PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Church of Emcomm

KC2UGV
07-31-2013, 06:16 AM
From this ad:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/3965200082.html

I email the person, offering some advice:

I saw your ad on CL for free equipment. I have to ask: Why would a church need radios? Ops affiliated with the church can just bring their own there, should the need arise? Don't get me wrong, it's admirable what you are attempting to do (Prep for future disasters), but a station installed in a church would be somewhat useless, since there are already EOC's for the WNY area. Perhaps, you should look into the local ARES/RACES groups, so you can get a perspective on disaster comm needs. I'm only saying this, because resources are finite, and many are already working to flesh out already established disaster response groups. More fingers in the soup, a better broth do not make; so to speak.

Hope this helped, and didn't come across condescendingly.

The reply:

I fully understand and agree to a point, but my church has several Ham operators in Western NY and one on the best emergency preparedness programs in the nation giving aid to disasters world wide. We work with local administrators and authority very well. What we're looking for is a way to get more people involved and a way to better connect our church headquarters with local church emergency aid efforts and local community communication efforts. The necessary equipment for the effort is two prong if you will, one to have a at ready portable station and to equip new licensed Hams so the are ready when need arises. Unfortunately good intentioned comments like your suggestions do keep people from joining the hobby, and while I know that's not your intention most people take cell communication for granted and don't really believe communication can be a problem. Thank-you for your thoughts.

Wow, his church has one of the best prep programs in the nation? So, why the need for radios? I didn't bother replying after this, because it's a lost cause, really. Next, s/he'll post an ad looking for free motorcycles, so they can airdrop in with the motorcycles and radios in the disaster zone...

I can tell from the knowledge I have of Emcomm ops in my area, they don't need another location set up permanently. They need to finish fleshing out the current perm stations, and have a few mobile setups to go out on location (Sometimes).

W2NAP
07-31-2013, 06:28 AM
i wonder if he also wants donated orange vests and amber flashy lights.

KC2UGV
07-31-2013, 06:30 AM
And, we must not forget: Me suggesting interested groups work with already established disaster response groups makes people not get into the hobby...

KB3LAZ
07-31-2013, 06:34 AM
From this ad:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/3965200082.html

I email the person, offering some advice:

The reply:

Wow, his church has one of the best prep programs in the nation? So, why the need for radios? I didn't bother replying after this, because it's a lost cause, really. Next, s/he'll post an ad looking for free motorcycles, so they can airdrop in with the motorcycles and radios in the disaster zone...

I can tell from the knowledge I have of Emcomm ops in my area, they don't need another location set up permanently. They need to finish fleshing out the current perm stations, and have a few mobile setups to go out on location (Sometimes).

I don't know about all that but if you are giving out free motorcycles I am sure many of us here would take you up on the offer. :P

W2NAP
07-31-2013, 07:10 AM
I don't know about all that but if you are giving out free motorcycles I am sure many of us here would take you up on the offer. :P

oh ya. id take a free Harley.

K7SGJ
07-31-2013, 07:14 AM
It sounds like another uncoordinated attempt to be important. Although the desire to help is there, I fear that in an emergency all these
new licensed hams with donated radios will only add to the confusion and more than likely disrupt coordinated efforts. Then again, I could be full of shit as a Christmas Goose.

N8YX
07-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Eddie nails it squarely...St. Whacker and the acolytes will be along shortly with howls of indignation.

KC2UGV
07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
It sounds like another uncoordinated attempt to be important. Although the desire to help is there, I fear that in an emergency all these with donated radios will only add to the confusion and more than likely disrupt coordinated efforts. Then again, I could be full of shit as a Christmas Goose.

Eddie nails it squarely...St. Whacker and the acolytes will be along shortly with howls of indignation.

Ayep.

I think many hams miss the most important thing about emcomm: Decentralization. You want to support emergency communications? Build a repeater. Build a packet node. Right at home!

You get the benefit of learning how these integral systems work, and you put your sweat equity into keeping them online.

Multiple, uncoordinated, centralized resources just mean that more of these centralized resources get taken out, and the ones left standing become saturated.

N8YX
07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
At one time I had a pretty substantial packet node up and running - 3 HF and 3 VHF/UHF ports. It was designed and implemented exactly for that purpose. Now, an area D-STAR or WIRES node might be the way to go.

Back to that church: Reckon they're sniffing around some DHS/FEMA money? And as for their claim of being "...the largest in the U.S!" is concerned I'll borrow one of your lines:

Dox or GTFO. Methinks someone has a severe case of bloviation, coupled with a chronic case of self aggrandization...

W9WLS
07-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Back in the day's when we had a "C Band" sat dish working here!
I used to get a kick out of watching "Dr. Gene Scott" out in Calif. .
ON one of his shows he went on a rant that he needed 500 telephones "that day" , never did find out if he got them but it was quite a rant nun the less.
I now have to wonder if he has relocated to the East Coast ?

KJ3N
07-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Let me guess.... Mormons?

KC2UGV
07-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Let me guess.... Mormons?

Nah, Mormons are all on their game for disaster prep. Most mormons can live without outside supplies for 6 months.

KJ3N
07-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Nah, Mormons are all on their game for disaster prep. Most mormons can live without outside supplies for 6 months.

I imagine so, but for a 2-3 year period, there were Mormons coming into the local HRO to buy ham radio stuff. They bought a lot, mostly VHF/UHF.

KC2UGV
07-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I imagine so, but for a 2-3 year period, there were Mormons coming into the local HRO to buy ham radio stuff. They bought a lot, mostly VHF/UHF.

Oh, to be sure. I just don't think they'd be asking for donations for them from them non-public.

K7SGJ
07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
That's the difference; I think the Mormons would just find a frequency to keep in touch with the "Mother Ship", and wouldn't probably cause a problem. The others would all be playing "disaster central", and fucking everything up. There was a time I used to get involved when we had a need for emergency radio ops with radios out here, but that was long ago. With the advances in radio technology and dependability, it's time to leave it to the "trained" communicators, whoever they be. In an emergency, most everyone else would be more useful calling CQ on the low bands, doing some EME, or watching a movie on Amazon Prime.

Sadly, most of these whackers never will get it.

WØTKX
07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
You're gonna want to hit the repeater during the rapture?

K7SGJ
07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
You're gonna want to hit the repeater during the rapture?

No, but the list of WHO I'd like to hit is long, and distinguished.

NQ6U
07-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Ayep.

I think many hams miss the most important thing about emcomm: Decentralization. You want to support emergency communications? Build a repeater with a standby power source that will last more than a couple of hours.

Fixed that for you. We've got a shit-ton of repeaters around here, most of which will be useless in a real disaster because they're limited to either a few of hours of battery power or none at all.

KG4CGC
07-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Smells scammy. I'd look into it further without exchanging any more emails until you know more. Then let the state and feds, ''drop the maul'' on them.

N8YX
07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Smells scammy. I'd look into it further without exchanging any more emails until you know more. Then let the state and feds, ''drop the maul'' on them.
After reading that ad, the first thing I would do is to offer to fix the guy's Caps Lock key.

Next, find a couple disposable radios (old crystal-controlled 2M stuff, vintage Swans, an Eico 753, etc) and arrange for them to pick it up.

Then start watching the Buffalo area CL Electronics section and eBay for the stuff to be relisted, along with any other items which they've duped their way into.

Top it all off with some creative Rants & Raves postings highlighting the scam (if in fact that's what is occurring) and a bit of flagwork to shut down their acquisition pipeline. Or variations on this theme...much fun could be had.

K7SGJ
07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
After reading that ad, the first thing I would do is to offer to fix the guy's Caps Lock key.

Next, find a couple disposable radios (old crystal-controlled 2M stuff, vintage Swans, an Eico 753, etc) and arrange for them to pick it up.

Then start watching the Buffalo area CL Electronics section and eBay for the stuff to be relisted, along with any other items which they've duped their way into.

Top it all off with some creative Rants & Raves postings highlighting the scam (if in fact that's what is occurring) and a bit of flagwork to shut down their acquisition pipeline. Or variations on this theme...much fun could be had.

The only disposable radio I have around here is an old SX-88.

N8YX
07-31-2013, 07:57 PM

...and with that post, 'mhz just stroked out.

KJ3N
07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
...and with that post, 'mhz just stroked out.

:rofl: :rofl:

KC2UGV
07-31-2013, 08:31 PM

I just tossed one because I couldn't get the backlight on the dials to light up.

K7SGJ
07-31-2013, 08:35 PM
I just tossed one because I couldn't get the backlight on the dials to light up.

Yeah, this POS has a scratch on the bottom of it

NQ6U
07-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, this POS has a scratch on the bottom of it

I tossed mine because the ashtray was full.

W3WN
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Smells scammy. I'd look into it further without exchanging any more emails until you know more. Then let the state and feds, ''drop the maul'' on them.I don't know if I'd go as far as "scammy", but something doesn't smell right.

Their story just doesn't quite hang together right.

I'm not so sure it's a scam per se, but there's something else going on here. I just can't quite put my finger on what.

KC2UGV
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I don't know if I'd go as far as "scammy", but something doesn't smell right.

Their story just doesn't quite hang together right.

I'm not so sure it's a scam per se, but there's something else going on here. I just can't quite put my finger on what.

Someone trying to get a free station setup at a location on the hill, for personal use; and to also get a bit of "I'm in Charge" mojo going on?

KJ3N
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
........ and to also get a bit of "I'm in Charge" mojo going on?

Whackerific!

n2ize
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Emcomm sounds like a good idea provided they assist the public emergency authorities if, when, and where needed while at the same time not playing wanabee cops and taking care to assist when needed and not get in the way and hinder emergency services.

As far as the use oif a church is concerned I guess it's a matter of preference. Every community is different. In many communities the church was a central point of communications and organization. In other communities it may be the local barber shop.

kb2vxa
08-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Sounds like solicitation from Billy Sol Hargus' Church of the Gooey Death and Discount House of Worship. I wonder if this may be similar to the "church" based in the US that solicited old ham transmitter donations, shipped them to Costa Rica and built a televangelist radio station with them.