PDA

View Full Version : November One Seven Seven Echo Gulf you're clear for straight in approach

K7SGJ
05-31-2013, 09:36 AM
OOOOOPS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/small-plane-crashes-into-garden-apartment-in-herndon/2013/05/31/6af063b8-c9d5-11e2-8da7-d274bc611a47_story.html

NQ6U
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Back in my flying days, I always used to hate it when that happened.

(BTW, Eddie, ATC always drops the "November". Since all US aircraft reg numbers begin with "N", it's a given and to save time, they generally only use the last three characters after the pilot checks in for the first time. So, it would have been "Seven echo golf, you're clear for straight in approach.")

N2NH
05-31-2013, 11:01 AM
OOOOOPS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/small-plane-crashes-into-garden-apartment-in-herndon/2013/05/31/6af063b8-c9d5-11e2-8da7-d274bc611a47_story.html

Soooo close, but no seegar. Well, any landing you can walk away from...

WX7P
05-31-2013, 11:33 AM

(BTW, Eddie, ATC always drops the "November". Since all US aircraft reg numbers begin with "N", it's a given and to save time, they generally only use the last three characters after the pilot checks in for the first time. So, it would have been "Seven echo golf, you're clear for straight in approach.")

What did you fly?

My friend in CA has a 182 and I've been all over the state in that thing.

Flying out of Sac Executive Airport in a windstorm was a real adventure.

NQ6U
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Well, I learned in a Taylorcraft L-2:

http://www.warbirdalley.com/images/L2-N50113-1.jpg

but I few a number of different airplanes. My favorite was a Bellanca Decathlon. Haven't flown in almost 30 years, though. Too expensive.

KG4NEL
05-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Used to work in Herndon.

work for an aerial photography company and had been taking infrared photographs

Suuuure... :cool2:

N2NH
05-31-2013, 12:39 PM
I wonder if Rudy sold him his used APU? Shoulda told him it was for a heliocopter...

K7SGJ
05-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Jezzzus. Shortly after the original post, we had a mid air near the house. All four died.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/2-small-planes-crash-near-Carefree-Highway-and-New-River-Road-209686941.html

NA4BH
05-31-2013, 03:17 PM
What are you doing to these planes Eddie?

KJ3N
05-31-2013, 03:21 PM
What are you doing to these planes Eddie?

Throwing tacos at them. Hello.

WX7P
05-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Well, I learned in a Taylorcraft L-2:

http://www.warbirdalley.com/images/L2-N50113-1.jpg

but I few a number of different airplanes. My favorite was a Bellanca Decathlon. Haven't flown in almost 30 years, though. Too expensive.

Got that right.

Sarah took flying lesson in Klamath, but we had to suspend that after the move.

My friend just took his plane in for the annual, nothing wrong, but it was still $1500.

n2ize
05-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, at least nobody got killed.

I always wanted to learn to fly a helicopter. maybe I can get in touch with Rudy one of these days. ;)

K7SGJ
05-31-2013, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I know about the last three, sometimes two, but I had all that room in the header and didn't want to waste it. I enjoy listening in to ATC approach and departure. It's amazing how some of the radios in the planes sound very nice, and some sound like a tin can on a string.

NQ6U
05-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I know about the last three, sometimes two, but I had all that room in the header and didn't want to waste it. I enjoy listening in to ATC approach and departure. It's amazing how some of the radios in the planes sound very nice, and some sound like a tin can on a string.

My former brother-in-law was an ATC. He told me that if I were to ever buy an airplane of my own to put a Collins radio in it. He said that pilots with clear transmissions that are easy for the ATC to understand will get preferential treatment over one with a cheap radio that sounds like crap.

n2ize
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
My former brother-in-law was an ATC. He told me that if I were to ever buy an airplane of my own to put a Collins radio in it. He said that pilots with clear transmissions that are easy for the ATC to understand will get preferential treatment over one with a cheap radio that sounds like crap.

Nothing like a plane equipped with a Collins KW-1 transmitter and a R390 receiver. ;)

I remember being on 75 meter AM one afternoon and a station joined our round table. it was an aeronautical "mobile". The ham/pilot was flying a cargo plane down the east coast and decided to join our qso. he signed odd when he got into the high air traffic zone down here in the general metro area,

I also used to occasionally used to speak with the Captain of a barge on vhf from time to time. he would jump in on the local repeaters when he was sailing through the area. One afternoon I was speaking with him and a ham/teacher with a whole bunch of young kids in the class came on frequency as the teacher was giving a demo of radio. Naturally all the kids were excited to actually get a chance to talk to a real sea captain, and over a real two way radio. The ol' captain was busy for quite a while saying hello to all the kids and answering questions about what it's like to be a captain and the kind of boat he was running, etc. Sure beat the usual QSO's with a bunch of aging hams talking about what new medicines their doctor prescribed to them. It was great to hear a group of young people learning new things about ships, ship navigation and radio.