PDA

View Full Version : My first IRLP contact!

K9CCH
07-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Well I did it. It's probably not a big deal for most of you, but it was a first for me.

i connected to the WIN System reflector 9100 from a local repeater and ended up making contact with KD8BMI in West Virgina.

i know it's VOIP and without the Internet I'd be S.O.L., but you have to admit, the technology is kinda cool! I mean, I just used a $34 hand held radio to make contact with someone in WV via CA, while standing in my driveway in Houston.

i just can't wait until I can talk that far WITHOUT Internet assistance.

K9CCH
07-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh, and that was the first time I got to use my new vanity call too!!

W4GPL
07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Oh, and that was the first time I got to use my new vanity call too!!CCH Pounder is not amused.

K9CCH
07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Huh? Who is she?

K9CCH
07-15-2013, 09:46 PM
No shit... http://www.cchpounder.com/

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 06:33 AM
See that? When you use your initials for a callsign you get pounded. If you actually give a shit you'll do your homework and find out why I don't use mine. Anyway, congrats on finally getting out from the armpit, keep looking and you'll be talking to the... anus. Eh, if you lived in Jersey you'd know where the state's body parts are. (;->)

"i know it's VOIP and without the Internet I'd be S.O.L., but you have to admit, the technology is kinda cool!"

Not really and not so cool as you think. The internet is a series of tubes and they farked it all up when they made them electrical. Had they left them alone (they've been around a couple of centuries) they wouldn't crap out when the power fails. Maybe you didn't know that tubes don't require electricity or a Baofungoo in your hand to work so I'll show you. Get back to basics, USE THE TUBES!

WØTKX
07-16-2013, 08:29 AM
http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickencommunication.jpg

n2ize
07-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Well I did it. It's probably not a big deal for most of you, but it was a first for me.

i connected to the WIN System reflector 9100 from a local repeater and ended up making contact with KD8BMI in West Virgina.

i know it's VOIP and without the Internet I'd be S.O.L., but you have to admit, the technology is kinda cool! I mean, I just used a $34 hand held radio to make contact with someone in WV via CA, while standing in my driveway in Houston.

i just can't wait until I can talk that far WITHOUT Internet assistance.

Well, that's the beauty of HF. I never tried IRLP nor echolink. I should have a go at it one of these days.

WØTKX
07-16-2013, 09:10 AM
You've used it, sort of. Corey and I talked to you via Echolink.

n2ize
07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
See that? When you use your initials for a callsign you get pounded. If you actually give a shit you'll do your homework and find out why I don't use mine. Anyway, congrats on finally getting out from the armpit, keep looking and you'll be talking to the... anus. Eh, if you lived in Jersey you'd know where the state's body parts are. (;->)

"i know it's VOIP and without the Internet I'd be S.O.L., but you have to admit, the technology is kinda cool!"

Not really and not so cool as you think. The internet is a series of tubes and they farked it all up when they made them electrical. Had they left them alone (they've been around a couple of centuries) they wouldn't crap out when the power fails. Maybe you didn't know that tubes don't require electricity or a Baofungoo in your hand to work so I'll show you. Get back to basics, USE THE TUBES!

Sounds like a reference to the old pneumatic tube network that was used to send mail to different post offices in Manhattan back in the old days. At one point it was even extended to pass mail to/from Manhattan to The Bronx and Brooklyn.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=USPS+%2B+NYC+%2B+pneumatic+tubes&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CD8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.usps.com%2Fwho-we-are%2Fpostal-history%2Fpneumatic-tubes.pdf&ei=7VTlUdeIOvfH4APFzICICw&usg=AFQjCNHLTnMmlvC41M4oI4H7FPg3-R5_gw&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg

In fact it is rumored that many parts of the old pneumatic network still lie buried but abandoned beneath the streets of NYC.

n2ize
07-16-2013, 09:23 AM
You've used it, sort of. Corey and I talked to you via Echolink.

Yeah, but I would like to learn how to set it up and initiate a contact using it. Buy yes, I remember that, it was soon after I got my new HT. It was a great QSO. I remember you and Corey accessed the LIMARC repeater via echolink while I was talking direct into the repeater. That was fun, maybe we can try it again one day either via LIMARC or maybe the Alpine repeater which is less crowded and has better coverage into my area. If I remember correctly we had quite a few stations that joined in on that QSO. LIMARC is one of the most active repeaters in this area. They also have some interesting nets that come on that machine, such as the "nostalgia net" where people talk about all sorts of nostalgic trivia from old radio programs and TV shows to old advertisements, items, etc.

Perhaps next time round I can echolink or IRLP into a repeater in your next of the woods and we can have a chat. But I need to learn how to set it up and use it first.

WØTKX
07-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Echolink.org

IRLP.net

K9CCH
07-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah, but I would like to learn how to set it up and initiate a contact using it. Buy yes, I remember that, it was soon after I got my new HT. It was a great QSO. I remember you and Corey accessed the LIMARC repeater via echolink while I was talking direct into the repeater. That was fun, maybe we can try it again one day either via LIMARC or maybe the Alpine repeater which is less crowded and has better coverage into my area. If I remember correctly we had quite a few stations that joined in on that QSO. LIMARC is one of the most active repeaters in this area. They also have some interesting nets that come on that machine, such as the "nostalgia net" where people talk about all sorts of nostalgic trivia from old radio programs and TV shows to old advertisements, items, etc.

Perhaps next time round I can echolink or IRLP into a repeater in your next of the woods and we can have a chat. But I need to learn how to set it up and use it first.

All you have to do is make sure the repeater isn't in use, hold the PTT button, and enter the node number with the DTMF keys. You can use the IRLP website to find node locations.

the WIN system out in Cali is 9100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGySkr3MtNc

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Ah LIMARC, they have several repeaters and a great crowd. Gee, I miss the days when I had antennas and across the water the repeaters were easy to hit. Alpine is another matter, hidden behind Telegraph Hill in Holmdel I couldn't hit it from here, when I was in Elizabeth it came in like Gangbusters. Now I could probably go the Echolink route but it's just not the same once you've been spoiled by radio and the challenges it presents, oh well.

Now which one is the repeater? (;->)

K0RGR
07-21-2013, 01:08 PM
The WIN System is a good place to hang out. When I go out west, I always have a radio tuned to it, and I sometimes use it to talk to my brother in California from the simplex node here. The PAPA System is another good one - lots of interesting technical discussions there, and I also like the Western Reflector. I use EchoLink when I travel to keep in touch with home.

K9CCH
07-21-2013, 05:12 PM
The WIN System is a good place to hang out. When I go out west, I always have a radio tuned to it, and I sometimes use it to talk to my brother in California from the simplex node here. The PAPA System is another good one - lots of interesting technical discussions there, and I also like the Western Reflector. I use EchoLink when I travel to keep in touch with home.

PAPA system?

K7SGJ
07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
The PAPA system. If you ask nice, he gives you a quarter for the pay phone.

WX7P
07-21-2013, 05:42 PM
The PAPA system. If you ask nice, he gives you a quarter for the pay phone.

Heh, that's tellin' the whippersnapper, by cracky!

NQ6U
07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
After yet another feeble attempt at an Islander QSO earlier, I tried to find a local Echolink node. Not a single one of the open repeaters listed was working.

WX7P
07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
After yet another feeble attempt at an Islander QSO earlier, I tried to find a local Echolink node. Not a single one of the open repeaters listed was working.

Prop was weird today. I didn't hear you at all, but TKX was 5/9 one minute and mudville the next.

It was like being on 6 meters.

K9CCH
07-21-2013, 07:19 PM
We should all find a node to dial into, and schedule a day and time so that we could all check in.