PDA

View Full Version : Heathkit looking for help...

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 06:33 PM
http://heathkit.com/survey/index.php/278489?lang=en

By doing a customer market survey. Rat shack did this, and they are doing a great job doing a turn around. Let's have a "Part II" of that!

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I filled out the survey (I put some effort into it, too) and gave them my e-mail address. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this.

BTW, this site was mentioned twice in my reply.

K7SGJ
07-27-2013, 07:49 PM
I did, as well. I would love to see Heathkit return to the electronic kit arena.

kb2vxa
07-27-2013, 08:11 PM
1) Rat Shack cut its own throat, it almost ceased to exist and sells nothing you can't get at Wally Mart at a lower price.
2) Technology has gone WAY beyond kit building, plug a few boards together is building or learning something? I doubt it.
3) If I still had a shop to work in I'd build from scratch like I used to, drilling and blasting and all. I don't so I won't, even building a kit needs a shop to be built in and test equipment helps.
Three strikes, nah, the dead cannot turn around, they're dead; but someone with a shop, SMT tools and perfect eyes may disagree.

n6hcm
07-27-2013, 08:51 PM
the survey is kinda long but they pretty much did it right. my only gripe is that their privacy policy wasn't linked in where they made a reference to it.

i think they're going to find out that hams mostly want town cars but only want to pay pennies for them.

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 09:11 PM
1) Rat Shack cut its own throat, it almost ceased to exist and sells nothing you can't get at Wally Mart at a lower price.

You can buy an arduino kit from Walmart?

Maker Kits are obtainable at Walmart?

How about components

2) Technology has gone WAY beyond kit building, plug a few boards together is building or learning something? I doubt it.

I'll let these guy know that:
http://www.makershed.com/

3) If I still had a shop to work in I'd build from scratch like I used to, drilling and blasting and all. I don't so I won't, even building a kit needs a shop to be built in and test equipment helps.
Three strikes, nah, the dead cannot turn around, they're dead; but someone with a shop, SMT tools and perfect eyes may disagree.

It's dead for you if you like.

K7SGJ
07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
the survey is kinda long but they pretty much did it right. my only gripe is that their privacy policy wasn't linked in where they made a reference to it.

i think they're going to find out that hams mostly want town cars but only want to pay pennies for them.

I don't think hams are any tighter than they were in the Heathkit days of old. Just look at the number of higher priced new radios (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, Elecraft, Flex, etc) purchased and on the air these days. Maybe you or I don't have the scratch to buy some of this high $$ stuff, but someone sure as hell does. If they do their R&D and marketing properly, there is no reason why Heathkit can't be a success, again. I'd love to build their kits again.

kb2vxa
07-28-2013, 12:32 PM
"It's dead for you if you like."

What I like cannot alter the fact that in this neck of the woods Rat Shack went belly up in painful stages. It used to be a honey hole for just about anything I ever wanted including the dirt cheapest parts for fixing Audiovox 8 track players, that and steel beer cans (remember?) but the last stage before the store closed were a few junk items found on every shelf in the country. May I remind you that Buffalo is a long way from the Jersey Shore and things just might be a little different?

"If they do their R&D and marketing properly, there is no reason why Heathkit can't be a success, again."
To that I'll agree, they just might give Ramsey a run for the money.
"I'd love to build their kits again."
What a novel approach, trouble is you can build a kit only once and can't build it again unless you take it apart and start over. (;->)

wa6mhz
07-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I took the Heathkit survey quite some time back and have never heard anymore on it. Some folks thought it might be a Data mining scam. But no problems so far. Would like to hear if they are really going to do it, or if they are just surveying to fish abit.

WX7P
07-28-2013, 12:46 PM

What I like cannot alter the fact that in this neck of the woods Rat Shack went belly up in painful stages. It used to be a honey hole for just about anything I ever wanted including the dirt cheapest parts for fixing Audiovox 8 track players, that and steel beer cans (remember?) but the last stage before the store closed were a few junk items found on every shelf in the country. May I remind you that Buffalo is a long way from the Jersey Shore and things just might be a little different?

"If they do their R&D and marketing properly, there is no reason why Heathkit can't be a success, again."
What a novel approach, trouble is you can build a kit only once and can't build it again unless you take it apart and start over. (;->)

What?

NQ6U
07-28-2013, 12:48 PM
What?

The Wannabe Zen Mastah trying to sound profound once again.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l126/curegirl0421/Blog/funny-pictures-cat-is-zen-master.jpg

N8YX
07-28-2013, 02:04 PM
I would like to see Heathkit back in the kit business...

...just not repeating some of their mistakes of yesteryear.

Give me an updated SB104A and the option of building its receiver in a separate enclosure, thereby allowing for twins operation. Offer the standard collection of station accessories: Speaker/PSU, station console, monitor scope, solid-state 500w amplifier, 1KW ATU...perhaps a remote VFO for ops who don't want to build twins. Add WARC allocations, an IF shift and a decent IF-based notch filter...maybe an optional DSP module.

Whatever the company does, please don't repeat the mistake that was the HW-5400. 50HZ tuning steps were both bad and borrowed from the 651S-1, while the lack of a noise blanker had a lot of us shaking our heads. Truth be told, two of my -5400s operated for many thousands of hours in HF packet duty with nary a hiccup but they became useless at the onset of QRN. That design might be good for "set-and-forget" operation on your favorite SSB or RTTY net frequencies but they definitely weren't cut out for hunt and pounce 'phone contesting.

N2NH
07-29-2013, 11:38 AM

:rofl:

Thanks for posting this thread Corey. Took the poll and they seem serious. I hope they take it to the next stage and actually use the data to make it so. Would love an updated HW-9 or SB-104A. Maybe even a 10M FM XCVR. Now, how long before we can get KnightKits?

NQ6U
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
I'd like to see a modernized version of the SB-201 and the SA-2040 antenna tuner.

wa6mhz
07-29-2013, 02:51 PM
There are alotta small products they could make that would go cheap enough many hams would bite on them.

Something like the Signalink USB. That would be a big seller
Small 300W tuners with dual needle meters
Small wattmeters
Interfaces for Solid state rigs to Older Power amps (Soft keys)
Antenna Analyzers

Basically, re-engineering most of the stuff MFJ makes and undercutting there prices in kit form. MFJ is basically a kit anyway. The first thing U need to do is TAKE IT APART and re-solder all the poor solder joints, solder slops and shorts! TERRIBLE Soldering at MFJ!

KG4CGC
07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Thank you for posting the link.

N8GAV
07-30-2013, 06:52 PM
There are alotta small products they could make that would go cheap enough many hams would bite on them.

Something like the Signalink USB. That would be a big seller
Small 300W tuners with dual needle meters
Small wattmeters
Interfaces for Solid state rigs to Older Power amps (Soft keys)
Antenna Analyzers

Basically, re-engineering most of the stuff MFJ makes and undercutting there prices in kit form. MFJ is basically a kit anyway. The first thing U need to do is TAKE IT APART and re-solder all the poor solder joints, solder slops and shorts! TERRIBLE Soldering at MFJ!

Well that's why its called Mississippi Finest Junk

KG4CGC
07-30-2013, 09:09 PM
I sent them my resume. I have yet to hear from them.