PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday I couldn't spell E-N-G-I-N-E-E-R

koØm
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Today, I R one (inside joke from a 1970's Electronics R & D Lab).8)

A couple-of-3 days ago, a "Deluxe" fan used to push air around the room stopped working, it was late at night so, I didn't feel like making a trip outside to dispose of it. A few days passed and I decided to do something with it, on the way to the door, I passed a Phillips Screwdriver and the "Mister Fix-it" in me took over.

Next thing you know, the cage is over here and the fan blades are over there and, I'm sitting there with the motor in my hand. After having checked all connections and switches, I come to the conclusion that it's the damn "Pico" fuse that they use for protection. I cut the shrink fit tubing on the connections to the motor and there it is; needless to say, I don't have a replacement so, I cut it out and twist the wires together, apply electrical tape and re-assemble.

"Wha-Laa", almost. :doh:

After putting it back together and plugging it in, it takes off again a pushes air - BACKWARDS; the motor now spins in the opposite direction....:-?

I thought that maybe if I flipped the polarity of the AC plug going into the wall, the motor would go in the other direction.:shhh:

K7SGJ
06-07-2013, 07:03 PM

A couple-of-3 days ago, a "Deluxe" fan used to push air around the room stopped working, it was late at night so, I didn't feel like making a trip outside to dispose of it. A few days passed and I decided to do something with it, on the way to the door, I passed a Phillips Screwdriver and the "Mister Fix-it" in me took over.

Next thing you know, the cage is over here and the fan blades are over there and, I'm sitting there with the motor in my hand. After having checked all connections and switches, I come to the conclusion that it's the damn "Pico" fuse that they use for protection. I cut the shrink fit tubing on the connections to the motor and there it is; needless to say, I don't have a replacement so, I cut it out and twist the wires together, apply electrical tape and re-assemble.

After putting it back together and plugging it in, it takes off again a pushes air - BACKWARDS; the motor now spins in the opposite direction....:-?

I thought that maybe if I flipped the polarity of the AC plug going into the wall, the motor would go in the other direction.:shhh:

Move across the street and it'll be fine.

N1LAF
06-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Not knowing the fan, I will take a guess at the situation. The pico fuse as you call it could be a capacitor. If the capacitor blew open inside, the motor will stall. The capacitor with the second winding is what give the motor direction (phase shift). Bypassing the capacitor may reverse spin the motor.

koØm
06-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Not knowing the fan, I will take a guess at the situation. The pico fuse as you call it could be a capacitor. If the capacitor blew open inside, the motor will stall. The capacitor with the second winding is what give the motor direction (phase shift). Bypassing the capacitor may reverse spin the motor.

No doubt about the Start Capacitor on the motor, the fan seemed to also have another cap mounted in there.

Back in the late 80's - early 90's when it was profitable / possible to repair appliances, we stocked those devices; don't know about the capacitive value but in this case, bypassing it changed the rotation. This fan had been push out of the window by strong gust of wind and laid there spinning until it overheated and, *that* part failed. It saved the motor and prevented a possible conflagration; should have ended up in the dumpster but, I passed a screwdriver on the way out the door and, the rest is history.