again. Too many "kids" shows these days are more concerned with commercial sponsorships and selling kids sugar and other stuff they don't need; the ones like those of days long gone don't stand a chance of getting or staying on the air.

NQ6U
08-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Ah, nutz. Sorry to hear this, but thanks for the link.

We will never see the likes of Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, Soupy Sales... all of those types of shows ever again. Too many "kids" shows these days are more concerned with commercial sponsorships and selling kids sugar and other stuff they don't need; the ones like those of days long gone don't stand a chance of getting or staying on the air.

That's all true, Ron, but there's also the fact that kids are more sophisticated now than we were back in our day. Something like Captain Kangaroo just wouldn't fly with them any more.

N2NH
08-08-2013, 11:57 AM
That's all true, Ron, but there's also the fact that kids are more sophisticated now than we were back in our day. Something like Captain Kangaroo just wouldn't fly with them any more.

Sadly, this is their loss. I'd take a Soupy, a Sandy Becker or a Capt. Kangaroo over a iPhone anyday. I didn't watch much of the Capt growing up as we lived in a hole in the ground and WCBS's signal didn't make it down there.

WX7P
08-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I wasn't a big fan of Capt. Kangaroo.

I watched Mayor Art, Captain Satellite and Charlie and Humphrey.

Of course, there was Sgt. Sacto on the 'Captain San Francisco' kids show. I don't know why they called it Capt San Francisco, because the show was always just DJ Mike Cleary as Sgt. Sacto. I never made the connection that he was the same guy on Top 40 station KYA.

Captain Satellite was big on space and technology. I vividly remember when they had June Lockhart from Lost in Space on the show. She explained that all the crash landing scenes were just the cast members tossing themselves around while the cameras were rotated. Hey, for a 10 year old, that was huge insider information!

n2ize
08-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Sadly, this is their loss. I'd take a Soupy, a Sandy Becker or a Capt. Kangaroo over a iPhone anyday. I didn't watch much of the Capt growing up as we lived in a hole in the ground and WCBS's signal didn't make it down there.

I wouldn't say it's a loss. Just different times. Someone from the 18th century might consider it a loss that I haven't been able to experience some of the things they got to during their time.I missed out on the days of sailing ships and riding from place to place in horse and carriage. But I also experienced a great many new things that they couldn't. Same deal today.

NQ6U
08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I wasn't a big fan of Capt. Kangaroo.

Commie bastid. Figures—you grew up in the Bay Area, which isn't really part of 'Murrica.

NQ6U
08-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't say it's a loss. Just different times. Someone from the 18th century might consider it a loss that I haven't been able to experience some of the things they got to during their time.I missed out on the days of sailing ships and riding from place to place in horse and carriage. But I also experienced a great many new things that they couldn't. Same deal today.

Yep, I agree. It's neither bad nor good, it's just the way things are.

WX7P
08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Commie bastid. Figures—you grew up in the Bay Area, which isn't really part of 'Murrica.

Don't lie, station. You were glued to Mayor Art.

NQ6U
08-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Don't lie, station. You were glued to Mayor Art.

I was not only glued to it, I was actually on his show once. 1966, no kidding.

WX7P
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
I was not only glued to it, I was actually on his show once. 1966, no kidding.

Really. That must have been interesting.

I imagine you were one of the older guests on the program

NQ6U
08-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Really. That must have been interesting.

I imagine you were one of the older guests on the program

Yep. For one thing, I was surprised at how small the set was in real life. And, yeah, I was too old to do anything but sit in the Peanut Gallery and watch the show. Art Findley was a riot off-camera.

K7SGJ
08-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Yep. For one thing, I was surprised at how small the set was in real life. And, yeah, I was too old to do anything but sit in the Peanut Gallery and watch the show. Art Findley was a riot off-camera.

Huh. I'm surprised they didn't have you sit with the grandparents, ye olde bastid.

n2ize
08-08-2013, 03:11 PM

I remember many of those shows. Sandy Becker (and his personification of "Hambone", "Norton Nork", and a host of other characters), Soupy Sales, Captain Kangaroo, Wonderama, Fred Hall's "Hall of Fun". etc. Some of these shows were more or less limited to the New York City and surrounding areas others were more nationwide.

NQ6U
08-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Huh. I'm surprised they didn't have you sit with the grandparents, ye olde bastid.

Actually, I was old enough that they almost made me sit with the parents, but relented when my little brother started to cry.

WX7P
08-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Actually, I was old enough that they almost made me sit with the parents, but relented when my little brother started to cry.

I seem to recall Mayor Art's guests were really little kids, and most were from The City or Marin.

K7SGJ
08-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I seem to recall Mayor Art's guests were really little kids, and most were from The City or Marin.

Is that where Pay for View began?

KG4CGC
08-09-2013, 04:10 AM
I watched it here when I was very young. Since it didn't come on until after school started, once I started 1st grade I couldn't watch it anymore. The local channels did have cartoons on while we were getting ready for school though.
Kindergarten was a mixed bag as we didn't always have to adhere to the state schedule.

kb2vxa
08-09-2013, 08:07 AM
"Since it didn't come on until after school started, once I started 1st grade I couldn't watch it anymore."

That was the whole idea, too much exposure to cathode rays causes cellular mutation. You wouldn't want to end up like Mister Green Genes would you?