PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my broken Zoom Zoom.

WØTKX
05-31-2013, 10:29 PM
So, about two weeks ago, the number three plug popped right out of the Miata. There were remains of JB Weld or something similar on the threads. The previous owner boogered it up, and did not disclose. Some of the things he talked about now seem really suspicious. :doh:

I checked into the options, considered pulling the head... because it's my "nice car". I have used helicoils in the past on motorcycles and an older GM V8, but I wasn't too sure about helicoils... worried about messing up a favorite vehicle. And the V8 head was pulled off the car to do the work...

Did some research, and all the motorheads (Miata or otherwise, including aircraft) talked in glowing terms about the Time-Sert product. Expensive, but actually recommended to use on aluminum heads that are going to be race prepped, even if the threads are fine. So, I popped for the for their system and got me a couple of the inserts, at $3.19 each. But the tool is expensive, freaking $194 because of the deep reach into the head. :irked:

Studied and followed the procedure, taking care to capture most of the aluminum chips with grease and then vacuuming out the cylinder to get the last of them. Got 'er done in about 40 minutes. Much better than the helicoil methods. Very impressed. Zoom Zoom is zooming again! :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ntiy8L97Nco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ntiy8L97Nco

KG4CGC
05-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Now that you're race prepped, you should check out some of the fine products at CorSport.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=244_247&sort=2a&page=all

Of course, you can just walk right in and ask for Patrick. Tell him Swol sent ya!

K7SGJ
05-31-2013, 11:29 PM
I've used inserts like that made by a company named Kar, but I didn't know they were availale for that application. Neat

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Yea, I want to build the Miata someday. Maybe supercharge it.
But next, I have a hatched head gasket to do on the Previa.

That's gonna be a booger.

KG4CGC
06-01-2013, 12:38 AM
I can just imagine your avatar, top down in a supercharged Miata. !

n2ize
06-01-2013, 01:01 AM
h. But the tool is expensive, freaking $194 because of the deep reach into the head. :irked:

don't feel too bad. I just paid $259.95 for a 250 page textbook. :irked:

K7SGJ
06-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Yea, I want to build the Miata someday. Maybe supercharge it.
But next, I have a hatched head gasket to do on the Previa.

That's gonna be a booger.

I hate doing those. I had a 4.0L in a Jeep that I replaced the head gasket in, three time. The first two were with after market gaskets, which didn't last 100 miles. Then I put in an OEM gasket, and put another 50k miles on it before I sold it. One of the guys I used to work with said he had the same issue with his Jeep. The two of mine, blew at the same place; on the side near the number 6 piston. I've changed a lot of head gaskets over the years, and never had a problem with after market gaskets. I have no idea what the hell the design or manufacturing problem was, but from then on, I decided to use only OEM. Although they cost more, considering the he time and trouble to do it over, it makes it well worth the extra bucks.At least for me, anyway.

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I have never done the 4.0 6 in line. Isn't that an iron head?

Done a lot of head gaskets on Toyota 20R and 22R blocks. The aluminum head to block thing can be a bitch. Better than OEM heads with special gasket goops have been pretty successful for me. My last 22R was in an old 4 runner that was a mess, left in pieces in somebody's garage. Mostly from the head gasket, but they goobered three of the head bolts... as in snapped 'em. A friend's teenage kids :shock:

I got it for free, and over a few months managed to extract two bolts, and drill/retap the last one.

Then put another 87K on the 4Runner before selling it.

KA9MOT
06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm familiar with Time-Sert. A good product.

Sounds like you have a little Coyote in your future:

Still Ford (like your Mazda) and it will go fast! Surprisingly, there is allot of V8 conversion information for the Miata. It seems to be a popular option.

The engine pictured is an Edelbrock Crate engine http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/crate_engines/ford_5.0-coyote.shtml. I just picked it because it was pretty, 700HP and expensive.

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm not interested in changing the 53/47 weight distribution in the Miata.

Handling uber power.

KA9MOT
06-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Handling uber power.

I've never done one. I won't fit in a Miata, so I've never driven one. I am no expert. However, This guy claims "Handling, Strength and Reliability will not be compromised." http://monstermiata.webs.com/

I was just pointing out an option.... you could have a Lamborghini slayer. :)

NQ6U
06-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Handling uber power.

Be fun to throw that sucker into the XYL's Lincoln Mk Vlll, though...

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Well, maybe. My evil dreams of hot rodding would be a Buick GNX in an Opel Manta "A".

Supercharging a Miata with a beefed up transaxle would be pretty cool too. I've driven one.

240 hp to the wheels, only 130 lbs heavier, 48/52 change on the weight. Smokin'!

NQ6U
06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
The Mk Vlll has potential. Needs moar power, less weight and to lose that stupid airbag suspension, though. There are ways to accomplish all three of those things.

KG4NEL
06-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Weight distribution, pfft...

Then again, my dream project car is an air-cooled 911... :hyper:

K7SGJ
06-01-2013, 02:53 PM
The Mk Vlll has potential. Needs moar power, less weight and to lose that stupid airbag suspension, though. There are ways to accomplish all three of those things.

That air bag under her car is not for suspension, it's there for the safety of any pedestrians she should plow down.

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 03:36 PM
The YL's Eddie Bauer AWD Explorer has that damn airbag suspension. It slowly sinks down when you park it, while farting.
Goes great with the Joisy Goil style fake leopard seat covers. :lol: