PDA

View Full Version : UEFI Blues

n2ize
07-25-2013, 10:19 AM
As I mentioned in another post I have been recruited to install Fedora 19 Linux on an OEM Windows 8 Laptop (Dell 15R) such that the system will be dual bootable, Windows or Fedora.

The Good news is that I got Fedora 19 installed and so far iut works flawlessly. Wireless card, video, sound card etc. all recognied and working flawlessly. It's the smoothest Fedora install I have evber performed on a new laptop.

Now, for the "bad" news. Since it is an OEM machine with Windblows 8 pre-installed is comes with UEFI and secure boot enabled... which according to documentation Fedora is supposed to be able to handle. Theoretically I should be able to install Fedora on a system with UEFI/Secure boot enabled. However, the only way I could get the install media to boot was to turn off secure boot, turn off UEFI boot and boot in Legacy mode. At that point I probably should have stopped and done some more research but, having Fedora running from the install media and the "install now" button right there the temptation to start the install was too great. I hit the button. I figured the Anaconda installer wuld give me a choice of if/where to install the boot loader (GRUB2) so that I don't overwrite the MBR. Well, unfortunately the new version of Anaconda didn't. It went it's merry old way and installed GRUB2 without asking me anything. Or, maybe I missed something. In any event the install completed. Problem is that now I can only boot into Linux, (which works flawlessly... Fedora 19 is a great distro). If I go into the BIOS and re-enable UEFI I can no longer boot into either Windows nor Fedora. I either have to be able to get Windows 8 to boot from GRUB2 or I have to reinstall the Windows 8 /UEFI bootloader and perhaps I can boot into both or, preferably get both Fedora and Windows to boot via secure/UEFI mode. But at present I am not exactly sure how to go about this. I have never played around with a secure boot laptop. It would have made my life a lot easier if Dell included Windows 8 install media with the system That weay I could put the whole damned thing into Legacy mode, reformat and partition the drive, re-install windows, install Linux and be done with it. But since they don't give you the Windows install media there is no use wishing for it. To make matters worst I am under extreme pressure to get this shit done ASAP !!

In other words any hints, ideas, suggestions, friendly advice, unfriendly advice, etc. is welcome. I could sure use it right now.

KC2UGV
07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Fedora can handle UEFI, however, it doesn't come with the proper certificates to boot in authenticated mode (aka secure boot). For that, you would need RHEL.

n2ize
07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Fedora can handle UEFI, however, it doesn't come with the proper certificates to boot in authenticated mode (aka secure boot). For that, you would need RHEL.

Hmmm... so what options do I have ? Do I call Dell and see if they will send me the Windows 8 discs and just reformat the drive, put the BIOS in Legacy mode wit secure boot shut down and install Windows and then Linux ? That seems like the simplest option. Only problem is it will take a few days to get the Windows media, assuming Dell will provide it. Will those disks install in non secure/non UEFI mode ? Or will I have to buy a whole new Windows Installation media from Microsoft ?

If this were my laptop this would be a non issue. I would dump Windows completely, reformat the drive and just install Linux. I'd be a happy camper right now.

KC2UGV
07-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Hmmm... so what options do I have ? Do I call Dell and see if they will send me the Windows 8 discs and just reformat the drive, put the BIOS in Legacy mode wit secure boot shut down and install Windows and then Linux ? That seems like the simplest option. Only problem is it will take a few days to get the Windows media, assuming Dell will provide it. Will those disks install in non secure/non UEFI mode ? Or will I have to buy a whole new Windows Installation media from Microsoft ?

If this were my laptop this would be a non issue. I would dump Windows completely, reformat the drive and just install Linux. I'd be a happy camper right now.

Put the BIOS in non-legacy mode, and just disable secure boot. Both OS's should be able to boot, however, Fedora might need to be re-installed (Since grub isn't configured correctly).

n2ize
07-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Put the BIOS in non-legacy mode, and just disable secure boot. Both OS's should be able to boot, however, Fedora might need to be re-installed (Since grub isn't configured correctly).

Sounds cool man. I'll give that a try first . If it don;t work I'll let you know. In a worst case scenario I'll be willing to spring for a copy of RHEL. In the meantime even if I need to reinstall Windows my brother will be able to use the machine in Linux for a couple days till I get Winders back up.

But I'll give your suggestion a try. I'll set UEFI mopde forward (on) , Legacy mode (off) and secure Boot (off) and see if I can get anywhere. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so far for the help. Right now my mind is jumbled with too many ideas so your suggestion is appreciated.

n2ize
07-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Okay, I turned off secure boot and I enabled UEFI. Now I can still boot into Linux but there is no option to do a Windows 8 boot. If I can configure GRUB to point to the right partition and add a label there is a chance I may be able to boot into windows. Not quite sure how to do this manually because it was usually done manually (by giving me a choice to add options) during installation using the old version of Anaconda. It looks like Grub was installed into a /boot partition which from what I have read is a good thing. Now if I can get GRP to point me to the correct windows boot load partition I might be able to conclude this nightmare and get on with my life.

Otherwise, everything is working great on the Linux end.

n2ize
07-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Okay, so far nothing I tried can get Windows to boot. Apparently I munged it up pretty bad when I did the Fedora install. I managed to get Dell to agree to send me new Windows 8 re-installation discs. Perhaps I can do an ordinary Legacy BiOS install and then put Linux back on. That is, provided the OEM discs will let me. That would make life so much easier. If I must do a secure UEFI boot via both operating systems I'd rather give my money to Redhat for a signed copy of RHEL than give my money to Micro$$ofty for a copy of Windblows.

Like I said earlier. If this were for me I'd be perfectly contented with a single boot Linux only laptop. But I am doing this install for someone else whop would like to have dual booting. Linux/Windblows 8

The discs will take 2 or 3 business days to get here. In the meantime the good news is the laptops is 100% usable (wireless, video, audio, etc. working flawlessly). In fact I am almost tempted to keep it for myself. Quad core, 64 bit, 6 Gigs of RAM it blows away my antique 2.4 Gig 32 bit desktop system.

Speaking in terms of Gigs, I have a music gig coming up this Sunday. Not sure if I'll attend or not.

n6hcm
07-25-2013, 09:00 PM
so many would conclude that this was not a problem :)

n2ize
07-25-2013, 10:18 PM
so many would conclude that this was not a problem :)

Oh, it is indeed a problem. A major PITA. It's not a problem if you plan to chuck windows and just use Linux or just use OEM Windows but if you are trying to implement a dual boot system it's a royal PITA. To make matters worst its new (relatively speaking) and thus there is a lot of conflicting info out there, misinformation, and general confusion. There are at least a few workarounds that I can try. Since I'll have the install discs I might be able to turn secure boot off and do a legacy bios install of Windows and Linux, just as I would do with an older non-UEFI/non-secure boot system. If that works I'll be in business. The other possibility is a UEFI/Secure Windows install followed by a RHEL UEFI/secure install which should work since RHEL is supposedly signed by Microshaft so it should work. By the time it's all said and done I should be an expert in this... or just lucky. My best advice, if you plan to build a dual boot system buy a non OEM Windows machine, partition the drive and install in non-secure legacy mode. I am sure that over the next couple of years better instructions and workartounds will be available on line. Right now it's all sketchy, trial and error, and hit or miss.

WØTKX
07-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Dear Wormwood;

That's what you get for messing with a Windows OS.
Even an Advocate such as you can't escape the pain.

Regards,

Screwtape

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Okay, I turned off secure boot and I enabled UEFI. Now I can still boot into Linux but there is no option to do a Windows 8 boot. If I can configure GRUB to point to the right partition and add a label there is a chance I may be able to boot into windows. Not quite sure how to do this manually because it was usually done manually (by giving me a choice to add options) during installation using the old version of Anaconda. It looks like Grub was installed into a /boot partition which from what I have read is a good thing. Now if I can get GRP to point me to the correct windows boot load partition I might be able to conclude this nightmare and get on with my life.

Otherwise, everything is working great on the Linux end.

SLOW DOWN A SECOND.

You shouldn't need to reinstall Winderz (Although, it may be easier). You just need to add the Windows chainloader to the GRUB conf.

Boot into Linux, and edit /etc/grub/{Your boot config name}

#This entry should work for any version of Windows installed for UEFI bootingmenuentry "Windows (UEFI)" {
search --set=root --file /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

Then, exit your editor, and type this command:

sudo update-grub

Try that.

n2ize
07-26-2013, 11:34 AM
SLOW DOWN A SECOND.

You shouldn't need to reinstall Winderz (Although, it may be easier). You just need to add the Windows chainloader to the GRUB conf.

Boot into Linux, and edit /etc/grub/{Your boot config name}

#This entry should work for any version of Windows installed for UEFI bootingmenuentry "Windows (UEFI)" {
search --set=root --file /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

Then, exit your editor, and type this command:

sudo update-grub

Try that.

I tried adding a chainloader to GRUB yesterday but it didn't work. But before I dismiss it as tried and failed let me go back and retry it as you have it written here. It might just work. Let me go back and give it a shot and I'll let you know if it works. Thanks.

n2ize
07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Okay, here are the results. I added the chainlloader to GRUB2 exactly as described. Since there is no update-grub command on Fedora19 I use3d

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

When I rebooted I got a windows 8 prompt in the GRUB bootmenu but when I selected it there was a brief pause and then I got the error
Invalid Signature, press any key to reboot which just takes me back to the same grub menu and from there it's just "lather-rinse-repeat" but no boot into Windows 8. Either something is been corrupted or overwritten or I am still pointing to something in the wrong place. This is with secure boot off but UEFI mode enabled.

BTW I got the Windows re-install discs today. Dell shipped them overnight FedEx so it would be a small matter to try to do a legacy install and then just put Linux on afterwards.

Any ideas before I go ahead with the format, partition, and re-installation ?

W4GPL
07-26-2013, 02:14 PM
I presume that's a typo? You meant /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ?

n2ize
07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
I presume that's a typo? You meant /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ?

Yes, that was a typo. I meant a "/" not a "." . I went up and fixed it.

n2ize
07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Okay, I am going to try and put the muchine into full Legacy BiOSW mode and see if Windows 8 wll install. Then installing Linux and making ther system dual boot shouldn't be a problem. If this doesn;t work then it's going to have to be a single operating system PC... either Windows or Linux. Or else I am going to have to buy a signed copy of RHEL or pay a $99.00 fee to get the signature for Fedora.. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully all will work in Legacy mode.

Microsoft has effectively made the old days of simple dual booting wth free versions of Linux impossible. I'd imagine people who use Ubuntu and other distros are feeling the same pinch as well.

From now on all my own systems will be non-OEM linux only systems.

The only other possibility is to boot from Live media but that would require changing the BIOS settings every time you go in.

n2ize
07-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Okay, good news so far. I seem to have been able to get Windows 8 to install from the OEM discs using Legacy BIOS settings (UEFI and DSecure Boot disabled) . Now once I get Windblows set up and going I will attempt the Linux/Fedora19 reinstall again. Hope it all goes well now. Wish me luck.

WØTKX
07-26-2013, 06:34 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYrMJa2XVds_HL1e0lTWHRuNPyG_5oz 76Apnuy8nidCSFt8iFP

N1LAF
11-20-2013, 10:26 PM
There is information, and probable solution posted on 'that other site'

One Section just on Dell computers

W4GPL
11-21-2013, 10:14 AM
There is information, and probable solution posted on 'that other site'

One Section just on Dell computersYou're seriously bumping a thread this old for shameless self promotion? Sad man, really sad...

N1LAF
11-21-2013, 10:57 PM
While I was at my favorite restaurant, enjoying a good cup of coffee while reading from a technical forum, the topic of UEFI, which I remembered this discussion. I put it in a PM, and a reminder here. Note no links or names were posted.

It is a shame that courtesy has become a bad act in some places

A caustic member here is adverse to the site I found the information, so the link was placed in PM not in open forum, to keep the peace.

ad4mg
11-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Your use of the phrase 'that other place' insinuates there is friction present. Perhaps that is your goal? There was no need for your reference to your imaginary faux drama. Any other person would have simply posted a link to the additional information, if that had been the intent, to only reference that additional info.

Your intent appear to be more 'complicated', especially with the victim creed you followed up with. You continue to reap what you sowed.

KC2UGV
11-22-2013, 06:51 AM
While I was at my favorite restaurant, enjoying a good cup of coffee while reading from a technical forum, the topic of UEFI, which I remembered this discussion. I put it in a PM, and a reminder here. Note no links or names were posted.

It is a shame that courtesy has become a bad act in some places

A caustic member here is adverse to the site I found the information, so the link was placed in PM not in open forum, to keep the peace.

Who here is averse to any site? I do not believe anyone has an allergy to a website.

W3WN
11-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Okay, good news so far. I seem to have been able to get Windows 8 to install from the OEM discs using Legacy BIOS settings (UEFI and DSecure Boot disabled) . Now once I get Windblows set up and going I will attempt the Linux/Fedora19 reinstall again. Hope it all goes well now. Wish me luck.Don't suppose you still have those Dell OEM disks? I wouldn't mind getting copies...

Our Dell test machines (Optiplex 7010) did not come with Win 8 OEM disks. Or any disks. It's one of those tools that we like having around... you never know...