PDA

View Full Version : declawing cats

w2amr
07-31-2013, 05:51 AM
http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/8-reasons-why-you-should-never-declaw-your-cats.aspx?utm_campaign=0713%208%20Reasons%20Why%20 You%20Should%20Never%20Declaw%20Your%20Cats%20Post&utm_source=PETA%20Facebook&utm_medium=Promo

wa6mhz
07-31-2013, 08:21 AM
I would never EVER consider declawing Phoebe and Penelope, DESPITE the countless boxes in the house they have reduced to confetti! For, should they ever get out, they would be HELPLESS and die a horrible death. Not only can't they fight back, they can't CLIMB to get away from the hungry Coyotes that have overrrun Crest. They wouldn't have a chance! With claws, they can climb up trees and get away from a coyote.

So, I will live with my shredded boxes and love my kitties just the way they are! My arms are getting shredded too when they get anxious, but I wiil stand it.

PA5COR
07-31-2013, 09:10 AM
I consider it cruel and animal disfigurement.
Mine have all theirs in good order.

N2RJ
07-31-2013, 10:06 AM
I just trim their nails. I don't consider it humane to declaw. But our cats are indoor cats so they don't really need to hunt.

w2amr
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
I would never EVER consider declawing Phoebe and Penelope, DESPITE the countless boxes in the house they have reduced to confetti! For, should they ever get out, they would be HELPLESS and die a horrible death. Not only can't they fight back, they can't CLIMB to get away from the hungry Coyotes that have overrrun Crest. They wouldn't have a chance! With claws, they can climb up trees and get away from a coyote.

So, I will live with my shredded boxes and love my kitties just the way they are! My arms are getting shredded too when they get anxious, but I wiil stand it.
Good man. Have you tried getting them scratching posts?

wa6mhz
07-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Have the scratching posts. Picky Pusses!!! They ignore them and go for the BOXES!!

KG4CGC
07-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Claws have blood circulating through them in the upper part and if you ever saw an injured or mutilated claw it would be apparent.
Just imagine cutting all your finger off at the first knuckle.
That is declawing.

Even if it's a 100% indoor cat, it could still get out. Then what? It won't even be able to climb a tree to escape.

w2amr
07-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Have the scratching posts. Picky Pusses!!! They ignore them and go for the BOXES!!
Maybe you need to hide the boxes. :-D

w2amr
07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Claws have blood circulating through them in the upper part and if you ever saw an injured or mutilated claw it would be apparent.
Just imagine cutting all your finger off at the first knuckle.
That is declawing.

Even if it's a 100% indoor cat, it could still get out. Then what? It won't even be able to climb a tree to escape.
I'm surprised vets are still involved in this butchery.

n6hcm
07-31-2013, 06:50 PM
so am i. thing is: there will always be some vets that will do this. scandalous, imho.

NA4BH
07-31-2013, 06:58 PM
A little Ketaset, Betadine, scissors, gauze, tape and you're done. Easy money. Used to do it years ago.

KB3LAZ
07-31-2013, 07:07 PM
It doesn't surprise me. I mean, if you are looking at it as a pain and mutilation factor humans remove animal genitalia all the time. Yet it is something we advocate. Sure, they don't "need them for defense" but it is mutilation nonetheless. Neither of which are done truly for the animals benefit but rather our own. With claws its not shredding with "fixing" it is to avoid many types of hassle.

Could animals be "fixed"without removal of genitalia, yes. Is it done, yes but rarely. That being said, I don't know of many people (men or women) that are up for some form of castration as an alternative to what we currently offer.

Once more, that being said, do understand the point. At least one of the largest points which is to not create more unwanted animals that will be either without a home, dead, or abused, etc.

There are many things that we (society) do to animals that I do not agree with. Docking tails, cropping ears, etc.

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 07:14 PM
It doesn't surprise me. I mean, if you are looking at it as a pain and mutilation factor humans remove animal genitalia all the time.

Well I for one am in FULL support of removing human genitalia as well.... I think its time we even the playing field for the animals. Lord knows there's more than a few people in the US who SHOULDNT be allowed to breed just as much.

KB3LAZ
07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Well I for one am in FULL support of removing human genitalia as well.... I think its time we even the playing field for the animals. Lord knows there's more than a few people in the US who SHOULDNT be allowed to breed just as much.

While this is true it is also a sad reality in some cultures and for teenagers to boot.

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 07:18 PM
While this is true it is also a sad reality in some cultures and for teenagers to boot.

I'm sure they have long standing traditions or rituals or something that they go by.

We just need to do it to keep the stupidity levels down in our country.

KB3LAZ
07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm sure they have long standing traditions or rituals or something that they go by.

We just need to do it to keep the stupidity levels down in our country.

Yeah, no. I am rather culturally understanding and supportive but forced mutilation is twisted. Be it human or animal it is just screwy.

N8YX
07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Two of our four current cats showed up adult and declawed. The other two arrived as kittens and were left as-is, albeit having been provided with scratching objects and a quick squirt of water if they try to claw our furniture. They would rather play with their constructs than the couch at this point.

As far as

"...Well I for one am in FULL support of removing human genitalia as well.... I think its time we even the playing field for the animals. Lord knows there's more than a few people in the US who SHOULDNT be allowed to breed just as much..."

Be damned careful what you ask for, as the winds of change and favor are fickle...and anyone who wishes such on a fellow human being may one day find themselves on the outside looking in.

suddenseer
07-31-2013, 07:53 PM
I have adopted several over the years that where already declawed/deballed. I did not have any issues from them. I allowed one stray to follow me home once. I had her neutered. I kept a coffee can with coins in it to rattle when she decided to ignore the post, and practice on the furniture. She hated that noise. :evil:

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Be damned careful what you ask for, as the winds of change and favor are fickle...and anyone who wishes such on a fellow human being may one day find themselves on the outside looking in.

If you ever had to pull a baby out of an oven because that's where her intoxicated mother put her, or pull one from a crib that contained bags of drugs, or deal with the "parents" (and I use that word very loosely) that we have too... I'm sure you're opinion would be just the same.

But I digress, this was about cats, not people.

KB3LAZ
07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
But I digress, this was about cats, not people.

I prefer cats to people.

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 08:13 PM
I prefer cats to people.

always.

suddenseer
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Fred can tell you about my relationship with his pussy.

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm figuring thats a story I pass on...

N8YX
07-31-2013, 08:45 PM
If you ever had to pull a baby out of an oven because that's where her intoxicated mother put her, or pull one from a crib that contained bags of drugs, or deal with the "parents" (and I use that word very loosely) that we have too... I'm sure you're opinion would be just the same.
If you ever let your job affect you to the point where you literally begin to pass judgement on the people who you swore an oath to protect and serve, kindly walk away from it and go find another line of work.

The problem with selective breeding, eugenics, birthright lotteries and any other scheme into which either 'fitness of parenting' or 'fitness of life' factors is that the definition of "fit" is quite arbitrary. There are certain slopes which one definitely should stay away from and this is one of them.

Let the courts find the accused guilty without a reasonable doubt and I have no problem whatsoever carrying out the imposed sentences. To do so preemptively - no matter how much of a piece of human scum you're dealing with - is an abrogation of their Constitutional rights and must be avoided at all costs. Otherwise, we as a nation risk descent into anarchy.

We now return you to your cat thread. I have to chase one of mine off the radio desk before she learns what the PTT button does...

N8YX
07-31-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm figuring thats a story I pass on...

Hint:

It's a chest burster.

:shock:

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Let the courts find the accused guilty without a reasonable doubt and I have no problem whatsoever carrying out the imposed sentences. To do so preemptively - no matter how much of a piece of human scum you're dealing with - is an abrogation of their Constitutional rights and must be avoided at all costs. Otherwise, we as a nation risk descent into anarchy.

I'll say this, and then I'll be done hijacking the thread.

I wasn't referring to children at birth.

N8YX
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
I'll say this, and then I'll be done hijacking the thread.

I wasn't referring to children at birth.
Nor am I. But nonetheless we have to follow due process, lest we become that which we despise.

NQ6U
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
We now return you to your cat thread. I have to chase one of mine off the radio desk before she learns what the PTT button does...

I'm really glad mine doesn't have opposable thumbs. She'd be dangerous if she did.

NA4BH
07-31-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm really glad mine doesn't have opposable thumbs. She'd be dangerous if she did.

They do have a clavicle though (something a dog doesn't have, that's why they can climb trees).

NQ6U
07-31-2013, 09:18 PM
They do have a clavicle though (something a dog doesn't have, that's why they can climb trees).

I'm not disputing that fact, just curious: how does having a clavicle allow them to climb trees?

NA4BH
07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm not disputing that fact, just curious: how does having a clavicle allow them to climb trees?

Got to do with the 'ol reach around type thing. They can hug things closer and turn their paws in further. Hell, I don't know, just something I remember. Kinda like the smallest artery in the human body, Bubba should know this one. Along with where the only artery that runs through bone is located. The smallest muscle that has the longest name. I could go on................

WØTKX
08-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Anyway... The kitties at my house love their Turbo Scratcher toy. :yes:

wa6mhz
08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I will be going home in a few minutes, and will find out just how NEEDLE SHARP Phoebe's claws are, as she climbs UP me to get onto the Radio Station. OH that HURTS!

w2amr
08-02-2013, 03:20 AM
I will be going home in a few minutes, and will find out just how NEEDLE SHARP Phoebe's claws are, as she climbs UP me to get onto the Radio Station. OH that HURTS!
You need to try this. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/trimming_cat_claws.html
I do both of my cats every couple of weeks.

N7YA
08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
We are picking up our third kitten on monday...declawing is, and always was, out of the question!

w2amr
08-02-2013, 03:35 PM
We are picking up our third kitten on monday...declawing is, and always was, out of the question!
They are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

N7YA
08-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Especially ours! We are getting a kittie from the same dad as our beloved Chubbs. Our cat is pretty amazing!

W7XF
08-02-2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

wa6mhz
08-03-2013, 10:25 AM
You can only watch that for so many HOURS!

NQ6U
08-03-2013, 10:55 AM
You can only watch that for so many HOURS!

It's kind of like Hypnotoad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOfbnGkuGc

w2amr
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaOv9yJhP0

n2ize
08-03-2013, 01:20 PM

I agree. Cats need their claws for hunting. I had a cat who was an avid hunter. I would let him out and often spot him out hunting in a nearby wooded area. To take away his claws would not only have deprived him of his ability to hunt and sustain himself but would also have disabled his ability to defend himself. When our female cat had kittens he eventually taught the male kittens (when they were old enough) how to hunt and eat wild game. He was also very well domesticated, when he wasn't out hunting or when the weather was bad he would eat cat food and sleep in my closet, a quiet corner or at the foot of my bed all day.

Declawing a cat would be akin to removing all of a dogs teeth.

Once you declaw they are entirely dependent on people for food and protection. If they ever end up on their own in the wild they are done for.

KG4CGC
08-08-2013, 07:55 PM
http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2013/08/08/3-bellas-cause-petition-seeks-change-after-shelter-kills-couples-cat/

Piece of shit kid.