PDA

View Full Version : Rice dishes.

KB3LAZ
05-31-2013, 08:17 PM
So, not being fond of many seafood's I have made rice my go to dish here in Spain. Whereas I do like some seafood such as shrimp, squid, and octopus I do not like fish, mussels, clams, oysters, etc.

Another reason I have taken up rice is that it is filling and that it can be made with anything. I particularly like it because the beef in Alicante is absolute scrap. So, I improvise.

My favorite dish to make is more or less Arroz con secreto (de cerdo) y setas.

So, what exactly is it? More or less it is a Paellea style Alicantina arrocito (small rice). True Paella comes from Valencia rather than Alicante and therefore other rice is called arrocito.

Anyway, it is rice (bomba is the go to choice but any round rice will work), mushrooms (I prefer portobello), runner beans, butter beans, and beef stock.

Ingredients
rice
secreto de cerdo (pork serlion or pork shoulder.)
butter beans
portobello mushrooms
runner beans (green beans will work in a pinch)
onion
garlic
olive oil
cumin
salt
pepper
liquid beef stock
no sugar added tomato sauce

How to make it.

First you start with a Paella pan. Not using such is sacrilegious. If you do not have one an omelette pan or wok are decent substitutes. If you dont have either of those just use what you have. ;) It wont be correct but it will still taste good.

Boil your beans in 1 liter of beef stock and set aside.

Layer the bottom of the pan with olive oil and heat on high until it starts to crack. Add in diced garlic (2 cloves), diced onion (half an onion), and 10 medium sized portobello mushrooms (quartered). Cook until caramelized. Remove everything and add 1 pound pork (cubed) and cook (still on high heat) until browned. Remove your pork. Add three cups of rice, stir for 2 minutes and add 6 ounces of tomato sauce. Stir once more until the rice is covered. Add your beef stock (about 6 cups), a pinch of salt and pepper, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Wait for your rice to boil. Once it starts to boil back the heat down to medium and let cook for about 20 minutes or until all water is gone. Turn of the rice, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes. If done correct the rice on the bottom should be a nice thick crust. It should be browned but not burnt.

Such rice goes well with a small scoop of homemade garlic mayo mixed in. This is on your own plate. The scoop should be about one table spoon. Or you can use lemon. Or nothing for that matter. It is up to you.

So, what kind of rice dishes do you like?

koØm
05-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Oriental ones.

Back to your first sentence, "Yo no se"; I thought that it was only safe to eat seafood in months that don't have an "R" in the spelling - What's wrong with May?

Interesting looking recipe but, it certainly isn't "Kosher".

KB3LAZ
05-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Oriental ones.

Back to your first sentence, "Yo no se"; I thought that it was only safe to eat seafood in months that don't have an "R" in the spelling - What's wrong with May?

Was supposed to say "many". No, its not Kosher, lol. And I too like oriental rice dishes.

NQ6U
05-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Oriental ones.

You got it backwards, it's safe in months with an R in the name. But that only applies to shellfish.

WØTKX
05-31-2013, 10:37 PM
I love rice in almost anything, especially brown rice. I love all seafood, and you have great mackerel over there. :neener:

If I had to choose, I'd say sushi tends to be my favorite rice dish.

KG4CGC
05-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Beans and cornbread
(and a little bit o rice)
Beans and cornbread
(add some spice)
Beans and cornbread
(it's so nice)
Beans and cornbread
(beans and cornbread)

NA4BH
05-31-2013, 11:31 PM
You got it backwards, it's safe in months with an R in the name. But that only applies to shellfish.

Oysters are only safe in "R" months. Supposedly

Shellfish are good all year long.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Beans and cornbread
(and a little bit o rice)
Beans and cornbread
(add some spice)
Beans and cornbread
(it's so nice)
Beans and cornbread
(beans and cornbread)

Yum! I think Ill make some cornbread today. Thanks for the idea.

WX7P
06-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Forgot that factoid the last time I was in Puerto Vallarta in July. The seafood was extremely tasty, but Moctezuma definitely got his revenge. First and only time I ever got sick in Latin America.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Forgot that factoid the last time I was in Puerto Vallarta in July. The seafood was extremely tasty, but Moctezuma definitely got his revenge. First and only time I ever got sick in Latin America.

I love going out to tapa bars here but I wont do so in the summer. Much of the food sits out under glass cases and much of it is either seafood or mayo based. Often times the glass cases are not properly cooled if at all. I had food poisoning before, not fun!

WØTKX
06-01-2013, 12:01 PM
http://youtu.be/2XFYe6WR7zU

http://youtu.be/2XFYe6WR7zU

KG4CGC
06-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Gimmie some tobiko and ikura on top of a blop of rice with a touch of soy and ginger and I'll sit content for a while.