PDA

View Full Version : Any Second Life Residents?

AE1PT
06-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Back about 2006, I read an article about a multi-user graphical environment called "Second Life" by Linden Labs. Seems that real governments were putting embassies there--and a currency exchange similar to bitcoin was making some folks a lot of money. The premise seemed a bit more interesting than Sim City--where you do a lot of work and a UFO comes and vaporizes something--or a fire burns down your new subdivision whist some inane chattering noise comes out of the supposed residents...

So I checked it out, and played around for a while with a variety of avatars--a furry, a mechanical, a goth type male, and a blonde female with questionable morals. It became rather boring in the course of a month. I cashed in most of my Linden Dollars I had bought, and uninstalled the program.

So last night I was going through some very old files to consolidate various archives together, and I ran across my config info sheet from when I was playing around with SL. It became apparent that I had left some cash back there, as well as some 'property.' Thought I would check and see if there was some ham goodie that could be bought with forgotten or convertible to cash assets. First my thought was to get some info as to what the situation with it is today.

Is there anyone on the Island messing around with SL these days--or is being here fantasy enough? :cool2:

n6hcm
06-23-2013, 12:55 AM
second life is so last millennium.

W2NAP
06-23-2013, 01:35 AM
what is this I dont even.

n2ize
06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
I am still using computers for doing computations opften using FORTRAN, Lisp, and C. You can't get more technologically backwards than me.

W2NAP
06-24-2013, 12:56 AM
I am still using computers for doing computations opften using FORTRAN, Lisp, and C. You can't get more technologically backwards than me.

we have programming in C.. but what ever happened to B and A?

AE1PT
06-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Jeez, what would one use Fortran for these days? Back in the 70s I used to write a few routines for some ideas I had on power production. They were in Fortran IV, and sent off to the USF engineering department for time share input on an IBM 360. I wonder how many thousands upon thousands of times more powerful this workstation I am on now than that behemoth...

What happened to languages A and B? They were developed by Adam Osborne after his failed computer effort. He told people about them before he had the actual product in hand, and everyone ran the other way. They were snapped up for a song by Dennis Ritchie, who later claimed that he developed C all on his own a decade earlier. Osborne ran off to India, never to be heard from again until he died... :doh:

mw0uzo
06-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Jeez, what would one use Fortran for these days?

You'd be surprised. Its still used a lot in computational academic stuff, universities etc. A lot of big CAD and simulation software have interfaces for fortran code for doing custom subroutines etc, Main reasons for its use are speed and maturity.

AE1PT
06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
You'd be surprised. Its still used a lot in computational academic stuff, universities etc. A lot of big CAD and simulation software have interfaces for fortran code for doing custom subroutines etc, Main reasons for its use are speed and maturity.

Really? I cannot think of a single solitary thing mathematically (algebraic is the strong suit) for Fortran II or IV that cannot be executed immediately on a Linux, Unix, or Windows desktop (probably even Mac fanboi's could do it) with more elegant languages and applications.

I like silver based wet photography. I, like what you describe--are an anachronism. Nor does it make me immenently useful in the postmodern age.

Let the justifications begin... :lol:

W2NAP
06-25-2013, 01:01 AM
also why has nobody created a D programming language?

n6hcm
06-25-2013, 03:57 AM
Jeez, what would one use Fortran for these days?

scientific computing. in fact, intel produces a sought-after fortran compiler which is quite good for this purpose.

n6hcm
06-25-2013, 04:00 AM
Really? I cannot think of a single solitary thing mathematically (algebraic is the strong suit) for Fortran II or IV that cannot be executed immediately on a Linux, Unix, or Windows desktop (probably even Mac fanboi's could do it) with more elegant languages and applications.

the maturity and existing base of code are important, especially for scientists. i can't get scientists to move from older versions of matlab (under ten years old) to newer versions for fear that important values may change even slightly. consistency is very important, especially for longitudinal studies.

WØTKX
06-25-2013, 10:24 AM
also why has nobody created a D programming language?

Aaaaaahem.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(programming_language)

mw0uzo
06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
the maturity and existing base of code are important, especially for scientists. i can't get scientists to move from older versions of matlab (under ten years old) to newer versions for fear that important values may change even slightly. consistency is very important, especially for longitudinal studies.

What he said ^ . Custom numerical codes are developed with great pain. Verified, validated code can take several years to produce, once its validated its never messed with again. Libraries of numerical codes can take 10's of years to develop and maintain, there is no room for obsolescence. Ask a scientist who develops numerical codes something like 'Can't you rewrite that in Java?' and watch them snigger. While you're wondering what on earth they're laughing about, a prof. who overheard your question will sneak up on you with a heavy object then hide your corpse in the basement. Should you escape, try writing some numerical codes in Java and watch the calculations melt down for no good reason whatsoever.

Personally I love C and would risk ending up in the basement instead of having to write anything in FORTRAN, but the reasons it is stuck with are sound and the reasons I cling onto C are weak. At least it works numerically.

W2NAP
06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Aaaaaahem.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(programming_language)

well. pffffffffffft.

ok we have D what about E lol

KG4NEL
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
E comes in pill form.

:spin:

VE7DCW
06-25-2013, 03:02 PM
well. pffffffffffft.

ok we have D what about E lol

It comes before F ...... ? :spin: