PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng HT's How to figure which is newest release?

W5BRM
07-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey guys.

I have a question about how to see which BF HT is the newest one out there. I see about 2 dozen different version HT's all of which operate the same bands. Am wondering how to know which one is the latest release.

Primary reason is that I have seen discussions about the software and the quality of newer versions vs older ones. All of the discussions say the same thing in one important area. You can't upgrade the software on the radios. This means if I unknowingly purchase an older HT with older unstable or low quality software, I would be screwed. I dont want that to happen...lol. I have looked around but there is soo much info and "noise" about them that I cant find the info I need.

Anyone know how to figure which one is the newest release??

Thanks

'NKW

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 09:05 PM
If you're referring to firmware, there have been no major changes to firmware since BFB297... 301-305 or 307 is simply BFB297 with a few bug fixes. Just make sure you get 297 or higher and not 251.

If you're talking about body styles, who knows. There are 5R's, 5RA's, 5RE's, 5RA+'s, 5RII's, and any number of others... all of which are the same radio with a few cosmetic differences.

I recommend either this vendor ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Plus-136-174-400-519-995-MHz-FM-Ham-Two-way-Radio-Earpiece-/181181664425?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item2a2f44cca9 ) or Three Old Crows General Store. Both of these vendors are excellent and have excellent customer service.

W5BRM
07-28-2013, 09:16 PM
There are 5R's, 5RA's, 5RE's, 5RA+'s, 5RII's, and any number of others... all of which are the same radio with a few cosmetic differences.

Thats what im concerned about. How do I make certain I get the newest firmware. I have seen threads on other boards which buyers state they got a "Brand new radio" with the older firmware. Most listings I see of them for sale say nothing about which software/firmware is included.

W5BRM
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
lol also looking at the 3 old crows site... Take a look at the customer service page.... makes me kinda nervous when the page has this written on it...

Ordering
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi luctus. Duis lobortis. Nulla nec velit. Mauris pulvinar erat non massa. Suspendisse tortor turpis, porta nec, tempus vitae, iaculis semper, pede. Cras vel libero id lectus rhoncus porta. Suspendisse convallis felis ac enim. Vivamus tortor nisl, lobortis in, faucibus et, tempus at, dui. Nunc risus. Proin scelerisque augue. Nam ullamcorper. Phasellus id massa. Pellentesque nisl. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nunc augue. Aenean sed justo non leo vehicula laoreet. Praesent ipsum libero, auctor ac, tempus nec, tempor nec, justo.
Payment, Pricing & Promotions
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi luctus. Duis lobortis. Nulla nec velit. Mauris pulvinar erat non massa. Suspendisse tortor turpis, porta nec, tempus vitae, iaculis semper, pede. Cras vel libero id lectus rhoncus porta. Suspendisse convallis felis ac enim. Vivamus tortor nisl, lobortis in, faucibus et, tempus at, dui. Nunc risus. Proin scelerisque augue. Nam ullamcorper. Phasellus id massa. Pellentesque nisl. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nunc augue. Aenean sed justo non leo vehicula laoreet. Praesent ipsum libero, auctor ac, tempus nec, tempor nec, justo.
Viewing Orders
Updating Account Information

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
You'd probably have to buy from a pretty shady vendor to get anything with old firmware.

Three Old Crows General store sells the newest stuff. They are a small vendor/importer in Fort Worth Texas. I purchased my programming cable from them and they are highly recommended with all things Baofeng. http://threeoldcrows.com/shop/magento/

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
lol also looking at the 3 old crows site... Take a look at the customer service page.... makes me kinda nervous when the page has this written on it...

That is programming lingo for the website they are using. I've had it come with a website template that I've used before. It basically means that its a premade template page that they haven't customized yet.

WX7P
07-28-2013, 09:59 PM
sic semper tyrannus

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 10:10 PM
sic semper tyrannus

NQ6U
07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
That is programming lingo for the website they are using. I've had it come with a website template that I've used before. It basically means that its a premade template page that they haven't customized yet.

Lorem ipsum is not programming lingo, it's a typesetting thing. It's meaningless faux Latin that used to to fill in space on a design prototype to give a visualization of what a page is going to look like once the real text is put in place.

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Lorem ipsum is not programming lingo, it's a typesetting thing. It's meaningless faux Latin that used to to fill in space on a design prototype to give a visualization of what a page is going to look like once the real text is put in place.

Yeah. That.

n6hcm
07-28-2013, 11:44 PM
i got mine through an amazon seller. the first one i got was DOA so i returned it and got a replacement from a different vendor which works fine. if you want to be sure you're not getting old firmware then find a vendor that moves lots of product. anyone who's selling lots of stuff (and can show it on ebay or amazon in their reputation) is probably selling recent firmware radios.

KC2UGV
07-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Thats what im concerned about. How do I make certain I get the newest firmware. I have seen threads on other boards which buyers state they got a "Brand new radio" with the older firmware. Most listings I see of them for sale say nothing about which software/firmware is included.

Three Old Crows is a reputable vendor. I do believe they actually check firmware of units they are selling, to ensure the newest. There's a couple of others that do the same. In fact, the owner of 3OC is available on the Yahoo! UV-5R group.

However, I would not buy one on eBay, unless you are comfortable with "Random Pick" by order selectors. You might get an older firmware, you might not. Hell, you might not even get the right radio. Personally? I would buy it from either 3OC, or Amazon (Prime eligible vendors). 3OC has excellent customer service, and Amazon will accept returns/exchanges pretty readily.

Now, all that being said, there really isn't much difference in the firmwares, AFAIK. All of the features advertised work on all of the firmwares. Things like the voice prompts change, menu labels, and other odd assortments. There is a cutoff in firmware where there are some serious flaws, but it is relatively old, and unlikely to get one with that old a firmware if you buy brand new from one of the two vendors I named.

W5BRM
07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
OK Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. Think I will get one from Amazon. Found a seller who ships direct from Amazon and I have more experience with them then I do with 3OC.

I will be ordering something from 3OC at some point. Just have never heard of them before. Will try small stuff before I move onto more expensive things from them. I live about 3 hours north of Keller. Would be nice if they had a brick and mortar store i could go in and puts hands on before buying.

K9CCH
07-29-2013, 11:34 AM
I will be ordering something from 3OC at some point. Just have never heard of them before. Will try small stuff before I move onto more expensive things from them. I live about 3 hours north of Keller. Would be nice if they had a brick and mortar store i could go in and puts hands on before buying.

You probably could. Contact Kurt at mooneyjockey@yahoo.com

He's the guy that owns Three Old Crows. He'll email you back usuall within the same hour.

KB3LAZ
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
I am looking at the TOC's website and I see not only the UV5R but BF-F8, F8+, and F9. I cant find a difference. Is there one? Also, I see they dont carry the UV3R which is what I want to pick up once back stateside. Any suggested retailers?

K9CCH
07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Well the BF-F9 and BF-8+ have a white on black display. That may be the only real difference from the original 5R. And you may want to email Kirt directly. He may be able to import a UV-3R for you.

KC2UGV
07-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I am looking at the TOC's website and I see not only the UV5R but BF-F8, F8+, and F9. I cant find a difference. Is there one? Also, I see they dont carry the UV3R which is what I want to pick up once back stateside. Any suggested retailers?

If you in fact want the 3R, there's a couple of vendors on Prime as well.

K0RGR
07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I suggest you buy from a U.S. distributor, preferably one with a warranty. It will cost a little more, but at least you know it is likely to function when you get it. I've had good luck with wouxun.us now called importcommunications.com Here's an add for what they say is the latest UV5R variant: http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=300&manufacturer_id=43 They also give you the firmware info. I believe the big thing is to match the firmware with versions of programming code that will work. There re instructions on the web for checking the firmware level.