PDA

View Full Version : Why is death so noted in this hobby?

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't understand why death is (for lack of a better term) 'such a big deal' in this hobby. I mean no disrespect, but its SK here, and SK there, and taking on someone else's call etc etc etc.

If another photographer died, I wouldn't pick up their camera and take over their style of shooting. And in the photography community, we don't notate passed photographers as "dark photos" or something of the sort.

Why is there such an emphasis on first telling the world that someone has died, and then referring to them as an "SK" for years and years on in.

Again, I mean no disrespect, I just don't understand it as a newcomer. When did it start? Why is it done?

K7SGJ
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
It's a respect thing. I don't know when it started, but recognizing a fellow from the hobby has been around a long time, maybe from the beginning. I suppose noting a Silent Key (SK) is quite similar to reading the local obits. When I see or hear about someone I've known who has passed, be they a ham, an acquaintance, friend, co-worker etc, I stop and remember how they influenced my life, good or bad. With hams, I think they touch a lot more people due to the nature of the hobby, more so than a photographer. Unless it is someone like Ansel Adams.

WX7P
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Very well said, Rata.

I would like to add too that hams are people that you get to know and talk to on a regular basis. You see their names and callsigns and you can hear their voices.

Many of the hams there were on 40m back when I started in the early 80's aren't there now, but I remember them all vividly.

It's funny that some of the expressions of some of those departed old guys have crept into the speech of some of my ham friends, used always in jest, not disrespect.

Unlike what you see on the internet, not all hams are bitter little trolls or completely socially unfit. I think the internet has done more damage to ham radio congeniality than anything.

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 07:25 PM
...but recognizing a fellow from the hobby has been around a long time, maybe from the beginning........

The only thing that I can assume is that it's a military inspired thing.

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
I would like to add too that hams are people that you get to know and talk to on a regular basis. You see their names and callsigns and you can hear their voices.

The only thing that I can compare anything to is photography, because I've been heavily involved in the community for years. But photographers are people that you get to know as well, especially if you involved yourself in the education circuit. For a few years between 2009 and 2012 we traveled around the country about two or three times a year to a series of educational conferences. We always met the same photographers, and we always spent weekends shooting and having fun. In your local community, you very often work with the same photographers all the time. You pass business leads, jobs, and location ideas around.

So its not just the ham community that is heavily intertwined and close nit. But still, as I said, I've observed that this is the only community with such a heavily emphasis on "SK".

And I understand the idea that its a respect thing, so like I said, I mean no disrespect by my inquiry.

K7SGJ
07-28-2013, 07:59 PM
No disrespect was detected, and it's a very good question; one that I continue to ponder. I think my first gut response of tradition would be my best guess.

WX7P
07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
The only thing that I can compare anything to is photography, because I've been heavily involved in the community for years. But photographers are people that you get to know as well, especially if you involved yourself in the education circuit. For a few years between 2009 and 2012 we traveled around the country about two or three times a year to a series of educational conferences. We always met the same photographers, and we always spent weekends shooting and having fun. In your local community, you very often work with the same photographers all the time. You pass business leads, jobs, and location ideas around.

So its not just the ham community that is heavily intertwined and close nit. But still, as I said, I've observed that this is the only community with such a heavily emphasis on "SK".

And I understand the idea that its a respect thing, so like I said, I mean no disrespect by my inquiry.

None taken, I just think it's an apples and oranges thing.

Photographers as a group aren't "on the phone" (or key, or digi whatever) on a frequent basis. There are some people I've gone 10+ years that I've talked to on the air but didn't meet in person. I still considered them good friends even though I never met them.

I'm give you an example: My first repeater hangout after I got my license was a pretty high level box in the SF Bay Area. Lots of people my age or with similar attitude. There was a pretty fair number of people who were on there every day and in my case it was all day because I had a field job that required a lot of driving. It was a great way to pass the time in traffic. Some of those guys, the ones that are still active, I haven't met to this day, but I know if heard them on the air, it would be just like it was back then. It was fun, we were kind of ham radio outcasts (but not drunken crude like those LA idiots) and it was overall a fun group.

We even had a few "old" guys. One guy, Nick W6CTK was probably in his 60's at the time, but he always would get on the repeater. Most of us where in our twenties, so he got a big ration almost every day. I used to give him shit because "CTK" was the name of the Czechoslovakian secret police and I would good naturedly accuse him of being a spy. He'd say: "Heh, Heh, Heh, APL (my old suffix) you're pretty smart there...I'm going to have to go back to the old country now..." I left the area and hadn't talked to him for years when I heard his voice at a flea market 15 years later. Like I said, it was just like before. Nick died a few years ago and I did have a chance to talk to him before the end. He was almost 90 I think.

Anyway, the whole point of this maudlin display is to emphasize that I believe there IS a bond among ham operators that doesn't exist elsewhere. Unfortunately, it's something that is slipping away with time. I don't want to go all Tevye and start screaming TRADITION!, but there ARE some elements that are relevant.

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Anyway, the whole point of this maudlin display is to emphasize that I believe there IS a bond among ham operators that doesn't exist elsewhere. Unfortunately, it's something that is slipping away with time. I don't want to go all Tevye and start screaming TRADITION!, but there ARE some elements that are relevant.

I guess yours is the explanation that has made the most sense thus far, and I can understand your point. In photography, sharing a mutual love of the art doesn't REQUIRE that I get to know someone. However in amateur radio, getting to know someone IS the art, and it is REQUIRED on some level. I guess without getting to know someone else, there probably wouldn't be much of a hobby would there. Because otherwise, it would simply be soldering.

K7SGJ
07-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Another thing that comes to mind, is that I think hams get to really know other hams better than people in other hobbies do, and often never having met. We talk with each other at great lengths, and get to know about each others families and other personal things not usually shared by many other hobbies. As an example, there was a regular on the Island named Albi, W3MIV. He was a hoot. You needed a Thesaurus or dictionary to even try to spar with him. He became a real close friend to many on the Island, as well as many on QRZ, and the ham community in general. He pretty much had a perspective on just about every topic, and was very, very intelligent. Long story short, he didn't post for a week or two which was unusual for him. He died very suddenly, and left a hole in the Island that can never be filled. I know I am a better person for having known him. I never met him in person, but surely wish I had. Of course, this is all just MY opinion, but I'm sure many others feel the same way. Publicizing the fact that he had become a SK, was the ham way to notify those in the community that he had passed, and will be missed. That's why you will find this is one of the few sites, if not the only, that will recognize birthdays of such special SKs, as well as all of us still pounding brass.

KB3LAZ
07-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Often times with age hobbies seem to intertwine with the fabric of ones being. Do something long enough and it is hard for it to not become part of your blood. Most hams that I have met have been a ham for longer than anything else in their life. Including being a sibling, spouse, parent, grandparent, professional, etc. When talking of a half century (much of the time) it is not hard to see how people can gain such close ties to others in a hobby that is heavily based on communication and often times of a personal nature. Much like other animals, people, particularly hams tend to form packs and when a member is lost remembrance is required.

I suppose many people in this hobby focus heavily on the social aspect. On the air, on the net, and in person. Though the most typical medium is on the air, in person meets have been a big part of the hobby for a long time. In the form of ham fests, club meetings, expeditions, contests, special events, etc.

In fact it is one of the things about this hobby that drew me in. I can say much of the same for motorcycle clubs. However, both cases have a strong family tie as well.

PS: As for Janet's comment on the focal point of interpersonal bonding slipping away, this fact is, sadly, true for many aspects of life. Not just with hobbies but with humanity as a whole.

WØTKX
07-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I have "lost" over a dozen on the air friends, and a few from this very forum.

My callsign is a vanity call, from my best and favorite (SK) Elmer.

Some of my gear is from SK ops. I treasure that equipment.

K9CCH
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
PS: As for Janet's comment on the focal point of interpersonal bonding slipping away, this fact is, sadly, true for many aspects of life. Not just with hobbies but with humanity as a whole.

Agreed.

We've been in our house for a year and a month now, and have only met one neighbor once when we were putting up Christmas decorations outside. I couldn't even tell your our neighbors names.

KB3LAZ
07-28-2013, 09:47 PM
I have "lost" over a dozen on the air friends, and a few from this very forum.

My callsign is a vanity call, from my best and favorite (SK) Elmer.

Some of my gear is from SK ops. I treasure that equipment.

This sparked a few thoughts. I too have lost friends in the hobby, more than a few and many of whom were locals that I knew before becoming a ham. Sadly, at my age and having been a ham for only a decade I am sure to lose dozens of on air, online, and in person friends. However this is part of life, a big one, and I will have to come to terms with that at some point. This makes me recall the 9th grade during a poetry class where I wrote a poem and the teacher pulled me aside and asked me if I feared death. After giving it some thought I could comfortably answer yes and no. I do fear death by not my own, rather those that I love who surround me. When looked at like that one can draw the conclusion that though death is scary, life is more so. At the same time it gives one a true appreciation of mortality, at least their own. Be there a reunion waiting in the afterlife, I know not but one way or another the loss will end.

Your comment on the gear of an SK reminds me of a not so cheerful topic. Beings I belong to a large ham family, gear is something that is often discussed. Particularly in the case of a family member becoming SK. This often times leads to frivolous arguments. Small and annoying but sad nonetheless. I have no desire to collect said gear but rather retain the memories collected over the years of a shared hobby and the joy that comes from it. This however is only due to my personal situation and I can understand the desire to obtain something that holds sentimental value.

In the end, the joy brought, the life lessons, and the fond memories are what makes it all worthwhile.

n2ize
07-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Because it's a very "people oriented" hobby. Ham radio depends on people being on the bands in order to works. Even with the most powerful transmitter and antenna system it's no fun unless there is someone else out there to respond. People get to know others people, some become friends over the years. When I use the radio it's no fun unless someone answers my call and talks back to me. People form cliques and groups and when someone dies it's a loss. This is quite unlike other hobbies and interests I have. For example, when I fly radio controlled helicopters or planes it doesn't matter if anyone responds or talks to me. The hobby revolves around building, testing, modifying, experimenting and flying different aircraft, different control systems, different radio systems, etc. . I can enjoy the hobby alone, there is no need to communicate with anyone. The only "communications" is between my radio and the aircraft itself. I can feel satisfied whether I do it alone or with others. When I play music, it's nice to play with a group or orchestra and play for the enjoyment of others and talk to other players.. But I also can enjoy it on my own, I can play some tunes, improve my skills and feel satisfied even without any response from anyone. I can play music and others may listen and they may enjoy listening even though I may never really get to know any of my audience members. Although I may miss a fellow musician if they die. The satisfaction is still there with or without other people being involved. Ham radio however is different. It's a social hobby. It depends on others and communicating wth others. Acquaintances and friendships are made over the years of communicating with others. You develop strong social attachments with others, lasting friendships and when one of those persons dies there is a great sense of loss. Ham radio is a social hobby and thus a deeper and more widespread sense of loss when a station becomes a silent key.

PA5COR
07-29-2013, 02:56 AM
True all the above.
Lost lots of friends on the airwaves i spoke to regularly a few good elmers too, happens in the 36+ years i'm licensed...
Most of us put up time and effort in the noble effort helping out in some way in society be it elmering, or sharing our experiences or be in aiding when there is a crisis or in any other form or way.

A lost art as it seems today, i've seen many changes in society, not all of them for the better.
For the rest the above makes it clear why we respect the fellow hams that left us, and put up th S.K. posts, as remembrance and honoring them for what they did and were in life.

suddenseer
07-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Let me contribute $.02. My best friend was Phill Cox KB8VVJ. I remember him coming into our ARRL VEC session to take his no code tech exam. He was blind, and had a 'wooden" leg from diabetes. He got on the air, and became an instant star in the local ham community. I helped him study for the upgrades to his license. Back then a handicapped person had to have a physician certification and a 5WPM code exam to get General class, and above. I helped him get his code to 10 WPM so he could pass any 5WPM exam. I helped him pass his advanced, and extra class exams using a TI-60 calculator. He was good at math. I did not help him remember questions, and answers, I helped him figure out how to answer the questions the old way. We cheated using a calculator.

Phil upgraded his antenna system due to his local ham community that loved him. We staged several tower parties for him. He lived 6 miles from me. When I did my 13 mile runs on Saturday mornings he would set out a one liter bottle of water for me in front of his house. I chose his house as a turn around spot.

Phil upgraded to extra class in no time. He soon became friends with 1000's of other hams all over the world. He checked into dx nets. he was part of the handi hams net. He had a schedule. He chatted with us locals on 2M FM in the morning. He switched to different nets on different bands through the day. He had many friends on the air.

Phil passed away April 2000. His funeral had about 20 relatives, and 10 others, and 300 hams. His family was shocked of the turnout from the ham radio community. They had no idea of the 1000's that could not attend.

K9CCH
07-29-2013, 04:27 AM
Let me contribute $.02.

Well, that certainly puts it into perspective. What a great story.

I only hope that I can make friends with an Elmer and others like that.

N7YA
07-29-2013, 06:21 PM
The only thing that I can assume is that it's a military inspired thing.

Some of it is because of the large amount of hams who are OT's and got their experience in the military. But its more of a fraternal thing. You are a member of the ham community and a small tribute is not out of place. That and most of us are old as dirt and we just want to know who is dropping off weekly...some are even looking for their own call. Memory can get a little rusty in later years, you may miss your own appointment with the robed one. :lol:

KG4CGC
07-29-2013, 08:52 PM
It is also something that draws out the vultures. An unintended consequence which makes prey out of the widows.
A sad commentary but I thought that it needed to be noted.

W3WN
07-31-2013, 07:05 PM
One thing I need to add... it's not just a respect thing in Amateur Radio.

I've observed the same attitude of respect towards those who are no longer with us in other "hobby" communities. At the moment, I'm thinking specifically of the... would you call them Amateur? Certainly not IndyCar or NASCAR!... 'hobby' auto racing and vintage auto racing communities.

And not just drivers, but flaggers and others as well.

Walk around the paddock at the PVGP, for example, and you'll hear stories about previous car owners, or the histories of the cars & their drivers (and not all drivers are owners, but that's another story); some of these stories, depending on the car, can go back decades. Many decades.

Or ask my Corner Captain at 18 about his predecessors, and some of the others whom we've lost from the Flamingo Flag.

The racing guys (& gals) don't have a term analogous to SK. But they do show the same respect, to those who've come & gone before.

So it's not just a radio thing.

KG4CGC
07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Flat Tires remembered.

NA4BH
07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
http://www.blueridgebeverage.com/site/assets/files/1523/fat-tire-1.286x0.jpeg

FAJITA

K9CCH
07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
That used to be one of my favorite beers.... That and New Orleans Blackened Voodoo.