Just stumbled on this:

http://youtu.be/6uXT8zZbRFk

W2NAP
06-15-2013, 02:14 AM
not sure what to make of this....

NQ6U
06-15-2013, 02:18 AM
not sure what to make of this....

Makes me want to sell all my gear and deny I ever even had an amateur radio license.

W2NAP
06-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Makes me want to sell all my gear and deny I ever even had an amateur radio license.

I know... but on the other side.. he didn't seem all that interested... honestly GB had the effect to me he was wanting the "demo" to end fast

KA9MOT
06-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Scary...Huh?

Just one more reason NOT to join the ARRL!

Bubba
06-15-2013, 03:12 AM
I only watched half of it before getting bored. But irrespective of GB, that dude is a terrible salesman for ham radio. Kind of lame really.

wa6mhz
06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
a good first look at Amateur Radio for National TV. I found it very good for folks never exposed to Ham Radio before.

X-Rated
06-15-2013, 09:10 AM
That talkie is zeroes and ones.

LOL.

KK4AMI
06-15-2013, 09:29 AM

I promise to protect your secret. If you are going to throw your gear over a cliff, I also promise free guilt and shame removal and pick-up at your door!:-D

X-Rated
06-15-2013, 09:51 AM
I like to call CW a "mode". Yoo guy can call it what yoo want.

KK4AMI
06-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Beck is strong into the "Survivalist" crap. Buy Guns, Gold, land in Texas, invest in seeds for the future. food insurance, etc. I'm sure he only included Ham radio as part of his Doomsday arsenal package deal. You can bet it wasn't for the sake of promoting the hobby.

WØTKX
06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Message to Glenn Beck...

Shortly after the 9/11 incident, I got on IRC, and immediately started monitoring channels from the Middle East, and Muslim focused.

Was sitting on a fat fiber pipe. Wish I had saved the commentary. The Muslim technical community was horrified.

I was impressed with the humanity and the condemnation ... Outright rejection of the wrong premise of Jihad.

Douches who condemn Muslims outright are douchey.

N8YX
06-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Beck is strong into the "Survivalist" crap. Buy Guns, Gold, land in Texas, invest in seeds for the future. food insurance, etc. I'm sure he only included Ham radio as part of his Doomsday arsenal package deal. You can bet it wasn't for the sake of promoting the hobby.
I would rather take along a smallish CB rig and combo FRS/GMRS handie in a go bag than almost any HF radio - with the possible exception of an Argo V/6N2 pair. Most emergency or scene-specific comms are going to be conducted on VHF and above; that HF set might not prove to be the wisest choice if space and weight are at a premium.

Some form of a wideband, all-mode portable receiver that includes P25 decoding ability might prove more useful than a transceiver if carry weight is a concern.

KK4AMI
06-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I would rather take along a smallish CB rig and combo FRS/GMRS handie in a go bag than almost any HF radio - with the possible exception of an Argo V/6N2 pair. Most emergency or scene-specific comms are going to be conducted on VHF and above; that HF set might not prove to be the wisest choice if space and weight are at a premium.

Some form of a wideband, all-mode portable receiver that includes P25 decoding ability might prove more useful than a transceiver if carry weight is a concern.

"GO BAG?" Oh, OK. You're thinking like the roving bands of 47%, roaming the earth to scrounge food. GB is addressing only those that had the forethought to buy land, build shelters and gun turrets and stock provisions. He is not moving anywhere :lol:. He will probably set up a fixed radio station so he can keep on preaching. I'm sticking with my Alinco DX-70T. It is easy to open up for full coverage and it works as a base station and/or mobile depending on my situation! Never know when I get that HF radio call from San Diego to meet the last submarine that is going to take me to Australia!

N8YX
06-15-2013, 02:54 PM
"GO BAG?" Oh, OK. You're thinking like the roving bands of 47%, roaming the earth to scrounge food.

Nope - I'm think of anyone who needs portable communications.

As far as remaining stationary/holed-up when push comes to shove is concerned: Ask yourself how well that worked out for Chris Dorner and several other "luminaries".

KC2UGV
06-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Same here. Even if you had to go on the move, CB radios are all over the place. People will figure them out.

W3WN
06-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Scary...Huh?

Just one more reason NOT to join the ARRL!Why blame the ARRL because of that nut case?

WX7P
06-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Why blame the ARRL because of that nut case?

It would take a Beckian pretzel logic twist to connect Glenn Beck with the ARRL...

X-Rated
06-15-2013, 10:19 PM
The logic just goes out the window here. Get used to it.

NQ6U
06-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I could never quite grasp the logic behind the hatred of the ARRL which exists in hamdom. I'd agree that they could certainly do some things better than they do but you could say that about pretty much any collective human endeavor. Any ham who fails to recognize that we need someone looking out for our interests in D.C. has not been paying attention to how things work in the real world.

W3WN
06-16-2013, 01:05 AM
OK, now I will readily admit that 30 seconds of that clip were more than enough for me, so if there's something later on in it I missed that's relevant, tell me about where to listen.

But to want to boycott the ARRL because of anything that twisted screwball says would be akin to refusing to drink Pepsi because he'd been seen buying a can of it to drink.

Bubba
06-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Did I miss something. Is the guy an ARRL representative ? I missed that I believe.

W3WN
06-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Did I miss something. Is the guy an ARRL representative ? I missed that I believe.AFAIK he is NOT.

ad4mg
06-16-2013, 04:49 AM
I could never quite grasp the logic behind the hatred of the ARRL which exists in hamdom. I'd agree that they could certainly do some things better than they do but you could say that about pretty much any collective human endeavor. Any ham who fails to recognize that we need someone looking out for our interests in D.C. has not been paying attention to how things work in the real world.

The ARRL forever lost my support with their ill-fated Winlink spectrum giveaway attempt, RM-11306. We can thank hams like Albert Schramm, W3MIV, and Skip Teller, KH6TY, for not having to dodge Winlink stations in the phone bands today. It was an epic battle, and I was proud to fight along side these two gentlemen.

N8YX
06-16-2013, 05:26 AM
The ARRL forever lost my support with their ill-fated Winlink spectrum giveaway attempt, RM-11306. We can thank hams like Albert Schramm, W3MIV, and Skip Teller, KH6TY, for not having to dodge Winlink stations in the phone bands today. It was an epic battle, and I was proud to fight along side these two gentlemen.

Besides the above, what did it for me was the eagerness which the League displayed in jumping on the DHS/FEMA grant-money bandwagon, and the insistence that affiliated clubs do same.

This is a Faustian bargain if ever there was one and I personally know of one area club whose implosion can be directly linked to its cozying up with the local FEMA director.

If you want to play at government comms, MARS participation or a spot at one of the alphabet agencies' operation facilities is a nice career path; I have a federal recruiter's contact information should anyone wish to inquire further. Otherwise...amateur radio has absolutely no place whatsoever in these shenanigans.

Bubba
06-16-2013, 06:07 AM
I kind of think of the ARRL as the IRS, something about them I just don’t trust... We need a representing body of the people...

KK4AMI
06-16-2013, 06:21 AM
ARRL...AARP...Representing Old Farts, too many similarities! :lol:

WN9HJW
06-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Deleted

W3WN
06-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh? I don't read it that way.

Asking KE5SOO to represent the League on Beck's show is NOT the same thing as Beck offficially representing the ARRL.

Let me put it this way...

If YOU were asked to represent the Island on a segment for Beck's show... yes, I know it wouldn't happen, and even if somehow it did, you wouldn't go, but this is speaking hypothetically... and you did so, would that then mean that Beck is a representative of the Island? Of course it wouldn't!!

That aside. for those of you that have a gripe with League policy -- and I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not (at least in the two examples shown above) -- consider this: If you walk away from the organization, you leave it in the hands of the schmucks who pull this kind of crap, and walk away from any voice to change it.

We need a major leadership change in Newington. There are more than a few too many people in the upper echelons who have been there way too long, who have become calcified in their thinking, set in their ways, and are too inflexible and unprepared for the future. They need (at least in some cases) to be thanked for their long years of service... but they need to go.

But we won't get that change until the Board of Directors gets enough backbone to do the jobs they were supposed to do, and oversee these turkeys -- which means replace them when it is due, and it is overdue. So the Board needs major overhaul. And that won't happen when too many Directors are more concerned with winning a popularity contest, or (as happened in the Atlantic Division in the last election) the opposition vote is fractured among too many other candidates, both the serious & the half-baked.

Everyone gripes. But how many of those griping are willing to do the work to make change happen? [sound of crickets chirping]

The ARRL is NOT the headquarters staff in Newington. It is all of us. Either we accept that, and DO SOMETHING to get things back on track... or stop griping. You can't have it both ways.

WN9HJW
06-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Deleted

WØTKX
06-16-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm fine with the ARRL, but have not been a member for a while. I'm considering returning.
QST is online now, there's LoTW, and I may join my ARES district for wildfires.

NQ6U
06-16-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm fine with the ARRL, but have not been a member for a while. I'm considering returning.
QST is online now, there's LoTW, and I may join my ARES district for wildfires.

There's a QST app for the iPad now that's a little slow on the download but otherwise pretty nifty. I've already downloaded and read the July issue and my dead tree version hasn't even arrived yet.

WØTKX
06-16-2013, 05:55 PM
That's my point, I don't want the dead tree version.

NQ6U
06-16-2013, 05:59 PM
That's my point, I don't want the dead tree version.

I got that, I was just letting you know that the electronic version is pretty good. I have the QST app on my iPhone too and while it works when there's no alternative, reading a magazine on that tiny screen is...sub-optimal, to say the least. The iPad version works great, though, it's almost as good as print. You can opt out of the print version now and I may do that eventually.

WØTKX
06-16-2013, 06:02 PM
As a ham radio guy, I don't need the extra clutter, eh?

NQ6U
06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
As a ham radio guy, I don't need the extra clutter, eh?

No chit, man. That's what's got me thinking that I may just forgo the print edition. You can easily carry a year of QST around on the iPad, although there's no real need to as long as the ARRL is still in business since members can download any back issue starting from mid-2012 for free as many times as you want.

WØTKX
06-16-2013, 07:24 PM
They should have started that long before 2012. I am very aware of the "select" articles and reviews from before then available for download. Still have a lot of them archived on a big hardrive dedicated to manuals and docs. There's a lot of Toyota service manuals on there too. :mrgreen:

WX7P
06-16-2013, 07:33 PM
They should have started that long before 2012. I am very aware of the "select" articles and reviews from before then available for download. Still have a lot of them archived on a big hardrive dedicated to manuals and docs. There's a lot of Toyota service manuals on there too. :mrgreen:

Got a 1998 Camry Service manual?

Bubba
06-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Oh? I don't read it that way.

Asking KE5SOO to represent the League on Beck's show is NOT the same thing as Beck offficially representing the ARRL.

Let me put it this way...

If YOU were asked to represent the Island on a segment for Beck's show... yes, I know it wouldn't happen, and even if somehow it did, you wouldn't go, but this is speaking hypothetically... and you did so, would that then mean that Beck is a representative of the Island? Of course it wouldn't!!

Mmmmm... While I always agree with what you say in principle as the fine ham you are. May I please ask you to re read what you wrote to be sure it even makes sense to you. lol...:lol: The above statement defies the logics of physics no matter how you spin it. It just makes no sense in any form based on the principles of logic. If WN9HJW was to represent the Island on Beck’s show, that would mean WN9HJW is a representative of the Island. If KE5SOO was asked to represent the ARRL, then KE5SOO would be a representative of the ARRL. Beck has nothing to do with it, he is an independent variable. It could be Beck, Mathews, Walters, Dodd or Bart Simpson, that has nothing to do with the primary relationship of the representative.

WØTKX
06-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Nope, my collection ends at 1984.

WX7P
06-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Nope, my collection ends at 1984.

Just crested 190,000 on the Camry. Just took it in and had the timing belt and front brakes done. It's a 3.0 motor and it runs great. The only problem with it was the drivers door handle broke inside the door. Whoppee.

I bought a 1984 Corolla in Klamath Falls that had 345,000 miles on it and everything worked. It cost me $200 because the college student who had it,rolled it in the snow and it was a little dented. Blew clean smog, in CA that's an achievement, and it ran great. I'll bet it's still running strong. The AC even worked!

Unfortunately, it had to go when we moved to Sac. Too many cars.

W3WN
06-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Huh? Nobody said anything about Glen Beck representing the ARRL. That's absurd.

The question was asked whether "Is the guy an ARRL representative ?" referring to ke5soo on the video. You said he wasn't as far as you knew. I posted an article that said that he was. Where you got the bizarre thought of "... Beck officially representing the ARRL" I have no idea.Then I misunderstood you, specifically in regards to whom you meant by "the guy"

I took "the guy" comment as indication that you meant Beck.

As far as KE5SOO, well, maybe the guy got suckered. And maybe he believes in Beck, who the hell knows? Regardless, he wasn't appointed by the Board or asked by the Hq staff to officially represent the League, so at most, he represents his Division or Section. But the whole League? Hardly.

And if the video indicates otherwise... consider the source. You expect reality, let alone truth, from that nut case? Or his paid staff? I certainly wouldn't.

The point remains that to blame the League or cast aspersions at the League because of anything said on that video, or by an individual who appears on that video, is ridiculous.

WN9HJW
06-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Deleted

X-Rated
06-17-2013, 06:39 AM
AFAIK he is NOT.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/HF6V/WaltMayfield_zps4bc73050.png

ki4itv
06-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Courting survivalist now, eh?
Well it is proof that the whacker courting didn't quite turn up the bodies they think we need.
This is my main problem with the ARRL. They will sell out the true believers for any, and I mean any, group with a pulse. In my opinion, flirting with the survivalist out there is a very, very dangerous move. Hell, half of them are pseudo anti government types and often rogue militia members. In the current political environment, I see this as a real gamble. If you want the Feds to strip our privileges; Then go ahead, align yourself with these types. As soon as the alphabet agencies notice the trend...we are through as a legal pastime.

Thank you ARRL. You're doing it again. :angry:

W3WN
06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
So what do we really have here, when all is said and done?

Someone from Beck's show arranged for someone to come on and talk about Amateur Radio.

So the League arranged for someone to do so.

I have yet to see any real evidence (as opposed to speculation) that they "sold out" to Beck, or "sold out" to survivalists or whackers. Let alone any endorsements of those positions.

(Surely you don't think that the guest being polite to the host(s) constitutes and endorsement. If you do, I won't stop calling you Shirley)

...and for the record, I don't by any means endorse Beck, survivialists, or whackers. And I agree that it would be dangerous for any legitimate organization to throw in their lot with some of these screwballs; I just don't see it in this case. And no, I don't read the SW division newsletter, and I'm not wasting another minute watching this boring video.

X-Rated
06-17-2013, 08:23 AM
What I see is that this SOO dude is apparently a representative of the ARRL. I see nothing in the West Gulf Division article that states anything else. It appears that there is linkage between the whackers, Glenn Beck, and survivalists. If you like it, that is the case. If you don't like it, that is the case. There are things about entities that I don't like even though I might like that entity. So I try my best not to deny the existence of the parts I don't like, but maybe I do. Is the Western Gulf division the dark side of the ARRL? How high does this complicity go?

Personally, I don't want "that kind" in the hobby. I would prefer the hobby die than to turn it over to the whackers. That's just me maybe.

KC2UGV
06-17-2013, 08:34 AM
If I were in charge of the ARRL media division, I would have kindly thanked Glenn for the offer, and then politely declined. Unless the ARRL is trying to build an image of whackerdom, and preppers.

WX7P
06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
If I were in charge of the ARRL media division, I would have kindly thanked Glenn for the offer, and then politely declined. Unless the ARRL is trying to build an image of whackerdom, and preppers.

There's enough weirdos in ham radio that it wouldn't surprise me if there are at least one or two Beck acolytes in the league power structure.

Cross section of the population, don't you know.

ki4itv
06-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Hahahahahaha!

Hey! Congratulations on the "promotion", Janet.
:lol:

KG4NEL
06-17-2013, 08:48 AM

This. All publicity, even for a hobby as out of the mainstream as ham radio is, is not always good publicity...

X-Rated
06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Hahahahahaha!

Hey! Congratulations on the "promotion", Janet.
:lol:

The Vader tune needs to go along with that. "I am your mother".

W2NAP
06-17-2013, 01:21 PM

they seem to like the wackerdom since they really do like to promote that orange vest 10 hts save the day stuff.

WØTKX
06-17-2013, 01:36 PM
AKA, Janet the Jaded. :rofl: