PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to Lower a Tower

W3WN
07-26-2013, 08:55 PM
The fun starts at about 3:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQPxRQo17I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQPxRQo17I)

Don't know who these guys are, but they're damn lucky no one got hurt.

(Video link courtesy of WB4GCS, who got the link fro K7XC on the W6YX VHF Reflector)

suddenseer
07-26-2013, 09:01 PM
My feelings exactly. Towers, and aerials can be replaced. Real human limbs, or lives cannot.

K9CCH
07-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow. Hope he had insurance.

suddenseer
07-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Wow. Hope he had insurance.I lost my tower, A3, and vhf/uhf beams due to a storm a few years ago. I called my insurance agent to file a claim. They informed me that a tower, and antenna system required a rider to my policy. I had been informed of this change several years back, and I prolly threw the letter away thinking it was junk mail, since I was not behind in paying my bill. DAMN!!!!!

WX7P
07-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Probably not covered.

I see all kinds of exclusions for this situation.

K7SGJ
07-26-2013, 09:15 PM
After carefully watching the video, I'm convinced that it can can be buffed out. Although, where it hit the outrigger will require a little extra elbow grease.

WX7P
07-26-2013, 09:16 PM
I lost my tower, A3, and vhf/uhf beams due to a storm a few years ago. I called my insurance agent to file a claim. They informed me that a tower, and antenna system required a rider to my policy. I had been informed of this change several years back, and I prolly threw the letter away thinking it was junk mail, since I was not behind in paying my bill. DAMN!!!!!

The policy probably had a $500 limit for the antenna, tower etc. Yours would have been covered up to the limit, whatever it was.

It's different from this situation.

A free standing tower is not considered a building item, therefore, there's no "all risk" coverage subject to the named perils in the policy.

There is no named peril for "shit fell down because the strap broke". It's like if you dropped your computer, most carriers wouldn't cover the damage unless the computer was scheduled (for a usually ridiculous premium).

W3WN
07-26-2013, 09:20 PM
After carefully watching the video, I'm convinced that it can can be buffed out. Although, where it hit the outrigger will require a little extra elbow grease.Some of that tower may be salvagable. Maybe.

The TH6? Scrap aluminum. The Isopole might be useable, one day. Might.

And I'd send that rotor out for a complete rebuild.

suddenseer
07-26-2013, 09:25 PM
The policy probably had a $500 limit for the antenna, tower etc. Yours would have been covered up to the limit, whatever it was.

It's different from this situation.

A free standing tower is not considered a building item, therefore, there's no "all risk" coverage subject to the named perils in the policy.

There is no named peril for "shit fell down because the strap broke". It's like if you dropped your computer, most carriers wouldn't cover the damage unless the computer was scheduled (for a usually ridiculous premium).Actually, when I bought the house back in 1993 my Illstate agent told me the tower and aerials where covered with the standard $250 deductible, and full coverage for liability if it crashed, and damage to my neighbor's property. They modified the policy at renewal several years before the storm. I did not pay close attention to the 6 month policy declarations that they sent me. Ohio has very weird P&L laws. The insurance company always wins, this in the formula. They informed me of the change. I saw a copy of the policy declaration. I did not catch the change. Mea Culpa

NQ6U
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I dunno what the perceived problem was, everything looked okay to me.

suddenseer
07-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I dunno what the perceived problem was, everything looked okay to me.I bet the system loads a RF signal quite well. Prolly 5/9 for DX. :lol:

K7SGJ
07-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Looks like he's finally got the right az/el for EME

suddenseer
07-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Looks like he's finally got the right az/el for EMEThat means "Arizona/England" for the newbies. There is a vicious rumor about "azimuth/elevation going around the inner tubes. I thought I would do my part, and stop it, NOW!!

NA4BH
07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I always check the Arizona/ England of my antennas. Don't you?

K7SGJ
07-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes, thank you for your input. Now STFU and go to your room. :twisted:

W7XF
07-27-2013, 02:34 AM
I don't think that's going to buff out.

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Insurance most likely wont cover it.

He had far above the load limits installed on the antenna. 3 hubs worth of EME arrays....

wa6mhz
07-27-2013, 12:19 PM
The ROTATOR is probably still good!

K7SGJ
07-27-2013, 12:23 PM
The ROTATOR is probably still good!

They tried it and all it rotated was the plastic goose by the garage.

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 12:30 PM
They tried it and all it rotated was the plastic goose by the garage.

Then they found out that the goose wasn't in fact plastic.

WØTKX
07-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Looks like the failure was using a heavy canvas strap?
There are ways that could have been avoided. Bummer.

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Baleeted. Commenting on wrong video...