PDA

View Full Version : Having some hot humid weather here

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 03:08 AM
And some thunderstorms already, not here up north though.
But that will change in the afternoom...

http://www.onweer-online.nl/images/userimages/forum/user_8136/138601.jpg

n2ize
06-19-2013, 03:46 AM
And some thunderstorms already, not here up north though.
But that will change in the afternoom...

http://www.onweer-online.nl/images/userimages/forum/user_8136/138601.jpg

Looks more like the kind of weather we normally get down here in the United States.

ki4itv
06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Our weather has been unusually nasty of late.
*natural cycles
;)

Bubba
06-19-2013, 08:39 AM
That weather map is so detailed.

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Our "cycles" are of steel and we ride them....
Weather has changed the last years, colder winters, more snow, wetter and strange summers, mostly too cold, but hotter as usual autumns...
Same for the continent and the UK.
Clearly the changes in thee Jetstream have a influence and that again is influenced by what happens at the North pole which is too warm, less heat difference between the equator and the pole means the jetstream meanders more and goes more south changing the weather patterns as we also see in the USA.
Summer starts this weekend here, never saw a Tropical day with 30+ C here before so early in the season.
Payback started this morning in Belgium and the netherlands with severe hail and rainstorms and thunder and lightning.
Weather alert for my Country from 14.00 till 48 hours further for severe weather here.

Sunny side of that, no need to water the plants outside nor my veggie plot ;)

KC2UGV
06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
That weather map is so detailed.

I can see the intricacies of the fronts, along with their boundaries... If you look close enough, you'll see the anvil clouds too!

KC2UGV
06-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Our "cycles" are of steel and we ride them....

Carbon Fiber or naught!

j/k I prefer AL or Steel :)

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.noodweercentrale.nl/nl/weer/weer-voor-professionals/wolken-en-neerslag/nederland.html
What we expect for tonight...

KC2UGV
06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.noodweercentrale.nl/nl/weer/weer-voor-professionals/wolken-en-neerslag/nederland.html
What we expect for tonight...

Hey! We're visiting a foreign website! ENGLISH!

:P

N2NH
06-19-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.noodweercentrale.nl/nl/weer/weer-voor-professionals/wolken-en-neerslag/nederland.html What we expect for tonight...

Impressive. That does look a lot like what we get here. Here in the mountains, it isn't as humid as by the seaboard. Like being in a soup. Glad that's not so much of a problem here.

NQ6U
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM

The Luchtdruk looks good. Whatever that is.

ki4itv
06-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Yeah...BTW COR, how do you say "Hello Federal agents and contractors" in Dutch. :lol:

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Goedendag federale agenten en ingehuurden.
English site with tornado's
http://essl.org/cgi-bin/eswd/eswd.cgi
Weather going up to our place....
Better ground the 77 foot high inverted L to the ground bus.
Dang...

Yeah...BTW COR, how do you say "Hello Federal agents and contractors" in Dutch. :lol:

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Expand your horizon, do like me and learn a few foreign languages ;)

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Barometric pressure ( we call it airpressure) lucht = air druk = pressure.

The Luchtdruk looks good. Whatever that is.

KC2UGV
06-19-2013, 01:27 PM

It's a joke based on the stereotypical American who goes abroad and expects everyone to speak English :)

ki4itv
06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
It's a joke based on the stereotypical American who goes abroad and expects everyone to speak English :)

Come on! Everyone understands English...you just have to speak it louder and slower.
(with a few stupid looking hand gestures)

NQ6U
06-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Barometric pressure ( we call it airpressure) lucht = air druk = pressure.

I know, I looked it up already, but it's funnier the other way.

Dutch and English are so closely related that I can often interpret written Dutch without help.

KG4NEL
06-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I know, I looked it up already, but it's funnier the other way.

Dutch and English are so closely related that I can often interpret written Dutch without help.

I was luchtdruk last weekend.

But yeah, our main European forwarder is in NL...sometimes the Dunglish can be amusing :mrgreen:

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Frisian, our second reckognised language from my ancesters and province i live in, is actually more connected to English.
There is a county in the UK that had just Frisians settling there and their heretage can still be found there.
Frisians live here from 500 B.C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisia

ki4itv
06-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Frisian, our second reckognised...<snipped>[/URL]

Better check your fly; Your Dunglish is showing. :lol:
(sorry OM...that one was just too fun... and easy)

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Don't mind, i think my English is better as your Dutch or Frisian ;)

KC2UGV
06-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Frisian, our second reckognised language from my ancesters and province i live in, is actually more connected to English.
There is a county in the UK that had just Frisians settling there and their heretage can still be found there.
Frisians live here from 500 B.C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisia

Impossible! That would put them in Europe before Baby Jesus.

ki4itv
06-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Don't mind, i think my English is better as your Dutch or Frisian ;)

Oh...without a doubt. Much respect here; I'm just a sucker for a great setup;) )

PA5COR
06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Yep, we were here long before baby Jebuus was on the planet, and kicked the Roman army out too, defeated the Romans under Tiberius at the Battle of Baduhennawood.
Frisian is the other language of the Netherlands, besides Dutch. In fact, Frisian came before Dutch. The Frisians were a great seafaring people (the North Sea was called Mare Frisicum by the Romans), one of the Frisian qualities that later became qualities the Dutch believe are Dutch.

The Frisians were the Germanic people that lived here from Dunkirk to Denmark in the times when the Romans had conquered every land up to the river Rhine. They tried to subdue the Frisians too, but these fierce warriors beat them. The Romans decided not to cross the Rhine again. Instead, the Frisians became loyal and appreciated allies of the Romans. A striking fact is that the Frisians had two kings! After the Romans had left the Low Countries and peoples in Europe started to move, the Angles went through Friesland, influencing the language of the Frisians. Also, many Frisians may have migrated to England, along with the Saxons, Angles and Jutes. That’s why Frisian has many similarities with English! For instance “cheese” in English is “tsiis”, which is pronounced practically the same. And “Tuesday” in Frisian is “tiisdei”, also pronounced the same as in English. And “planisphere” in Frisian is “planisfear”!

Friesland is now a province within the Netherlands. Part of the Dutch fame in astronomy was because of Frisian astronomers. One famous (amateur) astronomer was Eise Eisinga, who built the unique mechanical planetarium in his house in Franeker, from 1774 to 1781. It still works! See http://www.planetarium-friesland.nl/

The roots of my hometown Sneek, can be found back 2000 years when the first settlers put houses on ground mounts to stay dry from the still open sea here and settled in trade.
Lots of stuff dug up here on building works can be seen in the small museum.

Bubba
06-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Can you describe the humid weather conditions to me ? I can not fathom what you are talking about . Never seen it.

NQ6U
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Can you describe the humid weather conditions to me ? I can not fathom what you are talking about . Never seen it.

What with Guam's desert-dry climate, right?

n2ize
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM

I have always found it extremely difficult to learn foreign languages. In high school I used to flunk a lot of language tests and get low course grades no matter how hard I studied. I would study very hard before a test, come in and take the test and was confident I did well onbly to find I got a failing grade or a barely passing grade. I never had that trouble with any other subject. Any other subjects, if I was confident on the exam I would always end up with a good grade.

Even in college I had to take 4 full semesters of French (to the literary level) and I still struggled with it barely making it through. My cumulative index would have been higher had it not been for the language courses. Everything else I did very well. But language courses always killed me.

PA5COR
06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Easy for us here, television has mostly English series or German t.v. sychronises it in German.
French from the Flemish ( Belgian ) t.v.
Most own cable connection or lke me a motorised dish and can receive a gaggle of stations to pick from.
Dutch t.v. is hardly watched here, news and background programs for politics etc, the rest is all foreign stuff here.
Sinc age 12 i read mostly English pocketbooks because they were lots cheaper as the hardcopy in Dutch Desmond Bagly Tom Clancy, Hammond Innes, Alistair Maclean, etc etc, all English and i still have them.
Electronic periodics English/German Guns & Ammo, etc etc.

n2ize
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Easy for us here, television has mostly English series or German t.v. sychronises it in German.
French from the Flemish ( Belgian ) t.v.
Most own cable connection or lke me a motorised dish and can receive a gaggle of stations to pick from.
Dutch t.v. is hardly watched here, news and background programs for politics etc, the rest is all foreign stuff here.
Sinc age 12 i read mostly English pocketbooks because they were lots cheaper as the hardcopy in Dutch Desmond Bagly Tom Clancy, Hammond Innes, Alistair Maclean, etc etc, all English and i still have them.
Electronic periodics English/German Guns & Ammo, etc etc.

Perhaps it's easier under those circumstances because you get used to hearing and seeing the different languages spoken as opposed to the courses where they teach you some vocabulary and then it's all grammar, conjugations, etc.

PA5COR
06-20-2013, 01:19 PM
That part is reserved for school here ;)
Starting early with one language from age 12 you need at least 2 different alnguages mandatory prefferably 3.
All besides Dutch and here in the province mandatory Frisian language skills reading, writing etc.

Perhaps it's easier under those circumstances because you get used to hearing and seeing the different languages spoken as opposed to the courses where they teach you some vocabulary and then it's all grammar, conjugations, etc.

Bubba
06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
What with Guam's desert-dry climate, right?

You must have been here. Yes, it’s very reptilian, for the guamilian.

W7XF
06-20-2013, 03:58 PM
It's so hot and dry here, I saw a lizard panting like a dog xD

Bubba
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
It’s so hot here that my lizard is seeking shelter.

n2ize
06-23-2013, 09:33 PM
That part is reserved for school here ;)
Starting early with one language from age 12 you need at least 2 different alnguages mandatory prefferably 3.
All besides Dutch and here in the province mandatory Frisian language skills reading, writing etc.

It's probably a good idea. Maybe I would have done better in languages if I lived over in your country. All I know it was a nightmare for me trying to learn them here. :( However, I can speak mathematics, several computer languages, and music. :)

PA5COR
06-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Computer languages, Q Basic and ZX 81 Sinclair computer, Tandy CoCo was the last i did some programming on ;)
Languags here play a bigger role as in the USA, drive 200 miles i any direction and i'm in another country...
Doing business here it is mandatory you can speak the language of the customers, somehting learned at busines school as one of the first tricks.
English is a universal language, Dutch is spoken by 80 million people worldwide so not many.
Ham radio is one of the placs i can use the different languages daily, German English mostly.
Most English countrymen can travel the world over and expect to find someone with ( rudimentary) English language skills.