PDA

View Full Version : How is this thing legal?

WX7P
06-16-2013, 08:12 PM
http://dx.com/p/cze-7c-1w-7w-stereo-fm-transmitter-set-black-220052

This is a 7 watt FM stereo transmitter that can be tuned from 76 mhz to 108 mhz. It's marketed for use in a house or for realtors doing audio descriptions outside of houses for sale.

7 Watts! I could cover a really large area here with that kind of power and my 5/8 wave collinear vertical FM Broadcast Antenna. I bought the antenna when we were in Tulelake because the FM reception was so poor out in the weeds.

They were putting people in jail for selling these things back in the 90's. I wonder what changed?

VE7DCW
06-16-2013, 08:26 PM
http://dx.com/p/cze-7c-1w-7w-stereo-fm-transmitter-set-black-220052

This is a 7 watt FM stereo transmitter that can be tuned from 76 mhz to 108 mhz. It's marketed for use in a house or for realtors doing audio descriptions outside of houses for sale.

7 Watts! I could cover a really large area here with that kind of power and my 5/8 wave collinear vertical FM Broadcast Antenna. I bought the antenna when we were in Tulelake because the FM reception was so poor out in the weeds.

They were putting people in jail for selling these things back in the 90's. I wonder what changed?

Interesting to see the difference in laws between countries...... that equipment is perfectly legal for use in Canada with a "special" permit from Industry Canada....... same circumstances when IC allowed the Squamish hot air ballon event to get away with the use of a select few Amateur 2 meter frequencies! :irked:

WX7P
06-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Interesting to see the difference in laws between countries...... that equipment is perfectly legal for use in Canada with a "special" permit from Industry Canada....... same circumstances when IC allowed the Squamish hot air ballon event to get away with the use of a select few Amateur 2 meter frequencies! :irked:

That's true.

Whenever something in the Ramsey Electronics catalog was labelled "export only" it meant legal in Canada but not the US.

That's why this Chinese device is so interesting to me. They must have either changed the law, or someone's sneaking this in.

If you look around, you can get a similar device for less than $60, whereas a Ramsey device is about $300 and you only get 1 watt. Kind of like BaoFeng HT's vs. Yaesu or Icom.

W2NAP
06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
its getting snuck in. just like those "export" cb radios.

NQ6U
06-16-2013, 09:35 PM
its getting snuck in. just like those "export" cb radios.

Yep. I wouldn't be tempted, Janet, because the FCC comes down hard on people that they catch using those things. Check their daily e-mail digest and you'll see—the fines are typically in the five digit range.

WX7P
06-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Yep. I wouldn't be tempted, Janet, because the FCC comes down hard on people that they catch using those things. Check their daily e-mail digest and you'll see—the fines are typically in the five digit range.

You must have been reading my mind. Not that I didn't telegraph what I was thinking.

If we still lived in Tule, I MIGHT, but not here. Too much FM radio activity.

KG4CGC
06-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I discovered 2 new FMBCB stations recently by adding a small amp to my 5el directional monobander.

n2ize
06-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Chinese companies seldom give a crap about whether what they export is legal or illegal in the USA. They routinely ship cell phone jammers in to the USAwhich are highly illegal by FCC rules.. They usually make it through okay too because customs cannot intercept every single package so the probability is much greater that it will make it clean through customs and be delivered to your doorstep. And many of these companies will simply reship if by rare chance the item does get grabbed by customs.

KK4AMI
06-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Plus Chinese Companies are very helpful. Here is a clue.

"All packages from DX.com are sent without DX logo or any information indicating DX.com"