PDA

View Full Version : A VHF Titan?

W3WN
07-15-2013, 03:19 PM
What's wrong with this picture?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEN-TEC-TITAN-VHF-RF-DECK-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-6-METERS-1-OF-A-KIND-NO-TUBES-/111119882739?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item19df42d9f3

My first thought was that someone with some skill had hacked up a Titan, and ALMOST duplicated the look & feel of it perfectly, to turn one into a 6 Meter amp (as has happened to many a SB-200/1 & SB-220/1 amps... right Pat?)

However, word from the Ten Tec reflector is that this IS a factory amp. Simply not buitl for the Amateur market, but for industrial (ie for medical or commercial research) use in VHF Low. That would explain both the near-perfect look of the amp & the lack of a model number.

Of course, it appears that the identifying serial number tag on the back has been removed. And with no tubes, a cut power cable, and no mention of a manual... it may well be a legit factory product, but still hacked up.

Thoughts?

kb2vxa
07-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Hacked up no, looks untouched BUT without a manual what tubes go in there? Why did the seller remove the tubes after taking pictures? Where's the power supply? My thoughts: would make a nice 6M amp if it was intact, basically all it would need is re-biasing because I have a sneaky suspicion it's biased Class C.

wa6mhz
07-15-2013, 07:07 PM
NO POWER SUPPLY??? NO TUBES???

He is SMOKING DOPE if he thinks anyone will give him $600 for it!

K9CCH
07-15-2013, 07:43 PM
NO POWER SUPPLY??? NO TUBES???

He is SMOKING DOPE if he thinks anyone will give him $600 for it!

It IS eBay... You could be surprised.

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 06:53 AM
There is nothing surprising on fleaBay, it's an on line hamfest, remember? The bottom line here is look at the pictures, they alone say "shonky deal", they look like different amps. Well, in any case 600 bux for a box of parts is insane. $20 and that's my final offer, take it or eat it.

n2ize
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
My first VHF rig was an old Johnson 6N2 VF transmitter, origionally designed to be powered and AM modulated by a Johnson Viking 1 / 2 or a Valiant serving as the modulator/power supply. I built up a stand alone power supply for mine and then I modulated the VFO to produce FM on 2 meters. It was a great simplex rig but I also used it to talk into 2 meter repeaters. With 100 watts input to the final there was hardly a repeater I couldn't reach and, for most repeaters within 50 miles I could easily be heard on the input. Repeater operation was wild. I would transmit into the repeater by tuning the VFO to the input frequency of the repeater and I would monitor the output on a scanner tuned to the output frequency. The switching was aceived by the use of a standard Dow Key. I also had to monitor myself on the output as I spoke into the repeater because the vfo would drift and I would have to keep adjusting the VFO to keep it centered on the input freq while I made my transmissions. I took it out of service when I got my first VHF/UHF handie talkie. But it was fun running the old 6n2. I still have the 6n2 transmitter. I think it needs a new final. I forget the tube number but last time I looked up the price it was very expensive. Perhaps I could find the tube on ebay. I can often find parts on ebay at reasonable prices if I shop around long enough.

In fact somewhere in my garage I should have a 6 meter beam and I also have a 2 meter beam. It might be cool to resurrect the 6n2 for use on 6 meter and 2 meter simplex.