PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Focus

HUGH
06-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Am I being optimistic taking photos of insects using the 1cm macro setting on a compact digital camera? Should I aim to stop down the lens manually and hope the subject doesn't move with a slow shutter speed? The lens is f3.2 to f6.5.

I used to carry an SLR around but often used to leave it at home because it was cumbersome. I found a compact digital camera could accompany me everywhere so few photo opportunities were missed.
The file sizes are reduced here to about a 20th.

K7SGJ
06-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Neat photos. It is fun to experiment.

Shutter speed can be very important. I was photographing a caterpillar once, and I had the shutter speed so slow, what I got was a picture of a butterfly. Go figure.

KG4CGC
06-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Nice pictures. Frogs and tadpoles are currently my thing with the odd goldfish from I don't know where thrown in.

KG4NEL
06-29-2013, 10:32 PM
f3.2 isn't your friend for great DOF/bokeh :(

N8OBM
06-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Am I being optimistic taking photos of insects using the 1cm macro setting on a compact digital camera? Should I aim to stop down the lens manually and hope the subject doesn't move with a slow shutter speed? The lens is f3.2 to f6.5.

I used to carry an SLR around but often used to leave it at home because it was cumbersome. I found a compact digital camera could accompany me everywhere so few photo opportunities were missed.
The file sizes are reduced here to about a 20th.

Depth of field is a bit of a beast to work out. The basic thing is this, you will get a greater depth of field using a shorter focal length lens. the figure of f3.2 to f6.5 likely means you have a zoom lens and it is likely f3.2 at its shortest length and it's likely f6.5 at it's longest length. That said what you are looking for is a bright lens that can do macro work. You will also benefit from a fast CCD which will allow you to stop down and increase your depth of field. If your camera has an aperture priority mode of program that would be good.

My wife has an amazing collection of photos of the various moths that land around here. she has tried several different smaller digital cameras but she always seems to go back to her older Nikon. Its only a 2 meg but the macro and speed are excellent. Lately she has been playing with an S95 Cannon. It might finally retire the old Nikon. I also hear that Nikon is planning a macro lens for the Nikon One series. That could be a real contender. The size of a compact with the function of a DSLR. could be interesting........

I hope this helps

Archie N8OBM

HUGH
06-30-2013, 02:36 PM
:lol:
Neat photos. It is fun to experiment.

Shutter speed can be very important. I was photographing a caterpillar once, and I had the shutter speed so slow, what I got was a picture of a butterfly. Go figure.

:hyper:

Quite so. The camera I was using had a reasonable startup time but the shutter delay was frustrating so I now have (also) the fastest I could find and it does the job.

HUGH
06-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Depth of field is a bit of a beast to work out. The basic thing is this, you will get a greater depth of field using a shorter focal length lens. the figure of f3.2 to f6.5 likely means you have a zoom lens and it is likely f3.2 at its shortest length and it's likely f6.5 at it's longest length. That said what you are looking for is a bright lens that can do macro work. You will also benefit from a fast CCD which will allow you to stop down and increase your depth of field. If your camera has an aperture priority mode of program that would be good.

My wife has an amazing collection of photos of the various moths that land around here. she has tried several different smaller digital cameras but she always seems to go back to her older Nikon. Its only a 2 meg but the macro and speed are excellent. Lately she has been playing with an S95 Cannon. It might finally retire the old Nikon. I also hear that Nikon is planning a macro lens for the Nikon One series. That could be a real contender. The size of a compact with the function of a DSLR. could be interesting........

I hope this helps

Archie N8OBM

Yes, it's a ubiquitous zoom but the new camera has a CMOS sensor which seems to be quieter and faster than the CCD versions. The shutter to shutter speed is remarkable. I have looked at "hybrids" (would you call them) and it was very tempting but stll not quite pocketable.

From school I only remember 1/f = 1/u + 1/v which isn't a lot of use really!