PDA

View Full Version : Wildfire.

N7YA
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
For the last 10 days, the mountain behind our house has been burning up. About 25,000 acres have burned in Carpenter Canyon, Trout Canyon and Kyle Canyon. The Kyle Canyon road begins at the edge of my neighborhood. So far, nearly 600 people have been evacuated and 6 structures lost up there. Over 800 firefighters are battling this fire in difficult terrain and it went down to 10% contained.

The air has been really bad here for about a week, sending some folks to the ER with breathing issues. Yesterday we had a clear, sunny day, but it looked like end times on the NW side of the valley. Ash was falling like snow on us. Here are a couple of cell pics i shot returning to the house.

In on the edge of town (as you can see by the pics) where the horse ranches are. There are a few more up the hill there. Its been hard to breathe the last week, chest is hurting, but im fine otherwise. Been a wacky week, for sure! I just hope the folks up the road dont lose their homes and ranches. Send them some good vibes if you will.

W4GPL
07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Stay safe dude.. wild fires are a bitch.

Video of a man on a tractor building his own fire line in Colorado:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=760_1373385040​ :nuts:

NQ6U
07-10-2013, 04:35 PM
We've been going through the same thing here, Adam. Nothing like in 2003 or 2007 but there's a pretty good fire burning in the mountains east of here. It burned up the camp where my ARC usually holds Field Day so I guess we're going to have to find somewhere else next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndQjh96gmxw

VE7DCW
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Yikes!! ....... that's scary stuff! ......the makings of an interface fire! Here on Vancouver Island every year we get the conditions right for these huge wildfires but we always beat the odds. Unfortunately,smoke from the fires in Colorado and even from Siberia last year made for bad air quality around here.....hope you're out of the way from this bad looking fire Adam!

:shock:

WØTKX
07-10-2013, 04:42 PM
The YL and I have been very busy clearing ground clutter after our scare earlier this year. We have a few more trees to remove that are too close to the house. Wildfires are freaking scary.

Luckily, we have been getting daily rains up in the mountains, it's good to see the monsoons again.

K7SGJ
07-10-2013, 05:10 PM
All though not always the perfect solution, I hope some of these recent wildfires will stifle these GD tree huggers, and the forest service can get back to doing some controlled burns. Clearing out years of undergrowth and burning off some of the fuel that feeds these explosive fires is the only way to manage some of these deadly and devastating fires.

Adam, I hope the folks up near you come out better than the one near us in Yarnell did.

PA5COR
07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Stay healthy and safe please...

N7YA
07-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Im a bit of a nature loving tree-hugger myself, but im also a practical person, undergrowth, pine needles and dried ruffage is what fuels these fires. Up here, its been the lack of rain. Once in a while, fire is going to happen, but it will help new growth by clearing out the floor of debris for a couple of seasons.

Trees grow back, homes can be rebuilt, and this fire will eventually die down and be brought under control. I just hope it doesnt take out the lodge and Mt Charleston hotel...did our honeymoon up there. The fire is surrounding these places right now and the crews are trying to protect the tiny community up there. The houses are chalets and cabins on steep slopes in the high forest...beautiful, but a dangerous place to build for this reason.

By no means am i trying to complain against what has already been lost in other parts of the country to much larger and more deadly fires so far. There just seems to be a lot of fires this year, a lot more heat and a lot less rain. We hit 117 the other day, im sure you guys in AZ got higher than that. It was 129 in Death Valley.

N8YX
07-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Imagine if that was 25,000 acres of marijuana instead of pine going up.

I'm SURE you'd bitch about the air quality then.

:snicker:

VE7DCW
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Im a bit of a nature loving tree-hugger myself, but im also a practical person, undergrowth, pine needles and dried ruffage is what fuels these fires. Up here, its been the lack of rain. Once in a while, fire is going to happen, but it will help new growth by clearing out the floor of debris for a couple of seasons.

Trees grow back, homes can be rebuilt, and this fire will eventually die down and be brought under control. I just hope it doesnt take out the lodge and Mt Charleston hotel...did our honeymoon up there. The fire is surrounding these places right now and the crews are trying to protect the tiny community up there. The houses are chalets and cabins on steep slopes in the high forest...beautiful, but a dangerous place to build for this reason.

By no means am i trying to complain against what has already been lost in other parts of the country to much larger and more deadly fires so far. There just seems to be a lot of fires this year, a lot more heat and a lot less rain. We hit 117 the other day, im sure you guys in AZ got higher than that. It was 129 in Death Valley.

The heat that was going on in Death Valley was also indirectly responsible for the record temperatures in our neck of the woods...... last week we hit 35 degrees Celsius! ......... we've never recorded a temperature like that ever in july! :yuck:

W2NAP
07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
The heat that was going on in Death Valley was also indirectly responsible for the record temperatures in our neck of the woods...... last week we hit 35 degrees Celsius! ......... we've never recorded a temperature like that ever in july! :yuck:

35C? thats like what 84F? thats mild.

NQ6U
07-10-2013, 07:42 PM
35C? thats like what 84F? thats mild.

35 °C = 95 °F

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Stay safe dude.. wild fires are a bitch.

Video of a man on a tractor building his own fire line in Colorado:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=760_1373385040​ :nuts:

Shit like this is an eye opener!!!

N7YA
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM

I'd be asleep....and constantly hungry.

NA4BH
07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
I hope they get it contained soon.

But tell me, everyone, this did go through your mind. I know it did........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4Y4FWWkn0

I knew it

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I hope they get it contained soon.

But tell me, everyone, this did go through your mind. I know it did........

I knew it

it did, that's one of my favorite songs!

VE7DCW
07-10-2013, 10:40 PM
35 °C = 95 °F

His eminence is correct!! ...... it's way too damn hot when most of the time cool air currents from the Pacific ocean moderates the hell out of possible wacky temperatures! :fever:

W7XF
07-10-2013, 11:25 PM

:rofl: that woulf be fun

W2NAP
07-11-2013, 01:25 AM
35 °C = 95 °F

C is so confusing.... 35 is 95 but 30 is 86...

silly C

if that 95 was a dry 95 then I must say Not bad at all.... 95 and dry is better then 86 and humid.

n2ize
07-12-2013, 09:36 PM
C is so confusing.... 35 is 95 but 30 is 86...

silly C

if that 95 was a dry 95 then I must say Not bad at all.... 95 and dry is better then 86 and humid.

Simple linear relationship. F = 1.8C + 32 where C is the temp in centigrade.

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Simple linear relationship. F = 1.8C + 32 where C is the temp in centigrade.

Damn, and I always thought it was C=5/9 x (f-32). Go figure.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
See, that type of math is what turns good kids into gangbangers.

What'd you say chump? 5/9 my ass. Now I gotta +32 your ass

K7SGJ
07-13-2013, 04:19 PM
See, that type of math is what turns good kids into gangbangers.

And you, the drive by king? Pooie

suddenseer
07-13-2013, 06:11 PM

By no means am i trying to complain against what has already been lost in other parts of the country to much larger and more deadly fires so far. There just seems to be a lot of fires this year, a lot more heat and a lot less rain. We hit 117 the other day, im sure you guys in AZ got higher than that. It was 129 in Death Valley.I get bitchy when the temp exceeds 100 deg F. I cannot fathom what you folks are going through. I hope the worse part is behind you.

Try to be well (easier said than done).

N7YA
07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
We had a solid day of mountain rain, things went from smoky, out of control and only 10% contained to clear and halfway contained. The rain really gave the crews a jump on it, even though there are still hot spots, its pretty much over now. Thanks for the well wishes, we definately had our eye on it. Its nice to breathe...somewhat...clean air again.

n2ize
07-13-2013, 11:05 PM
For the last 10 days, the mountain behind our house has been burning up. About 25,000 acres have burned in Carpenter Canyon, Trout Canyon and Kyle Canyon. The Kyle Canyon road begins at the edge of my neighborhood. So far, nearly 600 people have been evacuated and 6 structures lost up there. Over 800 firefighters are battling this fire in difficult terrain and it went down to 10% contained.

The air has been really bad here for about a week, sending some folks to the ER with breathing issues. Yesterday we had a clear, sunny day, but it looked like end times on the NW side of the valley. Ash was falling like snow on us. Here are a couple of cell pics i shot returning to the house.

In on the edge of town (as you can see by the pics) where the horse ranches are. There are a few more up the hill there. Its been hard to breathe the last week, chest is hurting, but im fine otherwise. Been a wacky week, for sure! I just hope the folks up the road dont lose their homes and ranches. Send them some good vibes if you will.

That is exactly how the sky looked around here for a few days when smoke plumes from a forest fire up in Quebec rolled into the NYC metro area and surrounding regions.

suddenseer
07-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I am happy to read that you, and your family are well. My best wishes to you, and all of the Islanders who want to escape the wrath of Momma Nature. When she is pissed off, your day will not end well.

N7YA
07-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Yep, i always respect Mama. If you do this, your day has a better chance of ending well.

NA4BH
07-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Adam, what is there to burn in the desert? Serious question. The only thing I have seen out there is rocks, big and small.

N7YA
07-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Sage, Juniper, Yucca, Palms, all sorts of vegetation, structures...mix it with hot, dry wind, it travels and consumes everything quickly. But up on the mountain, its all of the above, but with big trees and steep, narrow valleys that act as channels. Then the rain hits the parched earth, puts out the fire, then creates mudslides. These hot crews here are solid pros!

suddenseer
07-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Sage, Juniper, Yucca, Palms, all sorts of vegetation, structures...mix it with hot, dry wind, it travels and consumes everything quickly. But up on the mountain, its all of the above, but with big trees and steep, narrow valleys that act as channels. Then the rain hits the parched earth, puts out the fire, then creates mudslides. These hot crews here are solid pros!You mean like this????
http://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/manitou-mudslides-from-csp3.jpg

N7YA
07-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Yes, only up in the mountains where the roads are narrow and winding.

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Adam, what is there to burn in the desert? Serious question. The only thing I have seen out there is rocks, big and small.

When it is safe to do so, the next time I have to burn out a Cholla (jumping cactus) I'll put up a video of it. You won't believe the burn, very fast. They go up like a dried out Christmas tree. The unusual thing is, when the fire is out, what's left is a cactus without any stickers. The cactus will usually survive if watered right afterwards. You then end up with a cactus that poses no threat of injury. Wild fires in the desert can be just as nasty as the ones in the pines, sometimes worse.

N7YA
07-14-2013, 12:07 PM
We are about to hit the highway for California in a few minutes...spend the day at the beach. We need a small break from this place....often....and permanently!

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 12:51 PM
LV or IOMH?

K7SGJ
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
We are about to hit the highway for California in a few minutes...spend the day at the beach. We need a small break from this place....often....and permanently!

By the way, I read yesterday that the weather service has a beach warning in effect, it might still be. It was mostly for around the San Diego area. There were some unusually large surf and a very nasty rip tide going on. You might want to check prior to jumping in.

suddenseer
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
LV or IOMH?:rofl:What happens on the Island, stays on the Island.

N7YA
07-14-2013, 11:11 PM
LV or IOMH?

Vegas....i never announce when i take a break from the Island.

N7YA
07-14-2013, 11:14 PM
By the way, I read yesterday that the weather service has a beach warning in effect, it might still be. It was mostly for around the San Diego area. There were some unusually large surf and a very nasty rip tide going on. You might want to check prior to jumping in.

Yep, 3 - 5 feet surf with rip tides. We arent going in the water. We made it to state line and turned around and headed home...traffic was absolutely horrifying, even out in the open desert! That and the fact that i would be driving interstate on 2 hours of sleep. We came home, got some sleep, prepared better and were going to head out in the morning. The surf is for the experienced locals, we are going flotsaming!

NQ6U
07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Hey, Adam—you going to be anywhere near San Diego? If so, we should meet up.

VE7DCW
07-15-2013, 12:48 AM
:rofl:What happens on the Island, stays on the Island.

Would that be the IOMH...... or my Island .......... Vancouver Island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Island :agree:

K7SGJ
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Would that be the IOMH...... or my Island .......... Vancouver Island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Island :agree:

That's easy, it must be IOMH since nothing ever happens on VC Island. :stickpoke: I guess we need to send Max over there to get some excitement started, eh? Actually. the last time I saw that little poker, he was going crazy on his jet ski, had just plucked some good looking Canadian chick out of the water, and was giving her the ride of her life.

n2ize
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Do yourself a favor. Head east and north. Ascend from hell to heaven. :)

VE7DCW
07-16-2013, 12:07 AM
That's easy, it must be IOMH since nothing ever happens on VC Island. :stickpoke: I guess we need to send Max over there to get some excitement started, eh? Actually. the last time I saw that little poker, he was going crazy on his jet ski, had just plucked some good looking Canadian chick out of the water, and was giving her the ride of her life.

That's why the little weeeee has become my hero! :mrgreen:

kb2vxa
07-16-2013, 07:04 AM
"...and was giving her the ride of her life."

That was AFTER they got off the jet ski.

K7SGJ
07-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Makin Bacon

kb2vxa
07-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Bacon Georgia.