PDA

View Full Version : It's a Ford

N8GAV
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
This week local air port is having a 1929 Ford Tri-motor in for 3 days. Have to get over and take some pictures and post them.

NQ6U
07-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Cool old plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJlOrmQ2vRA

I'd rather have a DC-3, though.

WØTKX
07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I got a ride in one, long ago at Oshkosh. Neat plane indeed.

N8YX
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Those old planes are neat. Bless the people who keep 'em flying.

suddenseer
07-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Cool old plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJlOrmQ2vRA

I'd rather have a DC-3, though.I'd love to fly in a Ford tri motor. A sparky old DC-3 killed Ricky Nelson, and his band, and the pilots. The trace of cocaine in musician's blood had nothing to do with the crash. No DC-3's for me.

K7SGJ
07-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I'd love to fly in a Ford tri motor. A sparky old DC-3 killed Ricky Nelson, and his band, and the pilots. The trace of cocaine in musician's blood had nothing to do with the crash. No DC-3's for me.

You haven't lived until you've flown in a goony bird. There are still many of them still in service around the world. Although not a pressurized cabin, you get used to your ears popping on take off and landing. The radial engines, although loud, are hard working and powerful as all hell. There is nothing like flying in one of those fire breathing tail draggers.

W3WN
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
A gooney bird? Really?

6 meter AM, or 2 meter?

WØTKX
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I've had three rides in DC-3's over the years, and was allowed at the copilot controls the last time. Biggest plane I ever got to try like that. It responds to the controls very well. I was shocked at how nice it felt.

kb2vxa
07-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Blame it on the DC-3, but they weren't called the Stoned Canyon Band for nothing. If you think basing didn't cause an explosion just ask Richard "The Flame" Pryor.

"I was shocked at how nice it felt."
Planes, vintage planes in particular are affectionately called she, you may want to rephrase that.

w2amr
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
A gooney bird? Really?

6 meter AM, or 2 meter?
And What holds the wings on?

WØTKX
07-09-2013, 11:28 PM
DC-3 is the biggest plane I ever got control time with. The coolest was the Beechcraft Musketeer. That was amazingly responsive. That being said, the Cessna 152 was so freaking friendly, it was like a good doggie. Or a VW Bug.

One of my biggest regrets is not getting my pilots license. Flying is orgasmic.

NQ6U
07-10-2013, 02:31 AM
DC-3 is the biggest plane I ever got control time with. The coolest was the Beechcraft Musketeer. That was amazingly responsive. That being said, the Cessna 152 was so freaking friendly, it was like a good doggie. Or a VW Bug.

One of my biggest regrets is not getting my pilots license. Flying is orgasmic.

The 152 has a pretty nasty approach-to-landing stall, though. Wants to go right into a clockwise spin if you don't back off on the stick and give it lots of left rudder immediately.

I took the 152 into SFO because it had the necessary radios and transponder that the usual plane I few, a Taylorcraft L2 lacked. That thing would absolutely refuse to stall. You could put the throttle to idle and pull back on the stick (it had a real stick, too, not a fscking yoke) and it would just kind of mush and begin to lose altitude but you'd never get into a stall-spin situation. It was a taildragger, though, so you could ground loop it if you weren't careful.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/L-2.jpg