PDA

View Full Version : Local kid gets famous....

KA9MOT
06-06-2013, 01:00 AM
.....for all the wrong reasons. You've probably seen him on the news.

Meet an acquaintance of mine Brandon KC9ILN (He's the one screaming like a girl). This video has left a lasting impression on his mom. May 31, 2013. Outside of El Reno, OK

http://youtu.be/veNJBosc6EA

KA9MOT
06-06-2013, 01:04 AM
And a funny addition:

N7YA
06-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Anyone care to guess who isnt getting the front seat next time?

N2CHX
06-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Well that was amusing. :p

N8YX
06-06-2013, 08:31 AM
At least one ham op was killed in that event.

WX7P
06-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I think the title of this thread should have been:

"Local boy (and friend) get stupid"

W3WN
06-06-2013, 08:47 AM
< snip >
(He's the one screaming like a girl).< snip > I'm not sure I'd insult girls like that.

N2CHX
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure I'd insult girls like that.

True enough. He really wasn't screaming at all anyway. I'd call it yelling like a douche.

WØTKX
06-06-2013, 10:26 AM
It was a bad and unusually powerful storm.

WJ0G, Tim Samaras, was killed along with his son and a fellow researcher...

In the crowded field and backroads of storm chasing, Coloradan Tim Samaras was a rarity — respected by academics and thrill-seekers alike for his contributions.

Samaras, 55, and his team — 24-year-old son Paul and meteorologist Carl Young, 45, of South Lake Tahoe, Calif. — were among 18 people killed Friday in Oklahoma when a massive tornado either took an erratic turn or spawned a smaller high-speed vortex along an unpredictable course, destroying their vehicle, experts said.

Read more:
Tornado chaser Tim Samaras contributed real science before his death - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23381485/tornado-chaser-tim-samaras-contributed-real-science-before#ixzz2VRyG78k3)http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23381485/tornado-chaser-tim-samaras-contributed-real-science-before#ixzz2VRyG78k3
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us:@Denverpost on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=drJey4bd8r3PGFab7jrHtB&u=Denverpost)|Denverpost on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=drJey4bd8r3PGFab7jrHtB&u=Denverpost)

http://kdvr.com/2013/06/02/colorado-storm-chaser-tim-samaras-killed-in-oklahoma-tornadoes/

Bennett resident Tim Samaras, 55, was reportedly killed when a tornado made a sudden turn that sent dozens of storm chasers and reporters scrambling for safety. His son, 24-year-old Paul Samaras, and friend Carl Young were also killed.“There’s a lot of people in shock in the storm chasing community, especially,” storm chaser Eric Treece told FOX31 Denver. “Tim was one of the safest, mostly highly regarded chasers in the game.”
Samaras starred on the Discovery Channel show “Storm Chasers” for three seasons. He was generally considered to be among the country’s leading experts in filming and imaging tornadoes.

He also holds the Guinness World Record for the greatest pressure drop ever measured inside a tornado, the Weather Channel reported. He designed, built, and deployed instrument probes to measure atmospheric variables such as pressure and wind in the path of tornadoes.

Samaras’s brother, Jim, posted a statement on Facebook Sunday:

“Thank you to everyone for the condolences. It truly is sad that we lost my great brother Tim and his great son, Paul. Our hearts also go out to the Carl Young family as well as they are feeling the same feelings we are today. They all unfortunately passed away but doing what they LOVED. … I look at it that he is in the ‘big tornado in the sky.’”

“I’m so proud of my brother,” Jim Samaras told FOX31 Denver.”If I had to have a way for my brother to die, it would be doing what he did.”

After the news broke Sunday, hundreds of storm chasers and weather spotters worked together to make the three victims’ initials appear on weather radar.

“There’s definitely a lesson because if what happened to Tim and Paul and Carl happened, it can happen to any one of us because Tim was one of the best ever,” Treece said.

http://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/samaras.jpg?w=627

KA9MOT
06-06-2013, 10:36 AM
It was a bad and unusually powerful storm.

WJ0G, Tim Samaras, was killed along with his son and a fellow researcher...

http://kdvr.com/2013/06/02/colorado-storm-chaser-tim-samaras-killed-in-oklahoma-tornadoes/

http://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/samaras.jpg?w=627

Yes, then there is Tim Samaras and his son, and chasing partner. What a sacrifice to the amateur radio as well as the scientific community. RIP Tim, Paul and Carl.

I used to watch Tim on Storm Chasers and would never have believed this could happen to him. Safety was a big concern for him.

X-Rated
06-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I think the title of this thread should have been:

"Local boy (and friend) get stupid"

Or, "Local boy acting as one would expect a downstate Illinoisan to act." :clap:

W3WN
06-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Yes, then there is Tim Samaras and his son, and chasing partner. What a sacrifice to the amateur radio as well as the scientific community. RIP Tim, Paul and Carl.

I used to watch Tim on Storm Chasers and would never have believed this could happen to him. Safety was a big concern for him.It is sad. But, they were in a dangerous profession, and there was always a risk that something like this would happen.

One can hope and pray that it won't. It did.

W2NAP
06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
It is sad. But, they were in a dangerous profession, and there was always a risk that something like this would happen.

One can hope and pray that it won't. It did.

honestly. tim was one of the safest chasers around. I have a feeling they died due to the insane amount of traffic on the roads didn't help ether dumb fucks in the media was telling people to get out of shelter get in a car and go south.

I seen some of the pics from the area with the roads clogged up like a Manhattan St. Suprised the death toll wasnt in the hundreds.

X-Rated
06-06-2013, 11:12 AM
honestly. tim was one of the safest chasers around. I have a feeling they died due to the insane amount of traffic on the roads didn't help ether dumb fucks in the media was telling people to get out of shelter get in a car and go south.

I seen some of the pics from the area with the roads clogged up like a Manhattan St. Suprised the death toll wasnt in the hundreds.

Truth. I just had to jab at the down staters. I was on the road one time with a tornado. It was in 1984 in western Kansas. The only traffic I had in the 55MPH highway zone at 80MPH was a highway patrolman going 90MPH.

W2NAP
06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Truth. I just had to jab at the down staters. I was on the road one time with a tornado. It was in 1984 in western Kansas. The only traffic I had in the 55MPH highway zone at 80MPH was a highway patrolman going 90MPH.

yeah. I see it time and time again. bad weather many idiots will go out to "check out the storm" don't matter if we are talking tornado or blizzard. everybody wants to be a chaser now and they go chase (thus in places like OKC roads get packed like NYC) thus those people who professionally chase Tim Samaras, Josh Wurman, ect. get caught up in bad situations they wouldnt put them self in. then add in the media telling people to get in the car and head south. now you have disaster.

n2ize
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
yeah. I see it time and time again. bad weather many idiots will go out to "check out the storm" don't matter if we are talking tornado or blizzard. everybody wants to be a chaser now and they go chase (thus in places like OKC roads get packed like NYC) thus those people who professionally chase Tim Samaras, Josh Wurman, ect. get caught up in bad situations they wouldnt put them self in. then add in the media telling people to get in the car and head south. now you have disaster.

Back when we used to have bliizzards here I would always go out and walkk through them. I love the feel of the cold wind, and the blinding blowing and drifting snow and that sensation of almost "drowning in snow".

I can get the tornado chasing thing. Sometimes you just got to let it go and put your life on the edge. It is almost like an ecstatic rush from a powerful drug. I would love to actually experience being in the center of a tornado vortex. Even if it means certain death it would be a kickass thrill to see what it's like inside the column of high velocity rotating air.

AE1PT
06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Young, stupid, and foolhardy.

KG4CGC
06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
So, when's this kid going to get his internet money?

W2NAP
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Back when we used to have bliizzards here I would always go out and walkk through them. I love the feel of the cold wind, and the blinding blowing and drifting snow and that sensation of almost "drowning in snow".

I can get the tornado chasing thing. Sometimes you just got to let it go and put your life on the edge. It is almost like an ecstatic rush from a powerful drug. I would love to actually experience being in the center of a tornado vortex. Even if it means certain death it would be a kickass thrill to see what it's like inside the column of high velocity rotating air.

if you got money. call Reed Timmer maybe for some cash he will let you ride with him.

prob I dont think is chasing. prob is being stupid doing it. like the "blizzard" we had this year. what happened dozens of dumbasses went driving around. end result was PD/FD having to go out and get these people.

n2ize
06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
if you got money. call Reed Timmer maybe for some cash he will let you ride with him.

prob I dont think is chasing. prob is being stupid doing it. like the "blizzard" we had this year. what happened dozens of dumbasses went driving around. end result was PD/FD having to go out and get these people.

I don't understand wh people take their vehicles out in the snow. Only vehicles I am talking out in a blizzard are either we well equiipped and reliable snow mobile or my own two feet and mayve a sttudy pair of snowshoes.

X-Rated
06-06-2013, 11:42 PM

I am certain it would have the excitement similar to jamming pencils up your nostrils.

n2ize
06-07-2013, 12:53 AM
I am certain it would have the excitement similar to jamming pencils up your nostrils.

The thrill of flirting with danger and death is a high that blows away any drug. And in the case of a twister that holds extra true ;)

Speaking off storm chasers are the ""Twister Sisters" still on TV ?? They were hot...weren't they ?

W3WN
06-07-2013, 07:12 AM
It is sad. But, they were in a dangerous profession, and there was always a risk that something like this would happen.

One can hope and pray that it won't. It did.honestly. tim was one of the safest chasers around. I have a feeling they died due to the insane amount of traffic on the roads didn't help ether dumb fucks in the media was telling people to get out of shelter get in a car and go south.

I seen some of the pics from the area with the roads clogged up like a Manhattan St. Suprised the death toll wasnt in the hundreds.Oh, I understand that.

Problem is, storm chasing has become "popular". There are more people doing it than ever, and most of them don't really know what they're doing or what they're in for. That there haven't been more fatalities may be due to
sheer dumb luck!

And as a result, the true experienced professional, who has planned appropriately and taken all of the proper precautions, has to work around the unexpected -- and then things like this happen.

X-Rated
06-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Speaking off storm chasers are the ""Twister Sisters" still on TV ?? They were hot...weren't they ?

http://www.twistersisters.com/images/NewHomePage/Home_01c.jpg

It looks like the penis is pointing down, so no.

K7SGJ
06-07-2013, 12:54 PM
The thrill of flirting with danger and death is a high that blows away any drug. And in the case of a twister that holds extra true ;)

I heard the twister sisters met the boner brothers, and the rest is history.

N7YA
06-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Im facinated by storms since living in tornado alley as a kid, but i hold them with caution and reverence. Posing like an idiot with big grins and a tornado several hundred yards behind them while peoples lives are destroyed is stupid and disrespectful in my opinion. Let experts do their job of learning about twisters so they can better prepare people for how to deal with them. If you chase because you have a reason to do so, even if its to follow behind and help those affected, then please do so and best of luck to you. If you chase because its "cool", then chances are good you will only get in the way and could cause more fatalities...possibly your own. People are dying, homes are being torn apart, this isnt a fucking tv show.

WX7P
06-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Im facinated by storms since living in tornado alley as a kid, but i hold them with caution and reverence. Posing like an idiot with big grins and a tornado several hundred yards behind them while peoples lives are destroyed is stupid and disrespectful in my opinion. Let experts do their job of learning about twisters so they can better prepare people for how to deal with them. If you chase because you have a reason to do so, even if its to follow behind and help those affected, then please do so and best of luck to you. If you chase because its "cool", then chances are good you will only get in the way and could cause more fatalities...possibly your own. People are dying, homes are being torn apart, this isnt a fucking tv show.

Bravo! :clap:

I agree completely.

Chasers looking for a thrill get in the way.

KG4CGC
06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
"This isn't a fucking TV show ..."
But it is and in the grand schematics, Earth is a galactic reality show that has parallels with the original MTV Real World. 20 years after I came up with this premise, South Park did an episode on it. I told everyone it was their documentary on the topic.

WØTKX
06-08-2013, 10:58 AM
http://i.qkme.me/35el75.jpg

koØm
06-08-2013, 11:33 AM
.....for all the wrong reasons. You've probably seen him on the news.

Meet an acquaintance of mine Brandon KC9ILN (He's the one screaming like a girl). This video has left a lasting impression on his mom. May 31, 2013. Outside of El Reno, OK

http://youtu.be/veNJBosc6EA

So, after seeing this video, the first thing that popped into my head was, "How are they going to explain this to the Auto Insurance Adjuster" and, do they really expect ANY insurance company (Life, Auto or, Property) to write them a policy after these "Darwin Award" winning antics?

KG4CGC
06-08-2013, 12:26 PM
So, after seeing this video, the first thing that popped into my head was, "How are they going to explain this to the Auto Insurance Adjuster" and, do they really expect ANY insurance company (Life, Auto or, Property) to write them a policy after these "Darwin Award" winning antics?

This is a good question especially concerning the non pros out there in their wanna be land. The real pros are out there putting down sensors and other equipment to do real science.

This brings us to the thread I started asking why they still build toothpick houses in known, tornado prone areas. It is far past time that these houses are built partially underground of something other that gingerbread panels. While this occurs, sensors that do nothing but collect weather data can be placed on top of these dwellings. It would be a win win for everyone.