PDA

View Full Version : Any plans to change the site soon ?

Bubba
07-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Seams to be really down lately. Any chance of revival ?

PA5COR
07-19-2013, 10:39 AM
What's down?
Renewing several times daily every time new posts pop up?
We don't have as much members at over at qrz so what do you expect?

KC2UGV
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM
It's this thing called "Summer". People are outside. I'm stuck at a PC right now, and I'm killing time.

KJ3N
07-19-2013, 10:46 AM
It's this thing called "Summer". People are outside. I'm stuck at a PC right now, and I'm killing time.

And I'm waiting on some hardware to finish the radial system on my 160m T antenna.

KB3LAZ
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
The only activity that seems to be slower is in the Political forum, no loss. Everything else seems to be equally as fast or slow paced (whichever you prefer) as it has always been. At least in the five years that I have been here. Aside from when a random topic of interest becomes popular for a few days and people live in front of their keyboard.

Also, as was already stated, it is summer. I know for many online activity is much like on air activity. It is decreased in the warmer months as people go on vacation or simply stay outside for longer periods.

This place has always been more of an underground rave than a mainstream discotheque.

W4GPL
07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Statistically, we're only off by a small margin in terms of active posts. And as for the volume of traffic, we have increased every month for the last 2 years.

KB3LAZ
07-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Statistically, we're only off by a small margin in terms of active posts. And as for the volume of traffic, we have increased every month for the last 2 years.

To me it seems that activity shifts from time to time. Or rather its focus. It is normally noticed more easily by those that contain their activity to one or two boards. Just what I have noticed.

K7SGJ
07-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Seems okay to me. All the important stuff seems to get pretty well covered, even some of the not so important stuff. All in all, it's all good, y'all.

N8YX
07-21-2013, 05:47 AM
We've been off to the races (Friday) and running errands/visiting friends in Columbus (Saturday) in addition to the usual hectic summer schedule and I'll wager lots more folk find themselves in this spot.

Things will pick up come fall, major contest time or perhaps when a major event occurs and people want to discuss it amongst their peers. After all, most Islanders seem to be pretty active - not the normal "ham" by any stretch. We pursue life outside the shack too. ;)

N1LAF
07-21-2013, 06:44 AM
There has been a marked slowdown, and more people leaving.

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 07:07 AM
There has been a marked slowdown, and more people leaving.

No, that's inaccurate. Traffic here continues it's usual, gradual increase, and the membership grows every day. I approved 5 new members just yesterday.

Once we rid the political forum of troll posts and the associated nastiness, I predict the increasing rate of civil discussion will spur greater activity there, especially with the mid terms approaching.

We're going with the quality over quantity approach. Numbers don't impress anyone, look at QRZ, it has reverted back to a total cesspool, but they have gazillions of members! Whee!

It appears your new goal is to inflict maximum damage upon the site. I have a suggestion, Paul. For the benefit of all the good folks here, if this is all you have, please leave. We're not going to allow a return of the nastiness here, and that decision is final. If you would like to find a way to fit in, please do. Just be aware that things here are not as they once were, and that's the way it is.

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 07:29 AM
An additional comment on this topic...

I've already stated this, but we've determined that the constant trolling in the political forum created the nasty atmosphere that encouraged vicious personal attacks. While these classic meltdowns may have generated additional traffic in the style of a train wreck, this is not sustainable. In the long run, folks are offended by some of the vicious comments, and they do leave. I can name a half dozen long time members who no longer visit here because of the vicious attacks, and I'd love dearly to have them back.

The disaster that was once our political forum is over. We encourage vibrant, lively discussion, even strong disagreement, but we will no longer allow the relentless trolling or singularly personal attacks. Sooner or later, someone from the other side of the spectrum will offer a troll posting, and it will be met with the same result. The political forum is now for adult discussion.

If you have an ax to grind, take it elsewhere. As to the QRZ comparison, there will be no bannings unless someone really wants to force our hand.

I'm confident that we can return to being a forum where amateur radio operators may discuss the topics of the day without fear of retribution from the staff, and free from the disgust of being personally insulted by others.

Thread locks do no damage, except for those whose ego overrides common sense. Don't troll, incite hatred, or personally insult others, and we won't lock the threads. Act as an adult, and be treated as one. That's in our rules, and seems pretty reasonable.

ETA: Nobody ever said that a new discussion of a topic in a locked thread was forbidden. Almost any reasonable topic is allowed, so if a thread you were interested in gets locked, start a new one!

N1LAF
07-21-2013, 10:41 AM

I've already stated this, but we've determined that the constant trolling in the political forum created the nasty atmosphere that encouraged vicious personal attacks. While these classic meltdowns may have generated additional traffic in the style of a train wreck, this is not sustainable. In the long run, folks are offended by some of the vicious comments, and they do leave. I can name a half dozen long time members who no longer visit here because of the vicious attacks, and I'd love dearly to have them back.

1. Point out where it was trolling. If you look at the post, it was about 'privacy'. The fact it happened in the Obama admin was a statement of fact. I gave pertinent background information. I find the trolling comment suspect at best, an over-reaction.

Thread locks do no damage, except for those whose ego overrides common sense. Don't troll, incite hatred, or personally insult others

2. Let's see if your actions will meet your words. Example:

https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26121-I-understand?p=550854&viewfull=1#post550854

NQ6U
07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Give it up, Paul. Whining is unbecoming.

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 11:28 AM
1. Point out where it was trolling. If you look at the post, it was about 'privacy'. The fact it happened in the Obama admin was a statement of fact. I gave pertinent background information. I find the trolling comment suspect at best, an over-reaction.
You're entitled to your opinion. I am celebrating the opportunity you're given here to express it. You want confrontation. Look elsewhere for it.

2. Let's see if your actions will meet your words. Example:

https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26121-I-understand?p=550854&viewfull=1#post550854

Will you be acting as the judge on all my actions, Paul? Don't you have anything better to do? You want confrontation. Look elsewhere.

WX7P
07-21-2013, 11:31 AM

I'm not going to play your silly little game.

Things are different. Deal with it. Stop being a victim. It's boring.

NQ6U
07-21-2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsrE-9CLFg

KJ3N
07-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Give it up, Paul. Whining is unbecoming.

It's all he has left.

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 11:41 AM
It's all he has left.

I disagree. I recall Paul from the old days on QRZ, he did, and certainly can do far better. For some reason, he has chosen not to.

KJ3N
07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
I disagree.

We also agree to... ;)

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
I was just watching the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest just before I read this thread and some others on the same tantrum.

And it just occurred to me that N1LAF is the Randall McMurphy of Ham Island and AD4MG is sort of the Nurse Ratched of the Forum.

I'm just waiting to see who is going to take the role of the Chief character . . . .

This is why I occassionally donate to the site - it's at least as good entertainment as cable TV and costs a lot less.

KJ3N
07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I meant to comment earlier...

Any plans to change the site soon ?

I find very little wrong with this place. You & Bubba are welcome to find another beach, if it's not to your liking. :sadwave:

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I was just watching the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest just before I read this thread and some others on the same tantrum.

And it just occurred to me that N1LAF is the Randall McMurphy of Ham Island and AD4MG is sort of the Nurse Ratched of the Forum.

I'm just waiting to see who is going to take the role of the Chief character . . . .

This is why I occassionally donate to the site - it's at least as good entertainment as cable TV and costs a lot less.

Yeah, I'm a cold, heartless tyrant and N1LAF is a hero with a tremendous sense of humor. You nailed it, big guy. :lol:

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I'm a cold, heartless tyrant and N1LAF is a hero with a tremendous sense of humor. You nailed it, big guy. :lol:

You got it backwards. You've never read the book, I take it. That's OK. It's common for people who watched the movie as kids years ago to mistake McMurphy for a hero and Nurse for a "heartless tyrant".

McMurphy is an immature idiot trouble maker. McMurphy ends up lobotomized then dead. That's not a good thing.

Nurse Rached tries to keep the loonies under control. Nurse Rached wins in the end.

Chief is the hero.

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 12:06 PM
You got it backwards. You've never read the book, I take it. That's OK. It's common for people who watched the movie as kids to mistake McMurphy for a hero and Nurse for a "heartless tyrant".

McMurphy is an immature idiot trouble maker. McMurphy ends up lobotomized then dead. That's not a good thing.

Nurse Rached tries to keep the loonies under control. Nurse Rached wins in the end.

Chief is the hero.

I give you credit for calling that one! I never had the pleasure of reading the book. Huge mistake on my part. And, it has been many years since I watched the movie, which came out just about the time I graduated (1974), that I do recall. A quick check on IMDB reveals the film debuted in 1975.

I will set aside the cold, winter nights this year for reading that book, and get back to you on my impressions of the characters. Yours is an interesting perspective.

KJ3N
07-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I'm a cold, heartless tyrant and N1LAF is a hero with a tremendous sense of humor.

Only in the Bizzaro World of LAF....

WØTKX
07-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Vintery, mintery, cutery, corn,
Apple seed and apple thorn,
Wire, briar, limber lock
Three geese in a flock
One flew East
One flew West
And one flew over the cuckoo's nest

Oh.

:roll: :lame:

Insinuating that Luke is the Embodiment of the Combine? I don't think so. Fergawdsakes.
Maybe I'll rip my computer from it's place, throw it out the window, and run away.

Damn right, I read the book. And many others.

ad4mg
07-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Chief is the hero.

Chief kills McMurphy after the lobotomy. I also recall the kid with the stutter killing himself after the nurse browbeat him following the incident with the hooker. It's a disturbing movie, I guess the book is similarly disturbing?

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't think so.

I didn't think you would.

As you often do, you read way too much into things. Don't take it literally.

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
It's a disturbing movie, I guess the book is similarly disturbing?

Even more so.

WX7P
07-21-2013, 12:55 PM
As you often do, you read way too much into things. Don't take it literally.

That's a bold statement.

Do you hold the patent on interpretation?

N8YX
07-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Time for an appropriate musical interlude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsTRq_tQSE

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 01:12 PM
From my point of view, there are a lot of "acutes" and "chronics" in the forum. I think I'm one of the "chronics". There's a "combine" as well. There is for sure a lot of pressure to conform in the political forum.

As a mostly neutral observer I don't see that N1LAF is doing anything any different or any thing more trollish than a lot of others are doing constantly. The only difference is that he's on the "wrong side" - he doesn't conform.

Trolling using "biased sources"? That's funny. The political forum is FULL of trolling based on links and quotes from blatantly biased sources and are never challenged. Bias is relative. Everything is biased from someone's point of view.

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
That's a bold statement.

Do you hold the patent on interpretation?

Do you ever quote things IN CONTEXT?

WX7P
07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Do you ever quote things IN CONTEXT?

Yes, I do.

Thanks for your opinion. I think you're wrong about this and LAF thing, but I'm not interested in engaging you further, as I know how this is going to play out.

We've seen this act before.

Have a nice day.

WN9HJW
07-21-2013, 01:36 PM

The disaster that was once our political forum is over. We encourage vibrant, lively discussion, even strong disagreement, but we will no longer allow the relentless trolling or singularly personal attacks. Sooner or later, someone from the other side of the spectrum will offer a troll posting, and it will be met with the same result. The political forum is now for adult discussion.

If you have an ax to grind, take it elsewhere. As to the QRZ comparison, there will be no bannings unless someone really wants to force our hand.

I'm confident that we can return to being a forum where amateur radio operators may discuss the topics of the day without fear of retribution from the staff, and free from the disgust of being personally insulted by others.

Thread locks do no damage, except for those whose ego overrides common sense. Don't troll, incite hatred, or personally insult others, and we won't lock the threads. Act as an adult, and be treated as one. That's in our rules, and seems pretty reasonable.

ETA: Nobody ever said that a new discussion of a topic in a locked thread was forbidden. Almost any reasonable topic is allowed, so if a thread you were interested in gets locked, start a new one!

This seems very reasonable. Good luck.

WØTKX
07-21-2013, 01:43 PM
I have all but quit posting so-called opinion pieces on this forum.

Because.

WX7P
07-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I have all but quit posting so-called opinion pieces on this forum.

Because.

There's nothing wrong with an opinion piece. What's wrong is when the opinion piece gets quoted as fact.

That's the issue.

Unsourced garbage isn't worth the time of day.

Having said that, a SOURCED piece of information should not be discarded simply because it's from a site someone doesn't like for ideological reasons.

I submit that most right wing sites are "spaghetti throws" in that they disseminate information they WANT to be factual, but isn't. The old "if it sticks, run with it" theory. The "both sides do it" argument doesn't work, because both sides don't do it. It's really been only side that flings the spaghetti and they are tinged with tea.

NQ6U
07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
The "both sides do it" argument doesn't work, because both sides don't do it. It's really been only side that flings the spaghetti

Well, with one exception, anyhow.

WØTKX
07-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh, I know. But after the Turd Blossom debacle, I have disarmed myself. Can't hurt that Turd's feelings, it causes the whole forum to deteriorate. Meh. Meh, meh, meh.

At least there were staff changes. And I'm SO glad it happened. We no longer have a certain blatant troll on the staff. Of course, I was accused (and probably still will be) of being a troll. However, the less said about it anymore, the better, as it will be considered a personal attack.

I trust Jeff and Luke's judgement in these matters, and will always be proud of the fact that I fell on the sword. It does get better.

And, liberal is not a dirty word, but DON'T call me a liberal. OK? :rofl:

K7SGJ
07-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh, I know. But after the Turd Blossom debacle, I have disarmed myself. Can't hurt that Turd's feelings, it causes the whole forum to deteriorate. Meh. Meh, meh, meh.

At least there were staff changes. And I'm SO glad it happened. We no longer have a certain blatant troll on the staff. Of course, I was accused (and probably still will be) of being a troll. However, the less said about it anymore, the better, as it will be considered a personal attack.

I trust Jeff and Luke's judgement in these matters, and will always be proud of the fact that I fell on the sword. It does get better.

And, liberal is not a dirty word, but DON'T call me a liberal. OK? :rofl:

Ya whinny bitch.........oh wait............ooops...........never mind. Ya liberal troll. :stickpoke:

KC2UGV
07-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh.

:roll: :lame:

Insinuating that Luke is the Embodiment of the Combine? I don't think so. Fergawdsakes.
Maybe I'll rip my computer from it's place, throw it out the window, and run away.

Damn right, I read the book. And many others.

I will agree. Luke looks nothing like a Combine, AFAIK...
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091223234552/half-life/en/images/c/cb/Metrocop_blue_eyes.jpg

Bubba
07-22-2013, 12:11 AM
I meant to comment earlier...

I find very little wrong with this place. You & Bubba are welcome to find another beach, if it's not to your liking. :sadwave:

http://www.zoominto.com/zoomapi/ZoomButt.gif

I was just asking a question seeking suggestions. It is your very attitude that drives good people away. Pompous.. Nobody said anything about looking for another beach, but maybe you can go find one..

K9CCH
07-22-2013, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihb0QcEcbH0

WØTKX
07-22-2013, 12:23 AM
There is a huge difference between being pompous vs. assertive.

Most people need to learn that, many never will. :lame:

Bubba
07-22-2013, 05:51 AM
There is a huge difference between being pompous vs. assertive.

Most people need to learn that, many never will. :lame:

Ok.. Educate us all with an example please...

KC2UGV
07-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Ok.. Educate us all with an example please...

I am pompous. Dave is assertive. Clear?

WØTKX
07-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Well. Erm, OK. If you insist Corey. :rofl:

KC2UGV
07-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Well. Erm, OK. If you insist Corey. :rofl:

Well, I would say look at my title, but I seem to have been demoted from Grand Douchebag to Volcano Tamer :lol:

WØTKX
07-22-2013, 07:41 AM
You could fix that with your fake turban. ;)

K7SGJ
07-22-2013, 08:48 AM
You could fix that with your fake turban. ;)

I was concerned that there wouldn't be a turban big enough to fit but after looking around, noooooooooooo problem.....................

NQ6U
07-22-2013, 10:23 AM
I was concerned that there wouldn't be a turban big enough to fit but after looking around, noooooooooooo problem.....................

How about a gas turban?

KC2UGV
07-22-2013, 10:29 AM

That might be too small to fit all of my ego, however :rofl:

W3WN
07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Chief kills McMurphy after the lobotomy. I also recall the kid with the stutter killing himself after the nurse browbeat him following the incident with the hooker. It's a disturbing movie, I guess the book is similarly disturbing?It is.

Suffice to say, like any novel translated to a movie, a lot is lost in the translation (simply due to lack of time), and a lot of the interpretation by the actors (based on their own methods, or the script, or other factors) may differ from your own interpretation(s) from reading the original novel.

suddenseer
07-22-2013, 04:20 PM
This thread is what I love about the Island. It starts with a simple loaded question, and brings out the functionally dysfunctional aspects that I recognize from my family. :snicker: I guess one has to have been there to fully appreciate it. The last few years of my life has taught me to not take too many things that seriously. It's all good.

WØTKX
07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww pisssoff, Tim. :lol:

:spin:

suddenseer
07-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww pisssoff, Tim. :lol:

:spin:Spoken like a true relative.;)

WØTKX
07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
http://youtu.be/MY17npX5ZEs

http://youtu.be/MY17npX5ZEs