PDA

View Full Version : Smog eating pavement

PA5COR
07-10-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/10/1222462/-Smog-eating-pavement-can-reduce-air-pollution-by-up-to-45
Dutch scientists have released a study on photocatalytic pavement (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/smog-eating-pavement-cut-pollution_n_3563472.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009 ), otherwise known as "smog-eating pavement", that shows that pavement treated with titanium oxide can actually reduce pollution by up to 45%:

Dutch scientists are heralding the results of an experimental pavement they say was able to cut air pollution by wide margins. The news was published online in June after researchers working for the Eindhoven University of Technology spent years studying smog-eating pavement used on a city block in Hengelo, Netherlands.
According to the paper titled "Full scale demonstration of air-purifying pavement," the block with the special pavement reduced nitrogen oxide air pollution up to 45 percent in some ideal weather conditions, resulting in an average reduction of 19 percent over a day.
The "photocatalytic" pavement used in Hengelo had been sprayed with titanium oxide (TiO2), a chemical that can take air pollutants, such as nitrogen oxide, and convert them into less-dangerous chemicals, such as nitrates, the paper's authors report.
There is at least one example of smog-eating pavement that has already been installed in the United States...in Chicago (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jimr_sjccgkwV10ACBHQK_rN3UOQ?docId=CNG.57dfc 375f7dcefd8a62c482f0e9fc054.3e1). Obviously, we'd need mass installment of smog-eating pavement in urbanized areas all over the world in order to be able to properly determine whether or not smog-eating pavement has the ability to neutralize or reverse global warming, however, the fact that smog-eating pavement can significantly reduce the amount of air pollution is certainly worth installing smog-eating pavement all over this country.

KG4CGC
07-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Didn't Italy once try to sue the US claiming that our pollution was rapidly eroding their old buildings and sculptures?

PA5COR
07-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Could be, new for me, but knowing the Italians, if they think they can make a buck....;)

K7SGJ
07-10-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm always a little Lira of the Italians.

PA5COR
07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
The Italians adopted the Euro and did away with their monopoly money ;)

K7SGJ
07-10-2013, 08:02 PM

I know. It was just harder to pun. Now that you have corrected me, I hope euro-verit. :stickpoke:

WØTKX
07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Back OT. What are the ideal weather conditions? I'm expecting hot, due to the fact that it speeds up chemical reactions. What about the humidity? I'm guilty of skimming this article. However, I work in the transportation industry, in a region that is prone to high ozonoe and smog in the summer months.

I find the premise intriguing.

kb2vxa
07-10-2013, 09:16 PM
"...sprayed with titanium oxide (TiO2)..."

Who's mistake was that? The chemical symbol for titanium oxide is TiO, titanium dioxide (titanium white pigment) is TiO2. That raises the question what are we talking about here? I found much about various uses (many new) for titanium dioxide (photocatalytic?) but nothing on titanium oxide.....hmmm.

WØTKX
07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Yea, I'm thinking the dioxide. More reactionary. ;)

Isn't titanium oxide more like a paint or coating? :chin:

PA5COR
07-11-2013, 04:23 AM
Titanium oxide is used in white paints but also in make up stuff, used on the asphalt it needs light to react with the smog particles and re arrange the molucules to something less obnoxious.
Andd it is doing it on the spot where the smog is created ;)

kb2vxa
07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
No Cor, titanium dioxide is white pigment, titanium oxide is a bronze colored cubic crystalline powder.

PA5COR
07-12-2013, 04:17 AM
I stand corrected ;)

n2ize
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Italy rules !! But every now and then they do some dumb things. I think the once tried to press charges against a group of Geologists for not predicting an earthquake.

NQ6U
07-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Italy rules !! But every now and then they do some dumb things. I think the once tried to press charges against a group of Geologists for not predicting an earthquake.

The state not only pressed charges against the geologists, they were brought to trial and convicted (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=italian-scientists-get). They got six years.

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I predict that it's not a matter of if but WHEN Mount Vesuvio will blow and Napoli will go down in history with Pompeii and Herculaneum. When the ground rumbles, RUN LIKE HELL and don't look back! Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt but YOU? Have you ever heard of Vesuvianite?

PA5COR
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
The city there is buying up property near the volcano and demolishing it preventing it from being inhabited again, to make a larger people free zone around the volcano.

Problem is how to evacuate a large city in quick succession if the proverbial lava hits the ceiling...
City roads are relative narrow there, problems most city's have build over the years and centuries.
Annyone living near such volcano's knows the risks, and should be prepared or move.

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGHwGkFIFw

NA4BH
07-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Italy rules !!

BUNGA BUNGA

kb2vxa
07-13-2013, 05:14 PM
EH? Where did cowa go?