PDA

View Full Version : We all seem to like pets..so here is another pet thread.

KB3LAZ
06-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately one of my childhood pets passed away back in December. She was a 16 year old miniature poodle. Obviously I wasn't there to find out first had as my childhood pets live with my parents. It was expected after 16 years but my mother was devastated. Fast forward a few months-my mother called me up the other day in a frantic state. It seems that one of other other dogs had two seizures within a few hours. A vet appointment was made for Monday. I'm sure that a lot of things could have caused this but I am betting on age. He is an 11 year old boxer. That spells the end of his life time for his breed. Sadly, I fear that by the time I get home all of my furry brothers and sisters will be but a memory.

As I am an only child pets have been a big part of both mine and my parents life. They had me and furry babies and I had furry brothers and sisters. When Bud (our boxer) passes on my mother will be even more frantic. He really is her baby. However, over time, she will recover. What worries me is our three year old German Shepherd. The poodle was like her mother and she was not herself for a few weeks after her passing. When our boxer goes I fear she will be lost. Mom sent me some photos and Kerra (our Shep) has been babying our boxer.

My mother thinks that she will get another dog both for her sake and that of our other dog and I agree. However, the timing is what I question. Get a puppy now to lessen the loss for our Shepherd or wait? Wouldn't want our boxer to think he is being pushed aside either.

Mom will probably adopt a puppy from a local shelter. I think a puppy is the best option as our shepherd adapts well to puppies, kittens, rabbits, etc but for some reason does not adapt to adult animals well. Or people for that matter. (She is smart too. Will eat or chase off any critters that wonder into our yard. Dogs and cats included but if introduced into the household her she switches from hunting mode to acceptance. Ofc this has to due with instinct to some extent.)

Feeling bummed. I've missed my dogs for awhile and its likely I wont get to see them again. Well, Kerra yes but she is basically still a pup so that is an upside.

Any thoughts on the introduction (particularly the timing) of a new puppy?

n2ize
06-11-2013, 09:42 AM
I like pets but I don;t have the patience for dogs. I can deal with a cat but I prefer not to. I used to keep tropical fish and that I really enjoyed immensely. Matter of fact I am thinking of setting my tank back up.

KB3LAZ
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
I like pets but I don;t have the patience for dogs. I can deal with a cat but I prefer not to. I used to keep tropical fish and that I really enjoyed immensely. Matter of fact I am thinking of setting my tank back up.

I like most kind of animals. Fish too. I had a few salt tanks as a teen.

As for patience, I have more for dogs than I do for most people, lol.

I'm not sure how to advise my mom, I guess I will let my dad figure it out.