PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have ROKU?

WX7P
06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Just got this Roku thingee from Amazon today. It's pretty cool.

Now I can watch my cheapee netflix on the TV instead of the computer monitor.

The only problem is the Roku won't accept HDMI from my Denon AVR-2310CI Receiver. The directions say some of the older (2005) receivers might have problems. I would really prefer running ROKU through the receiver as we can take advantage of our very nice speakers.

Off to perform some google-fu to try to find a fix...

NA4BH
06-25-2013, 04:57 PM
The dude at Best Buy was trying his hardest to sell me one of those today. What the hell is it?

WX7P
06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
It's a box that connects your streaming internet to your home AV system. Things like HULU or Netflix that you normally watch on the computer. This thing connects with the wireless and allows you to stream on the TV instead of the computer screen.

We have the basic Netflix at $7.99 a month. Doesn't have a lot of the current movies or classic stuff, but there's enough there to make it worth the price. Lots of old TV shows too.

The Roku was $58 shipped from Amazon.

NY4Q
06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes and love it.

NQ6U
06-25-2013, 05:56 PM
The Roku is a neat little unit but I don't need one since my Blue Ray player handles a lot of the same chores. However, I found that Netflix streaming was not reliable here so I gave up on it.

W4GPL
06-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I got a Roku, I use it extensively. :)

KC2UGV
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
If you are intending on watching Hulu on it, you will need to pay for Hulu+.

VE7DCW
06-25-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm still trying to get my HD T.V. to work properly with the HD cable box.......another new fangled dongle to use on the T.V. .....damn! :lol:

WX7P
06-25-2013, 08:25 PM
If you are intending on watching Hulu on it, you will need to pay for Hulu+.

I'm perfectly content with basic Netflix.

I just got done watching a William H. Macy movie called "Panic".

Never heard of it before, it wasn't bad.

We watched almost the whole run of Adam-12 last year. It was creepy and cheesy at the same time. I remember some of the episodes from when I watched the show in primetime. Now, it's fun just looking at all the old cars and watching for continuity errors.

I'd love to have that Plymouth Satellite station wagon the Sgt. drove, complete with the big motor and the spotlight. How many of those survived?

WØTKX
06-25-2013, 08:44 PM
I've thought about getting one. We're still running Comcast and have Xfinity stuff to watch as well as the usual cable fare.

Amazon Prime streaming to a high end laptop and hooked up to the TV via HDMI has worked well for me.

I consider it "free TV", since all the free shipping from Amazon has more than paid for itself.

PA5COR
06-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Picking up today my new Linux based VU + solo HD satellite reciever that can do the same connected to the internet.
Looks like i have a steep learning curve ahead...

NY4Q
06-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Picking up today my new Linux based VU + solo HD satellite reciever that can do the same connected to the internet.
Looks like i have a steep learning curve ahead...

Well you fellows across the pond have a lot more to choose from (satellite wise) than we do here in the olde USA. Although we can get some good PBS stuff for free via Ku-Band, and some foreign news, the rest is ho-hum (to me anyway).

KB3LAZ
06-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the information, Janet. I'll have to pick one up when stateside. I have always liked using hulu and netflix. Hulu for anime and netflix for movies.