PDA

View Full Version : A $300 TS-940S

W3WN
07-08-2013, 09:34 AM
So I get a call from W3WH on Saturday (in the midst of the family reunion, of course). Amongst other things, he tells me that a local-to-him ham in Washington PA was in the midst of selling off some equipment.

Did I think that KB3ERQ would like a TS-940S? With filters, speaker, PS, etc... for $300?

Long & short of it, I got them talking, and Ben took the radio home on Sunday (yea!)

He should be putting in on the air shortly. At the moment, his only HF antenna is a 10 meter Ringo, but that's a start...

N8YX
07-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Make darn sure the PSU and PA cooling fans are clean, turn freely...then place a drop of 3-in-1 or similar light lubricating oil into their lubrication points as noted in the Kenwood service manual.

Else you're going to be looking at an impressive paperweight in the future. The pass transistors are being run close to their maximum ratings as-is in that design and if the airflow is choked off they'll overheat and fail - taking lots of unobtanium things with them.

WØTKX
07-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I've got friends who love those rigs, and they are nice. Those who love 'em, stock "boneyard" parts for them.

The TS-850 is approaching that status. Still don't want to sell mine, but... :chin:

wa6mhz
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I have an 830S, a 930S, but no 940S yet. Someday.....And that is about the price I want to pay for one!

W3WN
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Make darn sure the PSU and PA cooling fans are clean, turn freely...then place a drop of 3-in-1 or similar light lubricating oil into their lubrication points as noted in the Kenwood service manual.

Else you're going to be looking at an impressive paperweight in the future. The pass transistors are being run close to their maximum ratings as-is in that design and if the airflow is choked off they'll overheat and fail - taking lots of unobtanium things with them.Ben's been monitoring the forums... although I don't think he's posted yet. Still, I'll make sure he's aware of this.

N8YX
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I have an 830S, a 930S, but no 940S yet. Someday.....And that is about the price I want to pay for one!
You need a '530SP before the '940. They're a little rare.

And a TS-830M (yes, 'M'). AM transceive included for the Euro market.

K7SGJ
07-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Else you're going to be looking at an impressive paperweight in the future. The pass transistors are being run close to their maximum ratings as-is in that design and if the airflow is choked off they'll overheat and fail - taking lots of unobtanium things with them.

I'll tell you something about 3 in 1 oil, Fred. Unless the formulation has changed over the years, with time and temperature, it tends to leave a gummy, varnish like residue. And that really plays hell with fan bearings and other moving parts. For quite some time, I've been using a very good quality synthetic clock oil that lasts a long, long time, and doesn't break down with heat. I've also used it in commercial applications with equipment in some very harsh environments without any issues. The stuff isn't very expensive (well, it is more than 3n1) and a little goes a long way. I just apply it with a small syringe/needle I get at the vet supply. Like I said, it might be that 3n1 has changed it's formulation, but back when I use to work on sewing machines, that stuff really played hell on the bearings and races. Just an FYI

KG4CGC
07-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Lithium grease? Aerosol type. Dismount the fans to apply.

NQ6U
07-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Lithium grease? Aerosol type. Dismount the fans to apply.

Helps with the fan's depression as well.

N8YX
07-09-2013, 04:43 AM
I'll tell you something about 3 in 1 oil, Fred. Unless the formulation has changed over the years, with time and temperature, it tends to leave a gummy, varnish like residue. And that really plays hell with fan bearings and other moving parts. For quite some time, I've been using a very good quality synthetic clock oil that lasts a long, long time, and doesn't break down with heat. I've also used it in commercial applications with equipment in some very harsh environments without any issues. The stuff isn't very expensive (well, it is more than 3n1) and a little goes a long way. I just apply it with a small syringe/needle I get at the vet supply. Like I said, it might be that 3n1 has changed it's formulation, but back when I use to work on sewing machines, that stuff really played hell on the bearings and races. Just an FYI

Interesting, Eddie. Have a link to the product you're talking about?

WØTKX
07-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Maybe this stuff? :dunno:

http://www.amazon.com/Bearings-synthetic-Provides-Lubrication-Corrosion/dp/B005U6LD3M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_3

K7SGJ
07-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Interesting, Eddie. Have a link to the product you're talking about?

Maybe this stuff? :dunno:

http://www.amazon.com/Bearings-synthetic-Provides-Lubrication-Corrosion/dp/B005U6LD3M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_3

Never tried the liquid bearings, it may be okay for this application.

What I have used for many years is call La Perle clock oil. They also made a lighter weight watch oil. I tried to get a link from two of the places I deal with for my clock parts and supplies, but couldn't find the La Perle. I did find some older price sheets, and over the years, the stuff really went up in price, big time, probably due to demand and lack of supply. I did some looking around, and it appears the stuff is no longer available or not being made any more. That is a little distressing, as that is about the only stuff I really depend on. There are other synthetic oils around, but most I never tried.

So I did some further research, and found some stuff called Nano Oil. Some of the top notch clock shops have switched over to this for a lubricant for timepieces from delicate watches to turret clocks. It comes in three weights 5, 10, and 85. The 85 for turret and mainspring use, the 5 for smaller applications, and the 10 for clocks. The 10 is what I'm going to give a try. I will probably order all three since I have applications from delicate stuff to larger bushing/bearings, and others that I would use the 85 on.

Again, this is a fairly new product, and I haven't tried it yet. I hope it will give the results I desire. If not, there are other synthetic clock oils on the market. I have tried several with good results. They are, by most standards, quite expensive, but again, a little goes a long way. They include Moebius and Nye, which I use as an adjunct to the La Perle. Like most "clock" type people, I'm always looking for a better lubrication product. The Nye and Moebius can be found at Timesavers or Merritts Clock. Search on oils. Etsyntha is another good one I have used, but very pricy. Since these oils and lubes are excellent for all styles of precision timepieces, keep in mind that they are good choices for gears, shafts, and other mechanical apps in radio. Most clock bushings are brass or bronze, as are many of the gears and such in the equipment we use.

I hope this info helps.

http://www.nano-oil.com/

http://www.nano-oil.com/Products.html

kb2vxa
07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
"Maybe this stuff?"
Soitenly NOT, Moe! A ripoff I'm not about for a New York minute! When it comes to syn oil why pay 7 bux for ONE ounce when you can get a whole quart for $3 more?
"I hope this info helps."
Mork wants $43 for an ounce of Nano Nano... ORK! It looks like some entrepreneurs are filling 32 little plastic bottles from one big one... MUAHAHAHAAAaaa.

W3WN
07-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Well, all is not well. Ahem. But I don't think this is a radio problem.

Ben tried to listen to the Breezeshooter's Net last night (28.480 MHz 9 PM ET -- 0100 Z right now, 0200 during Standard time). Couldn't hear a thing. He then had a nearby ham listen, the ham could hear him, but he couldn't hear anything.

Now, on further investigation, Ben told me that he'd had a similar issue (NOW he tells me) with the 10 M rig I'd loaned him a few months ago. AND with the Omni V that Bill W3WH used to own... and I think Fred knows how well that rig receives.

So, it sounds to me like it's either a coax issue, or an antenna issue. The antenna is an old AR10 Ringo, and based on some observations Ben relayed to me this morning, well, that's my primary suspect. So, Ben's looking into borrowing the club's HF6V. I know the Butternut is working well -- we used it at Field Day, and I got nominated to (re)assemble it. Despite that, it worked quite well.

And just to be safe, I'm going to dig up a run of coax to loan him.

WØTKX
07-09-2013, 01:09 PM
And a 10 meter dipole for a "quickie".

Maybe deployed as a vertical, or a center fed "L"?

kb2vxa
07-09-2013, 03:18 PM
There's not a whole lot to go wrong with a Ringo, that is unless the installer forgot to waterproof the coax connector assembly and the coax filled up like a garden hose and the metal is all corroded. Try connecting an ohm meter between the shield and center conductor to see if the antenna is shorted. (;->)

N8YX
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
...AND with the Omni V that Bill W3WH used to own... and I think Fred knows how well that rig receives.

Why, that thing's deaf as a post on 10!

No static at all...like there isn't an antenna connected to it.

Then your buddies come booming in at their usual signal strength and the rig amazes you.

I think some people regard a quiet receiver as a broken one. Absolutely not true - had the Omni V on the bench last weekend and it had no trouble whatsoever hearing a signal from the generator when said generator's output was reduced as low as I could get it. 0.01uV, to be exact.

Given that the Omni's receiver is slightly quieter on 12 and 10M than the other bands, its RX bandpass filters might need a touch-up to maximize signal transfer on the upper HF segments but you really couldn't prove it by me.

W3WN
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Ben & I talked it over... he's going to try a few things, starting with a simple wire antenna mounted at the base of his 2 M vertical.

The Ringo has clearly seen better days... at the very least, cleaning off the oxidation, replacing any rusted screws/bolts with stainless steel, and general TLC won't hurt it.

And I'm going to get Ben some "fresh" coax; I have a partial roll (originally 500 feet) I purchased a few years back from a SK estate, I think I can spare a few feet off of it... just in case it is the coax that's the problem, not the antenna.

WØTKX
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Why, that thing's deaf as a post on 10!

No static at all...like there isn't an antenna connected to it.

Then your buddies come booming in at their usual signal strength and the rig amazes you.

Even the lowly (but amazing) Omni D's and Corsair rigs will do that to ya. :yes:

I think Ten Tec is gonna do something really freaking cool in the next 12-24 months. Because they gr0k analog AND digital together, better than most. For me it's a battle between Flex, Ten Tec, Elecraft, and those Sierra folks for the next amazement.

As a fan, I hope Ten Tec kicks everybody's ass.

NQ6U
07-10-2013, 02:30 AM
I think Ten TecAs a fan, I hope Ten Tec kicks everybody's ass.

Me too, because that will make Elecraft sit up and take notice, which means that the next thing they come out with will be even better, which will make Ten Tec sit up and take notice...

wa6mhz
07-10-2013, 07:58 AM
The W8BI Hamvention station used TenTec OMNI 7s this year and I had a chance to use one after we got the antenna set up.

VERY NICE RADIO! Nice big LCD screen and easy to use. Not alot of hidden menus to try and figure out. U can almost turn it on and use it without having to carefully read the manual.

That said, It performed up to par with other rigs I have used. Would I trade my FT5K for one?

SORRY! I will keep the FT5K. But the Omni does seem better than an Icom 718!

W3WN
07-10-2013, 08:38 AM
To each their own Pat. Having used an FT5000... I wouldn't trade even up for an Omni VII either. I'd sell the FT5K, buy an O7, and pocket the difference (or more likely, invest it in filters, accessories, coax, and antennas)

And I'll keep the Omni VI+, too.

K9CCH
07-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I want a boat anchor.

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2gg9r4qvj1qaoq6yo1_250.gif

K9CCH
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
What's that restaurant you like to go to?

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Hmm? In reference to my current avatar perhaps? I change mine frequently, for the lulz. It's actually to poke fun at a recent forum "drive-by". Probably time to change it again.

In real life, the best restaurant I've been to in years is the Daffodil Mediterranean (http://www.yelp.com/biz/daffodil-mediterranean-cuisine-and-catering-lincoln), in Lincoln NE. Wandered in, was amazed.

wa6mhz
07-11-2013, 12:20 PM
What's that restaurant you like to go to?

White Castle? Only a 3400 mile round trip to score some sliders!

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I admit it... I miss White Castle.

NQ6U
07-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I never did understand the cult of White Castle (and, yes, I have eaten them). Give me In 'n' Out Burger any day of the week.

WØTKX
07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Yea well... Open 24 hours, as an ex cabbie... those sliders were gooooooood!

W3WN
07-12-2013, 07:59 AM
They sell frozen White Castle sliders at Aldi's. Just sayin'. I know, it's not the same, but sometimes it's as close as you can get.

W3WN
07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Now, getting back to the original subject...

When he got home from work last night, Ben had an epiphany. (yes, you can get a vaccine for that)

He had two trees in the corners of his front yard... and fortunately, on the "safe" side of the power lines.

Wire from each tree to the house. Fed with coax at the chimney. Each leg circa 30 feet or so.

Amazingly enough, he can now hear signals! :dance::cheers::dance:

PA5COR
07-12-2013, 08:54 AM
You need antenna's for that? all that newfangled stuff is over my head....;)

wa6mhz
07-12-2013, 09:13 AM
I never did understand the cult of White Castle (and, yes, I have eaten them). Give me In 'n' Out Burger any day of the week.

It's an ACQUIRED TASTE! They put something ADDICTIVE in them. IN&OUT is just plain GREAT, extra high quality burger! Nothing high quality about Sliders, though they are GREAT for Constipation! But there is just something about them....Can't figure out what. And they are ALSO the one thing in the world I will eat WITH ONIONS, which I absolutely REFUSE to eat otherwise.

So they are putting some DRUG in White Castles to HOOK the public! Imma WhiteCastle JUNKIE!

K7SGJ
07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
It's an ACQUIRED TASTE! They put something ADDICTIVE in them. IN&OUT is just plain GREAT, extra high quality burger! Nothing high quality about Sliders, though they are GREAT for Constipation! But there is just something about them....Can't figure out what. And they are ALSO the one thing in the world I will eat WITH ONIONS, which I absolutely REFUSE to eat otherwise.

So they are putting some DRUG in White Castles to HOOK the public! Imma WhiteCastle JUNKIE!

Great for constipation? As a cause or a cure?

wa6mhz
07-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Whenever I eat Sliders, I hafta have an IMMODIUM CHASER!

W3WN
07-12-2013, 09:48 AM

So they are putting some DRUG in White Castles to HOOK the public! Imma WhiteCastle JUNKIE!Pat, considering your diet, I think it's fair to say that you're not just a WhiteCastle Junkie, but an overall Junk Food Junkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLiVeRJTtqo

kb2vxa
07-12-2013, 12:34 PM
They don't call them sliders for nothing, they slide externally for lubricant and internally for propulsion. Eat a few, strap a couple to your feet, ASSume the position and YOU'RE OFF!

You figured I'm a little squirrely, now you know.