PDA

View Full Version : Experiences/thoughts on KX1?

KU0DM
06-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm looking at buying a QRP rig because 100 watts just ain't fun anymore. The Elecraft KX1 is what I'm leaning towards at the moment due to it's size and meager power requirements that would make traveling trails or internationally with it a breeze. However I've never owned an Elecraft, let alone built a kit. Does anyone have any experience with the above, and thoughts or recommendations?

NA4BH
06-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Damn, Duncan, I had the BAN HAMMER swinging. How the HELL have you been? Unless this isn't you.

NQ6U
06-02-2013, 09:54 PM
No experience with the KX1 but I've had the opportunity to spend a couple of afternoons with a friend's K3. Only one word for the receiver on that rig: Awesome. I think that Elecraft executes everything they do very well and that you could not go too far wrong with anything they sell.

KU0DM
06-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Damn, Duncan, I had the BAN HAMMER swinging. How the HELL have you been? Unless this isn't you.

Immersing myself in the hobby after a brief hiatus! I graduated high school three weeks ago, and haven't looked back. It's great being able to operate with regularity again; everyone's warnings of the inherent distraction high school is were correct. I'll be headed up to KU in a little under three months to study Civil Engineering and Spanish, but more importantly YLs and the K0KU club station. :mrgreen:

KU0DM
06-02-2013, 10:09 PM
No experience with the KX1 but I've had the opportunity to spend a couple of afternoons with a friend's K3. Only one word for the receiver on that rig: Awesome. I think that Elecraft executes everything they do very well and that you could not go too far wrong with anything they sell.

I've picked that up, that was my general rationale for leaning Elecraft to begin with. The KX3 would be a pretty sweet rig as far as QRP goes, but it's a little pricey and just enough bulkier than the KX1. Wouldn't mind having one if I had the money to burn and already had a K3. :chin:

K7SGJ
06-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Immersing myself in the hobby after a brief hiatus! I graduated high school three weeks ago, and haven't looked back. It's great being able to operate with regularity again; everyone's warnings of the inherent distraction high school is were correct. I'll be headed up to KU in a little under three months to study Civil Engineering and Spanish, but more importantly YLs and the K0KU club station. :mrgreen:

Congrats on your graduation. Glad to hear you are operating with regularity again. Constipation is soooo uncomfortable.

KG4NEL
06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I've had a K2, used a K3 during Field Day, seen how a friend's K1 does during FD on 20 CW. Would love to own something Elecraft again - the K2 was just too limited to be my only rig, and even on the other side of college the K3 is still out of my price range.

I'll be headed up to KU in a little under three months to study Civil Engineering and Spanish, but more importantly YLs and the K0KU club station.

I can tell you from experience, the first usually gets prioritized over the latter :-D My school's ham club had a bad habit of meeting on Thursday nights, which happened to be the best party night off campus. I think I went to the club shack once.