PDA

View Full Version : These would make a nice radio shack.

KB3LAZ
05-29-2013, 07:47 PM
http://hilltopstructures.com/site/cab.htm

Was looking at random things on the net and came across this link. I was thinking that this could be an interesting shack and small library. :D Just need to add electricity and some form of heating. Then again...its kind of like having a dog house. Piss the wife off and Id be sleeping in the log radio cabin, lol.

W3WN
05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, they would actually.

Paul N0VLR did just this... he had a small 'mini-country-barn' shed (I want to say 8 feet wide, 8 feet high, 10 feet long) next to his house that he used as his shack. Once you put in a decent floor, insulated the walls, and wired it... it could be really, really nice.

I don't know about the ones you spotted, but you'll find a lot of places make these. 84 Lumber used to sell them in kit form (not as fancy, of course) for about $400 and up, depending on size.

Suffice to say, if you're going to build an actual out-building ham shack, you could do worse!

KB3LAZ
05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes, they would actually.

Paul N0VLR did just this... he had a small 'mini-country-barn' shed (I want to say 8 feet wide, 8 feet high, 10 feet long) next to his house that he used as his shack. Once you put in a decent floor, insulated the walls, and wired it... it could be really, really nice.

I don't know about the ones you spotted, but you'll find a lot of places make these. 84 Lumber used to sell them in kit form (not as fancy, of course) for about $400 and up, depending on size.

Suffice to say, if you're going to build an actual out-building ham shack, you could do worse!

The one I was looking at was 14x36 with the porch and loft. Insulated, electric pack, and plumbing pack brings it in around $15k. Just a passing idea. My thoughts were more or less 10x10 and in the 2-3k$ range, lol. I do already have water and electric in my back yard back home from the greenhouses. It would be a more than adequate setup.

Really, was thinking about an outbuilding shack.

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the kits as well.

KB3LAZ
05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Found some nice kits for chellet style outbuildings at more than reasonable prices. Really liking this idea. Once back home and working it would be a fun project. Plus I wont tie up my spare bedroom that my wife intends to be a guest room for her mother or sister when they visit.

Hum..the gears are turning. Er...maybe grinding.

W3WN
05-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Of course, a lot will depend on where you guys end up relocating to, and what you're allowed.

Some of the local communities get a little hinky about the mini-barns. (Castle Shannon wants me to get a building permit, a survey, and all that other jazz).

And, don't rule out remodeling part of the basement, or an attic space. W3SRL had done something interesting at his previous house; there was a large "crawl space" behind his bedroom under the eaves, almost a long & narrow walk-in closet. He used about half the space as an office/study area, and the other half as his shack. Pretty neat, and it was convenient for him as well. (Personally, I'd have cut a dormer in there to bring in a little light, but that's me)

But what's important is what works for you.

KC2UGV
05-30-2013, 07:52 AM
I was thinking something along these lines, so I could be "mobile" as well:
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/lusby/#ad-image-0

W3WN
05-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Also, I just glanced at their brochure. Their prices strike me as a little high. Of course, they are building the sheds/barns/outbuildings in their factory, delivering them, and installing them on the foundations.

There's no reason that someone who knows how to use tools (and I believe that you do) couldn't build their own. Or, at least, buy the "kit" from a lumber company and assemble it yourself, with appropriate modifications & customizations.

W3WN
05-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Only missing a tower!

WX7P
05-30-2013, 08:02 AM
http://hilltopstructures.com/site/cab.htm

Was looking at random things on the net and came across this link. I was thinking that this could be an interesting shack and small library. :D Just need to add electricity and some form of heating. Then again...its kind of like having a dog house. Piss the wife off and Id be sleeping in the log radio cabin, lol.

I'd get one if they throw in the free banjo...

KC2UGV
05-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Only missing a tower!

Park on a mountain. No tower needed :)

AE1PT
05-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Also, I just glanced at their brochure. Their prices strike me as a little high. Of course, they are building the sheds/barns/outbuildings in their factory, delivering them, and installing them on the foundations.

There's no reason that someone who knows how to use tools (and I believe that you do) couldn't build their own. Or, at least, buy the "kit" from a lumber company and assemble it yourself, with appropriate modifications & customizations.

The price does not seem out of line--especially with the paneled interior. I thought seriously about something very similar to this as an office when we lived in central Kentucky. There, the Amish and Mennonites build these things and stock roadside lots everywhere. You can't beat the construction quality that they put into it. Just as I was finalizing the plan, life came along and it was time to move again...

Indeed though, they would form the basis of a wicked cool shack!

wa6mhz
05-30-2013, 08:51 AM
I was looking at getting one of these to store my radios in, but I ran into problems getting the land cleared to place it. A tree that needed to go would cost me $1200 to remove. And a horse corral and shed would probably cost twice that to have removed. So you really need a clear, level place to plant that before you get one. Might be permit issues too.

KB3LAZ
05-30-2013, 09:20 AM

Lol, nice but at that cost I could just buy a small cheap house that needs work.

KB3LAZ
05-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Of course, a lot will depend on where you guys end up relocating to, and what you're allowed.

Some of the local communities get a little hinky about the mini-barns. (Castle Shannon wants me to get a building permit, a survey, and all that other jazz).

And, don't rule out remodeling part of the basement, or an attic space. W3SRL had done something interesting at his previous house; there was a large "crawl space" behind his bedroom under the eaves, almost a long & narrow walk-in closet. He used about half the space as an office/study area, and the other half as his shack. Pretty neat, and it was convenient for him as well. (Personally, I'd have cut a dormer in there to bring in a little light, but that's me)

But what's important is what works for you.

I´ll be relocating back to my home QTH as I already own it. As for building codes and such it depends on if it has a foundation, etc. Gravel and blocks and I´m good to go.

Sadly I do not have a basment. One story on a brick foundation. Now, much further in the future, that is another story. A finished basment is something that I foresee in my future.

W3WN
05-30-2013, 09:33 AM
I´ll be relocating back to my home QTH as I already own it. As for building codes and such it depends on if it has a foundation, etc. Gravel and blocks and I´m good to go.

Sadly I do not have a basment. One story on a brick foundation. Now, much further in the future, that is another story. A finished basment is something that I foresee in my future.Oh? I thought you were looking at relocating down in 4 land for some reason. My bad.

[ Once you guys get back, you WILL have to get down here for a hamfest or something. I will not take "no" for an answer on that one! Think about Butler in September, or WACOM in November. And if you're not back by then, we'll figure out something!! ]

You know your home town. So I won't say anything else other than this: If you run into headaches regarding zoning bozos, drop Mike K3AIR a note. He tells me he has yet to lose a tower / antenna / shack case...

KB3LAZ
05-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Oh? I thought you were looking at relocating down in 4 land for some reason. My bad.

[ Once you guys get back, you WILL have to get down here for a hamfest or something. I will not take "no" for an answer on that one! Think about Butler in September, or WACOM in November. And if you're not back by then, we'll figure out something!! ]

You know your home town. So I won't say anything else other than this: If you run into headaches regarding zoning bozos, drop Mike K3AIR a note. He tells me he has yet to lose a tower / antenna / shack case...

There was a time that I was looking at relocating but plans changed. I have work waiting, if not at home it will still be in 3 land. However, if that were to happen it would be close to Jim.

And, no problems here. I wont make Butler this season but it is very likely that I will make the June fest next year. There is also washfest and another smaller fest in the area a bit earlier in the year, I believe.

As for my home town, its small and there are very few complaints and I assume there are fewer zoning laws due to this. Most everyone has a tower, lol. Most of them are no longer used as they were tv or cb antennas. But if for some reason I run into an issue I will take your advice.

Also, as I stated in a previous PM, I may be looking into some club activities down your way. A bit of a drive but that is what weekends are for.

WØTKX
05-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Spain was cool and all, but you are needed here in the homeland, youngster. And your lovely wife too. :agree:

W3WN
05-30-2013, 09:16 PM
There was a time that I was looking at relocating but plans changed. I have work waiting, if not at home it will still be in 3 land. However, if that were to happen it would be close to Jim.

And, no problems here. I wont make Butler this season but it is very likely that I will make the June fest next year. There is also washfest and another smaller fest in the area a bit earlier in the year, I believe.

As for my home town, its small and there are very few complaints and I assume there are fewer zoning laws due to this. Most everyone has a tower, lol. Most of them are no longer used as they were tv or cb antennas. But if for some reason I run into an issue I will take your advice.

Also, as I stated in a previous PM, I may be looking into some club activities down your way. A bit of a drive but that is what weekends are forYeah, I know about WASHFest. :evil: [ Tell the guy running talk-in that the secret password is Gretchen. ]

Seriously, the last last one I know of in SWPA is WACOM in November... WASHFest comes next in February. The Beaver County guys tried to get something going in January, but I think they gave up after a year or two.

And, don't sweat the local activities. Get you butt home first, and get yourself and your bride settled in. Then we'll find plenty for you to do.

Which reminds me: I WILL be looking for you to help operate the station during ARRL DX 2014.

KK4AMI
05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
I love those small rustic prefab cabins. Wait until later in the marriage, the wife will be happy to send you to your man cave. I was looking at small "in-the-wall" heat pumps like they use in hotel rooms. They would be perfect for heating and cooling something like that.

Of course if you want to really protect your radio investment, family and get ready for the great Apocalypse?

K7SGJ
05-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Or, get a couple of connex boxes

http://www.containerhomes-info.com/images/lotek_chk3g.jpg (https://forums.hamisland.net/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=IcIWXSvkPZIg6M&tbnid=iAhy_kNGCQOxsM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.containerhomes-info.com%2F&ei=5h-oUfnmAuaxiwKx7IH4Cg&psig=AFQjCNFNxyKTKLmcXW9m4oE480FxohIiNA&ust=1370059110098096)

WØTKX
05-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I dunno, micro houses are neato. Need to be allowed more often in zoning ordinances.

KB3LAZ
05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I know about WASHFest. :evil: [ Tell the guy running talk-in that the secret password is Gretchen. ]

Seriously, the last last one I know of in SWPA is WACOM in November... WASHFest comes next in February. The Beaver County guys tried to get something going in January, but I think they gave up after a year or two.

And, don't sweat the local activities. Get you butt home first, and get yourself and your bride settled in. Then we'll find plenty for you to do.

Which reminds me: I WILL be looking for you to help operate the station during ARRL DX 2014.

2014 is reasonable and is likely when I will be home. Its fair to say early to late spring. If there are bumps it will be more like early summer.

Will have to do some practice runs first. I have always been a ragchewer.

KC2UGV
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
I love those small rustic prefab cabins. Wait until later in the marriage, the wife will be happy to send you to your man cave. I was looking at small "in-the-wall" heat pumps like they use in hotel rooms. They would be perfect for heating and cooling something like that.

Of course if you want to really protect your radio investment, family and get ready for the great Apocalypse?

Those are pretty neat too :)