PDA

View Full Version : Dominion Virginia Power - TV remote controls use RF ?

WN9HJW
06-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Deleted

N2CHX
06-01-2013, 06:29 AM
New Smart Meters Concern Some Dominion Customers (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/New-Smart-Meters-Concern-Some-Dominion-Customers-209740511.html)

From the article:

That would be a neat trick. Almost all TV remote controls are infrared, not radio.

I've never even heard of an RF TV remote. WTF?

But of course, the uninformed public is easily duped.

NQ6U
06-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Most remote control devices do work using infrared. The remote control for the ceiling fan right above me as I type this does use RF, though, as does the one on the portable A/C unit in the bedroom.

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Most are infrared. A number are available with RF.
Many cable set top boxes use RF. True story.
Typically advertised as "point anywhere".

Now, as long as you're here, and as an ex Shackled Minion...

Are you satisfied with your cell phone and carrier? :evil:

KG4CGC
06-01-2013, 10:29 AM
In Texas, utility workers were chased away at gunpoint because they people there think it's a privacy invasion issue. Virginia, ''radiation.'' Best thing to tell all these people is to take their beds off their frames and put them flat on the floor. They need to take the doors off their closets too.

KJ3N
06-01-2013, 10:33 AM
In Texas, utility workers were chased away at gunpoint because they people there think it's a privacy invasion issue.

There's a lot of bat-shit crazy in Tex-Ass. :roll:

NQ6U
06-01-2013, 10:47 AM
There are significant advantages to RF remote controls—not requiring a direct line of sight to the device being the main one. There are some disadvantages as well, mainly interference issues especially here in San Diego where the Navy often uses high powered transmissions in the same band that many RF remote control devices operate. Sometimes the remote unlock on the XYL's car won't work for days on end, other times the light on the ceiling fan goes on or off all on it's own.

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 11:16 AM
It's the Ghost of Ayn Rand attacking, you damned collectivist.

KG4NEL
06-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Hand me another KFC Double Down while I write my senator about the health effects of RF radiation.

KG4NEL
06-01-2013, 01:58 PM
It's the Ghost of Ayn Rand attacking, you damned collectivist.

Maybe if the ceiling fan blew up rather than compromise its ideals of sitting there and spinning...after all, the comforting results of moving air will be felt by anyone in the room regardless of if they paid for it or not.

KC2UGV
06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Hand me another KFC Double Down while I write my senator about the health effects of RF radiation.

ROFL

:lol:

K7SGJ
06-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Our Sat receiver uses both IR and RF. The IR is for the 1st receiver that is used with the TV in the same room, and the RF works the second receiver which operates the 2nd receiver from anywhere in the house. Naturally, the TV near the Sat receiver de-senses the it and limits the RF range to a few inches; but when using a remote TV and the one in the family room is off, it works great. Like anyone gives a shit about my TV equipment.

WX7P
06-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Our Sat receiver uses both IR and RF. The IR is for the 1st receiver that is used with the TV in the same room, and the RF works the second receiver which operates the 2nd receiver from anywhere in the house. Naturally, the TV near the Sat receiver de-senses the it and limits the RF range to a few inches; but when using a remote TV and the one in the family room is off, it works great. Like anyone gives a shit about my TV equipment.

You have a terristrial dish, Senor Rata? I had a 10' Winegard back in the wild west days with a hot lnb. Got to see Dick Enberg melt down during commercial breaks and all kind of other weird stuff. Later, I saw the First Iraq war happen on CNN's feed, before they showed it. That was fun. Mine had an IR remote.

K7SGJ
06-01-2013, 05:18 PM
You have a terristrial dish, Senor Rata? I had a 10' Winegard back in the wild west days with a hot lnb. Got to see Dick Enberg melt down during commercial breaks and all kind of other weird stuff. Later, I saw the First Iraq war happen on CNN's feed, before they showed it. That was fun. Mine had an IR remote.

Yes, I, too, had 10" TVRO dish with a Drake receiver. It had IR and RF as well. The RF one never did work, but was not a problem. I really enjoyed being able to go to any bird and watch whatever. There was (is) a lot of FTA stuff out there that is interesting, too. But alas, a rather large storm came through and destroyed the thing. I now use the 4" pipe, anchored in 2 1/2 cubic feet of concrete for a support for my flag pole

n2ize
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM
All this "anti-smart meter" crap is the result of ignorance. Most people hear the words "rf radiation" and they automatically think of ionizing nuclear radiation, Chernobyl, etc. In addition they have been spread FUD by people like Alex Jones on the right and groups like Greenpeace on the left. They don't have any actual understanding of radio signals and how rf devices work or studies that failed to show any link between low level wireless devices and health issues. So their only source of "trustworthy" info comes from fear mongers and conspiracy theorists.