PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Tour...

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I lied. Duplicate thread. Please delete.

NQ6U
07-12-2013, 07:26 PM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/shack7-13.jpg

The current iteration of my shack. It seems to change rather frequently.

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Hey, where's the band saw, lathe, drill press, table saw, wet saw, mortising machine, edge bander, and wood glue?

NQ6U
07-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm more of a metal kind of guy. I was standing on the bed of the lathe and propping the camera on top of the mill when I took the picture.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Well... should I put the OP back? LOL

NQ6U
07-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Maybe one of the mods can do a thread merge.

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Maybe one of the mods can do a thread merge.

Would they need to be a seamstress? Or maybe belong to the seamsters union?

NQ6U
07-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Would they need to be a seamstress? Or maybe belong to the seamsters union?

No, I'm a metal kind of guy, remember? I was thinking maybe 1/4—28.

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 07:56 PM
No, I'm a metal kind of guy, remember? I was thinking maybe 1/4—28.

Well that's fine. However, I always figured you as being a coarse sort of loose screw. 1/4-20, or maybe even 1/4-18.

NQ6U
07-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Damned wood guys don't know nothin' 'bout no treads. I've never even seen a 1/4-18 screw.

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Damned wood guys don't know nothin' 'bout no treads. I've never even seen a 1/4-18 screw.

I make my own, which goes to show, I'm not to old to cut it. I sure hope Bob doesn't come along, feel left (hand thread) out, and wind up putting a thread lock on this one. He'll probably want to show us his nuts.

kb2vxa
07-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Speaking of which, here on the Island we have a box full of nuts and I feel like the only bolt in the lot. Will somebody PLEASE toss in a washer? <cough>

Bubba
07-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Is that a DIY patch panel, looks pretty cool. Where is the wood chipper ?

NQ6U
07-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Is that a DIY patch panel, looks pretty cool.

Yeah, it's a piece of aluminum cut from an old road sign with a bunch of holes drilled in it using a step drill for the barrel connectors. I've discovered that the aluminum used road signs is excellent for that sort of thing, very easy to work with.

Where is the wood chipper ?

It's out back, but I need to hose it off before I take a picture. Corpus delicti, statute of limitations and all that stuff. If you expect to be Pope, you have to be willing to get your hands dirty.

kb2vxa
07-13-2013, 03:18 PM
There are places (like Texas) where road signs come pre-drilled.

WX7P
07-13-2013, 03:19 PM
hey cuguzz...

Is that a Sirius/XM radio stuffed in there?

NQ6U
07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
hey cuguzz...

Is that a Sirius/XM radio stuffed in there?

Nope. If you mean the thing directly below the S-20R, that's an old Sony CD player that someone pulled out of their car and gave me as busted. I fixed it, now it's the shack FM BCB receiver. Stays more or less permanetly tuned to the local NPR station.

WX7P
07-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Nope. If you mean the thing directly below the S-20R, that's an old Sony CD player that someone pulled out of their car and gave me as busted. I fixed it, now it's the shack FM BCB receiver. Stays more or less permanetly tuned to the local NPR station.

Ok, THAT'S why you're a dirty commie. I get it...

Yes, you got the right radio.

K7SGJ
07-13-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm more of a metal kind of guy. I was standing on the bed of the lathe and propping the camera on top of the mill when I took the picture.

It did look like a run on the mill photo.

NQ6U
07-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Ok, THAT'S why you're a dirty commie. I get it...

Yes, you got the right radio.

No, you've got it backwards tovarisch—I'm a dirty commie, that's why I listen to NPR.

W7XF
07-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Speaking of which, here on the Island we have a box full of nuts and I feel like the only bolt in the lot. Will somebody PLEASE toss in a washer? <cough>
Here ya go:

KG4CGC
07-14-2013, 03:40 AM
No, you've got it backwards tovarisch—I'm a dirty commie, that's why I listen to NPR.

National Programming of Russia.

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Here ya go:

Careful, your going to get a tit in the ringer.

kb2vxa
07-14-2013, 09:44 AM
S'okay, it's just the telephone, but if a tit gets caught in the wringer it'll give Jesse something to do. That reminds me of my aunt in Pennsylvania who had one of those in her basement garage, she still had both tits.

NQ6U
07-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Decided that the bare aluminum patch panel with paper labels was perhaps a little too declassé even for me so I painted it yesterday afternoon.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/patchpanel.jpg

Looks a little better. Believe it or not, I actually had a can of wrinkle-finish black paint that I purchased for another project but never used. The labels were printed onto 60lb cardstock with the laser printer and covered with transparent packing tape before being cut out.

There's room for two more radio connections and four more antenna jacks.

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Decided that the bare aluminum patch panel with paper labels was perhaps a little to declassé even for me so I painted it yesterday afternoon.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/patchpanel.jpg

Looks a little better.

Yeah, it looks great, but, WTF has that got to do with tits and wringers?

VE7DCW
07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Here ya go:

When I was 5 years old my mother used this type of washing machine to wash our clothes..... I snuck into our laundry room one morning and was having a gas fooling around with the machine and got the wringer going and promptly stuck my left hand into it and it dragged the rest of my arm in...... I really busted up my hand with that wringer and to this day I still have the scars on my left hand to prove it! ........ we got a new automatic washing machine very quickly after that :yes:

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 08:59 PM
When I was 5 years old my mother used this type of washing machine to wash our clothes..... I snuck into our laundry room one morning and was having a gas fooling around with the machine and got the wringer going and promptly stuck my left hand into it and it dragged the rest of my arm in...... I really busted up my hand with that wringer and to this day I still have the scars on my left hand to prove it! ........ we got a new automatic washing machine very quickly after that :yes:

My grandma had one, very similar to the pictured. Of course, all of them looked pretty much the same, but I digress. She had hers out in the detached, one car garage where grandpa did his re-upholstery work. One day, I decided to see what would happen if I put a piece of the thin black silky sort of stuff he put on the bottom of couches and chairs into the rollers. I really thought it would be too thin to go through. Ha! I finally got the ringer running, and fed in a bit of the material. The stuff promptly went through, and wrapped itself around one of the rollers. I tried like hell to pull it back or stop the machine, but couldn't. This medieval monster pulled off every bit of the material and jammed everything but good. At the time, I would have sworn the material was miles and miles long, not just several shityards. It seemed like it took weeks for all that material to go through. Needless to say, when I was discovered trying to pull that shit out of the rollers, and dragging that machine all around the garage, they were pissed. That was the point where I discovered that all that blather about grandparents being loving and forgiving and always wanting to have the grandkids over for the weekend, was a bunch of horse shit.

VE7DCW
07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Those damn machines had a way to interfere with kid's lives! ......... :rofl:

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Those damn machines had a way to interfere with kid's lives! ......... :rofl:

Aint that the truth!

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Radios interfered with my life, without them I'd have grown up normal... whatever that is.