PDA

View Full Version : Great News...

n2ize
07-27-2013, 01:12 PM
I got the system working that I was referring to in my "UEFI blues" post. It is dual booting Windows and Fedora 19 Linux. On both systems sound works, wireless works, printing, etc... all working flawlessly. Fedora 19 / 64 bit seems like a great distro although I am a bit unhappy with the new Anaconda installer. In any event its working now. I accomplished by switching the bios from UEFI/Secure to standart Legacy Bios mode. I then installed Windows and then Linux.

The only drawback is that I am not getting the kernel level protection that UEFI /secure boot offers. I hope that as time goes on EFI / secure boot issues with dual boot Linux systems will be better documented and better resolved so that UEFI Windows and UEFI Linux boot issues will be simpler and less painful to deal with. But for now it's booting into both systems which was the goal. Now all I need do is apply any updates, add on some software and we're in business and I can go back to living my life. :)

WØTKX
07-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Dear Wormwood;

Thank you for relinquishing your soul to achieve your goal.

Ever yours in the BSOD,

Screwtape

WX7P
07-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Complete Whoosh!

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Complete Whoosh!

CS Lewis, The Screwtape Letters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwtape_Letters). Protestant apologia for the most part, but occasionally pretty funny.

WØTKX
07-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Yuppers, it funny as er, ummmmm... Hell. Another one of those things I was exposed to as a Great Books Kid. :agree:

I'm having a LOT of fun with John's new sigline. The "other" John may be next. :evil:

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Yuppers, it funny as er, ummmmm... Hell. Another one of those things I was exposed to as a Great Books Kid. :agree:

I'm having a LOT of fun with John's new sigline. The "other" John may be next. :evil:

More than appropriate as well, given that he's been trying to get Windows working. If dat ain't sellin' yo' soul to de debil, I don't know what is.

n2ize
07-27-2013, 06:27 PM
More than appropriate as well, given that he's been trying to get Windows working. If dat ain't sellin' yo' soul to de debil, I don't know what is.

Yeah, I know, Most of you guys would just eradicate Windows and make a Linux only system. But I just can't do that. I am doing this job for a "customer" who wants it set up with dual operating systems. Now it's working fine and ready for the customer.

n6hcm
07-27-2013, 08:55 PM
so everyone who gave you advice on this should send you a bill? :)

WØTKX
07-27-2013, 10:07 PM
I do Winders, almost exclusively. Screwtape, indeed.

n2ize
07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Actually I didn't solve anything. I merely put a UEFI/Secure boot machine into Legacy/BIOS boot mode and installed Windows and Linux as we have been doing for years. Basically all I did was buck the UEFI/secure boot issues by putting the system into a legacy mode. I would be much more impressed with myself had I gotten both to work in UEFI/Secure boot mode. Whuich probably would have involved merely paying a petty $99.00 one time fee for a Microsoft signature. Or, buying RHEL for which I could have gotten an Academic discount.

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I do Winders, almost exclusively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbFM105UuJw

n2ize
07-28-2013, 05:19 AM
so everyone who gave you advice on this should send you a bill? :)

Yeah, I got paid bupkis for this job. This one was "on the house". Besides, the Devil is paying me enough already.