PDA

View Full Version : Free ham clip art for fun and non-profit

Jeff K1NSS
07-09-2013, 05:37 PM
99149915991699179918 and more!

Choose from an unusual assortment of ham clip art growing by the day, FREE for non-commercial use. For family-friendly personal sites, QSLs, social posting, club sites, newsletters and sundry ham monkey business. Please don't alter beyond sizing but do have fun with our compliments - no need to ask for permission or add credit line. All rights reserved. Cheers from Dashtoons' ink-stained OM Jeff K1NSS. http://www.dashtoons.com/dash!clipsl.html

NQ6U
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I know someone (Tom, W5COM) who's Toyota pickup rivals that VW bus when it comes to the number of antennas installed.

http://www.dashtoons.com/images/Pierced%20van.gif

No piercings, however.

Jeff K1NSS
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
I know someone (Tom, W5COM) who's Toyota pickup rivals that VW bus when it comes to the number of antennas installed.

No piercings, however.

Hey Carl! RR, though I would submit that mobile antennas ARE piercings. Beyond earrings and single Tarheel or the odd Squalo (remember them?) I enjoy, in an uncomprending way, the increasing incidence of this behavior.

NQ6U
07-10-2013, 02:25 AM
I will try to get a picture of his truck the next time I get a chance. I don't know why I haven't done so yet, seeing how when locals find out I'm a ham, very commonly the first thing they ask me about is "that guy in the old white pickup covered with antennas."

Jeff K1NSS
07-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I will try to get a picture of his truck the next time I get a chance. I don't know why I haven't done so yet, seeing how when locals find out I'm a ham, very commonly the first thing they ask me about is "that guy in the old white pickup covered with antennas."

That be cool. Would like to run it for fun on the site.

W3WN
07-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Very nice!

BTW, did the newsletter come through all right last night? I don't usually send out a 4 MB file, so I'm concerned that some people may not have gotten it.

(Sorry that the masthead got pushed to Page 2, but that photo... it was compulsion, I just HAD to use it on the cover)

Jeff K1NSS
07-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Very nice!

BTW, did the newsletter come through all right last night?

TNX! Came through fine Ron, looks FB! I like that format with the cover page big graphic and simple text.

KG4CGC
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Neat stuff. The bus reminded me of 6 Land Pat's future towncar.

W3WN
07-10-2013, 06:41 PM
TNX! Came through fine Ron, looks FB! I like that format with the cover page big graphic and simple text.I do too, BUT, you have to have the right photo to pull it off each month.

That picture... I had to.

What I think I'll do, going forward, is use that style when I have a photo that can take advantage of it... and go back to the 'regular' flavor (what I've used until now) when I don't.

kb2vxa
07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
"Beyond earrings and single Tarheel or the odd Squalo (remember them?)..."

Here's one to remember, the Saturn 6.

Jeff K1NSS
07-12-2013, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE=W3WN;548501]I do too, BUT, you have to have the right photo to pull it off each month.

QUOTE]

Yup. Ya know, it might be useful to reach out to club shutterbugs for good cover shots, and perhaps enlist one more more to stage a brief photo workshop at the next meeting, to let the general membership know specifically what you're looking for. Maybe get folks to think beyond the traditional shack shots, like macro shots of gear and accessories, homebrew projects on the workbench, lotta opportunity for creativity and group involvement. Rather than the best photographers dominating , be cool if they could Elmer some of the more casual shootists and get more ops involved in the club publications.

Jeff K1NSS
07-12-2013, 02:14 AM
"Beyond earrings and single Tarheel or the odd Squalo (remember them?)..."

Here's one to remember, the Saturn 6.

Hi Warren! Yes I do remember the Saturn 6. That and the Squalo were all the rage in my 60s ham club days. Only VHF I did was yakking on a Twoer with my buddies and a few other locals. Think I had a little yagi on a stick. By then I was getting more into music and guitar and HF DXing was on slow fade. VHF kids were a funny breed. Ones I knew were more technically savvy than me, but tended to be more clubby and social in a vaguely CB kind of way. They were code-averse and functioned in a parallel universe from my gang of odder duck, harder core HFers. Of them, I was the only one who really made an effort on CW DX and contesting.

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
"VHF kids were a funny breed."
Not really, nerds are cool in their own way, like Islanders we speak in Radioese. Back in the 60s I was on CB with the young nerds being technically savvy while the rest were dumb as a box of rocks. We had more fun building and experimenting than talking, you could say we were QRP hams. I wasn't entirely unfamiliar with Amateur Radio either, I was friends with most of the local hams because I had cajones, whenever I saw other than a TV antenna I went up to the door and introduced myself. One thing led to another and this was the result, pardon the odd coloration of a picture taken by a friend ca. 1972 of my basement Love Shack zeroed in on the electronics. Yeah, a pair of 6146s put out a little more than 5W. (;->)

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh I just knew it, I KNEW IT, sooner or later I'd find her and here she is!

n2ize
07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
"VHF kids were a funny breed."
Not really, nerds are cool in their own way, like Islanders we speak in Radioese. Back in the 60s I was on CB with the young nerds being technically savvy while the rest were dumb as a box of rocks. We had more fun building and experimenting than talking, you could say we were QRP hams. I wasn't entirely unfamiliar with Amateur Radio either, I was friends with most of the local hams because I had cajones, whenever I saw other than a TV antenna I went up to the door and introduced myself. One thing led to another and this was the result, pardon the odd coloration of a picture taken by a friend ca. 1972 of my basement Love Shack zeroed in on the electronics. Yeah, a pair of 6146s put out a little more than 5W. (;->)

Why is it that people who are technically saavy are referred to , or refer to themselves as "nerds" or "geeks" ? People who are musicians don;t refer to themselves as "nerds", "geeks", etc. Have you ever heard of a "guitar geek" or a "clarinet nerd" or a "drum nerd/geek" ? People who are knowledgeable about art or literature, philosophy etc. aren't "nerds" or "geeks". Yet, the second one is above average in their knowledge or interest in the technologies (particularly computer technology) or the sciences they are indeed "nerds" or "geeks" or both interchangeably. Why is that ? Personally I detest those terms "nerd" "geek" as to me they imply a person who is weird, awkward, socially inept and/or freakish and who rarely bathes , showers, or uses soap. Clearly outside of ham radio the terms "nerd" or "geek" should never be used. :lol::lol:

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Ham: A person who is weird, awkward, socially inept and/or freakish and who rarely bathes , showers, or uses soap.

Geek: A circus or carnival side show freak that bites the heads off chickens and small animals; Ozzy Osborn.

Clearly outside the circus the term "ham" should never be used.

NEEERRRDS!!!!!!!!

Jeff K1NSS
07-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Better or worse, usage rules over time and geek has leached into a word for nerd. For the sake of our hobby's survival, I appreciate the efforts to sanitize amateur radio's image but I'm fatalistic about trying to put lipstick on hams. Yeah, yeah, there's the uber hams with their sailboats and airplanes and physical fitness and all the other highlife trappings, but the rest of us, uh, regular hams tend to be tubby and functionally looney with more than a touch of the packrat. And then there's a minority of feral anti-ubers who make up the balance. Hygiene slurs aside, traditional ham nerdity has morphed into a bit of a stylish badge of honor.

Not as stylish as my Golden Ham Radio Badge, but pretty darn close.

Jeff K1NSS
07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
And another thing.

Here's my latest custom QSL design for a player of chess and fancy-dancy CW.

NQ6U
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Jeff, I like the one you did for the Carolina Contester's Cadre of Power, CCCP. Reminds me of something I painted on the doors of a friend's totally rusted-out Toyota we dubbed "The Toyota Corroda." This was back in the early Eighties, before the fall of the USSR. His last name was Dolgushkin, so I painted a sickle with an open end wrench where the hammer would normally go. Underneath, I lettered "CCCP Racing Team."

It got him a lot of looks.

K7SGJ
07-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Jeff, I like the one you did for the Carolina Contester's Cadre of Power, CCCP. Reminds me of something I painted on the doors of a friend's totally rusted-out Toyota we dubbed "The Toyota Corroda." This was back in the early Eighties, before the fall of the USSR. His last name was Dolgushkin, so I painted a sickle with an open end wrench where the hammer would normally go. Underneath, I lettered "CCCP Racing Team."

It got him a lot of looks.

McCarthy just did a couple of laps in his grave. And I don't mean Charlie.

kb2vxa
07-17-2013, 07:22 AM
"Yeah, yeah, there's the uber hams with their sailboats and airplanes and physical fitness and all the other highlife trappings..."
Substitute a computer for a rig and you have my landlord. Hmmm, what was that "if you can afford the yacht you can afford satellite" mode that QRMed and pissed everybody off? Did it finally go away or did the rest of us give up on it?

"And then there's a minority of feral anti-ubers who make up the balance."
And what about grumpy old bastids?

"...traditional ham nerdity has morphed into a bit of a stylish badge of honor."
A LOOONG time ago! Before there were nerds or geeks there were hams, that's what commercial ops called us. We're finally rid of those snooty uber-ops chasing us off THEIR frequencies and CW only stations forcing the FCC to make us learn Mose code, we're no longer second class citizens of the bands, we're FREE, FREE AT LAST! Yeah, I too had a dream.

"Jeff, I like the one you did for the Carolina Contester's Cadre of Power, CCCP."
That was funny enough BUT...
"His last name was Dolgushkin, so I painted a sickle with an open end wrench where the hammer would normally go. Underneath, I lettered "CCCP Racing Team."
OH GAWD! You should warn us before posting shit like that, I'm getting tired of cleaning spray off the monitor!

"It got him a lot of looks."
Of that there is little doubt.

NQ6U
07-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Finally got a chance to take a picture of Tom W5COM's truck.:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/photo-1.jpg

WØTKX
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Niiiice, now post a pic of the interior. ;)

WX7P
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM

I'll take the license plate. Don't have an out of district "5" call for California.

W3WN
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Interesting. And disturbing.

Why?

Jeff K1NSS
07-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Well, don't see any on the hood. That's a place too far in my book. And the density on the cap roof looks to be within some vague standard deviation.

K7SGJ
07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I wonder how directional his signal is with all the reflectors and directors?

kb2vxa
07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
"Well, don't see any on the hood."

I can't see the hood. (;->) That comes from parking under an antenna tree, antenna seeds fall on your truck and grow.

K7SGJ
07-27-2013, 10:47 PM
"Well, don't see any on the hood."

I can't see the hood. (;->) That comes from parking under an antenna tree, antenna seeds fall on your truck and grow.

I wonder what they use for fertilizer? Oh......wait.......they're hams.........never mind.

NQ6U
08-12-2013, 11:46 AM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/e4e27fc0b9e70130e3b1001dd8b71c47

K9CCH
08-12-2013, 11:53 AM

next time I'm at my moms ill have to snap a photo of her neighbors truck. It's just like this except its a full size dodge 3/4 ton, and there's a few more antennas.

n2ize
08-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Interesting. And disturbing.

Why?

We all know why. hen you see too many antennas on a vehicle be very wary of it's owner. Very likely a strong weirdness factor.

NQ6U
08-13-2013, 01:06 AM
We all know why. hen you see too many antennas on a vehicle be very wary of it's owner. Very likely a strong weirdness factor.

Tom is not any weirder than any other ham I know. In fact, he's a nice guy who has been very generous with both time and hardware to me and a lot of other hams around the area. He just likes playing with antennas is all; the assortment on his truck changes continually as he tries out one new thing or another.

K6CPO
08-25-2013, 10:28 PM

http://www.dashtoons.com/images/Pierced%20van.gif

No piercings, however.

I know him too and his truck was the first thing I thought as well.

NQ6U
08-26-2013, 01:08 AM
I know him too and his truck was the first thing I thought as well.

Tom's a hoot, isn't he? Great guy, very generous and funny.

K6CPO
08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Tom's a hoot, isn't he? Great guy, very generous and funny.

He is. We work the same VE team together so I see him all the time.