PDA

View Full Version : Fr. Andrew Greeley dead at 85

AE1PT
06-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I learned today that Fr. Greeley had died on 5/29. Scanning through my trash bin and looking over the 'news' for several days after this it's not hard to understand why I had not seen any news of it--Arias and Zimmerman are hot items, Jackson is exhumed in the press, Republicans are outraged about something, and Hollywood bimbos are waltzing their various dysfunctional personalities about.

Father who you say? Although I might find it hard to believe that any liberal of above average intelligence had not encountered him somewhere--I suppose that might be the case. A complex man who made a reputation as a scholar of the sociology of religion--Greeley was a prolific writer and critic of the Church who churned out populist novels and sociological treatises that maddened US diocese and disconcerted the Vatican. His sociological works are standard reading at the graduate level in several social science disciplines. Some will remember his op-ed newspaper columns, always biting and insightful commentary. Of all the things that can ever be said about him, not knowing where he stood on anything was not one of them.

So long Father Andrew...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/andrew-m-greeley-iconoclastic-priest-and-author-dies-at-85/2013/05/30/3cb18458-c937-11e2-8da7-d274bc611a47_story.html

N2NH
06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
RIP. Must've been trouble as far as the church was concerned. They never mentioned him.

From the link you gave, he sounds like an alright guy. They should've listened to him more.