PDA

View Full Version : Music Practice.

n2ize
05-31-2013, 07:26 PM
Yes, with regards to music there is indeed such a thing as over practice. Basically practicing to the point where you are beginning to experience physical and mental fatigue. You start making mistakes where you normally do not and you start to stagnate with regards to learning as opposed to making forward progress. as a rule for every hour I practice I give myself a 15-30 minute break where I put the instrument down and go and do something else.

Then there are those times where I seem to get so enthusiastic and I am playing well and having so much fun that I cannot put the instrument down. I keep telling myself, "that's enough, when i finish playing this piece I'm packing it up for the night". I'll put the instrument down only to find myself playing the same piece or another piece over again 5 minutes later with just as much enthusiasm as before.. Sometimes you just can't stop playing.

N2NH
05-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, with regards to music there is indeed such a thing as over practice. Basically practicing to the point where you are beginning to experience physical and mental fatigue. You start making mistakes where you normally do not and you start to stagnate with regards to learning as opposed to making forward progress. as a rule for every hour I practice I give myself a 15-30 minute break where I put the instrument down and go and do something else.

Then there are those times where I seem to get so enthusiastic and I am playing well and having so much fun that I cannot put the instrument down. I keep telling myself, "that's enough, when i finish playing this piece I'm packing it up for the night". I'll put the instrument down only to find myself playing the same piece or another piece over again 5 minutes later with just as much enthusiasm as before.. Sometimes you just can't stop playing.

Is that playing by or with?

n2ize
05-31-2013, 10:28 PM

I don't get your question. I am talking about solo practice at home, anything from advanced technique exercises, practice etudes as well as playing actual orchestral pieces and/or solo's. We do full orchestra rehearsals every week for about 2-3hrs with a 15 minute break but that is a different matter and never leads to over practice.

w2amr
06-07-2013, 03:51 AM
awww geez.:snicker:

WØTKX
06-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Yea, I got that stupid reference from the tin foil hat dude.

Same thing happens with skiing for me. If I don't take time off from practicing fundamentals and just "play", I get stuck... Even regress and feel out of the groove. Then it's time to go snowshoeing or something else, leave it alone and come back to it.

N7YA
06-14-2013, 06:48 PM
I dont practice scales or anything, per se, but i sometimes sit down at the computer after working on new material and just have fun playing to some Stevie Wonder or Ohio Players or something. Just to keep the funk chops up and have fun. Thats what music is about. However, im due for some original music exploration.