PDA

View Full Version : Its been on the news but its still funny!

KC2IFR
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Asiana Airlines just released the names of the crew in the B-777 accident in SFO.

Pilot-in-Command: Captain Sum Ting Wong
Line Check Airman: Captain Wi Tu Lo
First 'Relief' Officer: Ho Lee Fuk
2nd Backup Officer: Bang Ding

KC2KFC
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
My wife is part asian. For some strange reason I don't find this at all funny. I guess I lack a sense of humor. I wonder what their names would've been had they been African American?

ad4mg
07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Topics of this sort should not be posted in the General Chat section of the forums.

kb2vxa
07-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Topics of this sort should not be posted.

W4GPL
07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, let's at least give some context.

This report of the pilot names was aired on KTVU after being 'confirmed' by an NTSB intern.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-asiana-airlines-will-sue-ktvutv-over-bogus-pilot-names-report-20130715,0,2659932.story

K9CCH
07-15-2013, 09:43 PM
It's probably my twisted sense of humor... Law enforcement does that to you, but I thought it was funny.

N2NH
07-15-2013, 10:56 PM
My ex-wife was all asian, and while the parting was less this amicable, this is still wrong IMHO.

WØTKX
07-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Sigh At least the Ugly White Americans "get theirs" sometimes... Does that make it fair, roundeye?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/531/494/847.jpg

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks to my warped sense of humor the names are funny in and of themselves BUT in the context of a disaster the Captain's name says it all. What I DO find funny in a strange sort of way is that round eyes comment, but maybe because of my exposure to Japanese culture and what they like about America which is just about everything. Did you know a sunburned left arm is a status symbol in Japan? Anyway, it reminded me of Saturday mornings watching Japanese shows on WNYC 31 in New York. Some of the commercials were for a plastic surgeon and the hook was "look American". I still don't know why that was in English when the rest was in Japanese.

Baseball, Sushi, Shonen Knife... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ba360Dz1sQ

WØTKX
07-16-2013, 09:06 AM
I've known a lot of Japanese folks over the years, and many have a delightful, and twisted sense of humor. At the same time, very polite about it. I'll never forget partying with a bunch of Mitsubishi Electronics sales engineers years ago. We were out till almost 4 AM in Minneapolis, raising hell. It was the first visit to the US for most of them, and we had a very good time together.

I did get to take them all to a MN Twins baseball game before they left... They went nuts meeting Kirby Puckett! That was their favorite thing we did.

We also signed a huge deal for high end color printers for the electronics distributor I worked for at the time. I still have their business cards, somewhere. The "presentation" of cards with appropriate bowing was quite interesting when we first met. I was coached on how to do that a few days before they arrived. ;)

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Yes, the depth of the bow is all important. In a match at the dojo you also bow, just NEVER take your eyes off your opponent (or you DIE Yankee dog, CHOP CHOP). (;->)

WØTKX
07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
After a few days, they loosened up. It was a bit formal at first.