PDA

View Full Version : New Ham FAQ - Or, things I wish people would have told me, and things I learned

KC2UGV
07-24-2013, 07:24 AM
In this thread, I'd like to create a resource for new hams (Or people looking to get a ticket) for frequently asked questions. I'm open to adds/deletes/merges/deletes, just add your Q/A, or merge idea, and I'll edit the post.

Q1: What is HAM radio?
A: Ok, first off, it's just "ham", not "HAM". It isn't an acronym, it's just a colloquial term for "amateur radio". Amateur radio is a hobby above all else. In this hobby, there's a whole lot of "sub hobbies": Just talking, tinkering with radios, building electronics that use radios, experimentation, just chatting, various radio sports, etc etc. Just remember: It's called "amateur radio" for a reason, we don't get paid for it. It's a hobby, not a business.

The other part of amateur radio is also community service. The FCC has allowed us to use a great swath of spectrum, so we can use it for the public good. Be that public good in learning about RF waves, providing communications during public events, or acting as a "backup of last resort" in times of crisis. We're not the "First line of defense", we're quite a ways back in the line :)

Q2: I want to become a ham!
A: Becoming a ham op is a long, and detailed discussion, but really boils down to what is here: http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license
But, don't get scared. There's no "dreaded" morse code test anymore, and the test is mostly about regulations covering operation while on the air.

Q3: Which radio should I buy?
A: How long is a piece of string? Seriously, it's a very opened ended question, which will net you about a bajillion answers. Some hams will say,"Don't get a hand-held radio as a first radio."; others will say,"Just get an HF and your general ticket"; and yet others will say,"Get a DC to daylight rig." The only right answer is: Buy the best radio your budget can manage. If your budget can only manage a hand-held, then get one. If it can manage a TT Orion, then get one. Your opinion of what you like and don't like will change as you progress anyways. You

Q4: Can I use X?
X can be anything, be it a type of cable, a type of interface, a type of radio, or a type of power supply. Yes, you can probably use it. An example question: "Can I use a coat hanger as an antenna?" The answer is,"Yes, you can." However, there are trade-offs made with every decision, be it in cabling, rigs, antennas, etc etc. Making something work, and then taking it to where it works well is a good portion of the fun in this hobby.

Q5: Why does everyone say,"Don't buy a handheld/QRP HF rig as my first radio?"
A: It boils down to ease of making contacts. Both can be someone frustrating when first starting out, as the hand held with no repeater (A re-transmit station) coverage can be almost useless. A QRP (A low power, generally under 5W RF Out) rig tends to be CW-only, and weak signals are hard to work (For both sender and receiver). If it's a phone QRP, even worse, as phone transmissions tend to be harder to decipher at lower powers. You can get either as a first radio, but you've got to understand their limitations.

Q6: I'm getting Radio X, and can I use Y Accessory?
A: Maybe. Maybe not. See Q3.

Q7: My ham buddy said I need to buy Super-De-Duper DX9000000 Antenna/Radio, in order to get on the air. Do I really need to spend $1000 on an antenna/radio?!?!
A: No. No. And, no again. Whenever a ham operator suggests you need to buy X in order to get on the air, they are blowing smoke. You can build your own power supply, your own radio, and you own antenna if you like. In fact, some in this hobby don't get on the air much at all, and all they do is design and test radios, amplifiers, and antennas.

Q8: What do I need to get started?
A: The most basic parts of your station are: An electrical supply, a radio, a microphone/key, and an antenna. With a handheld, it's all-in-one. With a "base station", you'll likely need an external power supply that supplies 13.8V (Sometimes referred to as 12V power supplies), some sort of radio with microphone or key, some sort of antenna system.

Q9: What's an "Antenna System"? I thought antennas were pieces of wire?
A: Often, hams will say antenna system, because everything past the RF out jack on your radio matters when it comes to putting your signal over the air. It's your antenna, and whatever connects your antenna to the jack of the radio.

Q10a: I need a ground?
Q10b: I was told I don't need a ground!
Q10c: I have a ground on the third prong of my outlet!
Q10d: I have a ground plane, so I don't need any more grounding, but everyone says I have a ground loop. What gives?
A: Ah, the subject of "ground". It can be very complex, very simple, or somewhere in the middle. To chop it up, we have 3 types of "grounds" when talking about grounds: Electrical safety grounds, RF grounds, and lightning grounds. Electrical ground is when every peice of your equipment is connected to the very same 0V Reference source. It's basically, for all intents and purposes, what your equipment considers 0V potential. When you have different electrical grounds with your equipment (Each connected to difference grounding points), you get "neat" things like ground loops, buzzes when you touch a piece of gear, etc etc. Generally, it's pretty simple to work out: Connect everything to the same power strip. Once you start adding more equipment, it gets complicated. Add in lightning grounding, and it gets more complicated. For starting out, just ensure everything is connected to the same breaker in the basement, and you'll be starting out in a good way. And make sure if your gear only has 2 prongs on it's AC cord, ground the gear to the outlet box.

RF grounds are a whole different story. RF grounds as basically the counterpoise your signal uses to push itself out the antenna. Without enough "push", you get other neat effects like a zap from the mic when you key up, or interference on nearby equipment like televisions and wireless mice. If you stick with a dipole to start out with, you'll likely not have a problem with your RF ground. It only becomes an issue once you get into more complicated setups, like magnet mount antennas (Which still, are usually not error prone).

Q11: Do I have to be a member of ARES/RACES/{Fill in local club name} to be a ham?
A: No. The only thing you need in order to be a ham is a license.

Q12: I wanna be a ham so I can help in emergencies/disasters! Where do I start?
A: Slow down there high-speed. Yes, there are sometimes needs for amateur ops in disaster zones, and for other areas like SKYWARN. However, you really need to be somewhat experienced in radio communications to be an asset in this area. BUT, don't let it stop you from volunteering for Red Cross, the local EMO, etc. They usually ALWAYS need hands on deck to fill sand bags, pass out water and supplies, set up tents, dig fire trenches, etc etc. It's hard work, but can be rewarding. And, don't let this stop you from getting your ham license either. Just don't walk in with a radio, and expect to save the day.

Q13: Can I use my ham license so my entire family can stay in touch during emergencies?
A: Generally, no. Every person transmitting needs to be licensed. And, hams can only transmit to communicate with other hams. We're not allowed to broadcast, so even one-way messages are forbidden. If you would like a radio system your entire family can use, GMRS is a wonderful service for this. One license covers a family. Secondly, ham radio communications are not like picking up a phone, and dialing someone. You generally either schedule a contact with someone in advance via internet/phone/snail mail, or you end up talking to a random person who happens to be listening at the same time.

Q14: I'm with a hospital, and my Crisis Manager said we all need to get ham licenses. Where do I buy one?
A: For starters, a job cannot require a ham license, as it would be forbidden by Part 97 (No pecuniary interests). Next, why does your manager think you need ham licenses? Backup communication systems built with either commercial/Public safety frequencies would most likely work much better. Because with ham radio, we cannot encrypt communications, and you're not granted exclusive use of any frequency. Any person can listen, and other licensed users are free to use the same spectrum, which could cause issues with your usage.

Q15: What is a "net"?
A: A net is a group of people, who meet on a specific frequency, at a specific time, to discuss a particular topic or to "rag chew" (Just chat about anything). Often done via repeaters, but also on High Frequency.

Q16: What is a "contest"?
A: Contests are a type of "radio sport", where participants try to contact as many people as possible in a specified time frame and get points for contacting others in a certain fashio. Rules and formats for contests are pretty varied, but by and large, this is the gist of one. They also tend to cause great heating to the ionosphere, thereby creating band openings that aren't there Monday-Friday :P

Last Updated: 7/26/2013

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm going to nitpick on a couple of things, so you can tell me to piss off if you like.

Q3: Why does everyone say,"Don't buy a handheld/QRP HF rig as my first radio?"
A: It boils down to ease of making contacts. Both can be someone frustrating when first starting out, as the hand held with no repeater (A re-transmit station) coverage can be almost useless. A QRP (A low power, generally under 5W RF Out) rig tends to be CW-only, and weak signals are hard to work (For both sender and receiver). If it's a phone QRP, even worse, as phone transmissions tend to be harder to decipher at lower powers. You can get either as a first radio, but you've got to understand their limitations.

First point: The FT-817, K2, K3/10, IC-703, and KX3 are multimode radios. Yes, they're 5-10 watts, but someone is more likely to run across one of those used.
Second point: SSB QRP is quite do-able on 5-10 watts IF you have a very good antenna. There are a number of people who buy QRP radios and then attach them to severely compromised antennas. Then they wonder why no one hears them, get frustrated, sell the radio, and drop out of the hobby. A standard 100 watt HF radio is (IMHO) the absolute minimum, if you're just starting out on HF.

Q5: I want to become a HAM!
A: Not really a question, but we can split this one. First off, it's just "ham", not "HAM". It's a colloquial term, not an acronym for an amateur radio operator. Many notions of how we got this term are found, but it was lost with the original Wouff Hong. Now, becoming a ham op is a long, and detailed discussion, but really boils down to what is here: http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license

This should be the first question. It should be answered with the reason WHY someone wants to be a ham. Too many people think ham radio is something other than what it actually is.

Q9a: I need a ground?
Q9b: I was told I don't need a ground!
Q9c: I have a ground on the third prong of my outlet!
Q9d: I have a ground plane, so I don't need any more grounding, but everyone says I have a ground loop. What gives?
A: Ah, the subject of "ground". It can be very complex, very simple, or somewhere in the middle. To chop it up, we have 2 types of "grounds" when talking about RF: Electrical safety grounds, and RF grounds. Electrical ground is when every piece of your equipment is connected to the very same 0V Reference source. It's basically, for all intents and purposes, what your equipment considers 0V potential. When you have different electrical grounds with your equipment (Each connected to difference grounding points), you get "neat" things like ground loops, buzzes when you touch a piece of gear, etc etc. Generally, it's pretty simple to work out: Connect everything to the same power strip. Once you start adding more equipment, it gets complicated. Add in lightning grounding, and it gets more complicated. For starting out, just ensure everything is connected to the same breaker in the basement, and you'll be starting out in a good way. And make sure if your gear only has 2 prongs on it's AC cord, ground the gear to the outlet box.

This should be rewritten: "To chop it up, we have 3 types of "grounds" when talking about RF: Electrical safety grounds, RF grounds, and Lightning grounds."

The way it's written, it sounds like in came out of a Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit. "Our 2 main weapons are...... our 3 main weapons are...."

N8YX
07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
There needs to be a question or two about nets and contests. And use of amateur radio gear in a service which requires its equipment to be certificated.

NQ6U
07-24-2013, 03:46 PM
You might want to add to #12 that HF is not reliable enough for use as a standby communications method between family members in another city/state/X miles away. My neighbor across the street expected it to be an alternative to her cell phone and was disappointed by the reality of HF propagation. Mention that amateur radio is for fun and experimentation, not as a substitute for more mainstream methods of communication.

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 03:46 PM
There needs to be a question or two about nets and contests.

Ron can write that section. ;)

K9CCH
07-24-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that I've asked at least 10 of those just this week.

KC2UGV
07-24-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm going to nitpick on a couple of things, so you can tell me to piss off if you like.

First point: The FT-817, K2, K3/10, IC-703, and KX3 are multimode radios. Yes, they're 5-10 watts, but someone is more likely to run across one of those used.
Second point: SSB QRP is quite do-able on 5-10 watts IF you have a very good antenna. There are a number of people who buy QRP radios and then attach them to severely compromised antennas. Then they wonder why no one hears them, get frustrated, sell the radio, and drop out of the hobby. A standard 100 watt HF radio is (IMHO) the absolute minimum, if you're just starting out on HF.

True, those units are commonly user units. However, they also tend to be in the $500+ range, even used (IMO). And, I'm working on the assumption a newbie will not have a very good antenna :)

This should be the first question. It should be answered with the reason WHY someone wants to be a ham. Too many people think ham radio is something other than what it actually is.

Noted.

This should be rewritten: "To chop it up, we have 3 types of "grounds" when talking about RF: Electrical safety grounds, RF grounds, and Lightning grounds."

The way it's written, it sounds like in came out of a Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit. "Our 2 main weapons are...... our 3 main weapons are...."

AFAIK, lightning grounds are electrical safety grounds. I'd be more than happy to change it to count 3, if I am wrong here, however.

There needs to be a question or two about nets and contests. And use of amateur radio gear in a service which requires its equipment to be certificated.

Noted.

You might want to add to #12 that HF is not reliable enough for use as a standby communications method between family members in another city/state/X miles away. My neighbor across the street expected it to be an alternative to her cell phone and was disappointed by the reality of HF propagation. Mention that amateur radio is for fun and experimentation, not as a substitute for more mainstream methods of communication.

Noted.

I'm pretty sure that I've asked at least 10 of those just this week.

We all have, as we were all newbs. I asked these same questions myself, and seeing you ask them figured,"Why not make an HI FAQ for Newbies to Ham Radio".

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
AFAIK, lightning grounds are electrical safety grounds. I'd be more than happy to change it to count 3, if I am wrong here, however.

You can have lightning grounds on a tower and incoming cables that don't tie into the electrical ground at all. Especially lightning grounds on towers.

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Tom, W8JI covers things nicely: http://www.w8ji.com/ground_systems.htm

VE7DCW
07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Q 16:

How do you build a half-wave dipole.......? :mrgreen:

(sorry...... a QRZ type question I was dying to ask)

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Q 16:

How do you build a half-wave dipole.......? :mrgreen:

(sorry...... a QRZ type question I was dying to ask)

:slap: :slap:

KC2UGV
07-24-2013, 07:11 PM
You can have lightning grounds on a tower and incoming cables that don't tie into the electrical ground at all. Especially lightning grounds on towers.

Noted.

suddenseer
07-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I finally joined a ham club so I felt good about using the local 2m repeater. I've only been a member for 6 months, but it seems that most of the elderly gentlemen there want me to run for president of the club. Should I ????????????

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I've only been a member for 6 months, but it seems that most of the elderly gentlemen there want me to run for president of the club. Should I ????????????

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7n9y4VJhc1rvvt9fo1_500.jpg

suddenseer
07-24-2013, 08:03 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7n9y4VJhc1rvvt9fo1_500.jpgWell, to be forthcoming. I was a 20WPM extra class when that told them something. That does not mean that I had the skills to be their president. BTW, I was elected almost a landslide. You can guess why I am not a member today.

K7SGJ
07-24-2013, 08:10 PM
And as for the medical aspects of ham radio, don't forget to mention that hams can use the RF from their transmitters to burn off warts.

NQ6U
07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
And as for the medical aspects of ham radio, don't forget to mention that hams can use the RF from their transmitters to burn off warts.

As well as brain cells, assuming they have any left at their advanced aged.

K7SGJ
07-24-2013, 10:03 PM
As well as brain cells, assuming they have any left at their advanced aged.

If they had many in the first place, they would never have become a ham.

KG4NEL
07-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Wire antennas are not always as cheap as they're purported to be.

KG4NEL
07-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Don't lick the coax.

KJ3N
07-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Wire antennas are not always as cheap as they're purported to be.

Especially if they're B&W antennas. Those guys should be wearing masks and guns for what they charge for their antennas.

KG4NEL
07-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Especially if they're B&W antennas. Those guys should be wearing masks and guns for what they charge for their resistors.

FTFY.

:spin:

One year at Field Day, I used one of those $70 Alpha-Delta full size dipoles. Solid copper was, of course, a major suck for a portable antenna, but it was built very, very well.

I think I'd rather burn my fingernails off than do wire antenna maintenance, so stainless blocks and fresh Dacron rope seem like they're worth it to me.

KC2UGV
07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Updated. Keep 'em coming!

W2NAP
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
don't say
"callsign" for id.
seriously its annoying and also when ever you newbs give your call its always for id.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/humor/how-to-sound-like-a-lid.html
should have to be read by every newb.

NQ6U
07-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Don't lick the coax.

Don't use your tongue to test for plate voltage on your linear amplifier.

kb2vxa
07-26-2013, 11:40 AM
12V is for wimps, real radios can KILL you. That having been said, I got a kick of Busty Rumpers and her 41 ways to sound like a lid in one easy lesson, I've heard every one more times than I can count. Maybe now you know why it's called 2M CB, tain fawer good buddy? No, I'm NOT your good buddy and frankly I want to KILL you! I should add one that particularly irks me, something that cropped up on HF DX stations within the last few years. OK they're foreigners so cut them a LITTLE slack but they're fun to goof on, "operating conditions here" and they go on to describe every rig, antenna and accessory they have (as if I really give a shit). Fine business, roger that; my operating conditions are terrible, I wish the ITU was a proper union so I could go on strike. Then there's this pregnant pause while they try to figure out what to say next, then whatever it is sounds more confused than before. Did that suck your brain out or was your ear leaking all along? K, que, K? That's another one, K is for CW like Q signals!!! I wonder what Captain Oveur has to say about that.............

FYI I don't give a shit because there's money to be made in the fertilizer business, what's in YOUR wallet? (dust, fleas, cockroaches)

WØTKX
07-26-2013, 01:41 PM
don't say
"callsign" for id.
seriously its annoying and also when ever you newbs give your call its always for id.

Hearing that I'll respond using "id" as a word, not the letters "eye dee".

W0TKX, for "id", not ego.

Once in a while, somebody gets it.

And, I've found a new friend to ragchew with. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego

According to Freud the id is unconscious by definition:

"It is the dark, inaccessible part of our personality, what little we know of it we have learned from our study of the Dreamwork and of the construction of neurotic symptoms, and most of that is of a negative character and can be described only as a contrast to the ego. We approach the id with analogies: we call it a chaos, a cauldron full of seething excitations.... It is filled with energy reaching it from the instincts, but it has no organization, produces no collective will, but only a striving to bring about the satisfaction of the instinctual needs subject to the observance of the pleasure principle."

NA4BH
07-26-2013, 01:45 PM
When I hear "For ID", I always say......... Let the breaking "4ID" station in here.

WØTKX
07-26-2013, 01:56 PM
12V is for wimps, real radios can KILL you. That having been said, I got a kick of Busty Rumpers and her 41 ways to sound like a lid in one easy lesson, I've heard every one more times than I can count. Maybe now you know why it's called 2M CB, tain fawer good buddy? No, I'm NOT your good buddy and frankly I want to KILL you! I should add one that particularly irks me, something that cropped up on HF DX stations within the last few years. OK they're foreigners so cut them a LITTLE slack but they're fun to goof on, "operating conditions here" and they go on to describe every rig, antenna and accessory they have (as if I really give a shit). Fine business, roger that; my operating conditions are terrible, I wish the ITU was a proper union so I could go on strike. Then there's this pregnant pause while they try to figure out what to say next, then whatever it is sounds more confused than before. Did that suck your brain out or was your ear leaking all along? K, que, K? That's another one, K is for CW like Q signals!!! I wonder what Captain Oveur has to say about that.............

FYI I don't give a shit because there's money to be made in the fertilizer business, what's in YOUR wallet? (dust, fleas, cockroaches)

Oh, hell yea! :rofl:

http://youtu.be/oJnj7qW-0zs

http://youtu.be/oJnj7qW-0zs

kb2vxa
07-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Doc Ostrow: Morbius was too close to the problem. The Krell had completed their project. Big machine. No instrumentality. True creation.
Commander John J. Adams: Come on, Doc, let's have it.
Doc Ostrow: But the Krell forgot one thing.
Commander John J. Adams: Yes, what?
Doc Ostrow: Monsters, John. Monsters from the ID!
Commander John J. Adams: The Id? What's that? Talk, Doc!
[Doc slumps and dies]

WØTKX
07-26-2013, 06:44 PM
That's good, I'll try that.

W0TKX, Monster from the ID.

Perfect for two meters. :snicker:

http://www.sangrea.net/free-cartoons/privacy_id-card.jpg