PDA

View Full Version : Next summer's motorcycle project

N2CHX
06-08-2013, 07:22 AM
I was thinking about trading the Ninjette up for a bigger bike... But after finding this I've decided I'm going to keep it, at least for another year or two.

http://www.ecotrons.com/Kawasaki_Ninja_250cc_EFI_kit.html

It's gotten great reviews and there is a lengthy discussion dedicated to it on Ninjette.org.

KG4CGC
06-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh cool. You going to weld a bung in your exhaust?

n2ize
06-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I was thinking about trading the Ninjette up for a bigger bike... But after finding this I've decided I'm going to keep it, at least for another year or two.

It's gotten great reviews and there is a lengthy discussion dedicated to it on Ninjette.org.

Get a real bike. Search around till you find something like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Indian_Chief_Black_Hawk_80_cubic_inch_1950.jpg/800px-Indian_Chief_Black_Hawk_80_cubic_inch_1950.jpg

N2CHX
06-08-2013, 11:28 AM

I will get someone else to do it :mrgreen:

NQ6U
06-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Hey! None of that sort of dirty talk in this forum!

KG4CGC
06-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Hey! None of that sort of dirty talk in this forum!

Because that sensor screws into that new bung.

KB3LAZ
06-08-2013, 12:30 PM

There seem to be a fair share of positive reviews on the Newer Ninja 300. Just food for thought when you decide to go the new route. In fact from what I read it gets favorable reviews when compared to the new CRB 500. The non ABS model is only a few hundred dollars more than the 250r. The ABS model is $1000 more than the 250r.

I was thinking about going this route when I get back. Though, for what Id use it for it would still be overkill. I like the little Zing 125 Darkside that I play with over here.

n2ize
06-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I want an electric motorcycle.

KG4CGC
06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Get a real bike. Search around till you find something like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Indian_Chief_Black_Hawk_80_cubic_inch_1950.jpg/800px-Indian_Chief_Black_Hawk_80_cubic_inch_1950.jpgDon' t you have a moped in the garage?

WØTKX
06-08-2013, 04:19 PM
He he has to fix the Peugeot before he's allowed to get an electric.

Or convert it to electric. ;)

W7XF
06-10-2013, 03:10 PM
I want the moonshine out of the gas!!!!!! I have EFI on my bike and the E-10 pumped here causes back-fire thru the throttle bodiies. Rode in Mexico for a day
trip, and had to buy some of Pemex's swill...bike ran like a champ. Mexico makes 93 octane primo unleaded with NO ethanol!

n2ize
06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Don't you have a moped in the garage?

Yeah, I got a vintage Peugeot from around 1978-79. It ran last time I tried it but it's in my parents garage and my Dad buried it under about 60 tons of lumber and assorted crap.. I think he did it deliberately because he loathes motorcycles or anything that resembles one and thinks anyone who rides one is insane. I assume it's still under there somewhere. But it will take at least a week or two of work just to get to it which I haven't had the time for. If I ever reach it again in my lifetime I am going to have to flush and clean the varnish from the gas tank and clean and spray out the carb before trying to start it. Fortunately I have the petcock closed so none of the stale varnish should have reached the motor. It will probably act like a smoke machine for a while when I do finally get it going again.

WØTKX
06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
On a future episode of American Pickers...

KG4CGC
06-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I want the moonshine out of the gas!!!!!! I have EFI on my bike and the E-10 pumped here causes back-fire thru the throttle bodiies. Rode in Mexico for a day
trip, and had to buy some of Pemex's swill...bike ran like a champ. Mexico makes 93 octane primo unleaded with NO ethanol!

Mexico doesn't subsidize Big Ag.

n2ize
06-15-2013, 12:00 AM

The moonshine in the gas also wreaks havoc with snow throwers, mowers, chain saws,leaf blowers, and trimmers. Seems that it corrodes the carburettors and causes cirrhosis of the insides of small engines. How convenient, you end up buying parts or replacing yard/farm tools more often. I say, put the moonshine into jugs for human consumption and spare the poor motors.

KG4CGC
06-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Startron and other products are gasoline additives for ethanol absorption, so to speak. An 8oz bottle of Startron treats 128 gallons of gas.

n2ize
06-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Startron and other products are gasoline additives for ethanol absorption, so to speak. An 8oz bottle of Startron treats 128 gallons of gas.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for these products.

n2ize
06-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Meanwhile... I don't want a pickle... I just want to ride my motorsickle.

VE7MGF
06-15-2013, 06:43 PM
i don't think it;s just the alcohol corroding the parts the alcohol attracts water then the water corrodes the small
channels in the carb

WØTKX
06-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Alcohol messes with seals and plastic parts sometimes, but not the metal so much.

KG4CGC
06-16-2013, 08:18 AM
We had this discussion adnauseum on the ruckus forum when a marine mechanic chimed in.
Yes to all of the above. Alcohol just resting on rubber parts is bad. Water absorbed into the alcohol resting on metal parts is bad too. In marine engines they are often stored for periods of time during the off season and the do it yourselfer or the guy who thinks the mechanic is trying to rip him off for storage prep will have a "world of hurt" the next season.
You will see commercials for Stabil. A petroleum product designed to go in the tank and used as part of the gas you run the last time you run your vehicle for the season. Lawnmower, bike, boat and etc. Whatever gas does these days that it didn't use to do in the past, it now will turn into a varnish coating inside fine points in your carbs and fuel injectors. Often, E-10 is really E-20. Don't ask me why. Maybe that's how it came out during the change over at the refinery or wherever they mix the fuel. Maybe the new guy made a mistake. Maybe the store selling it got a deal on it. Either way, while most cars and many bikes can run E-10, when you get into E-20, it really runs like shoit without either retuning or adding Startron to directly deal with it. Startron is an enzyme additive and I'm not a scientist to tell you how it works. It just does work when you need it to and also so you can remember not to go back to that gas station.
Some engines just can not be tuned to run well on E-20. It is what it is. Crap gas. You can design an engine to burn it just fine but fuel economy and power efficiency drops. I'd rather add 8% diesel and tune for that than run any alcohol at all.

N8YX
06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
You will see commercials for Stabil. A petroleum product designed to go in the tank and used as part of the gas you run the last time you run your vehicle for the season. Lawnmower, bike, boat and etc. Whatever gas does these days that it didn't use to do in the past, it now will turn into a varnish coating inside fine points in your carbs and fuel injectors.

Protip:

Use the Marine (blue) Sta-Bil instead of the red. I was a faithful user of the latter product for many years - until members of one of the bike boards I frequent began to report problems with the stuff. Namely, the particulates would come out of suspension and make a mess inside your carburetors. Of course, I scoffed at this until one of my Valkyries and 'DSG's Gold Wing were affected; this during a month-long layup in summer when we didn't get to ride the bikes in question. (Pulling the carbs off either motor, cleaning and reinstalling them is not a simple task. Plan to spend a full weekend doing it.)

Upon switching to the blue stuff we had no more plugged jets or dirty float bowls. When I'm doing a winter storage layup I completely drain the bowls and leave the drain screws open. That way, if a leaky petcock were to allow gas to run into the bowls it wouldn't continually evaporate and leave solids behind. A full tank of Sta-Bil treated gas will keep the tank from rusting.

The Concours are another matter entirely as they're in service all year round with the exception of snow, ice and maintenance layups. Any time during the winter months that their fuel tanks are filled completely, Marine Sta-Bil is added to them in a 1oz/5gal ratio. The tanks are also topped up if snow storms are forecast for the area, as it might be several weeks before the roads clear enough for the bikes to be ridden again.

KK4AMI
06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
A lot of boats have built-in fiberglass fuel tanks. I hear the alcohol eats up the tank. They sell 93 octane marine fuel without alcohol. Our local gas station started to carry Marine 93 octane fuel for high performance car owners that did not want to use alcohol additives. We put that stuff in our BMW.

WØTKX
06-16-2013, 06:01 PM
I dunno, I used to use a little bit of Seafoam. Worked for me. Don't park anything for that long anymore, even the Miata gets started and run once a month in the winter, or actually driven when there is no snow on the road.

W7XF
06-17-2013, 02:23 AM
I found some Startron, will add it at the next fill-up. As far as marine fuel... does not exist here in AZ. LImited gas stations carry 100 LL avgas, marked OFF ROAD USE ONLY , but the gas station will call the po-po if they see anyone put it into a street-legal vehicle (those stations are required to sell the avgas full-serve only, or have cameras all over those pumps)...but avgas has no moonshine in it (FAA doesn't permit ethanol). Moot point for most riders any more, as most bikes have cats on them.

KG4CGC
06-18-2013, 08:10 PM
I found some Startron, will add it at the next fill-up. As far as marine fuel... does not exist here in AZ. LImited gas stations carry 100 LL avgas, marked OFF ROAD USE ONLY , but the gas station will call the po-po if they see anyone put it into a street-legal vehicle (those stations are required to sell the avgas full-serve only, or have cameras all over those pumps)...but avgas has no moonshine in it (FAA doesn't permit ethanol). Moot point for most riders any more, as most bikes have cats on them.

My 50 has dual cats in the muffler and it's an '07. Everything Honda ships is designed to meet C.A.R.B. standards which, I believe, started in California. They even have very strict rules on muffler swaps in Cali.

NQ6U
06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
My 50 has dual cats in the muffler and it's an '07. Everything Honda ships is designed to meet C.A.R.B. standards which, I believe, started in California. They even have very strict rules on muffler swaps in Cali.

Yep. C.A.R.B. stands for California Air Resources Board. Powerful lot, them, not popular with the motorheads and really, really despised by the right-wingers.