PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng UV-5R (Firmware 307) Review

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Well, got my radio, and the programming cable (I was too lazy to program channels on the actual keypad) for my first brand new, in the box radio. Yeah me! So, I can't compare boxing/shipping/etc with other rigs.

These are the specific Amazon items I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RZJHJU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IYCQSO/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But, first impression on opening the box: It's not a slouch packaging job. The inserts held all the components in a plastic tray. I'm on Amazon Prime, so two day shipping was free, and I got it in two days, as expected.

The radio came with a full charge, which I'm still working on draining (Manual says to drain it 3 times). So, three days of monitoring, and it's still full. The drop-in charger seems a little cheap. Nothing like the Maxon drop-in bases I've used in the past. But, to order a new one costs $8, so I suppose in this regard, you get what you pay for.

The radio itself, however does not feel cheap. Battery latches, belt clip, antenna all look to be of superior construction. It's comparable to my HTX-420, without the die-cast case. Not sure if it would survive a fall, but neither would my smart phone, and I paid about $200 for that. I don't think any plastic case radio would do to well in most falling scenarios either.

The antenna is a reverse female SMA connection (Male on the radio side, female on the antenna). Some people gripe about this, but I believe Yaesu hand helds are the same. It seems to me that it would allow the antenna to break before the radio connector (A good thing), which I like.

Now, I've only been mostly monitoring, but I checked into a net, and had no issues. I also used a repeater to get an audio/signal quality report. Came back with decent audio, and signal quality.

Programming on the keypad is painful, but no more so than programming my HTX-420, or my Yaesu FT-2500. Programming via CHIRP is easy-peasy. Had no issues with the cable I got.

The radio comes with a belt clip, an earpiece microphone, a charging base, the stubby antenna, the radio, and a hand strap. Looking at the loop for the hand strap, I wouldn't trust it. People have reported the pin coming out of the belt clip, and I can see how that would happen. The pin doesn't have any heads on it. Just a straight pin. So, I'll keep an eye on it, and see if it works itself out of there (Likely will).

The firmware I got on the radio is 307, which is the most recent (As of when I bought this) firmware. Firmware is non-updateable, so you get what you get. The radio does have VOX, so it should would well for digital modes (No PTT circuit needed). Radios can also do radio-to-radio cloning, with a single cable, which could come in handy during Emcomm stuff, field day, hamfests, etc etc.

There have been some complaints about the manual being written in Engrish. This particular shipment had no such thing. While the manual is sparse, it's plainly readable.

Overall, I'd say for $31 + $8 for a cable, this was a pretty sweet deal. Will it last as long as a Yaecomwood? Who knows? It's not submersible. It feels (In the hand) like quality construction.

W3WN
07-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Any pictures?

With your blessing & a couple of pictures of the unit (yours, not a generic one off the web), I can make a newsletter article out of it. (I'm ALWAYS trolling for content!)

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Any pictures?

With your blessing & a couple of pictures of the unit (yours, not a generic one off the web), I can make a newsletter article out of it. (I'm ALWAYS trolling for content!)

No problem. When I get home, I'll take it apart, get some pictures of it "As delivered", and then as assembled :)

kb2vxa
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Some assembly required, batteries not included.

K7SGJ
07-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Some assembly required, batteries not included.

You got it backwards. Some batteries required, not assembled.

K9CCH
07-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I've got a Baofeng UV-5RA... actually I have two. The led flashlight on the first went out within 12 hours of opening it, so the vendor sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one.

This is a good flowchart for on the fly programming without a cable or computer. http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/pdf/uv5r_ProgStd.pdf

Get yourself the 3600 or 3800mah battery. My UV5RA lasts for about two weeks on a single charge.

For the price, I enjoy mine. I think they are cheap, but it works... usually. I have nothing to compare it to, but I think its a quirky thing that you have to be able to tolerate to enjoy.

This is what the UV-5RA looks like.

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Pics:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwqWmXJjlQK0T2RlUGk2d2lEWE0/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwqWmXJjlQK0Q0I1M0NLVzY5eTQ/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwqWmXJjlQK0X21HMjBGeVFpV0U/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwqWmXJjlQK0MHZVT2NtdGQ1am8/edit

More coming...

K9CCH
07-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh, and another thing. Firmware BFB307 is nothing more than BFB297 masquerading under another name. There have been no firmware changes since 297 except the name.

... or so I've been told by the baofeng officials.

KJ3N
07-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I've got no less than 6 HTs I don't use now. Can't imagine WTF I'd use another one for.

Mullica Hill hamfest is in September. Some of these things are outta here.....

K9CCH
07-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I've got no less than 6 HTs I don't use now. Can't imagine WTF I'd use another one for.

Mullica Hill hamfest is in September. Some of these things are outta here.....

This will probably be the first... and last HT I ever buy.

WX7P
07-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Never say never.

We use them here a bit especially if we're using two cars for whatever reason. Sarah has a license so we can hide on some obscure 440 simplex frequency if we want. We've used them a lot for floor to floor communication, ie adjusting antennas etc. That's the big reason I like the Baofengs. If I drop one off the roof and it explodes, whoop de doo. If I drop the VX-8 that I have, that's a FAR bigger loss.

KJ3N
07-26-2013, 09:08 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

You wish.... :rofl: :rofl:

Never say never.

:werd:

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh, and another thing. Firmware BFB307 is nothing more than BFB297 masquerading under another name. There have been no firmware changes since 297 except the name.

... or so I've been told by the baofeng officials.

There have been a number of changes, documented on miklor, and in the comments in the CHIRP software :) Minor bugfixes, really.

K9CCH
07-26-2013, 09:51 PM
There have been a number of changes, documented on miklor, and in the comments in the CHIRP software :) Minor bugfixes, really.

As per Johns response over on the other forum:

There's a link to the firmware updates and differences at http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/FAQ QA #1 and 2.
As you mentioned, BFB301 thru 307 all show BFB297. No one seems to know exactly what the firmware upgrades after BFB297 really are. There's now a UV82 which is a UV5R in disguise. New a dull moment at Baofeng :- )

John K3NXU

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?395309-BaoFeng-UV-5R-getting-better-reception-than-Yaesu-X-6R&p=2896136#post2896136

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
As per Johns response over on the other forum:

[/COLOR]http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?395309-BaoFeng-UV-5R-getting-better-reception-than-Yaesu-X-6R&p=2896136#post2896136

Notably, there's been software changes. Especially when dealing with CHIRP. See the commit log for various fixes related to the later firmwares.

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Pictures:

W5BRM
07-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Am considering purchasing one of these. Did some looking around and I see several variants of this. WHats the diff between the UV-5R and the UV-5RA? I cant see any different specs. Not sure which one is better

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Am considering purchasing one of these. Did some looking around and I see several variants of this. WHats the diff between the UV-5R and the UV-5RA? I cant see any different specs. Not sure which one is better

According to the Miklor site, they are all the same, shy of cosmetic differences. I believe the 5RA needs some mods to make the extended battery fit.

W5BRM
07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
OK Thanks. Am gonna wait a bit to order it but definitely interested. Just hope the pricing stays down like that....lol cant beat it

WØTKX
07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
I keep looking at that Anytone 144/440 rig. The detachable front of the radio is only 5.5" x 1.58".

Would work great in the Miata. I might actually have room for it. :yes:

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 01:12 PM
I keep looking at that Anytone 144/440 rig.

Me too, although for the shack rather than as a mobile rig. I'm currently using an ancient Icom single band 70cm rig that gets a bit flaky sometimes when the weather is warm. It occasionally decides to change frequency with no input from me.

KC2UGV
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I keep looking at that Anytone 144/440 rig. The detachable front of the radio is only 5.5" x 1.58".

Same here... These radios are so inexpensive it makes not pulling the trigger on a new one hard.

KB3LAZ
07-27-2013, 02:29 PM

I can't find much in the way of good reviews on this radio. However, after reading them, nits are being picked. That being said, it seems they are selling for around $325. Though I did see one or two direct from China sites that have them for $275 and free shipping. The only other dual band with dual RX in that price range is the Alinco 635 which does not seem to get a lot of positive chatter going either.

One thing is for sure, we are starting to see cheaper alternatives. If like the HT's a few more companies bring out such rigs we may see a dual band for around $200. But I do have to wonder, if these companies become more and more popular, won't the price start coming up?

W3WN
07-27-2013, 04:11 PM
< snip >
The only other dual band with dual RX in that price range is the Alinco 635 which does not seem to get a lot of positive chatter going either.
< snip >Oh? That's interesting.

I have had a lot of success over the years with an Alinco 510 (now on my second one) and an Alinco 590. For their day, they were nice rigs. Be a real shame if Alinco now has a QC issue.

KB3LAZ
07-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Oh? That's interesting.

I have had a lot of success over the years with an Alinco 510 (now on my second one) and an Alinco 590. For their day, they were nice rigs. Be a real shame if Alinco now has a QC issue.

I dunno. You know what they say about online reviews so keep that in mind. I never had an issues with my 605.

K9CCH
07-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Nothing. The UV-5R, 5RA, 5R+ etc etc are pretty much all the same radio, aside from cosmetic differences. The UV-5RA was supposed to the the "American" version if I'm not mistaken.

According to the Miklor site, they are all the same, shy of cosmetic differences. I believe the 5RA needs some mods to make the extended battery fit.

There are now 3600maH batteries available for the UV-5RA that do not require radio modification. I believe Three Old Crows General Store has them, and if not I highly recommend this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261163626874?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
"Radioshop888" is one of the higher recommended vendors out of Hong Kong. I ordered mine and it was here in less than 5 days.

K9CCH
07-27-2013, 06:34 PM
The only other dual band with dual RX in that price range is the Alinco 635 which does not seem to get a lot of positive chatter going either.

Before deciding on the FTM-350 I had been looking at the Anytone or the Alinco. The Alinco is said to have severe RX issues, and its a complaint that is fairly common among users. It was the #1 reason I decided against it.

This is just one of the many things I found on the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9RZ4vjJ5vc

NQ6U
07-27-2013, 07:37 PM
As far as intermod problems go, Alinco isn't the only one with that issue. All the Icom VHF FM rigs I own are quite susceptible to this as well. My IC-2200H goes wack when I drive by the huge computerized billboard at a local Toyota dealership and once when I was volunteering at a community event I found that my HT was useless whenever the stop light I was stationed near was switching from red to green and back again.

K9CCH
07-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm just regurgitating information that I've found in my own research and decision making.

KC2UGV
07-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Well, to update a little on the review:

Went to the CoB City Hall observation deck, to try out some simplex over lunch, on both 2M and 70cm.

Nary a contact.

Quite possibly the result of one of the following: Crappy antenna, few operators on during lunch time (Especially on simplex), poor operation of the radio (I think it kept kicking over the the other VFO every time I un-keyed), or some other reason.

I'm leaning towards the "few operators" idea. Assuming a -5 db gain on the current antenna, 1W FM ERP, at 174ft AGL should be able to hits SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, especially given the 360 view.

N2RJ
07-31-2013, 10:17 AM
I may buy one ,but I already have two HTs that I do not use. BUt I've been wanting a cheapie to carry into work and talk at lunchtime, so the baofeng may be a go.

W3WN
08-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks again Corey. Article & Pictures are now the top 2/3 of Page 5 of the August newsletter.

Yes, I will send you a copy when it's all done!

KC2UGV
08-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Cool beans Ron :)

W3WN
08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Compiling the PDF on the other computer as I type this.

Corey, if you can PM me an email address, I'll send it off to you -- if not tonight, in the morning.

And if anyone else would like a copy... ditto. (Or post the emails here if you're OK with that)

WX7P
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Compiling the PDF on the other computer as I type this.

Corey, if you can PM me an email address, I'll send it off to you -- if not tonight, in the morning.

And if anyone else would like a copy... ditto. (Or post the emails here if you're OK with that)

I'd like one, if you please to cquart@yahoo.com

Thanks.

NQ6U
08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Me too. <mycallsign>@cox.net

KC2UGV
08-07-2013, 07:00 AM
corey dot reichle at gmail dot com

KC2UGV
08-07-2013, 07:03 AM
I wish I had snuck this comment in before you got the article done:

Some people have complained about the receiver being as wide as a barn door. It's possible, however I did not see this. I tested again (No contacts) on the top of city hall with a better antenna. Our city hall is peppered with transmitter antennas (PD repeaters, etc etc). Didn't experience any intermod on the ham bands (Except for 444 MHz... It's an odd frequency here, I get intermod issues there with other rigs as well).

W3WN
08-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Hmm. Yeah, me too. Oh well.

Gentlemen (or at least you three), you should be seeing the August WASHRag in your email boxes long before you read this post. I'm sending it out from my work email immediately after posting this [I forward a copy to work to (a) make sure it actually went out, and (b) print a nice crisp copy on the company laser printers -- yes, I have permission!]