PDA

View Full Version : I am of the opinion that...

KC2UGV
06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
... all this rain kinda sucks. Well, not the rain so much. It's the "ZOMFG It's gonna downpour!", and then looking out my window for the rest of the day, and not seeing a thing. For a week straight.

Or, it rains, from like 6:05AM, until 6:50AM.

I'm only griping, because I choose if I'm commuting by bike, car, or bus by 6:10AM. So, I get to miss a great cycling day, just because of a 40 minute downpour.

Don't mind light rain, in this case, I'll just toss my bike onto the bus. But downpours? Yeah, no thanks until I get my biking poncho.

I sometimes make the gamble, and come out ahead. Most of this week (Shy of today), I gambled on it, rode in, and was fine. Today for some reason I was like,"Yeah, I don't wanna do that". And right now? No rain, and dry pavement.

N2NH
06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
the fact that we've just had one storm in the last 2-1/2 weeks. Wish we had some of that here.

N8YX
06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Frog Toggs are your friend.

Will probably get to use them tomorrow as the forecast has a 70% chance of showers throughout the
day and we're doing a long distance dinner ride in the afternoon.

KC2UGV
06-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Frog Toggs are your friend.

Will probably get to use them tomorrow as the forecast has a 70% chance of showers throughout the
day and we're doing a long distance dinner ride in the afternoon.

If I weren't riding to/from work, I would just go out in my tech shirt and cargo shorts like I usually do.

I was kicking around a rain suit. But, then I figured: Would I prefer being wet with sweat, or wet from rain?

n2ize
06-28-2013, 12:47 PM
We have been getting tons of rain over much of June. Seems to have tapered down quite a bit over the past week or so. e did get a mild thunderstorm last night though.

W2NAP
06-28-2013, 12:48 PM
with all the rain we have gotten here, im sick of rain I honestly liked the drought better...

its rained here damn near every single day since like oct of 2012.

WØTKX
06-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Fires, fires, everywhere, and not a drop of rain. :(

KG4CGC
06-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Dead zone in the Gulf the size of New Jersey due to the flood waters coming down the Mississippi River and washing away all the farm chemicals into the sea.

WØTKX
06-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Mankind...

http://youtu.be/Th_aBzrV37M

http://youtu.be/Th_aBzrV37M

N8YX
06-29-2013, 12:39 PM
If I weren't riding to/from work, I would just go out in my tech shirt and cargo shorts like I usually do.

I was kicking around a rain suit. But, then I figured: Would I prefer being wet with sweat, or wet from rain?

Toggs are breathable - not like a PCV or pure vinyl suit. The fabric lets water vapor out but keep rain away from the wearer. I've ridden with them in some pretty decent downpours both on the motorcycles and bicycles. They work nicely for being a lightweight garment.

K7SGJ
06-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Be happy you're getting some. Rain that is. We haven't had a drop since the first of the year. But, we do have heat. 121 out here yesterday, and heading that way again today. But it's a dry heat. Bullshit, it's a hotter than fuck heat.

NQ6U
06-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Be happy you're getting some. Rain that is. We haven't had a drop since the first of the year. But, we do have heat. 121 out here yesterday, and heading that way again today. But it's a dry heat. Bullshit, it's a hotter than fuck heat.

90+ °F here, more than hot enough for me and, as you say, "dry heat" is bullshit. I'd love to see some rain.

WØTKX
06-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Finally got some rain last night, and today enough for flash flood warnings.

K7SGJ
06-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Finally got some rain last night, and today enough for flash flood warnings.

You all need to pool your resources and buy a metric shit ton of wild grass seed to scatter around the areas cleared by the recent fires. Actually, cannabis grows rather quickly, and would help retain the soil in heavy rains, thereby reducing the threat of floods. Conversely, should that area ever catch fire again, all they would have to do is hand a shovel to everyone that wants to get near the smoke. There would be more smoke eaters than one could imagine. I can hear the news lead-in now: Today, the Zig-Zag fire has grown to 14,000 acres. Due to the number of volunteers present, Forest Service fire fighters can't get within 17 miles of the fire.

Win-Win.