PDA

View Full Version : Intriging Job Offer

NQ6U
06-17-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm not going to apply because

I can't leave the XYL at home to take care of the MIL all week without help and
It's a defense industry job, which I will not do

but I have to admit it's an interesting one:

LB&B Associates Inc. has an immediate opportunity for a Full-time CDL Class A TRUCK DRIVER with Hazmat and Tanker Endorsements.

We are seeking a Truck Driver to support refueling services at the San Clemente Island, CA. Qualified candidates must have a Class A CDL with Hazmat (H) and Tanker (N) endorsements, a minimum of 5 years Class A Truck driving experience, clean driving record, and HS degree or equivalent.
Experience as a Fuel Distribution Systems Operator performing bulk storage & distribution systems operations consisting of pipeline receipts & issues, barge & tanker load & offloads, terminal pipe pumping system including pier/wharf facilities, and tanker truck loading rack operations is a plus.

Position requires candidate to live on San Clemente Island during the week, Monday through Friday. Lodging is provided and meal costs are reimbursed.

All applicants must be able to pass pre-employment drug/alcohol test, criminal background investigation, and SF86 background investigation.
EOE
M/F/V/D

KK4AMI
06-17-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm not going to apply because

I can't leave the XYL at home to take care of the MIL all week without help and
It's a defense industry job, which I will not do

but I have to admit it's an interesting one:

LB&B Associates Inc. has an immediate opportunity for a Full-time CDL Class A TRUCK DRIVER with Hazmat and Tanker Endorsements.

We are seeking a Truck Driver to support refueling services at the San Clemente Island, CA. Qualified candidates must have a Class A CDL with Hazmat (H) and Tanker (N) endorsements, a minimum of 5 years Class A Truck driving experience, clean driving record, and HS degree or equivalent.
Experience as a Fuel Distribution Systems Operator performing bulk storage & distribution systems operations consisting of pipeline receipts & issues, barge & tanker load & offloads, terminal pipe pumping system including pier/wharf facilities, and tanker truck loading rack operations is a plus.

Position requires candidate to live on San Clemente Island during the week, Monday through Friday. Lodging is provided and meal costs are reimbursed.

All applicants must be able to pass pre-employment drug/alcohol test, criminal background investigation, and SF86 background investigation.
EOE
M/F/V/D

Not sure about the interesting part. Sounds like you will be carrying JP Fuel and waking every morning to the sound of 5 inch Naval guns.

WØTKX
06-17-2013, 01:32 PM
1) Does it pay enough for in home health care assitance for a while?
2) Who cares? Get some of your mis-spent tax dollars back.

W7XF
06-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Not to mention doing some IOTA stuff on the air.

NQ6U
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Not to mention doing some IOTA stuff on the air.

That, in fact, was one of the more intriguing aspects. I wonder if I would be allowed to operate out of there. The entire island is the property of the U.S. Navy so they'd be the ones making the rules.

KK4AMI
06-17-2013, 05:01 PM
That, in fact, was one of the more intriguing aspects. I wonder if I would be allowed to operate out of there. The entire island is the property of the U.S. Navy so they'd be the ones making the rules.

Apparently not!

http://www.scisland.org/forum/article.php?vartid=252

NQ6U
06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Apparently not!

http://www.scisland.org/forum/article.php?vartid=252

Yeah, but it might be different for a contractor who's actually living there five days a week. Not that it matters in my case, but it is interesting to ponder. Just think of the pile-ups...

Bubba
06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but it might be different for a contractor who's actually living there five days a week. Not that it matters in my case, but it is interesting to ponder. Just think of the pile-ups...

I’m sure you can do it if you are living there. That request was made by a private person, if you have clearance to be there why not. Might be worth taking the job. You do know that that island is used as a firing range target , right ?? Just make sure its in your contract that you are not part of the live targets. I used to take a boat by there when I cruised Catalina Island and the channel islands in my LA days, its a beautiful area, just don’t get killed.

NQ6U
06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
I’m sure you can do it if you are living there. That request was made by a private person, if you have clearance to be there why not.

That's what I was thinking.

You do know that that island is used as a firing range target , right ?? Just make sure its in your contract that you are not part of the live targets. I used to take a boat by there when I cruised Catalina Island and the channel islands in my LA days, its a beautiful area, just don’t get killed.

Yeah, I know, it's the Navy's only live-firing range. Too bad they mothballed all the battleships with those lovely 16" guns years ago, though; it would be a hoot to watch them lob a shell that weighs as much as a Volkswagen from over the horizon and hit a target. I may hate war but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching things get blowed up real good as much as the next person.

Roger on the beautiful area. Apparently, you are allowed access to other parts of the island during daylight hours when there is no exercise scheduled. Since it's normally impossible for civilians to visit the place, there's a certain allure to taking the job just for that alone.

Bubba
06-17-2013, 08:13 PM
I would do it, if I knew anything about driving a truck.

VE7DCW
06-17-2013, 09:55 PM

Trust me...... any IOTA event mention any Island and away you go........ Vancouver Island is an attention getter in more ways than one! :yes:

n2ize
06-18-2013, 02:30 AM
No problem doing defense contract work here. I see it as doing a positive thing for the defense of this nation. Yeah, I know, sometimes we abuse our defense capabilities. But I still see it as more a positive than a negative. Just like joining the service. If the nation asked me to serve I would go.Sometimes war is necessary.

n2ize
06-18-2013, 02:39 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Yeah, I know, it's the Navy's only live-firing range. Too bad they mothballed all the battleships with those lovely 16" guns years ago, though; it would be a hoot to watch them lob a shell that weighs as much as a Volkswagen from over the horizon and hit a target. I may hate war but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching things get blowed up real good as much as the next person.

You probably would have loved the days of above ground atomic testing. I would have loved to have been allowed to watch the "Castle Bravo" shot or some of the shots they at Nevada back in the day. However I was way too young and lived too far away. Must have been awesome to see that intial flash and intense fireball looking like intense sunrise.From the pictures, films, and descriptions I have read it sounds like an awesome sight to behold.

Bubba
06-18-2013, 03:05 AM
We still do above ground atomic testing on Guam. It’s starting to take it’s toll on me..

n2ize
06-18-2013, 03:16 AM
We still do above ground atomic testing on Guam. It’s starting to take it’s toll on me..

Hmmmm... Not to sure about that ;) but I have read that Guam did receive a considerable amount of fallout from the Marshall Islands test shots. Seems I am always affected by "fallout" not necessarily of the atomic variety though :).

Bubba
06-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Ya, we have radioactivity in the water and soil, trees and plants. We also have dioxin ( agent orange) in the water, water table, and ground. But, the people have the wool over their eyes here , as they are forced to suck on the gov’t tit for everything and can’t complain. They think its normal to die at the age of 32 from natural causes..

wa6mhz
06-18-2013, 07:13 AM
San Clemente Is is a RARE Grid Square!!! U would be real popular on 6M! Also for the IOTA crowd!

N2NH
06-18-2013, 08:54 AM

That's messed up. It can really mess up your health, thyroid in particular. WhyTF does that still have to be done after 70 years is beyond me.

N2NH
06-18-2013, 08:57 AM
You probably would have loved the days of above ground atomic testing. I would have loved to have been allowed to watch the "Castle Bravo" shot or some of the shots they at Nevada back in the day. However I was way too young and lived too .far away. Must have been awesome to see that intial flash and intense fireball looking like intense sunrise.From the pictures, films, and descriptions I have read it sounds like an awesome sight to behold.

Here's the next best thing. Knock yourself out.

http://youtu.be/iUUTu2g3v00

KG4NEL
06-18-2013, 09:10 AM
You probably would have loved the days of above ground atomic testing. I would have loved to have been allowed to watch the "Castle Bravo" shot or some of the shots they at Nevada back in the day. However I was way too young and lived too far away. Must have been awesome to see that intial flash and intense fireball looking like intense sunrise.From the pictures, films, and descriptions I have read it sounds like an awesome sight to behold.

Yeah, pretty awesome to have to displace an island's population because their traditional way of life is now radioactive, as well as the fishermen who were unlucky enough to be in the fallout plume.

Something tells me they didn't think it was too awesome.

KG4NEL
06-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Just like joining the service. If the nation asked me to serve I would go. Sometimes war is necessary.

Considering we've been all-volunteer since 'Nam...

n2ize
06-18-2013, 03:46 PM
That's messed up. It can really mess up your health, thyroid in particular. WhyTF does that still have to be done after 70 years is beyond me.

Unless he knows something the rest of us don't I think he is half joking. To my best knowledge there have been no above ground (or under ground) atomic tests on any US territories in many decades. It is true that Guam did receive considerable fallout from the above ground testing that occurred in the 1950's and early 60's, particularly during Castle-Bravo. But I doubt that that fallout represents much in the way of a health hazard these days. I would be more concerned with chemical toxins that are found in and around many military installations.

n2ize
06-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah, pretty awesome to have to displace an island's population because their traditional way of life is now radioactive, as well as the fishermen who were unlucky enough to be in the fallout plume.

Well, those were the times. Most of the contaminated topsoil has been removed from the contaminated island and many of the more active and dangerous isotopes have decayed substantially by now. Matter of fact the wreckage of the target ships (mostly captured German ships) that were sunk during the "Operation Crossroads" tests near the Bikini atolls are a common site for SCUBA divers who dive down to explore the ships and radiation levels on the nearby atols is within safe levels.

The contamination of the Japanese fishing vessels and the unusual spread of fallout was duwe to several miscalculations. First the yield of Castle Bravo was significantly much higher than expected. Secondly, changes in the wind/weather patterns caused fallout to extend to areas that it was not supposed to go. A similar thing happened follwoing the "Upshot-Knothole" test in Nevada. Changing winds blew clouds of fallout over more populated areas where it was not expected to go resulting in minor contamination.

Something tells me they didn't think it was too awesome.

hat I meant was the shots were probably awesome spectacles. The flash, the fireball (like a man made sun) , the blast wave, the Wilson clouds, the familiar mushroom shaped clouds must have been spectacular to have actually witnessed live. It is something that I would have loved to watch. I do agree however, the negative effects are not quite so awesome.

n2ize
06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Considering we've been all-volunteer since 'Nam...

Even though I was opposed to the Vietnam war if I were drafted I would have gone to nam.

WX7P
06-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Even though I was opposed to the Vietnam war if I were drafted I would have gone to nam.

You probably would have, as you were raised by WWII era parents viewpoint at that time.

My parents grew up (and my father served) in WWII. That war was the last truly "noble" war, unlike Korea or Vietnam. The sense of my country right or wrong, was still strong in the early 60's. Since the Korean conflict occurred during the beginnings of the communist hysteria phase that "police action" was still viewed as a noble cause. The conflict in Vietnam changed that dynamic considerably.

I think post-Vietnam, the only way silly-ass geopolitical adventurism such as the Iraq mess could be accomplished ONLY through the use of a volunteer military force. The country in this day and age would not put up with draftees being sent to kill and die over blatant lies perpetrated by the Bush administration over Iraq or the Johnson's Tonkin Gulf deception. It worked in 1964 with draftees it wouldn't have worked in 2003 without an all volunteer military.

This is precisely why I'm in favor of mandatory national service. Now, most Americans don't care if Joe Bob from Shithole, MS gets killed in some wrongheaded foreign adventure. They damn well WOULD care if Joe College or Suzy Creamcheese, draftees from down the street, got killed in the same folly. The social and societal pressure would be immense for stupid adventures such as Iraq to cease or not even begin in the first place. You KNOW the political calculus would differ if draftees being sent home in a box was part of the equation.

n2ize
06-19-2013, 03:59 AM
You probably would have, as you were raised by WWII era parents viewpoint at that time.

My parents grew up (and my father served) in WWII. That war was the last truly "noble" war, unlike Korea or Vietnam. The sense of my country right or wrong, was still strong in the early 60's. Since the Korean conflict occurred during the beginnings of the communist hysteria phase that "police action" was still viewed as a noble cause. The conflict in Vietnam changed that dynamic considerably.

I think post-Vietnam, the only way silly-ass geopolitical adventurism such as the Iraq mess could be accomplished ONLY through the use of a volunteer military force. The country in this day and age would not put up with draftees being sent to kill and die over blatant lies perpetrated by the Bush administration over Iraq or the Johnson's Tonkin Gulf deception. It worked in 1964 with draftees it wouldn't have worked in 2003 without an all volunteer military.

This is precisely why I'm in favor of mandatory national service. Now, most Americans don't care if Joe Bob from Shithole, MS gets killed in some wrongheaded foreign adventure. They damn well WOULD care if Joe College or Suzy Creamcheese, draftees from down the street, got killed in the same folly. The social and societal pressure would be immense for stupid adventures such as Iraq to cease or not even begin in the first place. You KNOW the political calculus would differ if draftees being sent home in a box was part of the equation.

I gotta agree with you 100% on this one. Thats the very reason they won't have a draft. They remember what happened during the nam era all too well. Unfortunately these days not enough Americans could care about innocent lives of non-Americans being killed in places like Iraq, Pakistan, or Afghanistan. That's why airstrikes and drone attacks are still palatable to most Americans. We write them off as "collateral damage". But these are human beings with lives, hopes and dreams, families, children, loved ones just like us. We need to see things from their POV. They cannot accept being written off as collateral damage any more than we would accept it on 911. I see the same problem with Israel. While I vehemently support Israel's right to attack to defend itself I think their approach is too intense. Sure they have a right to be angry as heck but they also need to be sensitive to the many innocent people who did not engage in any anti-Israeli terrorism.

WØTKX
06-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Factions of the US and Australian governments practiced blatant apartheid in their beginnings. And they convinced their citizens to do the same. But heck... It's just "manifest destiny". It still goes on in "certain" areas of the world.

The majority of regular people want peace and prosperity. The ruling classes keep the drumbeats of "hating the other" going as it's popular enough to keep them in power. It's always about "winning" by beating up the "other guy. Same with the tribal/national/religious populaces anywhere.

But the psychotic witch doctors use their powers of persuasion. The forces of money and marketing coerce. Kill the <insert hated group here> to be popular and powerful. Even with sports teams. Hell, even with the Coke vs. Pepsi or Mac vs. PC thing.

Sigh.

W3WN
06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Are we starting that crap up again?

If you want me to leave, just say so.

WX7P
06-20-2013, 04:26 AM

What are you talking about?

KK4AMI
06-20-2013, 05:34 AM

Not me, I dodged the draft issue by joining Air Force ROTC!

KC2UGV
06-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Nah, rumors of the draft re-starting are wildly inflated. Plus, I think you're over draft age :P

W3WN
06-20-2013, 07:59 AM
What are you talking about?The post right above mine.

W3WN
06-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Nah, rumors of the draft re-starting are wildly inflated. Plus, I think you're over draft age :PActually, I still have my draft card, from my senior year in high school.

I was 1 H.

KG4NEL
06-20-2013, 08:17 AM

Had it been the '90s, I probably would have joined the Corps of Cadets at my school.

However, I think I paid too much attention to the news and developed too much of a resentment of authority for that to ever work in this current time :D

WØTKX
06-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Nope, not starting anything. Sorry if it seems like it.

It has been mentioned in other threads. Since this is general chat, I edited it.

Thank you Ron.

W7XF
06-20-2013, 04:01 PM
I didn't have to worry about the draft...I would have bombed the physical cuz of all the pins/plates in my left forearm.

KK4AMI
06-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I didn't have to worry about the draft...I would have bombed the physical cuz of all the pins/plates in my left forearm.

I hope you had the Docs install an SO-239 connector as well to make that contraption multifunctional :lol: