PDA

View Full Version : Kinda liking it here...

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Hola! I'm Chris, newly christened by the FCC as K9CCH, and I've just joined your little soirée. So far I am REALLY enjoying this place from what little I've seen. You actually have an artists area, which is right up my alley! Thanks to W7XF for introducing me, as I would have never known about it otherwise. Looking forward to meeting more of you and making new friends!

NA4BH
07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Welcome Chris. Make yourself at home.

NY4Q
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes, welcome aboard.

WØTKX
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Well hi there Chris! Or is it Bert? Ernie?

Yea, that's the ticket. You can be the Island Ernie! :mrgreen:

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Well hi there Chris! Or is it Bert? Ernie?

Yea, that's the ticket. You can be the Island Ernie! :mrgreen:

I'm Ernie...I'm the short round one, LOL!

W4GPL
07-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh no! Not another one of those gays.. :roll:

:lol: Welcome Chris!

w2amr
07-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Hello Chris, welcome.

W7XF
07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah I rescued Chris from the realms of Teh Stoopid of The Swamp. Barkeep...prepare our newest Islander one of your (in)famous concoctions....and of course, put it on Pope Carlo's tab.....:cheers:

KG4CGC
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Welcome! Name yer poison!

KG4CGC
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
No really. Name it.

PA5COR
07-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Welcom Chris, don't let the peeps here put you off ;)

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Welcome! Name yer poison!

No really. Name it.

If I were still a drinking man, I'd say "gimme a shot of crown with a bud light back."

But I quit doing that 5 years ago. Unfortunately dancing on rooftops naked and such is not considered a responsible lifestyle.

Ill take a Dr. Pepper please, and I'll drive all you drunk fools around from strip joint to strip joint!

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Welcom Chris, don't let the peeps here put you off ;)

Never, I'm feeling welcome already!

KG4CGC
07-10-2013, 04:16 PM
We do it Double Double Dr Dr Pepper Pepper!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/DIYDrPepper_6937-1024x10241_zpsd8a2630d.jpg

NQ6U
07-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Welcome, Ernie Chris!

Barkeep, put that Dr. Pepper on the Vatican's tab. I like this guy already—he's a cheap date.

W4GPL
07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Welcome, Ernie Chris!

Barkeep, put that Dr. Pepper on the Vatican's tab. I like this guy already—he's a cheap date.If this keeps up, we're going to have to implement a cover charge..

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM
If this keeps up, we're going to have to implement a cover charge..

Ill buy a round for the house if that counts.....

VE7DCW
07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Welcome, Ernie Chris!

Barkeep, put that Dr. Pepper on the Vatican's tab. I like this guy already—he's a cheap date.

The real CEO of the Vatican is proving to be quite thrifty here on the Island! I like that...... :hahano:

K7SGJ
07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Welcome Chris Ernie. Glad you found your way here, with Kevin's directions. He tells me where to go all the time. Which amazes me. He had a run from Tucson to Phoenix and ended up in Akron. Go figure.

Enjoy your stay, and don't worry about those guys following you.

K7SGJ
07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
The real CEO of the Vatican is proving to be quite thrifty here on the Island! I like that...... :hahano:

Yeah, sure. Here on the Island he is thrifty. (Spelled cheap little whinny bitch) He has so many hidden accounts all over the world, that Wall Street borrows money from him.

KG4CGC
07-10-2013, 04:56 PM
<snip>

Enjoy your stay, and don't worry about those guys following you.

Yeah. They just want to give you a DP.

VE7DCW
07-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Yeah. They just want to give you a DP.

A Displaced Person? :mrgreen:

KJ3N
07-10-2013, 05:28 PM
So far I am REALLY enjoying this place from what little I've seen.

".... is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show?"

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzm9sf5f4q1qay36m.png

:lol:

mw0uzo
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Welcome! Take a rinse in the decon booth, pick off all the nasty bits of seaweed and enjoy the sand in between your toes :)

N8YX
07-10-2013, 05:49 PM
".... is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show?"

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzm9sf5f4q1qay36m.png

:lol:
"It's twue! It's twue!"

Welcome, Chris!

(No, Da Pope still won't pay the astronomical bar tab for this joint. One more Dr. Pepper isn't going to tip The Island over...)

KB2SFH
07-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Welcome Chris, pull up some sunscreen and stay a while!!!:welcome:

KB2SFH
07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
If I were still a drinking man, I'd say "gimme a shot of crown with a bud light back."

But I quit doing that 5 years ago. Unfortunately dancing on rooftops naked and such is not considered a responsible lifestyle.

Ill take a Dr. Pepper please, and I'll drive all you drunk fools around from strip joint to strip joint!

Dancing on rooftops naked?
Can I find that on you tube?

W3WN
07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention...

Aw, prairie sh!t... Never mind, let's keep it simple:

Willkommen. Bienvenue. Welcome. C'mon in.

WX7P
07-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Welcome Chrisernie from the Corn Desert.

Glad to see you have sought refuge here from that wasteland populated by frozen bigots and religious zealot freakshow participants.

I'd like to think ham radio isn't all full of dumbass bigots and racists. We aren't that way here.

K7SGJ
07-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Glad to see you have sought refuge here from that wasteland populated by frozen bigots and religious zealot freakshow participants.

I'd like to think ham radio isn't all full of dumbass bigots and racists. We aren't that way here.

At least, most of us aren't, eh?

NA4BH
07-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Dancing on rooftops naked?
Can I find that on you tube?

You really don't want to see it, the goat is still in rehab.

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Two things....

Exactly where/what is the Corn Desert?

And secondly, I was or have been absolutely paranoid almost for a while, because of the misconception that ham radio was dominated by the "participants" you mention. It's probably why I've hesitated to attend a local club meeting. I have a fear of old crotchety men with negative attitudes and extremely right views. However, the train wreck threads over there have really opened my eyes and shown me just how wrong that misconception is. I was surprised to see how many supporters and friendly folks there were popping up.

WX7P
07-10-2013, 08:30 PM
At least, most of us aren't, eh?

Check, Rata.

Smiley face, positive spin, You're the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!

With HF of course!

WX7P
07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Two things....

Exactly where/what is the Corn Desert?

And secondly, I was or have been absolutely paranoid almost for a while, because of the misconception that ham radio was dominated by the "participants" you mention. It's probably why I've hesitated to attend a local club meeting. I have a fear of old crotchety men with negative attitudes and extremely right views. However, the train wreck threads over there have really opened my eyes and shown me just how wrong that misconception is. I was surprised to see how many supporters and friendly folks there were popping up.

Corn Desert = Illinois. I just moved here from California about 8 months ago.

You can't judge ham radio by the zed idiots or the morons on 75 meters. Right wing fools seem to like to hear themselves talk and we have our share of those in ham radio. I don't bother listening to them as I know what they're going to say pretty much all the time anyway.

As for the club scene, I think most people are pretty cool. I'm a bit .alt myself and I showed up unannounced at field day with the local club and took over their phone HF station and made a bunch of contacts. Everyone was really nice. A little shy at first, but they got over it.

I'm sure at some point someone will probably not dig something I say or do, but I can't worry about that. Politics is strictly off limits for me at club functions (unlike here) and I've found if we just stick to the radio everything is just peachy. There was one guy at the last meeting who wanted to babble about Benghazi, but the other members ignored him and we moved on to something else. They liked the fact that I did about 2/3 of their field day score so I guess that was good enough.

It's all good. I try to stay away from negative orbit, but sometimes I'm not always successful.

kb2vxa
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Welcome Chris, sunscreen, sand between tour toes, white stuff on your nose... I as usual feel a song coming on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNE7kdIDgJA
"Dancing on rooftops naked?"
Yeah, they're Blotto, not Zero Mostel.
"Can I find that on you tube?"
Click on the link.

Oh, careful with SFH Sue, she's a bit bigger than she looks in the picture and has been known to bite. (Running for cover!)

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM

I though Nebraska was the corn desert.... You know, that whole Huskers thing and all.

WX7P
07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I though Nebraska was the corn desert.... You know, that whole Huskers thing and all.

We're sort of corn desert east. Surrounded by the shit right now!

K9CCH
07-10-2013, 08:55 PM
LOL!

Bubba
07-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Yeah I rescued Chris from the realms of Teh Stoopid of The Swamp. Barkeep...prepare our newest Islander one of your (in)famous concoctions....and of course, put it on Pope Carlo's tab.....:cheers:

You’re good at that. You saved me as well. You should be called the . .... Not sure just yet.

http://www.zoominto.com/zoomapi/ZoomButt.gif

Bubba
07-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Welcome Chris,

Good to see someone from the armpit of Texas. Welcoming you from the middle of nowhere, literally. :cheers:http://www.zoominto.com/zoomapi/ZoomButt.gif

suddenseer
07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Welcome Chris! Dancing on rooftops naked?? I seem to miss all the fun. It is ok to be out here. I found out that 90% of the Islanders do not care. If you say nasty things about Ten Tec radios, you might be asked what your specific problems with that brand. Other than that, have fun. There are some Islanders who are what I would call "expert" level on technical matters. Kevin W7XF is the only Islander I have worked on the air. He does get around, no?

Have a good time here.

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I've heard that Port Arthur TX is the armpit of TX. Dunno if it's "twue".
It's close enough to Cajun land that the food could be damn good.

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Kevin W7XF is the only Islander I have worked on the air. He does get around, no?

Have a good time here.

Sucks that we've only worked each other once on the civilian transceiver (cell phone).

Let me/us know if you at least have 2m / 70cm working with a local IRLP and/or Echolink repeater.

K9CCH
07-11-2013, 11:52 AM
It's close enough to Cajun land that the food could be damn good.

Well, I'm originally from a small town called Gueydan, LA. and all my family is still there. My parents and sister now live in Broussard. I'm a bred, born, and raised Cajun.

I'm only living in Houston because its close to my momma, it's a major metro area, and I have state retirement benefits for which I can take my first retirement in 12 years at age 45.

After I take my retirement, I'm high tailing it back to Cajun Country.

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh wow. Another gummint worker, eh? Me too.

K9CCH
07-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Oh wow. Another gummint worker, eh? Me too.

Yeah, I tell cops where to go for a living.

WX7P
07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I tell cops where to go for a living.

"We don't need you to do that"

WX7P
07-11-2013, 01:06 PM

I heared the wimmin from dere is purdy fancy!

W2NAP
07-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Welcome Chris! Dancing on rooftops naked?? I seem to miss all the fun. It is ok to be out here. I found out that 90% of the Islanders do not care. If you say nasty things about Ten Tec radios, you might be asked what your specific problems with that brand. Other than that, have fun. There are some Islanders who are what I would call "expert" level on technical matters. Kevin W7XF is the only Islander I have worked on the air. He does get around, no?

Have a good time here.

ive worked most islanders on the echolink/repeater

however I did manage a 40m contact with that w7xf guy last year when he was in the nashville area.

KB2SFH
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Welcome Chris, sunscreen, sand between tour toes, white stuff on your nose... I as usual feel a song coming on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNE7kdIDgJA
"Dancing on rooftops naked?"
Yeah, they're Blotto, not Zero Mostel.
"Can I find that on you tube?"
Click on the link.

Oh, careful with SFH Sue, she's a bit bigger than she looks in the picture and has been known to bite. (Running for cover!)

shush you!!!! :hittingself::hittingself:

kb2vxa
07-11-2013, 10:48 PM
"I heared the wimmin from dere is purdy fancy!"
Oh dayum, it's Janis Joplin and her famous bottle of Southern Comfort.

"shush you!!!!"
Hey, I didn't call you P...............Hippy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1_F9zEF7o

K9CCH
07-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I seem to remember some kind of documentary style blip about how Port Arthur doesn't really claim her. And I think the only real thing they have is some small statue by a remote library or something.

K7SGJ
07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I seem to remember some kind of documentary style blip about how Port Arthur doesn't really claim her. And I think the only real thing they have is some small statue by a remote library or something.

Actually, it's a mobile library bus, and the statue is really a hood ornament.

KG4CGC
07-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Actually, it's a mobile library bus, and the statue is really a hood ornament.

He's right. I've seen pictures.

n2ize
07-12-2013, 01:10 PM

You can't judge ham radio by the zed idiots or the morons on 75 meters.

True, but there are also some great people on 75. Have had some of my best radio conversations on 75 meters. Of course I was operating on the AM mode in the unofficial so called "AM Window", although we can and do operate AM pretty much anywhere phone is permitted. Some of the AM'ers can be a but cliquish but are generally always welcoming to newcomers. On the other hand there are some SSB groups that will pretty much ignore you unless you have been a part of their clique for eons. Then again I have also had some great SSB chats on 75. I guess jerks will be jerks no matter where they go and decent people will be decent wherever they go.

n2ize
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Hola! I'm Chris, newly christened by the FCC as K9CCH, and I've just joined your little soirée. So far I am REALLY enjoying this place from what little I've seen. You actually have an artists area, which is right up my alley! Thanks to W7XF for introducing me, as I would have never known about it otherwise. Looking forward to meeting more of you and making new friends!

Welcome aboard. Maybe we can talk via the radio one of these days. Either direct on HF or maybe through the vhf repeaters vi echolink or ISLP or whatever they call it. :)

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Oh GAWD, 75M AM has been a prime source of entertainment since the mid 60s when the AM Gangstas showed up. If you're not crazy to begin with (in that case you'll be welcomed immediately) you soon will be and will pick up their language quickly enough, Timtronese. I'm most familiar with the Northeast Division having met a few at 'festers and other antisocial gatherings where if you need a manual for just about any radio gear look up Pete WA2CWA aka Manual Man. http://www.manualman.com/ (Rather unabashed promo, eh?) Hang out there long enough and you'll learn about the piss weak little mobile, what pissolene is and how to build your very own Slimotron (pron. slime-o-tron). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3LoATtY2o

WØTKX
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM
We have some 75m AM folks here, but they are not very enlightened. I say hey from time to time, but the blatant racism and constant talk about guns is either disgusting or boring... frequently both. My favorite AM ragchews have been on 10m and 6m when open.

Now, Timtron, from what little bit I've heard , is hilarious.
He reminds me a quite a lot of Headly O' Possum, AE4FB.

n2ize
07-12-2013, 06:57 PM
We have some 75m AM folks here, but they are not very enlightened. I say hey from time to time, but the blatant racism and constant talk about guns is either disgusting or boring... frequently both. My favorite AM ragchews have been on 10m and 6m when open.

Now, Timtron, from what little bit I've heard , is hilarious.
He reminds me a quite a lot of Headly O' Possum, AE4FB.

hmmm... I thinking more of the New England AM Gangsta's of which Timtron reigns supreme. Most of the time they talk radio and tech stuff. Either about building up 813 rigs and stuff like that to modding out older radios so they produce that hi fi New England AM sound. Although nowadays you'll also hear alot of talk about solid state stuff, class E rigs, etc. Now and then you'll get some guys who are into talking about guns and/or an occasional jerk who will spew racist stereotypes. I was really disheartened one night when I heard an old time AM'er who I had great admiration for, long before I got my ham ticket, on the air one night spewing all sorts of racial stereoptypes and condemnations, stereotyping and putting down young people (basically claiming all today's young people were a bunch of lazy, disrespectful, dope addicts with no morals or interests in anything except getting laid, stealing, and shooting dope) while at the same time glamourizing the generations of the 1930's, 40, and 50's, as if nobody during those days did any of those things that he was claiming all of todays young people do. I could have gotten on the air right then and their and challenged him but I thought better of it, figuring it was a combination of old age, confusion, and medication doing the talking.

Fortunately most of the AM stuff I hear is usually void of that kind of stuff and mostly tech talk. But occaisionally a nutter or two will jump in. Guess thats true everywhere.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome aboard. Maybe we can talk via the radio one of these days. Either direct on HF or maybe through the vhf repeaters vi echolink or ISLP or whatever they call it. :)

Echolink rules, what's your cellphone number? Same thing

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Mines #7, I just broke #6 and 86ed it. Or would it be more like a sleep-bed number?

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Mines #7, I just broke #6 and 86ed it. Or would it be more like a sleep-bed number?

I don't understand. Did you break wind? If so, open a window.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 08:04 PM

While I'll agree that any "radio" linked via the Internet really isn't true 'radio', for us little folks its the only way to get out of our neighborhood until we move up a few notches.

I still have great aspirations of DX'ing from a hill top, with nothing more than a radio in the back of my Jeep and a home brew antenna strapped to the tailgate - but until I get to that point, IRLP will have to suffice.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 08:08 PM
While I'll agree that any "radio" linked via the Internet really isn't true 'radio', for us little folks its the only way to get out of our neighborhood until we move up a few notches.

I still have great aspirations of DX'ing from a hill top, with nothing more than a radio in the back of my Jeep and a home brew antenna strapped to the tailgate - but until I get to that point, IRLP will have to suffice.

Understand, I have Echolinked before. I would do it now but the frickin router/computer/computer ignorance keeps me from doing it. Poking the bear

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 08:15 PM

Around here, everything is real enough radio. We don't give a fu(k like the other place. Besides, we'll find a whole bunch of other shit to beat you up about.

If you have your spare tire on the back, make a bracket to accommodate the antenna. If not, I'm sure the tailgate will work, if not, there's always the tailpipe.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 08:21 PM
I've got a Diamond K400S trunk mount that I'll be putting on the front hood for my VHF/UHF radio.

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I've got a Diamond K400S trunk mount that I'll be putting on the front hood for my VHF/UHF radio.

Be careful, you'll put yer eye out.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Be careful, you'll put yer eye out.

I hate that damned movie! Do you know how many Christmas' I've spent in dispatch watching that movie on infinite re-run loops on TBS???

And no, we couldn't change the channel. It was either that or Sham Wow infommercials.

Bubba
07-12-2013, 08:40 PM

How do you use it, I want to give it a try.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Echolink?

Bubba
07-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Echolink?

No Godfather .... My fucking penis, how do you use it ?? :lol?:

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself, my fault.. Yes sir, the echolink , how may I be educated on such the system so that I may call you.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 08:53 PM
, how may I be educated on such the system so that I may call you.

You need one of these first.

Bubba
07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
You need one of these first.

WTF, where the hell do you get one of those ? China...

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
My grandmother still has a yellow one hanging on her wall. Its got a 10'ft cord on it.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Well fsck me. They have pills for that.

I am not too well schooled in Echolink, but you download it to your computer and you start talking via computer. If you have a microphone, you're half way to EXTRA. LOL

Maybe some one here can school you as to the usage of the product. I used it right after it started to be the "thing". But I didn't inhale. To me, it's a great concept, but it's not for me. It's not radio to me.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 09:01 PM
My grandmother still has a yellow one hanging on her wall. Its got a 10'ft cord on it.

You're probably too young to remember the "BEEP LINE". Anybody?

Bubba
07-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Well fsck me. They have pills for that.

I am not too well schooled in Echolink, but you download it to your computer and you start talking via computer. If you have a microphone, you're half way to EXTRA. LOL

Maybe some one here can school you as to the usage of the product. I used it right after it started to be the "thing". But I didn't inhale. To me, it's a great concept, but it's not for me. It's not radio to me.

So its sort of like this.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 09:05 PM
You're probably too young to remember the "BEEP LINE". Anybody?

If that is whats referred to as a 'party line', yes, they were slightly before my time. I was born in 80.

Bubba
07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
We have a party line system again, its called PRISM. Every call is a party call, just that its not you doing the partying...

That yellow phone is probably worth a lot of money on ebay.

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
The "Beep Line" was when you rotary dialed 1711 (if I remember correctly), the line went into an immediate beep (with about a one second silence in between beeps), you could talk to other people. It was high-tech communication.

WØTKX
07-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Telephone chat room(s). Giggle. I preferred the BBS kind. ;)

A lot of hams mess with QSONet (http://qsonet.com/programs.html). $39 yearly subscription after 90 day trial.

The website for Echolink FAQ page is here, there are Windows, iPhone, and Android versions. (http://www.echolink.org/faq.htm)

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 09:59 PM
My "Day" was mIRC. If you had an IBM 80/86 computer, and an mIRC program, you was CHATTIN now!

Bubba
07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Telephone chat room(s). Giggle. I preferred the BBS kind. ;)

A lot of hams mess with QSONet (http://qsonet.com/programs.html). $39 yearly subscription after 90 day trial.

The website for Echolink FAQ page is here, there are Windows, iPhone, and Android versions. (http://www.echolink.org/faq.htm)

Is that qsonet just an internet thing. Thats not real is it ?

suddenseer
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Indeed, the internet is not real.

K9CCH
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Indeed, the internet is not real.

Yes it is.

WØTKX
07-13-2013, 01:54 AM
I did lotsa IRC for a long time. Preferred pIRC when it showed up.
Scripts of ASCII pics, WinAmp for music and other audio needs.

WX7P
07-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm not as cool as u guys.

I used to hang at the ham radio forum on compuserve, which was usually a political pie fight, especially during the 92 election. Don Stoner W6TNS (sk) and I used to get into it all the time.