PDA

View Full Version : Just what I needed...

W3WN
06-03-2013, 11:25 AM
So, I'm walking around the Breezeshooter's Hamfest yesterday morning, shortly after W3WH & I arrived. Quite a few bargains around, though nothing I really needed... or if I needed, didn't have the shekels.

Scored a "free" DVD/VCR unit. If it works, it goes in the basement to replace the broken VCR there, if not, well, nothing lost. That person also had an old GLA-1000 that had seen better days in the back of his car... guy next to me asked about it, was told it was in unknown condition, but that everything was there, he had extra tubes... and the guy got it for $25. *sigh* That's what I get for not asking soon enough. (Yes, I have a picture of it, I'll add that tonight from home)

Found someone with an unopened "student/faculty" copy of Vista Professional. With the MS registraton code. $1. If THAT works, I can update W3WH's old laptop from the bootleg copy of XP that the software house put on it.

Discovered an older B&W 3 antenna switch. $5. Can always use those.

But the real bargain of the day... an intact Heathkit Twoer. Clearly had seen better days, the knobs are showing some need of cleaning, and the plastic Heath logo was partially broken (easily fixed) . That's OK though... the face of it had only one minor mod (FT-243 crystal holder on the front). More importantly, the case was NOT hacked up. It looked intact. Not perfect, it will need a little touch-up paint...

The Twoer was listed for $5. I got it for $3. Considering the condition of the case, I couldn't pass this up!

So, now I have FOUR of the little guys in the garage. One is definitely a parts rig, and the other three could all be restored. Between the four of them, I now have enough (in terms of "unobtanium" or authentic parts) to restore one for certain.

Why? Purely for nostalgia. No other reason.

Once I get that done, I'll have to figure out what to do with the rest. If I restore two, one will go on sale somewhere to recoup costs. I'm considering for now keeping the remaining "parts" rigs and using the cases, in one form or another, for future projects. But that's down the road aways.

Oh, and on an unrelated note... this is not to rag on a certain former inhabitant of our fair shores, but just FYI... yes, Mr. Know-It-All, the VE of choice in Groundhog Land, put in an appearance. Bought a couple of things from K3AIR. Looked right at me a couple of times, either he didn't recognize me or chose to ignore me. To be honest, I was just as happy that he said nothing to me. He wouldn't have liked my response...

N8YX
06-12-2013, 05:46 AM
And he's still banned.

X-Rated
06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
I heard N7YA band as well.

wa6mhz
06-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Congrats on the TWOER! That is why I wound up with 25 of them. Buy them with good parts to make PERFECT ones. So I have several PERFECT virgin pairs, and ALOT of trashed thrashed JUNKERS! (but they ALL work!) Some have been converted for PTT.

W3WN
06-12-2013, 09:16 PM
And he's still banned.Which is why I didn't say a single word to him. Why open a can of worms?

Anyway, I never did post a picture of that GLA-1000, so...

Now, I spotted this guy inside one of the buildings. I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

KG4CGC
06-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Now, I spotted this guy inside one of the buildings. I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

Tesla wireless powered wheelchair.

koØm
06-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Tesla wireless powered wheelchair.

Looks like a "Godfather" CB antenna minus the stinger.