PDA

View Full Version : This is so sad :( - 19 firefighters perish in wildfire

suddenseer
07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
When I read about this, I could not help but shed a tear for the families of these firefighters. These guys are the best of the best at what they do. This must have been a HUGE fire to take out this many members of the same unit. People willing to lay down their lives to help others are examples of what makes this country great. I could never be on their level.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_23578536/hotshots-killed-ariz-fire-remembered-mourned

WØTKX
07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
It sucks man. I really dig these firefighters in the woods.
Folks like that saved our house a few weeks ago.

W4GPL
07-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Very sad.

I've edited the thread title to reflect the topic. :)

N2CHX
07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Sad indeed.

suddenseer
07-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Very sad.

I've edited the thread title to reflect the topic. :)Sorry about that. I can blame the Fentanyl, and Percocets today. After they wear off, I have no excuse.

N8YX
07-01-2013, 08:51 PM
It's the firefighters more than anyone else who makes the ultimate sacrifice while aiding those who need them.

Your efforts will not be forgotten, nor will they go unnoticed.

Sound the bell.

N2NH
07-01-2013, 10:38 PM
My brother-in-law was a fireman in NYFD. A very hard job. He was on vacation when some members of his firehouse were killed in a supermarket fire in Brooklyn a few years back. He came right back to be with them at their funeral. (http://commandsafety.com/2010/08/the-waldbaum-fire-collapse-fdny-1978-remembrance/)

Sad to hear about but it's a tough job and it takes a tough person to do it.

KU0DM
07-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Sad to hear about but it's a tough job and it takes a tough person to do it.

And they're truly one of a kind. A huge loss, especially for the city where they're from, NPR quoted the fire chief saying "We just lost 19 of some of the finest people you'll ever meet."

kb2vxa
07-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Perhaps the chief said it best. Those I respect and admire most, everyday people just doing their jobs, firefighters, police and EMTs. Some may dislike them for some reason or other but the bottom line is this; when the chips are down and your life is on the line WHO GONNA SAVE YO ASS?

PA5COR
07-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Deep respect for all firefighters all over the world.
Sad to read this, condolences to their families left behind.
Tragic day in your country...

VK3ZL
07-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Being a firefighter for more than 50 years I can relate to the enormous scope of this tragedy..Think of all their families and close friends, their fellow firefighters as well as their senior officers who are ultimately responsible for the decisions made..Come tomorrow and other crews will step up and bravely face the same hazards..That's what the job is all about and the firefighting community worldwide will be in mourning for their brothers and sisters..

Bob..VK3ZL..

W7XF
07-02-2013, 03:28 AM
To add to this tragedy, the fire they were battling was probably human-started.

suddenseer
07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Being a firefighter for more than 50 years I can relate to the enormous scope of this tragedy..Think of all their families and close friends, their fellow firefighters as well as their senior officers who are ultimately responsible for the decisions made..Come tomorrow and other crews will step up and bravely face the same hazards..That's what the job is all about and the firefighting community worldwide will be in mourning for their brothers and sisters..

Bob..VK3ZL..Bob, I actually thought about you, and a few other Islanders when I posted this. I think that we are all happy that you, and your home brewed amplifier making skills are still with us.

N2NH
07-02-2013, 08:44 AM
And they're truly one of a kind. A huge loss, especially for the city where they're from, NPR quoted the fire chief saying "We just lost 19 of some of the finest people you'll ever meet."

You always know that there's a chance you will not come home that night. Or the next one.

Take it from someone who knows a lot of firemen and cops. That doesn't mean you will not feel badly for them.

KU0DM
07-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Dude. It. Goes. With. The. Job.

You always know that there's a chance you will not come home that night. Or the next one.

Take it from someone who knows a lot of firemen and cops. That doesn't mean you will not feel badly for them.

No one is disagreeing with you.

W2NAP
07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
seen this on the news the other night. sad.

KK4AMI
07-03-2013, 05:51 AM
They interviewed the young wife of one of the firefighters on NBC. She had 4 young kids. That left me thinking who was going to take care of all those widows and kids?

N2CHX
07-03-2013, 06:26 AM
They interviewed the young wife of one of the firefighters on NBC. She had 4 young kids. That left me thinking who was going to take care of all those widows and kids?

A discussion most certainly best left to the P&SO forum.

N7YA
07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Tough job, not unappreciated here! Apparently the fire shelters were a complete failure. Unfortunately, it takes real world situations like this to find this stuff out. The death of these men will force tough questions and hard examinations of equipment and practices. The results will likely save many lives in the future.

NQ6U
07-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Those fire shelters only offer a 50% chance of survival at best. That's why firefighters are taught not to rely on them and consider them only as a last resort.

N7YA
07-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I can say with near certainty that they wont be trusted in the field from this point on. But i am also sure that the developers of that technology will be hitting the lab to figure out ways to make them better. Again, another tragic good to come out of this.

K7SGJ
07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Those fire shelters only offer a 50% chance of survival at best. That's why firefighters are taught not to rely on them and consider them only as a last resort.

This is exactly right. Others have successfully used them, and others not so. I recall another fire near Kingman years ago, in which the same thing happened and a crew was lost there, too. Sometimes, the weather takes a sudden, unpredictable turn, and bad things happen. These guys were the best, and they will be missed. My heart also goes out to the families and friends left behind. I can't begin to imagine how the only survivor of the crew feels. As the lookout, it is reported he did everything right, but still, he must be feeling really low.

One thing that really pisses me off, is that the FKN media, as usual and in their haste and lack of sensitivity, reported the details so quickly, that some of the wives learned of the loss of the crew and thereby their husbands death on the televised news. It's too bad these people can't wait until the authorities have notified the families. Bastids

As Adam said, I hope that out of this tragedy, research will provide these guys with a system to make an incident like this more survivable.

N2NH
07-04-2013, 10:52 AM
One thing that really pisses me off, is that the FKN media, as usual and in their haste and lack of sensitivity, reported the details so quickly, that some of the wives learned of the loss of the crew and thereby their husbands death on the televised news. It's too bad these people can't wait until the authorities have notified the families. Bastids

I didn't know that. That really sucks. I wish I could express my condolences to the families. That's no way to find out.

W2NAP
07-04-2013, 11:00 AM

the media is garbage today, everything is for the ratings. if they could get away with it some station would show the burned bodies on tv for the ratings thats how sick they are.

W7XF
07-04-2013, 04:30 PM
And guess who wants to show up at the funerals??? None other than the Wasteboro Wackjobs. I wonder if they realise that most Arizonans lacking a felony record packs heat?? AND, I think the Navajo Nation constabluary will be more than happy to make their visit to Arizona a very short one. Go Ahead, Fuckface Phelps, make our day.

N2NH
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
No one is disagreeing with you.

My fault, I misread that. Sorry.

W2NAP
07-04-2013, 06:25 PM
And guess who wants to show up at the funerals??? None other than the Wasteboro Wackjobs. I wonder if they realise that most Arizonans lacking a felony record packs heat?? AND, I think the Navajo Nation constabluary will be more than happy to make their visit to Arizona a very short one. Go Ahead, Fuckface Phelps, make our day.

wish we could deport the westboro wackjobs

NQ6U
07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
AND, I think the Navajo Nation constabluary will be more than happy to make their visit to Arizona a very short one. Go Ahead, Fuckface Phelps, make our day.

Is the funeral going to take place on the Navajo res, Kevin? That could prove interesting—the usual laws that protect those WBC jackoffs may not apply in that case.

kb2vxa
07-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Verrry interesting. First of all you can't deport what nobody wants without creating an international incident. "Of course you know this means war!"

Verrry moar interesting, Indian land is sovereign land, US law does not apply. I wonder what Navajo Tribal Law has to say about hemorrhoids.

W7XF
07-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Is the funeral going to take place on the Navajo res, Kevin? That could prove interesting—the usual laws that protect those WBC jackoffs may not apply in that case.

No, your eminence....but the Wasteboro Wackjobs have to drive thru the Navajo Nation to get to Prescott.

And, if by chance they fly, ya know Sky Harbour is in none other than Maricopa County...I'm sure Arpaio would have his Welcome..errr
paddy wagon waiting for Phelps and Co.

KU0DM
07-05-2013, 09:17 AM
My fault, I misread that. Sorry.

N2NH
07-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Skoal! Danke. Next round is on me. :)

KG4NEL
07-05-2013, 11:43 AM
No, your eminence....but the Wasteboro Wackjobs have to drive thru the Navajo Nation to get to Prescott.

And, if by chance they fly, ya know Sky Harbour is in none other than Maricopa County...I'm sure Arpaio would have his Welcome..errr
paddy wagon waiting for Phelps and Co.

If ever there was a place for an asteroid to land...