PDA

View Full Version : Sun's magnetic Field To Flip: Prepared for the End

KG4CGC
08-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Prepare for the end of this solar cycle as the Sun's magnetic field flips. Apparently it's a common occurrence although according to the article, the ripple effects will be felt out to Pluto and beyond.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/06/suns-magnetic-field-flip-reverse-complete-reversal_n_3713773.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

What effect will this field reversal and its ripples have on ham radio?

WØTKX
08-07-2013, 05:58 AM
If it reverses, the second "bump" on this sunspot cycle will start, and may be bigger than the first. What's amusing the solar scientific crowd is that it may not flip, the sun will end up with four "poles" for a while, and get very quiet. Like during the Maunder Minimum.

If that happens, we may cool down for a while, and the next cycle or two will be even lower. Crappy for upper HF and VHF radio propagation, but Good 'ol Sol might save us from ourselves and the outrageous climate change that we are living through. Or at least slow it down.

Interesting times.

W4GPL
08-07-2013, 06:07 AM
The end? Finally!.. something to look forward to.

WØTKX
08-07-2013, 06:11 AM
You'll finally get that Friday the 13th you want so bad. ;)

NQ6U
08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
"The End"? You say that as if it were a bad thing...

Seriously, Sol flips it's poles from time to time and it has little or no effect on Earth. Might screw up HF prop, then again, it might make it better. And, you realize what the root cause of all this is, right? Right: after forty-plus years of saying I was gonna get my ham ticket, I finally got it in 2009.

WX7P
08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
This is the end...Beautiful friend

W2NAP
08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
its the end of the world as we know it, and i feel fine

n2ize
08-09-2013, 04:21 AM
If it reverses, the second "bump" on this sunspot cycle will start, and may be bigger than the first. What's amusing the solar scientific crowd is that it may not flip, the sun will end up with four "poles" for a while, and get very quiet. Like during the Maunder Minimum.

If that happens, we may cool down for a while, and the next cycle or two will be even lower. Crappy for upper HF and VHF radio propagation, but Good 'ol Sol might save us from ourselves and the outrageous climate change that we are living through. Or at least slow it down.

Interesting times.

During times of high sunspot activity we tend to have warmer weather. When it is low the weather is much cooler. I've always noticed how mild our winters are during the peak of a cycle and how much colder they are during low activity. I think solar activity has a much greater effect on climate change than most people realize.

kb2vxa
08-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Oh really? You must be saying most people are so stupid that they can't understand why standing in sunlight warms them and shade gives relief on a hot summer day. Oh and BTW I know you're my advocate, thank you most useful slave. I am the best friend the Church has ever had, as I have kept it in business all these years!

WØTKX
08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
So the Grumpy 'ol Bastid really is Uncle Screwtape? :evil:

NQ6U
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
So the Grumpy 'ol Bastid really is Uncle Screwtape? :evil:

I dunno, I've had him on ignore ever since his antisemitic rant a while back. He's a zero-value-added poster.

N7YA
08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
So i guess its time to break out the smaller antennas.

K9CCH
08-09-2013, 06:27 PM
I found his eyebrows more entertaining than the video...

kb2vxa
08-09-2013, 06:37 PM
"So the Grumpy 'ol Bastid really is Uncle Screwtape?"
No, but I found C.S. Lewis interesting reading...
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
Cause I'm in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah

"I dunno, I've had him on ignore ever since his antisemitic rant a while back."
Yeah right, say anything about a protected species and you're anti whatever. If it's negative it's a rant, this is the expected response of a closed mind when someone disagrees with a protected species. Comment on Black Panthers intimidating voters in Philadelphia and you're guaranteed to start a riot! When a snap judgement is made because of one post we have words for it, a knee jerk response, what happens when something touches a nerve.

One last truism before I move on, putting someone on ignore is like a Bible passage; "if thine eye offends thee pluck it out." Interesting, you have blinded yourself because someone hurt your feelings.

NQ6U
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
I found his eyebrows more entertaining than the video...

Those were his eyebrows? I thought he'd trained a pair of caterpillars to perch on his forehead.

N7YA
08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I thought he was a football player who put his glare smear on upsidedown.

kb2vxa
08-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Something like that, too dark and hairless for cackerpillers.